The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Red Lanterns/Warrior/Guy Gardner
FLASHCHAT

Red Lanterns

Old 01-03-2011, 10:11 PM   #26
Orion Pax
Iolande's Bodyguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Cormier View Post
You know you're buying this. We're ALL buying it.
This seems llike the relationship of an abused wife.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:13 PM   #27
antilles
Corps Recruit

Sigh. While alot of people complain about all the Marvel movie related bumps in character titles recently (ie. Thor and Captain America titles), you'd think DC would take advantage of the upcoming GL movie to try to promote Hal just a bit.
How about instead of a title based on supporting characters, DC gives us a second Hal title. That way Geoff Johns can continue his galactic colour war in the main title and someone else (Busiek, Waid?) can give us stories about Hal against any of a number of non colour swapped foes and the occasional glimpse of his non-superhero life.
antilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:15 PM   #28
Frank Castle
Alpha-Lantern

Not surprising, the only thing that is...is that its ongoing, I always knew their would be a corps spin off, but thought it would be limited.

I dont see this lasting very long anyway, yeah so I get Atrocitus is angry, dont think I need another book to explain that, and tbh his other RAGE memebers are very uninteresting.

I wonder how come Kyle and John were overlooked, or maybe theirs more GL books on the way, 2011 will probably be the peak of GJ time with GL franchise, with everything thats coming this year.
Frank Castle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:15 PM   #29
myuserid
Lantern Hex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1812 View Post
the Rainbow Brigade might get pushed into obscurity, never to be seen again.
This sounds great to me.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:15 PM   #30
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB

Craziness.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:17 PM   #31
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Castle View Post

I wonder how come Kyle and John were overlooked,.
Because they believe Kyle and John are getting their fair shakes in GLC.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:18 PM   #32
Colonel Xonic
The Butcher

Send a message via Skype™ to Colonel Xonic

Quote:
You know you're buying this. We're ALL buying it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Showens View Post
I don't consider myself an idiot....I don't blindly buy titles just because they might be connected to something I'm reading. I buy what I like. Will I buy RLC? Yes. The first issue at least. If it doesn't "do it" for me.... it's gone just like anything else.
Just about sums it all up.
Colonel Xonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:20 PM   #33
JME2
Corps Honor Guard

Honestly, I'm not particularly thrilled about this being an ongoing. Three books was already pushing it and this feels like over-saturation now.

Money is also a little tight at the moment and I don't think I can free up the fund s to add this to my pull list.
JME2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:27 PM   #34
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB

It's kind of bothersome to me to think that all four GL books will essentially be ensemble cast books.

Doesn't anyone rate a solo book anymore?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:30 PM   #35
Frank Castle
Alpha-Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.West View Post
Because they believe Kyle and John are getting their fair shakes in GLC.
Well I guess so, but Atrocitus just took over Hals own book, that might as well have been RL issue one right there.

I just dont know where you can go with a character like Atrocitus in a on going book, he is a fun character in short bursts, but him puking blood and raging all the time would get old fast.
Frank Castle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:43 PM   #36
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Red Lantern seems like a concept that would be good for maybe a 6 issue mini series, and collected into a trade. I'm failing to see the gas in the tank for the long haul of an ongoing series.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:44 PM   #37
Godmera
Champion of the World

Send a message via AIM to Godmera Send a message via Yahoo to Godmera
Talking

The more Corps titles the better.
Godmera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:51 PM   #38
JME2
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godmera View Post
The more Corps titles the better.
No, it's not. This over-saturation is exactly why people complain about the Batman titles or the X-Men books.

And financially, I have a backlog of last year's comics I still haven't picked up and I'm wary of adding this to the pile. In fact, I'm looking at the long-term costs of this hobby and it's getting more and more expensive. I honestly don't know how much longer I'll continue to collect.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:00 PM   #39
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

Quote:
Originally Posted by JME2 View Post
No, it's not. This over-saturation is exactly why people complain about the Batman titles or the X-Men books.

I'll
never complain about a character branching off, but if it CAN'T come up with a good enough premise to do so then I'll start complaining. The Batman titles and the X-Men titles all have different characters(with Batman or Wolverine usually starring in at least two), which means a lot. But as Andrew just said, all four of these books have giant casts of characters. Where's the spotlight? Shouldn't the point of launching another ongoing series be to shed some light on something getting eclipsed? There are millions of characters that, and I mean this part sincerely, DESERVE an ongoing series more than these one note lanterns. That's why I'm upset, not over-saturation.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:03 PM   #40
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Quote:
Red Lantern seems like a concept that would be good for maybe a 6 issue mini series, and collected into a trade. I'm failing to see the gas in the tank for the long haul of an ongoing series.
I agree. I can't IMAGINE what we would be getting in, say, Red Lanterns, issue# 36 (if it lasts that long). I just am not seeing the fascination of following around a bunch of pissed off aliens on a regular monthly basis. There isn't any real room for character development, because if they depart from their one-note raging, they aren't really going to be Red Lanterns any more. Like probably everybody else here, I'll get the first issue. Heck, I'll probably get the first arc, as I can see where a decent mini would come from this. But I'll be surprised if this doesn't become the first ever GL-related ongoing that I drop (unless it avoids that fate by getting cancelled. THAT I could believe).

