The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern on the Screen
FLASHCHAT

GL in Animation

Old 11-17-2010, 08:58 PM   #5226
JohnnyV
Pictionary Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD80MAC View Post
It's not changes that come back to bite comic book movies in the ass; it's whether they're good movies that appeal to a wide audience to begin with. Iron Man and Nolan's Batman films made massive changes, but did superbly well because anyone could enjoy them. Scott Pilgrim was faithful, but it tanked. Its problem was that it was too niche, and did not appeal to a mainstream audience. Movie producers always go for the larger audience; not doing so is foolhardy. It's simple business.
But what constitutes a change that appeals to the masses? Again, going back to my point about the style changes regarding the lantern. What about that says general audiences are going to accept that over what is shown in the comics?

Not sure I agree about Iron Man. Sure, they did update it to fit into modern times. However, the suit remained rather faithful. And the character of Tony Stark was on the money. While we don't know everything about how Hal is going to be shown, the trailer showed off something completely different than what Hal is known as in the comics. And going back to your point, does that change necessarily mean more ticket sales?

Follow The Nobodies Comic on Facebook or Twitter
JohnnyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 09:04 PM   #5227
Echo7Solo
Star Sapphire's Love Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMarcumUSN View Post
Joker was a special circumstance. And the Joker has never been 100% portrayed the same way each time.

So that one doesn't count? Oh ok, um... lets try again. The bat suit, Two Face, Robin, Batgirl, Alfred, Gordon..... I can keep going on. My point is there has yet to be a comic movie that is spot on like the comic. Even Lex from Superman (what has been considered for years as the first "real" comic movie and in some circles the best) was not like he was in the comics.

To translate to film you have to change some things.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:05 PM   #5228
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

How did Iron Man respect the source? Nick Fury isn't black!

THE DARK KNIGHT is the standard for a great comic book ADAPTATION, but Iron Man is what everyone aims to be. A money making, nothing extravagant but enjoyable film.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:09 PM   #5229
ErikBauer
Sinestro's Sparring Partner

After watching the trailer more than 30 times in a day, now I know I'll risk to bankrupt myself by watching the movie at the theatres more and more and more if the final result will be as good as I suppose...
ErikBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 09:13 PM   #5230
Doc2814
Anti-Monitor

Send a message via AIM to Doc2814

Those were character adaptations. The suit had to be a bit more realistic because Batman is the most plausible of most these films. Green Lantern is not. Iron Man is not. So staying true to something like... constructs, the Lantern, etc is easier to pull off.

I'm a leaf on the wind...
Doc2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 09:17 PM   #5231
JohnnyV
Pictionary Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.West View Post
Come on West, I'll give you a moment to think about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo7Solo View Post
So that one doesn't count? Oh ok, um... lets try again. The bat suit, Two Face, Robin, Batgirl, Alfred, Gordon..... I can keep going on.
You're not referencing Batman & Robin are you?

Follow The Nobodies Comic on Facebook or Twitter
JohnnyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 09:17 PM   #5232
ek79

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyV View Post
So you want every single discussion regarding the movie to be a love-fest, and not critique what we see? Filmmakers are there to provide us with entertainment we want, not the other way around. I'm not going to support a decision or style just because they want me to. How boring would that make forums?
People are criticizing everything! And they are asking you nothing. Wake up.

Hahahaha! End of topic for me. Gonna watch the teaser one more time.
ek79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 09:18 PM   #5233
Doc2814
Anti-Monitor

Send a message via AIM to Doc2814

He's black in the Ultimate Universe.

I'm a leaf on the wind...
Doc2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 09:20 PM   #5234
ek79

Quote:
So that one doesn't count? Oh ok, um... lets try again. The bat suit, Two Face, Robin, Batgirl, Alfred, Gordon..... I can keep going on. My point is there has yet to be a comic movie that is spot on like the comic. Even Lex from Superman (what has been considered for years as the first "real" comic movie and in some circles the best) was not like he was in the comics.

To translate to film you have to change some things.
So true...

