The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > General > General/About Us
FLASHCHAT

General

Old 07-05-2010, 04:27 PM   #251
Nite Owl
Parallax Host

Which is actually rather unfortunate... I kinda hope they get a different director (like, an "actor's director") then make the other two planned films.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:31 PM   #252
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0938283/ratings

Amazing.
Michael Heide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 04:36 PM   #253
Darth_Andrea
Owned by Natu

Send a message via MSN to Darth_Andrea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Heide View Post
A cult factor that Airbender will probably never get.
But it was still a incredibly bad adaptation. When making a live action movie based on a popular animated show they need to figure out what elements it has that make it popular and keep those. Neither MOTU or Last Airbender have done that.

The comedy factor from Avatar wasn't there, the sarcastic lines from Soka wasn't there. Complete innocence of Aang wasn't there. M. Night made a movie that was dark gritty and totally with out personality from a show that was inspiring, hope filled, and fun. I am fairly sure the other 2 Avatar movies are dead because of the Crap that is showing in theaters now. And it wouldn't be the first time a planned trilogy was killed because the first movie was a flop.

Darth_Andrea
Old 07-05-2010, 04:37 PM   #254
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

Yeah, but Masters of the Universe at least had awesome production design. Airbender looks kinda average.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:42 PM   #255
Nite Owl
Parallax Host

Average for today... Aweinspiring and mind-boggling for the 80's. The two movies side by side, Airbender would be considered greater, hands down. Thing you gotta remember about 80's movies is that they all have that nostalgia feel to them.

I mean, when you're watching Highlander on BD and you can see the strings holding Connor up during the final quickening... THATS COOL!

But if you were to see a modern movie on BD and see the strings holding someone up... you'd scoff at the horrible production value.
Old 07-05-2010, 05:22 PM   #256
Marvelous Iggy
God Of Turtles

Send a message via Skype™ to Marvelous Iggy

Maybe animes should not be made into live action movies. It just does not work
Marvelous Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 05:29 PM   #257
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

I wouldn't be so sure of that. With the right director and the right script, you could make any material into a live action movie. It's just hard to find that winning combination.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:09 PM   #258
Nite Owl
Parallax Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by irongreen2814 View Post
Avatar: The Last Airbender isn't an anime... its entirely American produced. Style does not constitute anime as anime, itself, has hundreds of styles therein. It is a medium, and outside Japan it ONLY refers to animation done through Japanese production (inside Japan its the word for cartoon and encompasses all animated works, including Disney, but thats beside the point).
Old 07-05-2010, 08:18 PM   #259
Marvelous Iggy
God Of Turtles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Owl View Post
Avatar: The Last Airbender isn't an anime... its entirely American produced. Style does not constitute anime as anime, itself, has hundreds of styles therein. It is a medium, and outside Japan it ONLY refers to animation done through Japanese production (inside Japan its the word for cartoon and encompasses all animated works, including Disney, but thats beside the point).
Well excuse me, it has the anime style so I associate it with anime. Maybe the correct term is American anime
Old 07-05-2010, 08:47 PM   #260
mateus
R.D.J.'s Baby Mama

Send a message via AIM to mateus Send a message via MSN to mateus Send a message via Yahoo to mateus

Quote:
its more than if people did not fear the incredible loss of money a movie made from animes could suffer there may be better ones.

what id like to see first, at this point, is a direct to DVD live action anime movie. see how that sells and then aim for the silver screen.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:05 PM   #261
The_Mad_Dragon
Captain Pervert

Send a message via AIM to The_Mad_Dragon Send a message via Yahoo to The_Mad_Dragon

Old 07-06-2010, 10:32 AM   #262
Nite Owl
Parallax Host

Quote:
Well excuse me, it has the anime style so I associate it with anime. Maybe the correct term is American anime
Actually... yes. That is EXACTLY the correct term.

American-anime refers to the many American cartoons that utilize a style akin to the Japanese "anime stereotype"... it is most often done in order to mislead its viewers, or at least garner that fanbase which anime seems to have through default (which is a flawed assumption, but one that seems to work regardless).
Old 07-06-2010, 10:40 AM   #263
Mewzard
Say what you will about masturbation...

American, Japanese, Looney Toons, Toei, it's all anime. The only ones who say otherwise so insistently are clearly embarrassed that they're watching Japanese Cartoons (not ashamed to admit I enjoy the occasional Japanese Cartoon).

As for the movie in question, I haven't seen. I've only recently seen the whole series. In starting the Dragon Ball Kai dub on Nicktoons, I noticed, shortly after the start, that they were marathoning all of Avatar, one season a week for three weeks, with full text commentary by the creators. I watched it all, and I enjoyed it greatly, it was a fun show.

From what I see and have heard of the movie...something was lost in translation, and it's sad. Why do so many adaptations fail to capture the magic of the original (or, in some cases *coughsupermariobroscough* fail to even look remotely like the source material)?

