The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern on the Screen
FLASHCHAT

GL in Animation

Old 11-19-2010, 04:36 PM   #5376
InterestingJohn
Alpha-Lantern

Send a message via AIM to InterestingJohn Send a message via MSN to InterestingJohn Send a message via Yahoo to InterestingJohn

Cracked is funny when there's something to make fun of... like the "Shake weight"
Old 11-19-2010, 05:11 PM   #5377
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD80MAC View Post
The look is irrelevant (except for Megamind).
The only similarity between Hammond and Megamind is the huge head. Which Hammond had first, so I don't know what you're trying to say.

Quote:
It's the actions he was talking about.
Fine, let's look at those actions.

Quote:
Still the same problem: it's the same female lead role from other superhero movies. To quote the author, "You know that the female lead's arc is that she starts off being disgusted by the cocky, male protagonist's cocky maleness and ends up coming around and falling in love with the man inside. ...
Except that Pepper is never disgusted by Stark, she is clearly pining for him from the start.
Quote:
God forbid you have a female character in a superhero movie whose interest is not based entirely on the fact that her boyfriend is a superhero. Let's go ahead and reinforce the idea that it doesn't matter if you're arrogant, reckless or objectively terrible; women only care about power and/or cool suits."
Uhm... Mary Jane Watson, Spider-Man 1-3. Chase Meridian, Batman Forever. Julie Madison, Batman & Robin. Elektra Natchios, Daredevil.

None of those care about the power and/or suits. All of them care about the man behind the mask. Most of them don't even know that he is the man behind the mask when they fall in love.

Quote:
Still a valid point.
What, that the superhero is using one of his powers in the trailer? Funny, since I read another GL trailer review today that complained about Hal not flying enough, standing or running around in some of the action scenes.

Quote:
Criticism is certainly warranted. The film and trailer are not automatically awesome just because it's Green Lantern.
Nor is it automatically bad just because the reviewer is bored by the genre.
Michael Heide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 05:41 PM   #5378
mrumsey
Fatality's Blacksmith

I attended a midnight showing of Harry Potter last night and wore a GL shirt as a bit of an experiment. The trailer's opening established in the minds of the people there for whom GL is not on their radar that this was going to be a promotion for your standard rom-com movie, most chuckled at the "water in tap" line and the Hal racing to get to Ferris.

However, when Abin Sur shows up and the whole tone of the trailer changed, people's reactions were very interesting. I heard several "oohs" and "ahhs" and a couple of "cool" comments as everything unfurled for them for the first time - particularly on the scenes from Oa. From the reactions to Hammond I'd say that they found him to be very creepy. The scene between Hal and Tom at the end re-established that this is also a fun movie and I overheard people saying just that. After 2 1/2 hours of Potter I actually had a couple of people notice my shirt and ask me more about GL.

When I sit back and think about it, the trailer accomplishes the goal of getting GL on the radar of the average movie goer and creating the notion that this move is going to be an adventure worth seeing on the big screen. Even though the CG may not be polished (and no one commented on that at all), this teaser was a great way to promote GL in front of the masses at what will likely be the most watched film this holiday - and that's a good thing.

Last edited by mrumsey; 11-19-2010 at 05:45 PM.
mrumsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 05:49 PM   #5379
InterestingJohn
Alpha-Lantern

Send a message via AIM to InterestingJohn Send a message via MSN to InterestingJohn Send a message via Yahoo to InterestingJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrumsey View Post
I attended a midnight showing of Harry Potter last night and wore a GL shirt as a bit of an experiment. The trailer's opening established in the minds of the people there for whom GL is not on their radar that this was going to be a promotion for your standard rom-com movie, most chuckled at the "water in tap" line and the Hal racing to get to Ferris.

