The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lanterns
FLASHCHAT

Green Lanterns
View Poll Results: So do you LIKE Green Lanterns?
Yes 5 41.67%
No 6 50.00%
Haven't read it yet 1 8.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-09-2017, 08:03 AM   #1
Andrew NDB
Martini Master

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB
Default So... do you like Green Lanterns?

A simple raise of hands will do.

I'm way the fuck behind. But I'll get there.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 02:13 PM   #2
Space Cop
The Dandy

I "have to" read it because it's GL. Among the "have to" read books, it ranks pretty low, but I don't hate it.

It's not a chore for me to read.

If I weren't a committed GL fan, I wouldn't be reading it. Is that a yes? IDK
Old 08-09-2017, 06:36 PM   #3
jhpace1
Corpse Trainee

The premise has changed a lot since I started re-reading GL in the 1990s. Hal Jordan has always been too old for me. John Stewart was run through the ringer with Katima. Guy was decent, but every editor kept making him a joke compared to the other superheroes. Kyle was finally given a little respect, but then came the reboot.

I would have preferred to see things differently, perhaps based upon GL #20's prediction, but not "5 years after" or the mess GL is in now. I liked Blackest Night. I liked 7200 GLs for 3600 sectors. I liked the Alpha Lanterns. The Third Army ruined it all. So did the "natives of the planet of GL batteries revolt". The horrible continuity of Relic and Lost Corps.

Hal Jordan at near-Guardian level? Guy now a former cop, not just the son of a cop? Sinestro gone? Kyle's string of ex-girlfriends dead or in literal limbo? Only 2 Guardians? No Templar Guardians? The rings acting on their own? Destroying the other Color Corps? Green Lantern has a lot of mileage to go to earn my respect back.
jhpace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 07:44 PM   #4
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Nope. It's awful. Wake me up when it's over.
Old 08-10-2017, 02:51 AM   #5
Tarmode
Star Sapphire's Love Slave

I think both books have mad potential in the right hands, so I would say yes. Especially Simon and Jessica, they are both going to be bad asses when the current storyline ends.
Tarmode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 02:19 PM   #6
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

I'm with Space Cop. I don't hate it, but the main characters are not exactly high on my list of favorites.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:18 PM   #7
-//V\\-
Guardian of the Universe

My wife likes Cruz. That is all.

~//V\\~

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world." - Albert Einstein
-//V\\- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:45 PM   #8
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Maybe someday they will be the butt of some joke in an event crossover, the way Jurgens' Teen Titans' Risk was in Infinite Crisis.
Old 08-11-2017, 01:35 PM   #9
-//V\\-
Guardian of the Universe

I believe that was Team Titans, Dave.

~//V\\~

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world." - Albert Einstein
Old 08-11-2017, 04:11 PM   #10
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

You sure? Seems like it was an actual Teen Titans volume that Dan Jurgens got to do. The one where he made all his own characters for the team?
Old 08-11-2017, 04:38 PM   #11
"Chosen"
NOT his black friend

Dave is right, that was the Teen Titans 1996 version.
"Chosen" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 07:09 PM   #12
-//V\\-
Guardian of the Universe

Yeah ok. I thought this version existed earlier than 96 for some reason. I forgot about teen Atom...

~//V\\~

Old 08-11-2017, 10:58 PM   #13
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Yeah, that's the one. For some reason, I bought the entire series as it came out. I couldn't leave it with the Atom tie in they had going on.

Teenage Ray Palmer...so bad...
Old 08-12-2017, 05:17 PM   #14
-//V\\-
Guardian of the Universe

With the people involved it could've been much better. The heroes though were a little bit to 'Meh' for anybody to get behind it for very long. The best book in the late 90's/early 2000's was Young Justice starring Superboy, Impulse and Robin.

I wish DC would get Peter David back to write another teen superhero series.

Back on topic though... I hate that TPTB recognize the potential in GL to have a title set on Earth more often again... only to give it to these two characters. I'd kill to see Hal or Kyle back on Earth with a supporting cast for more than an issue a year. Or rather two or three pages in that one issue a year....

