The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > General > General/About Us
FLASHCHAT

General

Old 07-03-2010, 05:50 AM   #226
Maverick_GL

Send a message via MSN to Maverick_GL
Default :Moderator:

Won't be seeing this movie anytime soon.

"Weeds. All of them weeds. I am perfection, and I am alone in the garden of the universe." - Cyborg Superman
Maverick_GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 06:58 AM   #227
Fearless
Agent Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick_GL View Post
Won't be seeing this movie anytime soon.

...Am I correctly recalling a time when you said you don't see MOST movies?..
Fearless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 07:33 AM   #228
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonFan View Post
1) cause ever since '08 the race-card has been played almost every other week i'm sick of it
Yeah! I'm sick of minorities fighting for equal rights, too. Those despicable non-aryans always trying to... Wait. Germans got over that sort of thinking at some point in the last century. My ancestors saw the error in their ways.
Can you?
Besides, like I said: He didn't even complain about the fact that ethnic characters were played by caucasian actors just because they were caucasian. He complained because they are horrible actors and clearly far from the best choice for the role. Yes, there are roles where race is less important than an actor that really sells the part. We all know that Michael Clarke Duncan was pretty much the best thing about the Daredevil movie, despite the comic version being whiter than Betty White's pubes. But that's because he could act, not because of his pigmentation. Yes, it was mildly irritating to see a Kingpin that visually strived from the familiar image. But a skinny white actor in a fatsuit would have been a lot worse.
In this case, however, we've got the same mild irritation, but nothing to make up for it! These actors would have been the worst choices for their roles even if they were Asians, Eskimos or whatever the characters are supposed to be in the cartoon. But they are not even that. And that's what Runba was complaining about. It's like casting Ted Raimi as Luke Cage. People would have bigger problems to complain about than the skin color.
If the actors Shyamalan chose for the roles were at the DeNiro end of the talent spectrum, I'm sure Runba would have been okay with it.

Quote:
2) somehow i don't think so
You ever heard of the phrase "let sleeping dogs lie"? There's a reason why that saying became popular.

Quote:
3) if you really thought that i was a dick all the time you'd have me put on your ignore list or you ask the MODs to do something about me but you and others haven't why cause i'm not a dick i don't attack people here out right
First of all I never said you were a dick. I said that you acted like one. Enormous difference, I hope you agree.
With that said, no, you don't attack people outright. You bait them into attacking you. It's a much more elegant form of internet douchebaggery. But it gets old really fast. Oh, and technically, it's against the forum rules.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
1) Refrain from attacking individuals, or baiting/starting/participating in flame wars.
Emphasis mine.
The reason I don't have you on my ignore list (and you were there for a while) is the fact that while your constant flamebaiting stopped being entertaining years ago, your links to fan art and Zero Punctuation clips are still appreciated because they save me work. I'm lazy, what can I say?

Quote:
4) what can i say he was being a dick, and instant of fighting him i just reported what he said to the MODs nothing wrong with that
Sure there is. You provoked him into insulting you. And yes, Runba was waaaaaaaay out of line. I flagged that post as well. But without your constant flamebaiting, it never would have gotten this far. Which makes you the person co-responsible for Runba's post. That you of all people not only flag him for that, but that you go on and brag about that in the thread is sad. And kinda despicable.

Quote:
6) maybe so but i never said it sucked, i was just letting people know what their in for, because as i said i'm hoping they'll "fix" most of this for Book 2 (if there is a Book 2 that is)
I'm still trying to juggle "the director facked the film up, I almost fell asleep and they couldn't even get the names right" and "it doesn't suck". Somehow, it doesn't add up.
Are you saying that the film is better than the sum of its cringeworthy parts? If so, what are the good parts making up for the suckage? You haven't said one good thing about the film, only that it "doesn't suck", which is hard to believe after your own complaints about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Heide View Post
You are a riddle boxed inside a mystery bound in an enigma inside a conundrum wrapped into the rudest trollish behavior I've seen this side of Halfingjordan.
Quote:
7) i try
But why? I just don't get it. What's the point of deliberately acting like a troll? Do you realize that you'll never get our respect, so you're trying to get attention instead? Weren't you hugged enough as a child?

