Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > General > General/About Us
FLASHCHAT

General

Old 05-04-2010, 08:53 AM   #1
Nite Owl
Parallax Host

Default Iron Man 2......

... was... disappointing?

I mean, its good... and while the last half hour completely kicks ass... its not nearly as good as the first, and thats kinda bizarre for a second movie, especially this day and age... and with a comic book movie to boot!

Oh, well... its still worth seeing, though!
Old 05-04-2010, 09:58 AM   #2
Doc2814
Anti-Monitor

Send a message via AIM to Doc2814

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Owl View Post

I mean, its good... and while the last half hour completely kicks ass... its not nearly as good as the first, and thats kinda bizarre for a second movie, especially this day and age... and with a comic book movie to boot!

Maybe this is the movie used as a plot device to further the third and then on to the Avengers.

I'm a leaf on the wind...
Doc2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:59 AM   #3
Old School
Guardian of the Universe

Send a message via AIM to Old School

I was told dont leave until all the credits are done.

can you confirm that?
Old 05-04-2010, 10:03 AM   #4
Tons T
Alpha-Lantern

DONT LEAVE.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:25 AM   #5
Bruce Castle
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tons T View Post
LEAVE.
Fixed.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:28 AM   #6
Doc2814
Anti-Monitor

I saw it online. The hidden scene is definetly worth the wait.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:34 AM   #7
Old School
Guardian of the Universe

was it a hidden scene or a preview of things to come
Old 05-04-2010, 12:10 PM   #8
chivalrous
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Owl View Post

I mean, its good... and while the last half hour completely kicks ass... its not nearly as good as the first, and that's kinda bizarre for a second movie, especially this day and age... and with a comic book movie to boot!

I preferred Whiplash/Titanium Man (or was it Crimson Dynamo) and Justin Hammer to Obidiah Stane as the antagonist(s) as there was a lot more screen time and depth given to them.

Very glad that the Tony/Pepper dynamic was retained and developed.

Disappointed that the development of War Machine was crammed into a couple of short scenes.

What was the point of having Black Widow? Other than to introduce her for a later film, she didn't do anything other than look reasonably attractive and give Tony the opportunity for a couple of one-liners.

Complaints aside the film, for the most part, had a faster pace and managed to keep the focus predominantly on Tony and didn't, as I feared, get lost in all the support characters. As with Spider-Man 2 I'm going to stand against what seems to be the consensus and admit I preferred the sequel to the original.

Stormageddon added by Kuhan
chivalrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 12:55 PM   #9
Doc2814
Anti-Monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chivalrous View Post
I preferred Whiplash/Titanium Man (or was it Crimson Dynamo) and Justin Hammer to Obidiah Stane as the antagonist(s) as there was a lot more screen time and depth given to them.

Very glad that the Tony/Pepper dynamic was retained and developed.

Disappointed that the development of War Machine was crammed into a couple of short scenes.

What was the point of having Black Widow? Other than to introduce her for a later film, she didn't do anything other than look reasonably attractive and give Tony the opportunity for a couple of one-liners.

Complaints aside the film, for the most part, had a faster pace and managed to keep the focus predominantly on Tony and didn't, as I feared, get lost in all the support characters. As with Spider-Man 2 I'm going to stand against what seems to be the consensus and admit I preferred the sequel to the original.

Very nice post.

Old 05-04-2010, 02:31 PM   #10
Old School
Guardian of the Universe

from newsarama

I copy/pasted the whole thing

When Tony Stark and company return for a new big screen adventure this week in “Iron Man 2”, all the familiar names and faces from the original will be back...with one notable exception. The character of Lt. Colonel James "Rhodey" Rhodes, Stark’s personal pal and the military's chief liaison to Stark Industries, originated by actor Terrence Howard is now sporting the exasperated smirk of Don Cheadle.

Not exactly a shocking revelation if you’ve followed the development of the sequel as the swap out went down a mere five months after the first film hit theaters. It’s since been rumored that the split came out of Marvel’s desire to get Howard to take a major pay cut, and director Jon Favreau’s creative displeasure with the actor’s take on the character. And understanding the need to quickly clear out any impediments that could hinder Marvel’s evolving potential mega franchise “The Avengers” (featuring Stark and Rhodes as members of S.H.I.E.L.D.), the change was swift with Cheadle getting less than a day to opt-in or out.

Of course Cheadle said yes and now it’s for audiences to decide if the actor meshes with the old guard in “Iron Man 2”, especially since the character gets a lot more screen time as Stark’s armored peer, War Machine.

In an exclusive interview with Newsarama, Cheadle shrugs off the drama and says he never let the fan chatter or media coverage get under his skin.

“I kind of kept my head in the sand,” Cheadle admits. “I don’t go on the Internet trying to see what people are saying about War Machine or me. That’s stuff maybe I used to do when I started 20 years ago,” he laughs, “but now I know those things are so beyond my control that to me there’s not a lot of benefit in wasting time worrying about it. I would rather spend my energy focused on the job I am trying to do and hopefully, if you do the job well, those other things will take care of themselves.”

