The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern on the Screen
FLASHCHAT

GL in Animation

Old 03-05-2013, 05:11 PM   #626
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe

Friq Cartoon Network.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:23 PM   #627
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

I wouldn't want to see the Alpha Lanterns, personally, unless they changed the storyline considerably. That was all part of the "Evil Guardians" evolution that I despise in Geoff's title. I suppose if they made it the work of a lone, rogue Guardian, that would be OK, but I much prefer the Guardians being jerks vs. deliberately mutilating Corps members without their express, informed consent.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:29 PM   #628
SD80MAC
Not a True Fan

Yep. The comic book Alpha Lanterns wouldn't work on GLTAS. Neither would Blackest Night, for that matter.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:30 PM   #629
Lantern A-train
Guardian of the Universe

Well the comic book Red Lanterns would not have worked either but they made it work.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:39 PM   #630
Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantern A-train View Post
Well the comic book Red Lanterns would not have worked either but they made it work.
The Red Lanterns didn't require THAT much modification, IMHO. They were just toned down a bit and given the power of speech, a coherent goal, and a big spaceship.

The comic realized, pretty quickly, that one of those was necessary, and gave them the power of speech, too. I'm still waiting for it to provide one of the others- and I don't mean the spaceship.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:40 PM   #631
SD80MAC
Not a True Fan

I wouldn't mind seeing Shard in the comics; I thought it looked pretty cool.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:49 PM   #632
Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD80MAC View Post
I wouldn't mind seeing Shard in the comics; I thought it looked pretty cool.
I wouldn't mind either, though it would be difficult to introduce at this point. I'd just rather have a coherent direction for the Red Lantern Corps.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:11 PM   #633
SD80MAC
Not a True Fan

HA! We're much more likely to have Shard.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:14 PM   #634
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

Quote:
Yep. The comic book Alpha Lanterns wouldn't work on GLTAS. Neither would Blackest Night, for that matter.
Why not? They don't have to be the focus. The Alpha's weren't really a focus until very very recently. Why can't they have an episode where Guy Gardner is recruited by the Alpha Lanterns and they get into shenanigans and realize that the sacrifice to become an Alpha just isn't worth the glory it brings?

And the only reason why Blackest Night wouldn't really work well is because there's not enough history with these characters to warrant bringing back dead people.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:24 PM   #635
Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.West View Post
Why not? They don't have to be the focus. The Alpha's weren't really a focus until very very recently. Why can't they have an episode where Guy Gardner is recruited by the Alpha Lanterns and they get into shenanigans and realize that the sacrifice to become an Alpha just isn't worth the glory it brings?
But that wouldn't exactly be the comic book Alphas (though the deviation wouldn't be any more than the RLs I suppose). Still, for my part, it isn't that I don't think the comic book Alphas couldn't work in the show, so much as I don't WANT them to be in the show, because if they are like the comic book Alphas, then they represent a big step in the path toward the Guardians being evil, instead of just jerky. I didn't like that path in the comic, and I wouldn't want it anywhere near the show.

Quote:
And the only reason why Blackest Night wouldn't really work well is because there's not enough history with these characters to warrant bringing back dead people.
Very true. After several seasons, if enough characters of note died (or enough important, but now dead, characters were introduced into the main character's backstories) they could do something LIKE Blackest Night, but I'd still prefer to maintain a certain level of family-friendliness to the show, which I enjoy watching with my kids. Nasty psychological manipulation by undead loved ones might be a bit too much for my selfish desire to maintain that family-friendly tone.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:29 PM   #636
SD80MAC
Not a True Fan

Quote:
No, the reason BN wouldn't work is that it's focused on violently murdering people and bringing them back as Black Lanterns whose sole purpose is to violently murder more people. You're not going to get that on a children's show.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:31 PM   #637
Mister Ed

On another note, does anybody else feel like, while it makes for a dramatic visual, the rapid snuffing of whole swathes of stars in the sky...

a.) doesn't fit at all with the speed of destruction we've seen from the Anti-Monitor, or Aya-Monitor, by several orders of magnitude, and

b.) makes Aya's crimes so horrifically vast that they should be aiming to take her down as fast as possible, because the stakes are too high for trying to redeem her, AND an Aya returned to her previous self would be so horrified by what she had done that she might PREFER destruction.