Here:

Better?
Michael Heide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 10:35 AM   #229
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche

Yo.

the above reminds me of something...............oh yea, THIS:

Tazer

Quote:
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 12:21 AM   #230
IonFan
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Heide View Post
Yeah! I'm sick of minorities fighting for equal rights, too. Those despicable non-aryans always trying to... Wait. Germans got over that sort of thinking at some point in the last century. My ancestors saw the error in their ways.
Can you?
Besides, like I said: He didn't even complain about the fact that ethnic characters were played by caucasian actors just because they were caucasian. He complained because they are horrible actors and clearly far from the best choice for the role. Yes, there are roles where race is less important than an actor that really sells the part. We all know that Michael Clarke Duncan was pretty much the best thing about the Daredevil movie, despite the comic version being whiter than Betty White's pubes. But that's because he could act, not because of his pigmentation. Yes, it was mildly irritating to see a Kingpin that visually strived from the familiar image. But a skinny white actor in a fatsuit would have been a lot worse.
In this case, however, we've got the same mild irritation, but nothing to make up for it! These actors would have been the worst choices for their roles even if they were Asians, Eskimos or whatever the characters are supposed to be in the cartoon. But they are not even that. And that's what Runba was complaining about. It's like casting Ted Raimi as Luke Cage. People would have bigger problems to complain about than the skin color.
If the actors Shyamalan chose for the roles were at the DeNiro end of the talent spectrum, I'm sure Runba would have been okay with it.

You ever heard of the phrase "let sleeping dogs lie"? There's a reason why that saying became popular.

First of all I never said you were a dick. I said that you acted like one. Enormous difference, I hope you agree.
With that said, no, you don't attack people outright. You bait them into attacking you. It's a much more elegant form of internet douchebaggery. But it gets old really fast. Oh, and technically, it's against the forum rules.

Emphasis mine.
The reason I don't have you on my ignore list (and you were there for a while) is the fact that while your constant flamebaiting stopped being entertaining years ago, your links to fan art and Zero Punctuation clips are still appreciated because they save me work. I'm lazy, what can I say?

Sure there is. You provoked him into insulting you. And yes, Runba was waaaaaaaay out of line. I flagged that post as well. But without your constant flamebaiting, it never would have gotten this far. Which makes you the person co-responsible for Runba's post. That you of all people not only flag him for that, but that you go on and brag about that in the thread is sad. And kinda despicable.

I'm still trying to juggle "the director facked the film up, I almost fell asleep and they couldn't even get the names right" and "it doesn't suck". Somehow, it doesn't add up.
Are you saying that the film is better than the sum of its cringeworthy parts? If so, what are the good parts making up for the suckage? You haven't said one good thing about the film, only that it "doesn't suck", which is hard to believe after your own complaints about it.

But why? I just don't get it. What's the point of deliberately acting like a troll? Do you realize that you'll never get our respect, so you're trying to get attention instead? Weren't you hugged enough as a child?

Here:

Better?
1)

2)

3) i am not baiting anyone into attacking me and starting a flame war (in fact i put people on my "list" to stop flame wars from starting here) so i don't know what your talking about

4)um did you even read my post to Runba? i wasn't attacking him or trying to start anything i was just saying "are people still going on about that?", it wasn't even to him and he came back with an uncalled for attack at me and for that i reported him (please note i did not attack him)

5) no what i'm saying is judge for yourself, remember theirs alot of films that suck but they've made billions and with said billions they fixed what the 1st one got wrong, and that's my hope for Book 2

6) i am not acting like a troll (if i was i'd think the MODs would of done something by now, don't you?) and really i don't need yours or anyone else's respect

7) not really, you hug like a girl

IonFan says

Quote:
F**k all the "Haters" 3 years in and i still support our dear leader, one Donald J. Trump
IonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 06:57 AM   #231
Larfleeze92
Corps Honor Guard

Can we get on topic and continue to agree that this movie sucks major fucking dick
Larfleeze92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 01:44 PM   #232
Tazer

Yo.

Tazer

Quote:
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Old 07-04-2010, 02:10 PM   #233
Nite Owl
Parallax Host

The movie wasn't bad in and of itself... the horrendous acting (especially from that one waterbending chick) made it that way. The story (for a 100 minute version of a 400 minute story) wasn't particularly bad, but they should've made it 30 minutes longer to flesh out certain things (namely the relationship between the white-haired princess chick and the sucky acting waterbender's brother). The effects were great, and the action was really good for a PG feature.

I think if Shyamalan had gotten a couple better actors and allowed the film to be a bit longer, it would've been all around a much better film.
That said... its still not entirely bad, and was a fun time at the theater.

My avid Avatar fan of a nephew loved it!
Old 07-04-2010, 04:08 PM   #234
Tazer

Yo.

well, my avid Avatar fan nephewS were disappointed.

