FLASHCHAT

General

Old 01-03-2018, 02:33 PM   #3201
Space Cop
The Dandy

Just watched . . .

Leatherface (2017)

"You messed with the wrong family."

So, I went into this expecting little to nothing based on what I heard. My estimation is that this would have been an alright crazy-killers-escape-the-asylum movie if they just hadn't made it a TCM origins movie.

One problem is that the movie works on the premise that one of three patients could be the former Jed Sawyer/future Leatherface (they're renamed in the institution), but I knew from the first seconds of their intro, which it would be and the poster blows one of the suspects.

The major problem is that we get way too much characterization and motivation for Leatherface and I think much of it doesn't work with the usual understanding of him.
Old 01-03-2018, 03:39 PM   #3202
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

You're a better man than me Charlie Brown. I gave up on the TCM series and relegated it to head canon status with Hellraiser, Highlander, Jaws and a few other formerly beloved franchises. With this one, have you seen them all now? If you have, how would you rank them?
Old 01-03-2018, 06:24 PM   #3203
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
You're a better man than me Charlie Brown. I gave up on the TCM series and relegated it to head canon status with Hellraiser, Highlander, Jaws and a few other formerly beloved franchises. With this one, have you seen them all now?
I have and I own all but this one. [That puts me in a dilemma too because I kind of hate the idea of owning 7/8 of the franchise, but I don't know if I'd watch this again.]

Quote:
If you have, how would you rank them?
That's really tough. I can fairly safely say #1 is the best and this is the worst. Some of them, like #3 and 4, are pretty bad, but I get a kind of campy fun from.

Off the top of my head, real fast, I'd say

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003)
Leatherface: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre III
Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning (2006)
Texas Chainsaw 3D (2013)*
Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation**
Leatherface (2017)

*This one had some fun bits and I like the idea of a Sawyer coming into the family, but it has a plot hole so bad, it's really hard to get over.
**This one is bats**t crazy and way off the usual TCM, but as an experimental thing and as a time capsule with two Academy Award winners before they were respectable.
Old 01-03-2018, 10:56 PM   #3204
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Worse than part 4! My lord!
Old 01-03-2018, 11:16 PM   #3205
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Worse than part 4! My lord!
It's always a bad idea to take an awesome, mysterious cinematic villain and explain away their origins in a prequel. *cough*
Old 01-04-2018, 05:13 PM   #3206
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
It's always a bad idea to take an awesome, mysterious cinematic villain and explain away their origins in a prequel. *cough*
Touche...
Old 01-08-2018, 07:42 PM   #3207
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Not sure if I'm remembering this correctly, but I think it was Texas Chainsaw (2013) that I was rather fond of, assuming I have the right story where an unbeknownst Sawyer girl inherits a mansion, finds out who's in the basement, some douche lord cop has a fight with said basement guy, and at the very end, the adoptive parents have a surprise waiting for them at the front door....

Right movie?
Old 01-08-2018, 08:49 PM   #3208
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Not sure if I'm remembering this correctly, but I think it was Texas Chainsaw (2013) that I was rather fond of, assuming I have the right story where an unbeknownst Sawyer girl inherits a mansion, finds out who's in the basement, some douche lord cop has a fight with said basement guy, and at the very end, the adoptive parents have a surprise waiting for them at the front door....

Right movie?
Yep. I actually like the movie overall. It's just that the girl was supposed to be adopted in the 70s and she's like 20 in 2013. You could assume that it only looks like it, but I remember they make some explicit reference that makes the timeline impossible and then I heard someone review it say the same thing.

But, yeah, the story and the ending in particular were decent.

EDIT: Here's what IMDb has:

Quote:
The movie takes place in 2012. In the opening scene, set in 1973, Heather is a baby. This would make Heather at least 39 years old throughout the rest of the film. However, her character is obviously much younger than that (her actress, Alexandra Daddario, was only 25 at the time of filming).

Quote:
The characters of Sheriff Hooper and Burt Hartman are in the 1973-set opening scene. 39 years later, neither character appears to have aged a day.

Last edited by Space Cop; 01-08-2018 at 09:45 PM.
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 09:44 PM   #3209
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Ahh, that settles it then. My memory is still actively responsive. Yay for me! Lol

Ok, so I'm taking a break from the gaming world for a bit and need some movie recommendations. Sea horror, monsters, supernatural, etc......you know the drill, boys. Chop CHOP!

Old 01-08-2018, 11:55 PM   #3210
Space Cop
The Dandy

^I forget, did you see The Void? That's very Lovecraftian.

Below, you'll see my review for 1979's The Prophecy. That would probably fit the bill in a sense.

I recently saw and liked Q: The Winged Serpent, but if you see that discussion in Last Film, you'll see it's not a beloved movie.

I also recently watched 1991's The Runestone. It wasn't great, but it was kind of fun and is about a Norse-mythology-based creature monster.
Old 01-09-2018, 05:41 AM   #3211
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Yep, I just read up on the Void and I remember seeing it, fairly certain on your recommendation. That was a good flick.

I had trouble finding info on the Prophecy...seems there is a franchise with that name starring Christopher Walken, but I eventually found the 1979 mutated bear movie. That definitely deserves a watch.

Q and the Runestone look interesting, I would watch them. Thank you! Now I have 3 movies lined up for the week.

Old 01-09-2018, 12:35 PM   #3212
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
I had trouble finding info on the Prophecy...seems there is a franchise with that name starring Christopher Walken, but I eventually found the 1979 mutated bear movie. That definitely deserves a watch...
Yep, that's why I gave the year. I like the 90s Prophecy movies too (at least the first two), but that's a whole other thing. The first gets a bonus for being written by the same guy who wrote my favorite movie.

Last edited by Space Cop; 01-09-2018 at 02:53 PM.
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 02:25 PM   #3213
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I watched a decent horror flick this week on netflix. It was a Danish werewolf movie called When Animals Dream. They clearly were trying to be the werewolf version of Let The Right One In/Let Me In, but I still found it well made and entertaining. There isn't a lot out there for werewolf fans to celebrate, and this one was decent. And free. Worth a watch.
Old 01-09-2018, 02:51 PM   #3214
Space Cop
The Dandy

^Cool. I had that on my watch list, but didn't know anything about it except that it was tagged as werewolf flick. Maybe I'll pick that for the Blue Moon this month.

Old 01-10-2018, 07:45 AM   #3215
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Prophecy was interesting. The film soundtrack would have told me alone it was a 70s flick without even knowing. Then you had the hairdos and clothing that was slowly transitioning to 1980.

Overall, not as much cheese as I would have thought; the lead was done fair.y well. For me, the most horrifying aspects of the film weren't even momma bear, it was the close ups of the deformed babies, which made me glance away a bit. I dug the setting in form of mother nature being raped by man and her subsequent revenge. The forest was gorgeous. Oh, and the sleeping bag scene was funny. Hehe.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:12 PM   #3216
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

My Blu-ray order of It (2017) showed up today. Debating whether to take that to my dad's or the first Creature from the Black Lagoon (probably the latter since my dad isn't into horror flicks like I am, and I've never seen the first Creature).
Old 01-17-2018, 12:08 AM   #3217
Space Cop
The Dandy

Happy Birthday to John Carpenter, who turns 70 today.

Hope to meet him in March at Monster Mania.

Not sure if I can fit in a Carpenter movie tonight, but I might try.