Comixology starts running Volume 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
    However, if comixology let's say lost it's license and had to close down (which I find unlikely since it's an official distributor), that wouldn't physically remove your downloaded copy. You'd have to chose to do that (or lose your device it's on).
    Sure, I'd still have the comics on my iPad. But if the authentication server is gone your license will expire at some point. Also if your iPad / Android / Windows device brakes you lose the comic.
    Keep in mind that they're using a proprietary format and not something more common like pdf or mobi (which is what kindle is using).

But I think the biggest issue with comixology is that my girlfriend never lets me take my iPad to work because she's playing stupid games all the time

Comment

Originally posted by SocializingMogo View Post
      Sure, I'd still have the comics on my iPad. But if the authentication server is gone your license will expire at some point. Also if your iPad / Android / Windows device brakes you lose the comic.
      Keep in mind that they're using a proprietary format and not something more common like pdf or mobi (which is what kindle is using).

But I think the biggest issue with comixology is that my girlfriend never lets me take my iPad to work because she's playing stupid games all the time
      No, it's true. I would think, though, that if it ever happened there would be a lawsuit against Comixology from all the people who collect digitally.

For my part, I only have gotten comics I care less about or are cheaper. To me paying the same price for a non-physical copy just doesn't cut it. But, I just got some Mega Man trades for 50% off and I'm OK with not owning them or taking the unlikely risk of permanently losing them.

Comment

I agree on both counts.

I've made it a point of never "throwing out" (ie: selling off or donating away) my existing collection because I always saw a risk that the company might fold, or technology may take a drop backwards and I'll lose them all to the ether.

On the other hand I also like going to the shop on new comic day and getting the latest issues. (and my obligatory Starbucks Grande Mocha )
        For me, the two main advantages of the Comixology apps are
        A) being able to carry around all my favorite issues without breaking back or getting weird looks from everyone around me. and
        B) archiving my older books in "the Vault" making room for the newer issues on my shelves.
        Lantern2814.20850
        Green Lantern
        Last edited by Lantern2814.20850; 04-09-2013, 12:55 PM.
        Green Lantern Unlimited!

Comment

Originally posted by Lantern2814.20850 View Post
          A) being able to carry around all my favorite issues without breaking back or getting weird looks from everyone around me. and
          This may be only me but people seem to be more weirded out by the fact that I'm using a 500€ gadget to read comics than they would be if I just read a trade.

Comment

This may be only me but people seem to be more weirded out by the fact that I'm using a 500€ gadget to read comics than they would be if I just read a trade.
            If they see it. But let's say you're sitting in a cafe and reading from your Kindle, iPad whatever. 99% of people are not going to see what you're reading or even try to get a better glimpse. But, if you're sitting there with a comic even people 15 or 20 feet away can tell that with a glance.

Mind you, I don't particularly care. I've read comics in doctor's offices, in line at the bank, while waiting for my class to arrive at church, and even right at my desk at work for lunch break (and I worked at an academic book publisher at the time).

Comment

well people don't give me too many strange looks for reading any one comic but if/when they see my bag was loaded (from time to time) with 30-40 comics well.....anybody's going to get stared at for that!
              at anyrate we get two issues of

This week.
              First, the conclusion of The Third Law.
              Entropy is doing well against the Corps by keeping them fighting his constructs as individuals instead of as a group. Ganthet argues that the time of secrets is over and that Hal and the New corps should be told why all of this is happening.
              One reason is that Entropy is the Spirit of Krona which was released accidentally by Dawlakispokpok when the latter was attempting to stop Krona's initial attempt to see the beginning of time. (uhhhm, I'm pretty sure you guys already know Krona's story so I'm not gonna go off on a tangent about that here as to Dawlakispokpok, well, he was the primary antagonist in the Stand Alone adventure Ganthet's Tale.)
              in the end, the Corps finds a way to make contact with the Chosen who are trapped inside Entropy's huge form and together they destroy Entropy. Finally Ganthet explains that humor is not merely an emotion but in actuality a Universal trait which is necessary to the continuity of the Universe (Which is why they brought in G'Nort)
              Then, It's Christmas and Hal and Carol are going to Jim Jordan's house for the Holidays. Jim's kids are all excited to see Uncle Hal, (at this point, none of them are aware that Hal is GL btw) and The Evil Dr. Light (who was dead up to this point btw) appears looking like a cross between himself and Firestorm and attacks from the lights in the Christmas Tree.
              ........This is one of those issues that made me scratch my head a lot. It's so far off the field from the regular story lines in GL that instead of being a light-hearted break from the heavy action, (which was needed by that point) It became this big relationship drama.
              Green Lantern Unlimited!