“Iron Man 2” represents Cheadle’s first foray into a full-fledged superhero film, but certainly not the world of sequential art itself. As a youth he admits to being a huge fan of “Swamp Thing”, “X-Men”, “Watchmen” and “The Dark Knight”, however “Iron Man” wasn’t a title he read. But the actor says Marvel set him up with access to everything Rhodey in order to research the character.

“I knew that ultimately [Rhodey] was going to be whatever was in the script that I had to follow but I did want to familiarize myself with the character, to know what that history was and what the mythology was. It turned out to be very confusing,” Cheadle laughs. With more than 30 years of disparate storylines, there was no one definitive Rhodey to go by. Favreau even admits they cherry-picked the most interesting aspects of his storylines to apply to their cinematic Rhodey, a fact that Cheadle says actually freed up his performance.

“That was the thing that allowed me to relax and just do whatever the script dictated because there are so many different iterations,” the actor explains.

Cheadle says he did research the real world of the military and military contractors to get a feel for how his character would handle his chain of command demands against Stark’s more reckless attitude.

“We consulted with military advisors,” the actor reveals. “We had people from the Department of Defense on the set. And I learned that I don’t want to be in the military. Those guys have an awesome responsibility as we all know, as we have unfortunately experienced in the last several years in the world, what it really takes and what they really have to do. It was a very interesting dynamic to bring to this movie because what does Tony owe to his country? And what does my character do to both honor his friendship with his person but still be who he is, which is a military man who really believes there are rules you have to follow? Tony doesn’t even know how to spell rules so how does this work?”

The actor says he particularly enjoyed that the superhero genre really allowed for an interesting mix of themes to explore, especially within the framework of Tony and James’s complicated friendship.

“It’s a very elastic genre so you can do things that are fantastical and over-the-top but you can also drill down and deal with some stuff real people have to deal with. It’s a great juxtaposition to have Tony be a knucklehead character who’s not the white hat hero. He’s a guy that’s got demons and trying to deal with his own addictions and problems. All of that is something real and fun to play with inside of a CGI world.”

And that means this film finds their friendship suffering even more strain as Tony just gets crazier when he discovers his own arc reactor is poisoning himself...probably to death.

“Rhodey finds himself in the untenable position of having to manage this friendship and be true to his man, but at the same time he’s got a job to do,” Cheadle explains. “He’s taken a sworn oath to protect the country and follow the chain of command and Tony Stark’s having none of it. And not only is he having none of it, but this awesome power is in the hands of somebody who is at the moment not really responsible, so what do we do?”

What he does that’s a turning point in the film and in their friendship is take the Mark II technology so the government can create War Machine, with Rhodey inside. For Cheadle that meant he got to suit up like Downey Jr. in his own metal armor, which turned out to be equal parts awesome and a pain in the ass.

Cheadle explains the final War Machine look on film is created through a mixture of practical costume and CGI effects. “It’s us in a mo-cap suit and the stunt men in the mo-cap suit,” he details. “And sometimes it’s me in the heavy metal and the stunt man in the heavy metal. I think on the call sheet my CGI character worked as many days as I did.”

On the days when it was Cheadle in the suit, the actor says he quickly realized the limitations of being a superhero. “Yeah, getting out of the suit was always fun,” he laughs. “You couldn’t touch your own face. If you had to go to the bathroom, you just had to wait. But then you step back and get a bigger perspective and the 12-year-old boy in me is going ‘This is fun!’ So it was a lot of fun.”

While “Iron Man 2” does give Rhodey and Tony more screen time and the last act reveal of their metallic alter-egos in the heat of battle, Cheadle says this movie only begins to scratch the surface of what this new dynamic means to their friendship and how they work in together on the battlefield.

“I think at the end of this film those questions are just starting to be asked,” the actor ponders. “I don’t think we know yet where it’s going to go or what the results are going to be for how they will work in tandem. And I think it’s tricky because [the question] is will Rhodey able to continue to keep his position as a Colonel in the military and work with this guy who is going to be a rogue? I don’t see Iron Man ever saying, “Yes, I’ll come under the chain of command be ruled by a General.” I think he is going to do how he’s going to do, so I don’t know how it’s going to work between the two of them but it will be interesting to see them try to do it.”

Cheadle says ultimately that’s something to be explored in future films if the fans are behind what they accomplish in this sequel.

“I think the proof is in the pudding and once the audience receives it, they will tell us how we did. We are trying to fill the shoes of the one that came before and hopefully further the franchise and take it somewhere even more enjoyable. But again I think that’s a determination made not by us but hopefully the millions of people that see it.”

As it turns out, “Iron Man 2” is already a success overseas to the tune of $100 million so the chance of a return engagement is looking all but set. And Cheadle will be back to play again as he confirms his multiple sequel deal.