I just gotta say, I'm saddened by this not being all that good.

Come listen to our cast, and have a ball while you're at it! : D
Mewzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:51 AM   #264
Nite Owl
Parallax Host

/sigh

The definition of anime is as follows:

anime
n.
1. A style of animation developed in Japan, characterized by stylized colorful art and often adult themes.
2. (Performing Arts) A type of Japanese animated film with themes and styles similar to manga comics.

Definiition 1 is why American anime retains the word "anime" (and why any other production with one of the many stylizations from another country would retain the descriptive post nationality of origin). However, definition 2 is the actuality of the lone term (and the original definition as the extension wasn't brought about until the last decade or so, when America and other countries began to utilize the popular Japanese stylizations for their own productions).

And I love anime, Mewzard... I own a shit ton of it... so clearly, you're opening statement is incorrect.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:03 PM   #265
Marvelous Iggy
God Of Turtles

Nite Owl if that's how we define the term anime, then that's how we define it
Old 07-06-2010, 02:29 PM   #266
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche

Yo.

Quote:
Well... mine's 11... how old's yours?
14 & 8, and BOTH hated it.

Quote:
It doesn't count becasue it was an adaptation and not an original creation... plus its "shittiness" is more akin to Signs and The Village than the last two.
actually, since he REWROTE the story, Id say its an original......................PoS that is.

Tazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 03:23 PM   #267
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

M. Night Shyamalan Says 'The Last Airbender' DVD Will Include Cut Comedy Scenes, No Kyoshi Warriors...Yet

Quote:
"The Last Airbender" didn't win its opening weekend, but it did manage to overcome less-than-stellar reviews on its way to a hefty $70.5 million haul since its Thursday premiere.

While the jury's still out on whether we'll get a chance to see the second chapter of Aang's quest to save the world and unite the elemental nations, one thing's for sure: "The Last Airbender" will arrive on DVD (and Blu-Ray) down the road. When I had the chance to chat with "Airbender" director M. Night Shyamalan, I asked him what we're likely to see on the DVD release of the film — and whether we'll eventually get a "director's cut" of "The Last Airbender."

"All my movies are the director's cut, so that's it," he laughed. "You get to watch it in the movie theaters."

Still, Shyamalan indicated that a few of the "Last Airbender" deleted scenes he described last week will likely find their way onto the home version of the film — with one exception.

"I do want to show some of the scenes I cut out," he explained. "I probably won't show the Kyoshi Warriors because I want to save them for the second movie, because I'm going to have to introduce them all over again."

"There are a lot of scenes I took out that I want to show you," he added.

While he wouldn't go into too many specifics, Shyamalan hinted that some of the more comedic elements of the project should make the cut for the DVD's bonus features, especially after he spent so much time cutting them out the film.

"Actually, some [scenes] that were a little too comic, they're in the DVD," he said.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:07 PM   #268
Tazer

Yo.

so, basically he left out the shit that likely wouldve made the fans *happy* & wouldve fleshed out the characters more, in order to keep the focus on..........*wateverdafuck*??

FUCKING DIPSHIT!!

Tazer

Quote:
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:57 PM   #269
IonFan
Forum Member

that's it he's done for

also WHO THE H@LLS GOING TO BUY THIS SH!T ON DvD?

IonFan says

Quote:
F**k all the "Haters" 3 years in and i still support our dear leader, one Donald J. Trump
IonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 06:52 PM   #270
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

So was it the acting or the story that wasn't right?
Old 07-06-2010, 06:55 PM   #271
Tazer

Yo.

so all told it cleared $40M in its 1st 4 days; who wants to bet if it'll make back the full $150M budget cost?? or even, much respect to those who gamble seriously, makes a PROFIT??

cmon, any takers??

Tazer

Quote:
Old 07-06-2010, 06:59 PM   #272
Tazer

Yo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.West View Post
So was it the acting or the story that wasn't right?
the characterization was non-existent; just about everything that shouldve been there to make U care about the characters was removed/missing.

case in point: theres NO interaction between Aang & Appa, or any real reaction toward Appa from Sokka & Katara, cuz he was reduced to that of an un-named beast of burden.

Tazer

Quote:
Old 07-07-2010, 11:20 PM   #273
IonFan
Forum Member

Is THE LAST AIRBENDER Shyamalan's Last Chance?

IonFan says

Quote:
F**k all the "Haters" 3 years in and i still support our dear leader, one Donald J. Trump
Old 07-12-2010, 03:56 AM   #274
Tazer

Yo.

ok, I think this chic could pass for Katara if she droppd a few pounds (I liked the "Toph" here tho):

Tazer

Quote:
Old 11-11-2010, 05:38 PM   #275
IonFan
Forum Member

‘The Last Airbender’ DVD/Blu-ray Details

is anyone getting this DvD?

IonFan says

Quote: