silent hill series 1 33.33%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-07-2010, 10:14 AM   #1
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Default battle of the survior horror game

ok i finally completed dead space and i thought of a fun poll

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

+ YouTube Video

I felt a great disturbance in the force, as if millions of WWE Network subscriptions were suddenly cancelled.

Last edited by TazzMission; 07-07-2010 at 11:00 AM.
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:41 PM   #2
Nite Owl
Parallax Host

Resident Evil, hands down, is the most fun, imo... though I agree with the continued general stipulation that Silent Hill 2 was the scariest game EVER made... as its the only game that has ever terrified me into not continuing forward... that said Silent Hill 2 and 4 were stupid, and I've not played any since. As for Dead Space... it was underwhelming and anti-climatic... though it may have been better had you not known everything that had happened at the beginning.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:17 PM   #3
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Survival horror is my favorite corner of video games. I've got all the mainstream Resident Evil games, I've played every Silent Hill game except for the new one they just cranked out on PS2. And I've beat my Deadspace game a couple of times too. It's a tough question because I love all three properties.

Deadspace is on my mind lately because I've played it most recently, and I've been following info for #2, but it doesn't have the track record to beat the other two.

The Resident Evil series has been the most fun to play overall. There's a couple of shooter games I never bothered with, but 1 - 5, and code Veronica X were fucking great. #5 is the best looking and put together game, but the problem is that they sucked the horror right out of it. They were so concerned with getting the Call Of Duty crowd that they got rid of the horror elements that made RE special. I mean, no puzzles?!? That was one of my favorite aspects of the series! Most of the game happens outdoors in the day time. I'm hoping the 6th one goes back to it's survival horror roots and leaves the military feel to the games that excel at it.

Silent Hill has long been my favorite survival horror series due to it's superior atmoshere, amazing use of scary music, and the way they build up tension as the plot progresses. I've played every one but the newest PS2 entry. For me, for a few games, they took what I enjoyed about the RE series and turned it up a few notches and made the games much more horror orientated, which is why I gravitate to them more. The problem with the Silent Hill games is that they are VERY repetitive and the formula wears thin over the course of the series. The plots basically repeat themselves s that they are all almost remakes of each other like the Texas Chainsaw Massacre movie series. Homecoming was pretty boring to me because I felt like I was just going through the motions. SH needs to reinvent itself without discarding what made it so awesome in the first place if it's going to bother continuing the line.

Overall I prefer the Silent Hill games, but that's with a big caveat that they've done some run of the mill games. The first 3 are fucking amazing. I'll continue to play games from all three lines though; there's not a lot of survival horror games out there that are any good, so the pickins is slim.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:37 PM   #4
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Cormier View Post
Survival horror is my favorite corner of video games. I've got all the mainstream Resident Evil games, I've played every Silent Hill game except for the new one they just cranked out on PS2. And I've beat my Deadspace game a couple of times too. It's a tough question because I love all three properties.

Deadspace is on my mind lately because I've played it most recently, and I've been following info for #2, but it doesn't have the track record to beat the other two.

The Resident Evil series has been the most fun to play overall. There's a couple of shooter games I never bothered with, but 1 - 5, and code Veronica X were fucking great. #5 is the best looking and put together game, but the problem is that they sucked the horror right out of it. They were so concerned with getting the Call Of Duty crowd that they got rid of the horror elements that made RE special. I mean, no puzzles?!? That was one of my favorite aspects of the series! Most of the game happens outdoors in the day time. I'm hoping the 6th one goes back to it's survival horror roots and leaves the military feel to the games that excel at it.

Silent Hill has long been my favorite survival horror series due to it's superior atmoshere, amazing use of scary music, and the way they build up tension as the plot progresses. I've played every one but the newest PS2 entry. For me, for a few games, they took what I enjoyed about the RE series and turned it up a few notches and made the games much more horror orientated, which is why I gravitate to them more. The problem with the Silent Hill games is that they are VERY repetitive and the formula wears thin over the course of the series. The plots basically repeat themselves s that they are all almost remakes of each other like the Texas Chainsaw Massacre movie series. Homecoming was pretty boring to me because I felt like I was just going through the motions. SH needs to reinvent itself without discarding what made it so awesome in the first place if it's going to bother continuing the line.

Overall I prefer the Silent Hill games, but that's with a big caveat that they've done some run of the mill games. The first 3 are fucking amazing. I'll continue to play games from all three lines though; there's not a lot of survival horror games out there that are any good, so the pickins is slim.
i love all 3 games but dead space took me 2 years to beat for a short game and what i liked about it was the random holy shit moments. jan 25 needs to get here cause dead space 2 is due

I felt a great disturbance in the force, as if millions of WWE Network subscriptions were suddenly cancelled.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:44 PM   #5
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I can't wait for Deadspace 2! Everything I've seen on G4 and in Game Informer magazine looks great.

I don't have a Wii, so I didn't get the Deadspace game they had. I really hate it when they make exclusive games for different platforms. I have an Xbox and I wish some lines I like (like Resident Evil) would reissue their catalogues on that system.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:47 PM   #6
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
I can't wait for Deadspace 2! Everything I've seen on G4 and in Game Informer magazine looks great.

I don't have a Wii, so I didn't get the Deadspace game they had. I really hate it when they make exclusive games for different platforms. I have an Xbox and I wish some lines I like (like Resident Evil) would reissue their catalogues on that system.

dead space extraction is being ported for exlcusive its gona come with the limited edition jan 25th for ps3 only

Old 07-07-2010, 01:52 PM   #7
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazzMission View Post
dead space extraction is being ported for exlcusive its gona come with the limited edition jan 25th for ps3 only
Of course it is!
Old 07-07-2010, 01:55 PM   #8
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Of course it is!

dead space is gona be a trilogy so i wouldnt be suprised if we get a game that takes place after 1 and before 2 or something.