“Yeah, there are more. I don’t want to say the exact number but there are multiple ones,” the actor says cagily. The only thing to wait on now is the when which Cheadle says is becoming increasingly complicated.

“Quite honestly we wrapped the movie so long ago and if the next one were to happen, it’s going to happen after “Thor”, “Captain America”, and Robert is going to do another “Sherlock Holmes” so it’s going to be a minute. There are many other projects I have going on between now and then so I’ll get focused on those and when the script drops then I’ll do. It’s its own train on its own track so you just let that happen and go about your life until they come back and say let’s do another one.”
Old 05-04-2010, 02:40 PM   #11
Doc2814
Anti-Monitor

good read. thanks for posting.

Old 05-04-2010, 02:44 PM   #12
Marvelous Iggy
God Of Turtles

Send a message via Skype™ to Marvelous Iggy

I'm getting the vibe that people still enjoyed the movie, but did not live up to their expectations. Am I right
Marvelous Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 02:44 PM   #13
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

EXTREMELY anti-climatic ending to the story. Robots vs Robots just doesn't interest me. The last 5 minutes should have been grouped with after-credits scene because all it did was talk Avengers. The movie was okay, but most of the in-suit stuff was dry. Its still funny, its still a lot of Iron Man blowing stuff up, and its still setting up future movies. I don't know why anyone could be disappointed in this when the first movie had no weight to it either. Why would you have high expectations? The first movie did very little besides blow shit it up. Take it for what it is...a popcorn flick that caters to us and the Michael Bay fans.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:40 PM   #14
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.West View Post
EXTREMELY anti-climatic ending to the story. Robots vs Robots just doesn't interest me. The last 5 minutes should have been grouped with after-credits scene because all it did was talk Avengers. The movie was okay, but most of the in-suit stuff was dry. Its still funny, its still a lot of Iron Man blowing stuff up, and its still setting up future movies. I don't know why anyone could be disappointed in this when the first movie had no weight to it either. Why would you have high expectations? The first movie did very little besides blow shit it up. Take it for what it is...a popcorn flick that caters to us and the Michael Bay fans.
That^ is exactly what I'm expecting.

In a nutshell: Hee hee, ha ha! BOOM!! SLAM!! PUNCH!! Hottie showing skin. BOOM!! Random sex scene. Finale BOOM!!! Hee hee. Credits. Cameo.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:17 PM   #15
projectile
Sidekick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMarcumUSN View Post
good read. thanks for posting.
Hey TMarcumUSN, you able to watch Iron Man 2 at the movie theater on your naval base? It's showing here on Thursday, I think like at 2 bases.

" He who does not punish evil commands it to be done."-Leonardo da Vinci
projectile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 04:21 PM   #16
Doc2814
Anti-Monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectile View Post
Hey TMarcumUSN, you able to watch Iron Man 2 at the movie theater on your naval base? It's showing here on Thursday, I think like at 2 bases.
Nah bro, they dont have a theatre on base here. The California bases get all the love

Old 05-04-2010, 04:26 PM   #17
projectile
Sidekick

Quote:
Nah bro, they dont have a theatre on base here. The California bases get all the love
That sucks,man . Yeah I guess you can say CA bases have all the love, cause we get sneak previews sometimes.

Old 05-04-2010, 04:30 PM   #18
Doc2814
Anti-Monitor

You Navy?

Old 05-04-2010, 04:32 PM   #19
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylent_asassin View Post
That^ is exactly what I'm expecting.

In a nutshell: Hee hee, ha ha! BOOM!! SLAM!! PUNCH!! Hottie showing skin. BOOM!! Random sex scene. Finale BOOM!!! Hee hee. Credits. Cameo.
Minus the random sex scene and plus silly romantic subplot and there's your movie. Oh and the Finale BOOM! is more like a bang.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:33 PM   #20
Doc2814
Anti-Monitor

The hidden scene is good though, right?

Old 05-04-2010, 04:34 PM   #21
projectile
Sidekick

Quote:
You Navy?
No. My Dad was, he's retired now. He spent 26 years in the Navy. MMCS.

Old 05-04-2010, 04:35 PM   #22
Doc2814
Anti-Monitor

Ah, cool. Congrats to your Dad, and thank you.

Old 05-04-2010, 04:42 PM   #23
W.West

Quote:
The hidden scene is good though, right?
There are moments in the movie that pertain to what the after-credits scene pertains to, that are far better.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:45 PM   #24
Doc2814
Anti-Monitor

I like the idea the movie is leading into more films, but I hope it doesnt disappoint.

Old 05-04-2010, 04:46 PM   #25
IonFan
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School View Post
was it a hidden scene or a preview of things to come
from what i've read it's a preview of things to come

IonFan says

Quote:
F**k all the "Haters" 3 years in and i still support our dear leader, one Donald J. Trump
IonFan is offline   Reply With Quote