However, when Abin Sur shows up and the whole tone of the trailer changed, people's reactions were very interesting. I heard several "oohs" and "ahhs" and a couple of "cool" comments as everything unfurled for them for the first time - particularly on the scenes from Oa. From the reactions to Hammond I'd say that they found him to be very creepy. The scene between Hal and Tom at the end re-established that this is also a fun movie and I overheard people saying just that. After 2 1/2 hours of Potter I actually had a couple of people notice my shirt and ask me more about GL.

When I sit back and think about it, the trailer accomplishes the goal of getting GL on the radar of the average movie goer and creating the notion that this move is going to be an adventure worth seeing on the big screen. Even though the CG may not be polished (and no one commented on that at all), this teaser was a great way to promote GL in front of the masses at what will likely be the most watched film this holiday - and that's a good thing.
Excellent report my good sir!
Old 11-19-2010, 05:54 PM   #5380
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

Who the hell "oohs" and "ahhs" anymore? lol
Old 11-19-2010, 05:57 PM   #5381
Kuhan

Send a message via ICQ to Kuhan Send a message via AIM to Kuhan Send a message via MSN to Kuhan Send a message via Yahoo to Kuhan Send a message via Skype™ to Kuhan

About the Cracked article:

Point #6 is somewhat valid, but it appears that they've never read a Green Lantern comic... Hal Jordan does sleep around a lot, but yeah, they are trying to rip off Iron Man a bit, but mainly because the characters of Tony Stark and Hal Jordan in the comics are similarly unlikeable. Similar enough that they combined them in Amalgam comics.

Point #5 OH MY GOD THIS IS A PRE-EXISTING PROPERTY! They're not ripping off another movie, they're basing it on a FUCKING COMIC BOOK. READ THE GODDAMNED ORIGIN STORY BEFORE CALLING IT A RIP-OFF!

Point #4 That's not necessarily true... You never SEE him ditch the costume. Also, you suck. Incredible Hulk was good.

Point #3 FUCKING COMIC BOOK

Point #2 Did you know that in many of Hal Jordan's origin stories, Hector Hammond is the main villain, because he also acts as a love interest for Carol at first? You're stupid. Shut up.

Point #1 You're stupid. I hate you. Go die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.West View Post
DID ANYONE READ THE ARTICLE?!!!!!!
Kuhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 06:02 PM   #5382
Magpie100
Kilowog's Recruit

http://comicbookmovie.com/fansites/J.../news/?a=25420
Tired of karaoke talent shows? Bored with reality TV programmes populated by the kind of people who think having a personalty disorder constitutes as having a personality? Then you need The International Review in your life and you need it now.
Magpie100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 06:05 PM   #5383
Gregory The Magnificent
Fatality's Blacksmith

I couldn't even finish that article. The author was making horrendous stretches of fact to validate his points, and right around the part where he was comparing the Kents being "out in the middle of nowhere" (which, by the way, Kansas is full of the middle of nowhere) to Hal somehow finding the ring as opposed to being taken to the crash site like the trailer shows. It's bunk. Not funny, or accurate.

And yeah, when the fuck did Hal decide to turn down the corps in the trailer? When he was doubting himself? That was a stretch that the author should be ashamed of making. Poor writing and analysis.
Gregory The Magnificent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 06:14 PM   #5384
InterestingJohn
Alpha-Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie100 View Post
I'm pretty sure Pietro already stated the whole Parallax attacking Abin as fact a while ago.

But that's the problem when you have a site with news written by every moron on the internet :\
Old 11-19-2010, 06:16 PM   #5385
Lantern A-train
Guardian of the Universe

I still find it funny that people are taking an article seriously from a site that provides us with such important info as these

http://www.cracked.com/article_18834...dnt-exist.html

http://www.cracked.com/blog/what-rol...n-youre-drunk/

Where would we be without them. It's pretty obvious this dude's only outlet to comics is the movies.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:21 PM   #5386
TorchBearer2814
Corps Honor Guard

i keep watching the trailer every day and the more and more i look at it the more i get used to it. I think alot of the skepticism is from not being used to seeing something like this on screen. Im sure after people watch it minds will change lol
Old 11-19-2010, 06:30 PM   #5387
SD80MAC
Not a True Fan

I'm seeing HP7 tomorrow morning with my girlfriend, and I have NOT mentioned anything about the GL trailer's existence, simply because I want to see her honest reaction. Other than the expecting picking on me for being a GL nerd, of course.