Tazer

Quote:
Old 07-04-2010, 08:49 PM   #235
Nite Owl
Parallax Host

Well... mine's 11... how old's yours?
Old 07-04-2010, 10:31 PM   #236
Lantern A-train
Guardian of the Universe

Direct quotes from my niece and nephew ages 9 and 11 respectfully

Niece: uncle that movie was really bad. I was disappointed

Nephew: uncle arnold that movie was terrible....that wasnt the last airbender at all

We then procedeed to all spend the next 20 minutes bashing this film
Old 07-04-2010, 10:58 PM   #237
Marvelous Iggy
God Of Turtles

Send a message via Skype™ to Marvelous Iggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantern A-train View Post
Direct quotes from my niece and nephew ages 9 and 11 respectfully

Niece: uncle that movie was really bad. I was disappointed

Nephew: uncle arnold that movie was terrible....that wasnt the last airbender at all

We then procedeed to all spend the next 20 minutes bashing this film
I can only hope my nephew will just as wise as yours
Marvelous Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 11:04 PM   #238
IonFan
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larfleeze92 View Post
Can we get on topic and continue to agree that this movie sucks major fucking dick
that i can agree with

wonder if this will be the end of M. Night?

IonFan says

Quote:
F**k all the "Haters" 3 years in and i still support our dear leader, one Donald J. Trump
IonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 11:16 PM   #239
Shingo Wol

Nah, just the end of him making movies for younger audiances.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:08 AM   #240
Nite Owl
Parallax Host

M Night is already setting up a new psycho thriller with Bruce Willis involved... so this most definately WON'T be the end of him.
I just hope having Bruce back, he'll be able to regain that brilliance that began to dwindle when they stopped working together.

The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable were brilliant.
Signs and The Village were okay, but not great.
Lady in the Water and The Happening were stupid.
And The Last Airbender doesn't really count.
Old 07-05-2010, 01:38 PM   #241
Marvelous Iggy
God Of Turtles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Owl View Post
M Night is already setting up a new psycho thriller with Bruce Willis involved... so this most definately WON'T be the end of him.
I just hope having Bruce back, he'll be able to regain that brilliance that began to dwindle when they stopped working together.

The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable were brilliant.
Signs and The Village were okay, but not great.
Lady in the Water and The Happening were stupid.
And The Last Airbender doesn't really count.
Airbender does count, that's three shitty movies in a row.
Old 07-05-2010, 02:44 PM   #242
Nite Owl
Parallax Host

It doesn't count becasue it was an adaptation and not an original creation... plus its "shittiness" is more akin to Signs and The Village than the last two.
Old 07-05-2010, 02:49 PM   #243
Marvelous Iggy
God Of Turtles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Owl View Post
It doesn't count becasue it was an adaptation and not an original creation... plus its "shittiness" is more akin to Signs and The Village than the last two.
Just because it was not his "creation" does not excuse him for the shittiness of Last Airbender, it's not even the hardcore fans alone who are saying it's terrible the average joe is saying it's terrible. Signs was his last good well done movie
Old 07-05-2010, 03:25 PM   #244
Nite Owl
Parallax Host

Even Signs was hokey, really... swing away Jack! Swing away! LAAAME! Unbreakable was his last REAL good movie... and really, it was head and shoulder's above Sixth Sense, which, itself, hasn't held well over the years. You really want to split hairs, Unbreakable is his ONLY good movie, as its the only one that has really stood the test of time, meaning you can go back and watch it with the same thrill as it held when it came out.
Old 07-05-2010, 03:54 PM   #245
Jeffi.Kaiser
Guy's Designated Dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by irongreen2814 View Post
Just because it was not his "creation" does not excuse him for the shittiness of Last Airbender, it's not even the hardcore fans alone who are saying it's terrible the average joe is saying it's terrible. Signs was his last good well done movie
Agreed. Signs was very well done in my opinion. I think there were some plot holes there, but overall it was great. I just think that the aliens were a bit dumb for coming to try and take over a planet thats 70% water
Old 07-05-2010, 04:12 PM   #246
Darth_Andrea
Owned by Natu

Send a message via MSN to Darth_Andrea

Last Airbender is the worst Animated to live action adaptation I have ever seen... it's worse Than Masters Of The Universe....

And that's saying something...

Darth_Andrea
Old 07-05-2010, 04:14 PM   #247
Marvelous Iggy
God Of Turtles

Old 07-05-2010, 04:15 PM   #248
Nite Owl
Parallax Host

MotU has the cult sci-fi cheese factor, though... and that makes it a must own classic.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:24 PM   #249
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

A cult factor that Airbender will probably never get.
Michael Heide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 04:25 PM   #250
Nite Owl
Parallax Host

Probably not.