But no... The fanatics won´t sleep tonight again.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:30 PM   #5235
ErikBauer

C'mon, guys... WB is bringing to cinematic life the whole GL universe... Kilwog, Sinestro, Tomar Re, Hal Jordan... OA... everything is in there... GL is going to have one of the most awesome costumes ever, the Ring is... well it emanates power just by looking at it, Abin Sur... is nearly perfect... Hammond is fiendish and scaring enough...
... and you are moaning about white gloves, some funny quote and a lantern whose alien aspect is considered cool by many.
Please relax and try enjoying the trailer... this summer will be slow to come!
ErikBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 09:33 PM   #5236
Echo7Solo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMarcumUSN View Post
Those were character adaptations. The suit had to be a bit more realistic because Batman is the most plausible of most these films. Green Lantern is not. Iron Man is not. So staying true to something like... constructs, the Lantern, etc is easier to pull off.
I'll give you the lantern to an extent (yet for the life of me I don't know why every lantern in the universe should look just like old train lanterns from Earth) But as far as the suit goes as much as I like the comic look more this does make a lot more sense. I mean it looks like it is made of energy while when you look at Hal, Kyle, John, Guy, Kilowog or any of the GLC it looks just the same as random hero #487. It doesn't look like just another set of spandex.

As for the constructs we have seen one and as stated before it seems like it was one of if not the first one. Plus it isn't that far from the comics. It doesn't look bad at all and I know I'm pretty happy about it.

Plus there are things along the same scale in other movies that are changed that just seem to be excused for one reason or another.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:15 PM   #5237
Zander Yurami
Fear is Power

Quote:
http://comicrelated.com/graphics/sol...AVENGERS_3.jpg

Wanna try that one again?
Old 11-17-2010, 10:21 PM   #5238
Darth_Andrea
Owned by Natu

Send a message via MSN to Darth_Andrea

I couldn't help myself the trailer was so cool I felt it deserved the proper music. So with a little tweaking I added a little slide show of images before the trailer starts and included the song The Touch from the 1980's transformers movie to it

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Darth_Andrea
Old 11-17-2010, 10:26 PM   #5239
sj_hawkins

I'd like for the film to I dunno, be fully released before it's condemned as being the worst thing ever.

However, there are some iffy things about it, without doubt. It's the same with most films - we'll always find something that isn't quite right. Nothing I've seen ruins it for me though, and I'm happy to see how this plays out.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:28 PM   #5240
MasonACBB
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_hawkins View Post
I'd like for the film to I dunno, be fully released before it's condemned as being the worst thing ever.

However, there are some iffy things about it, without doubt. It's the same with most films - we'll always find something that isn't quite right. Nothing I've seen ruins it for me though, and I'm happy to see how this plays out.
Well I've been in this discussion for months, and lately no one's condemned the movie at all, just shared the pet peeves they have with it, which are part of their opinion, which is fully respected.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:48 PM   #5241
Echo7Solo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonACBB View Post
Well I've been in this discussion for months, and lately no one's condemned the movie at all, just shared the pet peeves they have with it, which are part of their opinion, which is fully respected.
here more than in other places people have been cool. A minor bitch here, a small gripe there but nothing bad. On other sites people are pretty bad. But then again more people here have a idea of what they are talking about.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:52 PM   #5242
sj_hawkins

I haven't been around here lately, but on other places on the internet I've seen the classic "worst thing ever" comments from people.

A minor bitch here and there, or genuine constructive criticism are what we're here to do. I'm sure if we broke down the trailer scene by scene, we could nitpick all day about tweaks we could make.

Criticising is fine. It's just when people do that and let it overshadow any possible decent elements it's a tad stupid.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:53 PM   #5243
MasonACBB
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
here more than in other places people have been cool. A minor bitch here, a small gripe there but nothing bad. On other sites people are pretty bad. But then again more people here have a idea of what they are talking about.
Yeah, I checked the DC boards last night and people were being pretty fuckin bad.......I didn't even join in the conversation.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:54 PM   #5244
Godmera
Champion of the World

Send a message via AIM to Godmera Send a message via Yahoo to Godmera
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Andrea View Post
I couldn't help myself the trailer was so cool I felt it deserved the proper music. So with a little tweaking I added a little slide show of images before the trailer starts and included the song The Touch from the 1980's transformers movie to it

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Darth_Andrea
D_A you copy me I did this years ago, without the movie stuff of course. Now if I can only find it.
Godmera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:58 PM   #5245
lanternut
Alpha-Lantern

Send a message via MSN to lanternut

Quote:

THE DARK KNIGHT is the standard for a great comic book ADAPTATION, but Iron Man is what everyone aims to be. A money making, nothing extravagant but enjoyable film.
It was the ending of DK that really knocked the wind out of the sails. I still finish it and feel the momentum lost at the end.

