The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > General > General/About Us
FLASHCHAT

General

Old 12-28-2012, 11:13 PM   #26
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

This is 40 - Some really really funny moments in here. Jason Segal and Megan Fox were great together. This is hands down the best performance Leslie Mann has had. She was pretty damn good. Great movie, but I thought the ending could have been a lot stronger.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:07 AM   #27
Space Cop
The Dandy

Trying to fit in a bunch of Instant Netflix movies expiring before the new year. Fortunately, several are short.

Sorority House Massacre (1986)

Not of This Earth (1988)

Campy fun.

The Good Thief (2002)

The Caveman (1981)

Mostly slapstick but pretty decent. The dinosaur stop motion was great. Always fun to see a Beatle in a movie (especially in this case since Ringo met his wife, Barbara Bach, on set).

As I see more of his films, Neil Jordan has really become one of my favorite directors.

Hollywood Boulevard (1976)

"Oh, it's a delightful scene: you four girls massacre 300 Asiatic soldiers. Now your motivation, very important, is to massacre 300 Asiatic soldiers."

Corman-produced black comedy. Pretty fun.

Parents (1988)

Weird flick set in the '50s where an antsy kid suspects his parents of cannibalism.

Terror Within (1989)

Cheap and not-very-good post-apocalyptic Alien rip-off.

The Dam Busters (1955)

Very-good British WWII movie about the development and deployment of the bouncing bomb.

My Mom's a Werewolf (1989)

"Look, Edna, a singing werewolf. We don't see many of them nowadays, do we?"

Snake Eyes (1998)

Forgot I had seen this. It's not great and Cage's character is annoying as all get out, but De Palma pulls off some great technical shots.

Last edited by Space Cop; 12-31-2012 at 02:02 AM.
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:24 AM   #28
ns2
Your Clash At Demonhead

ns2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:39 AM   #29
Lord Infamous
Green Lantern Initiate

Back To The Future
Old 12-31-2012, 12:41 PM   #30
Lex Luthor
Corps Honor Guard

Lex Luthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:48 PM   #31
Space Cop
The Dandy

Brain Dead (1990)

"Residents of glass structures ought not hurl projectiles."

Good stuff. You don't know what's reality for most of the movie. Concepts I thought were original to other movies (like Memento, Lost Highway [also starring Pullman], and Sublime) were here first.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:35 AM   #32
Lord Infamous
Green Lantern Initiate

Wreck it Ralph
Old 01-01-2013, 09:23 AM   #33
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

Django Unchained - Fun movie. Some scenes were hard to take and there was A LOT of the N word being thrown around, but most if not all usage seemed justified. I don't think any performance deserves Academy recognition but everybody did a great job. Samuel L. Jackson and Leonardo DiCaprio especially. Leo is one of the best actors ever when he's got a great script and this was great performance.

Hyde Park on Hudson - Learned a lot about FDR. Too much. It dragged and often seemed like it didn't know who's story they were supposed to be telling. But for a short(1hr30min) limited release film I can't be too harsh, my expectation level wasn't very high. Poor Bill Murray though, he was completely forgettable performance wise. Guess that's what happens when you're too damn picky with your movies...though Moonrise Kingdom was quite good.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:45 AM   #34
Deadpool
Fight like a man: with your words, not your fists.

The Loved Ones. One of the best horrors I ever did saw.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Caesar View Post
If I had things like the internet and a laptop as a kid, I never would have left my room as a teenager.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker View Post
I am the Geoff Johns of the GLCMB.
Deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:43 PM   #35
Space Cop
The Dandy

The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane (1976)

Jodie Foster plays a 13-year-old who decides to cover up her parents' death in order live alone but has to contend with an uppity and inquisitive land lady and her pedophile son.

Wait Until Dark (1967)
Old 01-01-2013, 03:32 PM   #36
Fearless
Agent Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.West View Post
Django Unchained - Fun movie. Some scenes were hard to take and there was A LOT of the N word being thrown around, but most if not all usage seemed justified. I don't think any performance deserves Academy recognition but everybody did a great job. Samuel L. Jackson and Leonardo DiCaprio especially. Leo is one of the best actors ever when he's got a great script and this was great performance.

Good to hear, I'll be seeing this tomorrow...
Fearless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:26 PM   #37
JohnnyV
Pictionary Master

Overall, I enjoyed the movie. There were a couple of lingering problems which I think kept the movie from greatness, and from being one of Tarantino's best. First, while I thought Jamie Foxx's performance was great, I thought his growth was rushed and Tarantino did something that I haven't seen in any of his movies and it's he used a montage to show a character evolving. I thought there was a lot of the film which could have been replaced to dive deeper into Django's transformation from down-and-out slave to hardened bounty hunter.

I think a lot of the Big Daddy portion could have been replaced to show this growth. And the scene with the KKK, while funny, felt extremely disjointed. It's like the movie came out of itself and became aware of the ridiculousness. Which is fine in certain circumstances, but it really took me out of the experience.

For these reasons, I thought Waltz's character - Dr. King Schultz was the most interesting. Especially when the movie transitions to Candyland. I thought the most brilliant aspect of the movie was showing this bounty hunter who had been killing people and transporting their body for years, but you watched as he became more unsettled and horrified by the things he saw on the plantation. Leading to the great scene with him and Candy.

