The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Red Lanterns/Warrior/Guy Gardner
FLASHCHAT

Red Lanterns
View Poll Results: Rate RL #13
* 1 10.00%
** 1 10.00%
*** 4 40.00%
**** 3 30.00%
***** 1 10.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-26-2012, 06:20 PM   #26
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Except I'm not "blaming" him for anything. I'm not convinced it was a "mistake".

Surely Johns has scripted the overall "event" right? You think he really just told each writer what stuff to reveal in their book, without ANY mention of WHEN? Even for a major plot point? That seems more haphazard than I would expect from the person planning an event.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:28 PM   #27
Gauntlet101010
Alpha-Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
Except I'm not "blaming" him for anything. I'm not convinced it was a "mistake".

Surely Johns has scripted the overall "event" right? You think he really just told each writer what stuff to reveal in their book, without ANY mention of WHEN? Even for a major plot point? That seems more haphazard than I would expect from the person planning an event.
I don't expect him to plot out other people's books issue by issue, no.

And haphazard? Come on, man, that's the theme of the entire new 52! If you want to blame Johns (or hold him responsible) for being haphazard and trusting RL's editor to do his job, then so be it. But it's up to the RL people to craft what they've been given into a story. Johns can't be credited or blamed for their storyline. I'm sure it's a team effort, but I doubt they hold meetings about each issue of every book.

Last edited by Gauntlet101010; 10-26-2012 at 08:33 PM.
Gauntlet101010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:46 PM   #28
Mister Ed

Why would Red Lantern's editor be expected to know when, in the course of the event, this bit of info is supposed to be revealed? Where would he get that bit of information? Either SOMEBODY is paying attention to the overall picture (which would logically be Johns), or nobody is, in which case, how can one "blame" anybody for getting it "wrong" when "right" was never established by the driving force behind the event?

I'm just not quite getting, if we are assuming that Red Lanterns jumped the gun on the weakness reveal (and that's not an assumption I'm personally making at this point), how exactly did we expect the editor OR the writer on that title to know when "too early" WAS without word from a central authority?
Old 10-26-2012, 09:52 PM   #29
Gauntlet101010
Alpha-Lantern

The writer and editor should be blamed for jumping the gun BECAUSE JUMPING THE GUN IS A BAD IDEA. Telling people how the bad guy will be beaten in act 1 is a terrible WRITING choice and it's terrible EDITING to let him go through with it. And you don't need someone looking over your shoulder to see that, it's just plain common sense not to show all your cards immediately.

I don't quite get why you think it's, somehow, not a mistake when it telegraphs the ending so clearly. It seems to me like they were given a nugget of information to share and just didn't know how to do it, so they did it in the most obvious manner possible.

Look, let's just agree to disagree already. Clearly you don't agree with my point and I don't agree with yours. You're not going to convince me that Johns oversaw the plotting for this issue of Red Lanterns ... or that he cares for an individual issue's plotting when he has his own job to worry about. It doesn't even look like he has a great hold on his own plans for the main GL book, never mind overseeing details from the other three personally.

Last edited by Gauntlet101010; 10-26-2012 at 10:00 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:04 PM   #30
Mister Ed

Fair enough. You certainly aren't going to convince me that telling someone when an important plot point (for the event you are overseeing) is supposed to surface is equivalent to plotting out the entire issue for them, which is what you seem to keep implying.

If this really IS how the Third Army will be beaten (and if it ISN'T, then this ISN'T jumping the gun, but rather misdirection) then its reveal is a MAJOR plot point for the event as a whole, and something whose timing I can't imagine wouldn't have come up in meetings to coordinate the event.

So yeah, I'll definitely agree to disagree.

Last edited by Mister Ed; 10-26-2012 at 10:11 PM.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:21 PM   #31
Gauntlet101010
Alpha-Lantern

Let me leave out implications. I don't think Johns told them which issue to reveal the 3rd army's weakness. I don't think Johns oversees Red Lanterns to that degree, even with a "major event" going on (and where is there not a major event going on in GL? It's all either a major event or gearing up for the next major event.)

If the next issue of GLC gives us the same things happening, then I'll eat my words and agree that it must have been plotted out by Johns. Still a terrible writing decision, but one Johns could be held responsible for.

Last edited by Gauntlet101010; 10-26-2012 at 10:26 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:34 PM   #32
Mister Ed

And for my part, if it DOES turn out that this IS the way they beat the Third Army, I'll definitely agree that revealing it this soon WAS a mistake.
Old 10-27-2012, 12:32 AM   #33
Trigger
Hal's Understudy

The dialogue in this issue was atrocious. The art didn't help either.