It just seems like, in a universe that seems so populated as the GL one does, there's no way you could snuff that many stars without being responsible for the deaths of billions at LEAST.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:32 PM   #638
Lantern A-train
Guardian of the Universe

I see what you are saying SD80 but I think it could still be done somewhat with some proper tweaking. I mean even in the comics we had people become Black Lanterns without being killed IIRC. You could still turn people into "zombies" of sorts. Just make them more like brainless beings with no will of their own being controlled by the head Black Lantern.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:37 PM   #639
Mister Ed

Quote:
No, the reason BN wouldn't work is that it's focused on violently murdering people and bringing them back as Black Lanterns whose sole purpose is to violently murder more people. You're not going to get that on a children's show.
Well, you might get away with it if all the Black Lanterns were people that were already dead prior to the story, and they were sufficiently unsuccessful at actually killing more people to swell their ranks. If they were shown as more menacing than truly dangerous to the main characters (you might even be able to get away with the BLs swelling their ranks through death OFFSCREEN, if you weren't explicit about it). That would clearly be VERY different in tone to the comics version, of course, but IMHO it could still be sufficiently disturbing that I'd be reluctant to have my 5-year-old watch it.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:35 PM   #640
Trigger
Hal's Understudy

They would probably have made the Black Rings just turn people into mindless slaves void of emotions, it would reiterate the plot with the Manhunters as emotions being what's wrong in the universe.

I see two scenarios on how the Alpha Lanterns may have worked
1. Later on in the show being similar to a third army scenario where Scar takes the Guardians out of the equation somehow and tries to convert the whole corp into robots.

2. Aya would be dubbed later on the first official Alpha Lantern and more AI type people like Stel would be brought on.

There's also the connection of Aya and Ion. Very interested to see where that would have gone, if anywhere. If Kyle never made it to the show maybe she would have become its host.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:27 PM   #641
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

I think the Alpha Lanterns could work. Hal Jordan has become notorious for bucking authority, insubordination and negatively affecting and influencing other corps members (Kilowog, Tomar, etc.), so the Guardians could easily insitiute the Alphas as a police force to keep the GL corps in line. For the cartoon, they could keep it relatively simple.

The only way the Blackest Night storyline would work is if they made it a DTV. Not only is it not appropriate for children or daytime television, there are too many other DCU characters that play significant roles, and the backstories would take too much time. Since the story encompasses so many characters, they would have to make it a two-parter, like they did with the Dark Knight Returns.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:38 PM   #642
Robinson
Guardian Of The Universe

They would just focus on the GL aspect of it.

No superman ww or martian manhunter Bl's
Old 03-05-2013, 09:38 PM   #643
Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylent_Asassin View Post
I think the Alpha Lanterns could work. Hal Jordan has become notorious for bucking authority, insubordination and negatively affecting and influencing other corps members (Kilowog, Tomar, etc.), so the Guardians could easily insitiute the Alphas as a police force to keep the GL corps in line. For the cartoon, they could keep it relatively simple.
Creation of the ROLE of Alpha Lantern I would not really have a problem with. If the Guardians started gutting Lanterns and mutilating them to transform them into these freaky hybrids with changed personalities, and doing all that without informed consent ahead of time, THAT I would have a problem with, since I hated the Guardians going that route in the comic.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:33 AM   #644
Lego_man2323
Major Force's Dinner Date

Just watched the Larfleeze episode, I was very impressed. I felt he didn't have the childish personaility he's had in the comics as of late, much similar to how he was back when the Agent Orange arc happened. More serious, but not too serious for a childrens show. I didn't like that other than summoning glomulus and a large version of himself, he didn't really use the ring, I would've liked to see him actually summon many of the fallen Oranges or something.

Overall, I think it was a pretty good episode.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:39 AM   #645
Trigger
Hal's Understudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lego_man2323 View Post
Just watched the Larfleeze episode, I was very impressed. I felt he didn't have the childish personaility he's had in the comics as of late, much similar to how he was back when the Agent Orange arc happened. More serious, but not too serious for a childrens show. I didn't like that other than summoning glomulus and a large version of himself, he didn't really use the ring, I would've liked to see him actually summon many of the fallen Oranges or something.

It's lack of money. That's why you see duplicated Glomis on the show.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:23 AM   #646
Lego_man2323
Major Force's Dinner Date

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
That makes sense,
Old 03-06-2013, 12:47 PM   #647
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lego_man2323 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
They also seemed to suggest that Hal took the power at some point. In the last cave battle he wasn't doing anything with his ring.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:31 PM   #648
Space Cop
The Dandy

Finally saw "Scarred" and the new episode. Great stuff. Guy is actually funny.

And I love Chaselon's technical talk: "Yes, our forward momentum is not easily arrested!"
Old 03-09-2013, 08:42 PM   #649
Jeffi.Kaiser
Guy's Designated Dr

I loved everything in this episode. This show has proven time and time again that it understands how to utilize the characters and the stories they can tell. Loved it. Especially Hals "The fake news show reporter?" line!
Jeffi.Kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:37 AM   #650
CeltiC5-27
Weaponer of Qward

I bet the John Stewart fans are probably pissed now that we know he exists in the show's universe, and was probably going to make an appearance if there was another season.

Anyway, yesterday's episode was great! I'm glad we finally got to see the corps in action and go up against the manhunters. Though I would've liked to see a little more of them and I was hoping to see Sinestro somewhere. I'm sad the shows ending but I can't wait to see how it will end.

https://twitter.com/CeltiC527

Last edited by CeltiC5-27; 03-10-2013 at 08:39 AM.
CeltiC5-27 is offline   Reply With Quote