The GL special effects in the trailer don't look as tight as Iron Man (Remember NOT a Marvel Zombie either...) I think non geeks are going to sense the same...
Old 11-17-2010, 10:59 PM   #5246
ek79

"Green Lantern" pt. 1: @GeoffJohns0 Hoping people would catch that! RT @wombat1974 @GeoffJohns0 nice Sapphire logo on Carol's helmet there, Mr Johns
-Geoff Johns, Writer ("Blackest Night," "The Flash")

"Green Lantern" pt. 2: @loveandcapes I don't mind Carol being a pilot. Just not sure about her directly competing with Hal.
-Thomas Zahler, Writer/Artist ("Love and Capes")

"Green Lantern" pt. 3: @neilkleid Wife liked the GREEN LANTERN trailer. That usually means the comic book movie's good. And, you know, that we'll get a babysitter to see it
-Neil Kleid, Writer ("Ursa Minors," "Action, Ohio")

"Green Lantern" pt. 4: @ThatKevinSmith Via @mswift44 "what do you think of the Green Lantern trailer?" Kilowog, Tomar Re, Sinestro... Looks like Martin Campbell done good. I'm in.
-Kevin Smith, Writer ("Batman: The Widening Gyre," "Green Arrow")

"Green Lantern" pt. 5: @Michael_Cho I keep thinking the Green Lantern movie mask makes Ryan Reynolds look like Ben Stiller. LOL
-Michael Cho, Artist ("X-Men: First Class," "The Age of the Sentry")

"Green Lantern" pt. 6: @BrianDenham Dear Green Lantern trailer, you SO could have been the Right Stuff meets Star Wars, but you look like Hot Shots! meets Stealth.
-Brian Denham, Artist ("Iron Man: Hypervelocity," "Man-Thing")

"Green Lantern" pt. 7: @OKBJGM no one saw the betrayal coming? really? THE DUDE'S NAME IS "SINESTRO" FOR GOD'S SAKE!
-Javier Grillo-Marxuach, Writer ("Annihilation: Super-Skrull," "The Middleman")

"Green Lantern" pt. 8: @robertliefeld Just watched Green Lantern trailer. Looks GREAT! This movie will do very, very well. OA looks awesome. What're the gripes about??
-Rob Liefeld, Writer/Artist ("X-Force," "Youngblood")

"Green Lantern" pt. 9: @HackinTimSeeley Confused by Green Lantern trailer hate. Have the haters never read Green Lantern comic? It's about Ryan Reynolds firing green CGI effects.
-Tim Seeley, Writer/Artist ("Hack/Slash," "Ant Man and The Wasp")

"Green Lantern" pt. 10: @paulazaceta @PaoloMRivera I agree. Green Lantern should look like Tron but instead it looks like My Super Ex-Girlfriend.
-Paul Azaceta, Artist ("The Amazing Spider-Man," "Punisher Noir")

Deep Thought for the Day:

@MarkWaid I stopped using the "40 yr olds who live in their mother's basement" slam after I realized it also applies to Batman.
-Mark Waid, Writer ("Kingdom Come," "Irredeemable")

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2010/11/17...witter-report/
Old 11-17-2010, 11:00 PM   #5247
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

I just want to say that I'm glad to be here right now, watching you guys talk and converse about something that, I know in my heart, will be great. This truly is THE GL place to be on the intarwebs.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:01 PM   #5248
Echo7Solo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonACBB View Post
Yeah, I checked the DC boards last night and people were being pretty fuckin bad.......I didn't even join in the conversation.
it isn't just the comic sites, pretty much any "fanboy" site on any topic is acting crazy.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:05 PM   #5249
MasonACBB
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
it isn't just the comic sites, pretty much any "fanboy" site on any topic is acting crazy.
I am delighted by CBM's poll results on the trailer, as of now it falls like this:
"It looks good, I'm hyped!"= 1,730 votes, 64.22%
"Meh."= 681 votes, 25.28%
"That looks horrible! I'm disappointed!"= 283 votes, 10.50%
Believe it or not, the fact that "Meh." got more votes than "That looks horrible!" makes me happy as well. This means that more people are content with the film than the number who hate it.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:16 PM   #5250
BigBlueLantern
Fatality's Blacksmith

I am so hyped for this movie, I mean are there some things I wish were a bit different, sure but that doesnt mean I am not in total love with this movie.

On another note, I showed the trailer to a buddy of mine who has never read a comic in his life, and he was in awe of it. His exact words were " That was awesome!" Now hes pumped to see it too!
BigBlueLantern is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
movie