Would have been MUCH better to have a series that focussed on members of various other Corps on a rotating basis. Do an arc on the Red Lanterns, then move on to an arc on Blue, or Indigo. The only worse choice for an ongoing based on another Corps, IMHO, would be to give Larfleeze an ongoing. I think somebody is misinterpreting the popularity of Geoff's emotional-spectrum related events to mean that people are really interested in the characters of those other Corps individually, rather than simply as interesting concepts that add to the mythos.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:08 PM   #41
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I know Guy's book has other characters in it, but he really needs them. Guy's the kind of character that needs others to bounce off of and Killowog, Arisia and Ganthet seem more like supporting characters to me. GL and GLC are flat out ensemble books though, and GL shouldn't be. I'm sure Red Lantern (or whatever the title ends up being) will be an ensemble book too.

Would it kill them to let GL be a Hal title, and create a solo title for John or Kyle?
Old 01-03-2011, 11:11 PM   #42
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
I agree. I can't IMAGINE what we would be getting in, say, Red Lanterns, issue# 36 (if it lasts that long). I just am not seeing the fascination of following around a bunch of pissed off aliens on a regular monthly basis. There isn't any real room for character development, because if they depart from their one-note raging, they aren't really going to be Red Lanterns any more. Like probably everybody else here, I'll get the first issue. Heck, I'll probably get the first arc, as I can see where a decent mini would come from this. But I'll be surprised if this doesn't become the first ever GL-related ongoing that I drop (unless it avoids that fate by getting cancelled. THAT I could believe).

Would have been MUCH better to have a series that focussed on members of various other Corps on a rotating basis. Do an arc on the Red Lanterns, then move on to an arc on Blue, or Indigo. The only worse choice for an ongoing based on another Corps, IMHO, would be to give Larfleeze an ongoing. I think somebody is misinterpreting the popularity of Geoff's emotional-spectrum related events to mean that people are really interested in the characters of those other Corps individually, rather than simply as interesting concepts that add to the mythos.
They sure are striking while the iron is hot aren't they? Can't blame DC for that, but like you said, can you imagine Red Lantern #50? What could be left to say by then? Seems like they would be dead or still pissed off by then.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:12 PM   #43
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe

Frade not!
Mister.Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:16 PM   #44
JME2
Corps Honor Guard

Unless they're planning to only a certain number of issues.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:18 PM   #45
W.West

And if that's the case, it should be a mini.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:24 PM   #46
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe

Well alas it isn't.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:26 PM   #47
Mewzard
Say what you will about masturbation...

I'm an optimist, so I'm going to hope for the absolute best to occur, and the book to become an excellent ongoing we all want to continue to read every month. It likely won't, but damn it, I won't give up Hope.

Come listen to our cast, and have a ball while you're at it! : D
Mewzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:28 PM   #48
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Quote:
They sure are striking while the iron is hot aren't they? Can't blame DC for that, but like you said, can you imagine Red Lantern #50? What could be left to say by then? Seems like they would be dead or still pissed off by then.
Exactly, and the name of the title is part of what makes me very skeptical. If they just named it after Atrocitus, then we could maybe end up following a story arc where he finally gets some resolution, and moves on and grows as a character. But "Red Lantern" just concentrates on the aspect that is, IMHO, least sustainable on a monthly basis. Red Lanterns are, it seems by definition, STUCK in a cycle of endless rage. There is no ROOM for development, by their very nature. The only really fascinating things about Red Lanterns, IMHO, are the stories of how they got that way, and possibly stories of some of them getting redeemed and moving on. But the story of what they are actually doing AS Red Lanterns? I can't see why I would care for very long...
Old 01-03-2011, 11:34 PM   #49
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe

I'd pick up the first issue, and go from there.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:40 PM   #50
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.West View Post
And if that's the case, it should be a mini.
They could always do an Ion job where one minute they market it as an ongoing, and the next it's a mini series...the minute the GL film leaves theaters that is.

Though Jonah Hex is still running which I never would have expected. I thought that book would have been gone the moment the movie had run its course.