In other news, I don't know if I mentioned this in the past...but I'll be seeing the GL film opening weekend with my father. Why? Because he bought me my very first GL comic book way back in 1985, as he enjoyed the character in the early 1960s. In other words, my fandom is all his fault.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:31 PM   #5388
InterestingJohn
Alpha-Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD80MAC View Post
I'm seeing HP7 tomorrow morning with my girlfriend, and I have NOT mentioned anything about the GL trailer's existence, simply because I want to see her honest reaction. Other than the expecting picking on me for being a GL nerd, of course.

In other news, I don't know if I mentioned this in the past...but I'll be seeing the GL film opening weekend with my father. Why? Because he bought me my very first GL comic book way back in 1985, as he enjoyed the character in the early 1960s. In other words, my fandom is all his fault.
Nice
Old 11-19-2010, 06:49 PM   #5389
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

I don't know how you guys talk about this every day.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:51 PM   #5390
Superlantern
mmmm Beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.West View Post
I don't know how you guys talk about this every day.
go back 10 or so pages... this is much better.
Superlantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 06:53 PM   #5391
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe

I remember once this wasn't even being updated on a regular bases.
Mister.Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 06:58 PM   #5392
Superlantern
mmmm Beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superlantern View Post
go back 10 or so pages... this is much better.
so cracked is now taking shots at the trailer
http://www.cracked.com/blog/why-new-...s-so-familiar/
Old 11-19-2010, 07:00 PM   #5393
InterestingJohn
Alpha-Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superlantern View Post
so cracked is now taking shots at the trailer
http://www.cracked.com/blog/why-new-...s-so-familiar/
We've been discussing that for the last page or two
Old 11-19-2010, 07:19 PM   #5394
TorchBearer2814
Corps Honor Guard

the guy who reviewed it is an idiot plane and simple.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:09 PM   #5395
Echo7Solo
Star Sapphire's Love Slave

You do have to give the guy who wrote that article points for one thing. After all he did take the most novel approach to bitching about comic movies I've ever seen. This may be the first time I've ever seen somebody bitch about the movie sticking to the source material.
Old 11-20-2010, 12:28 AM   #5396
DocLantern
Manhunter Repairman

Maybe I missed the memo regarding Hal waking up with the woman in his bed. When did Tony Stark become the only person allowed to be a womanizer? Hal has a history of this kind of stuff.
DocLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 02:43 AM   #5397
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe

Do you mean before or after Johns?
Mister.Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 02:50 AM   #5398
Superlantern
mmmm Beer!

I think the MAJOR difference between Hal's story and a lot of other stories is they choose to become heroes on their own.. Hal was Chosen.

Will it matter in the long run how he got his power? (choosing themselves vs being chosen) not really but in the minds of the masses being chosen makes it more special. . they need to market Hal being CHOSEN and embracing the role. They did use " the ring chose you" but I say be more aggressive with it. Make the next trailer start with reckless hal then the ring chosing him and go from there.

That is my opinion.

Last edited by Superlantern; 11-20-2010 at 02:52 AM.
Old 11-20-2010, 03:00 AM   #5399
Marvelous Iggy
God Of Turtles

Send a message via Skype™ to Marvelous Iggy

Just to humble everybody and I'm not trying to be a downer cause I do want this movie to do well, but Last Airbender had a great Trailer as well.
Marvelous Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 03:31 AM   #5400
Robinson
Guardian Of The Universe

it did?

the one i saw wasn't very convincing at all

Tags
movie