A good movie, but by Tarantino standards, I thought it was a bit of a letdown and I thought the tone was uneven in a lot of places. Which isn't something you see in a lot of his work. I'd still recommend it though, if for nothing else than to see what was one of Samuel L. Jackson's best performances since Pulp Fiction.

Follow The Nobodies Comic on Facebook or Twitter

Last edited by JohnnyV; 01-01-2013 at 04:31 PM.
JohnnyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:26 PM   #38
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Ghidorah: The Three Headed Monster (1964)

"Professor, what should we do?
"Clam down."
(Actual typo from subtitles)

Pretty damn good. The Princess/Venusian looked better (I feel) as a tomboy-clothed doomsday prophet. The revelation that Ghidorah single-handedly wiped out all of Venus was pretty surprising.

And thanks to this film, I now have a nickname for Hydreigon, once I catch a Deino and evolve him in Pokemon.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:49 PM   #39
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe

Watched it on Blu-Ray last night, still a great movie.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:07 PM   #40
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe

GREAT!
Old 01-01-2013, 08:32 PM   #41
W.West

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyV View Post

Overall, I enjoyed the movie. There were a couple of lingering problems which I think kept the movie from greatness, and from being one of Tarantino's best. First, while I thought Jamie Foxx's performance was great, I thought his growth was rushed and Tarantino did something that I haven't seen in any of his movies and it's he used a montage to show a character evolving. I thought there was a lot of the film which could have been replaced to dive deeper into Django's transformation from down-and-out slave to hardened bounty hunter.

I think a lot of the Big Daddy portion could have been replaced to show this growth. And the scene with the KKK, while funny, felt extremely disjointed. It's like the movie came out of itself and became aware of the ridiculousness. Which is fine in certain circumstances, but it really took me out of the experience.

For these reasons, I thought Waltz's character - Dr. King Schultz was the most interesting. Especially when the movie transitions to Candyland. I thought the most brilliant aspect of the movie was showing this bounty hunter who had been killing people and transporting their body for years, but you watched as he became more unsettled and horrified by the things he saw on the plantation. Leading to the great scene with him and Candy.

A good movie, but by Tarantino standards, I thought it was a bit of a letdown and I thought the tone was uneven in a lot of places. Which isn't something you see in a lot of his work. I'd still recommend it though, if for nothing else than to see what was one of Samuel L. Jackson's best performances since Pulp Fiction.

Man, I CRIED during the KKK scene. I think everyone in the theater did. You knew the movie would be ridiculous with the opening scene, so by the end, nothing seemed too over the top.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:57 PM   #42
JohnnyV
Pictionary Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.West View Post
Man, I CRIED during the KKK scene. I think everyone in the theater did. You knew the movie would be ridiculous with the opening scene, so by the end, nothing seemed too over the top.
Don't get me wrong, it was a hilarious scene. I hate to use the term, but it almost had a 'meta' quality to it, as if the movie became aware of its own ridiculousness. It reminded me of a scene from a Mel Brook's movie too. It just took me out of it a bit, and took me awhile to get invested in the story again.

Follow The Nobodies Comic on Facebook or Twitter

Last edited by JohnnyV; 01-01-2013 at 09:00 PM.
JohnnyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:52 PM   #43
Zander Yurami
Fear is Power

Old 01-01-2013, 10:10 PM   #44
Space Cop
The Dandy

Gamera: The Giant Monster (1965)

"SOS. Giant turtle sighted."

Watching it again with commentary too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Purple View Post
Ghidorah: The Three Headed Monster (1964)...Pretty damn good. The Princess/Venusian looked better (I feel) as a tomboy-clothed doomsday prophet. The revelation that Ghidorah single-handedly wiped out all of Venus was pretty surprising. . .
Yeah, this or Mothra vs. Godzilla is my favorite. It's funny, usually the human and alien plots feel like what you have to sit through until the good stuff (monster battles) start, but the princess storline I could've followed as its own story. Also, the "monster counsel" where the tiny beauties translate may be my single favorite Godzilla moment.

Last edited by Space Cop; 01-02-2013 at 01:24 PM.
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:37 PM   #45
GreenLantern2816
Guy's Drinking Buddy

Send a message via Skype™ to GreenLantern2816

Old 01-01-2013, 11:02 PM   #46
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe

Good movie. I enjoyed it.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:55 AM   #47
Space Cop
The Dandy

Gran Torino (2008)

Glad I finally saw this. Good stuff. I was surprised by the ending.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:20 AM   #48
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

I remember watching that and doing an analysis of it as part of my captivity narratives studies class in college.

Anyway:

King Solomon's Mines (1950)

"I've never taken a woman on safari."

First several minutes were unpleasant (as I loathe the killing of animals for sport/fun), but otherwise the cinematography was amazing, the characters certainly deep, and the story was good (woman searching for her lost husband). The twist later on was unforeseen, because I was expecting something in the other direction, and was pleasantly surprised.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:02 PM   #49
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

John Carter- This wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. It wasn't great, but it wasn't awful either, although there was too much of a lull in the action in the middle. It kind of put me to sleep at that point.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:08 PM   #50
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Invasion of Astro-Monster (1965)

"Water is more precious than gold."

Not as good as Three Headed Monster, but Ghidorah returns to raise hell, this time as part of a bait-and-switch with some alien douches. Overall, pretty good.