Hal and Kyle are arguably the most popular of the GL characters, they should be the stars of Green Lanterns. It's as simple as that. If you want sales to go up and stay up, give us what we want and not what TPTB think their universe needs in a GL title.

Then get the rest of the cosmic DC line back up to par at least. Legion, as it is/was, never got the same sales the parent series got [Legion of Superheroes]. They should pull a Guardians of the Galaxy with that. Let's see if there's any Darkstars in this new post New52/Rebirth universe. Whatever happened to the new [former Capt.] Comet? Will we ever see another version of STARMAN in the modern day, or are we stuck with Stargirl and only Stargirl?

~//V\\~

Old 08-12-2017, 07:30 PM   #15
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Hal and Kyle on Earth? I could go for that. Either in one title or preferably in two solo titles both on Earth. Both of them should be home, interacting with other human beings and their own suporting casts that aren't exclusively ring bearers.

And Guy/John the buddy cop book in space with the GLC.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:54 AM   #16
Big Blue Lantern
Corps Honor Guard

It's not perfect, but I think it's added a great deal to Simon's character. Jessica is still lagging a little, but this is a much better place for her than the main title where she'd get lost among a crowd of established characters.
Fear the banners and the Wildcat bite!
Big Blue Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:52 PM   #17
jonasmorking
Kyle's Nude Model

I don't understand why earth should have six Green Lanterns. When Jessicas charcter isn't doubting herself anymore there is nothing left since that's all she is based on.

Skickat från min G8231 via Tapatalk
jonasmorking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:00 PM   #18
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonasmorking View Post
When Jessicas charcter isn't doubting herself anymore there is nothing left since that's all she is based on.

Skickat från min G8231 via Tapatalk
That's an excellent point. When you create so many extra replacement heroes in any comic franchise, they need a hook to make them stand out. Like you say, when Jessica wraps up her arc of overcoming crazy, there won't be much left. You'll have her being a mexican and a woman, which are two checks off any SJW'S checklist, but those buffoons don't actually spend money on comics so they are only good for a pat on the back.

There will come a time when Goeff Johns doesn't work for DC (eventually), and then Simon and Jessica will be up for grabs as cannon fodder in some generic crisis event down the line.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:13 PM   #19
Star-Lantern
Green Lantern Initiate

I could be wrong, but I don't suspect Jessica Cruz will overcome her illness, for two reasons.

a) I'm not an expert, but I don't know if what she has is something that will up and go away and never return, or have the potential of returning. Things can definitely get better, but I think that can be a shade that hangs over a person in some cases.

b) As mentioned, it's her main defining trait, and once that is gone, what is she? Because of the lack of space for characters to develop and show readers who they really are in Green Lantern, the characters can usually only afford to have one or two character traits and defining moments.

Examples:
Hal Jordan - reckless hotshot who became Parallax.
John Stewart - Calculated marine who destroyed a world.
Guy Gardner - Goodnatured jerk loudmouth. Sadly, I think his biggest moment is getting punched by Batman. I guess when you look at this, these guys are most known for negative stuff. Though, I suppose it can be argued that since superheroes doing good things and winning is so normal, people mostly really pay attention to the times when they're shamed or they falter.
Kyle Rayner - sensitive artist who was the only Green Lantern for a time and his girlfriends die... or something.

That's pretty much all those characters get to be, so they can't afford to have any attributes taken away from them, including Jessica. There wouldn't be much left. It's really sad to think that despite some of these characters being around for decades upon decades, there's really hardly ANYTHING to them. But I guess the same could be said for someone like Link from the Legend of Zelda, but he's in games that can and often do get by with little story or character development, and he keeps rebooting practically every couple games. Rambling now, but still interesting to think about.

Last edited by Star-Lantern; 08-14-2017 at 08:17 PM.
Star-Lantern is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 01:03 AM   #20
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

If Jessica doesn't get over her mental illness, it will be because...bitches be crazy.