Comment

Hal attends a football game with Yellow Ring wearing Guy Gardner and then has to work both against and then with Adam Strange in this week's

First off Hal tells Pie (That's right we're well into the 90's and Hal still calls Tom Pieface) that Carol wants to get married and have kids. (Not out of love but for the Biological Clock) Hal and Tom head off to the Game and find themselves sitting next to Guy Gardner and his date a Blond runway model named Lacey Lovitz
                "I never saw her on your runway Hal"
                "Very funny Pie"
                the problem is an old demon enemy of Guy's is trying to break into our dimension through the game and succeeds but Guy and Hal are able to save the day.
                After that Hal Appears in Rann apparently out to steal Adam Strange's baby daughter. His mind under control by a group called the Lenglyns who operate on Qward.

After Strange snaps Hal out of the Mind Control Hal fills him in on the past events that led up to the current point. including the apparent return of Barry Allen (This actually being Reverse Flash Eobard Thawne see the Return of Barry Allen in Flash #'s 74-79)

Hal and Adam travel to Qward and find the main city in chaos as the weaponers battle among themselves. It's when Hal grabs one and questions him that we learn olivia Reynolds (any relation to Ryan? :P)

I have to be honest. This is where i was beginning to fade on GL (Current events on Flash were keeping me glued to that title) It's not that the art or writing were bad but I just couldn't keep track of what was what and I was losing interest fast.
                Green Lantern Unlimited!

Comment

The #37 cover is really ugly

Comment

@Lantern 2814.20850: in comixology new comics allow you the option to read the comic panel by panel. Do the old scanned comics do that too or is it strictly whole page?

The #37 cover is really ugly
                    Indeed it is. I remember at the time it was one of my least favorite.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                      @Lantern 2814.20850: in comixology new comics allow you the option to read the comic panel by panel. Do the old scanned comics do that too or is it strictly whole page?
                      My Crisis on Infinity Earths & Emerald Twilight all have guided view.

Comment

You can definitely do it with most, if not all the DC Silver Age stuff I haven't tried any of their Golden age offerings yet.
                        Green Lantern Unlimited!

Comment

That's my favorite aspect of digital comics. It lets you see the detail in the art. And I don't know if it's just my imagination but I actually feel like I read them faster that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Lantern2814.20850 View Post
                            I have to be honest. This is where i was beginning to fade on GL (Current events on Flash were keeping me glued to that title) It's not that the art or writing were bad but I just couldn't keep track of what was what and I was losing interest fast.
                            In my opinion, the writing at least WAS getting bad. (And the art on the issue pictured was atrocious. I haven't read it in a while, but my recollection is that the interiors were just as bad as that cover.)

Comment

They're already in Kyle Rayner territory. Currently I'm only buying the issues that are placed between the ones collected in trades. I've given up trying to get the old floppies. I've gotten some of them but the newspaper print has degraded very much in some of them. Most of my floppies between #8 - 26 have ink rub of betweent the pages and bad smearing.

I'm still paranoid about comixology. I don't think they'll go out of business any time soon, but I create backups of all comics I buy of them (the individual jpgs can be found in your browser cache). cbr comics are essentially just jpgs compresses in rar format and I upload them to my dropbox and box.com accounts.

Comment

Working...
                              X