The New Guy...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The New Guy...

Well I finally was able to get over here. Just what I need another Forum right?

Well wanted to intro myself. My name is Ryan. I am a 20 year veteran and “freshly” retired US Navy Aircrew Survival Equipmentman or better known as a Parachute Rigger. As for my career I went to boot camp in 1990 at Great Lakes, IL and my class “A” School was in Millington, TN. After graduation I was first stationed at NAS Miramar, CA with an E-2C Hawkeye Airborne Early Warning squadron for four years. Next, I moved a little south to NAS North Island also in San Diego, CA where I was with a helicopter SAR unit that maintained H-3 Sea King’s for four more years. Took the leap and moved all the way to Washington DC to Andrews AFB / NAF Wash DC to work on EA-6B’s Electronic Warfare jammers that took me all over the world before, during and after 9/11. I then headed south to NAS Atlanta to the Aircraft Intermediate Maintenance Department running the entire 800 Division Paraloft supporting 5 squadrons. On March 26th, 2006 I had the pleasure of Amanda Tapping performing my final re-enlistment ceremony in Vancouver, BC. Shortly later I headed to great white north for a brief year and half to NAS Brunswick, Maine to work on P-3 Orion’s until our decommission on 30 November 2007. I was then sent quickly down to the swamp to my last position for 3 years as Leading Petty Officer of the flight equipment shop of an F-18A+ adversary squadron stationed at NAS JRB New Orleans. I retired July 31st, 2010 with 20 years, 11 months and 22 days and moved north to return to college and work on my hobby.

As for my hobbies, the biggest one is prop and costuming. My wife and I both share this hobby and have spent years and way too much money putting together authentic and very realistic prop and costumes. We do a lot of charity work for children and events with our costumes and it can be a lot of fun. I started out doing only Stargate and Stargate Atlantis, but now do Star Wars and a few others and now have about 20 full costumes. My wife has over 30 between Star Wars, Stargate, Stargate Atlantis, Stargate Universe, Firefly, Harry Potter, Matrix, Pirates and various Disney characters.
    Stitch
    Kilowog's Recruit
    Last edited by Stitch; 09-16-2011, 05:40 PM. Reason: Spelling...
    ~Stitch's Loft

(Bio cont.)

While in New Orleans I was hired as a military costume adviser and prop consultant on a major motion picture you guy might heard of. Green Lantern or something... . They also gave me small part in the film. I had the pleasure of working for two Hollywood’s best Prop Master and Costume Designers. It was a dream come true for me and my wife to take my 20 years of military knowledge and our hobby and twist into a job. Now I am taking those skills and giving my friends a chance to share my passion for prop and costuming. So I created my own website. Over the years of becoming a rigger the nickname of “Stitch” was a constant, it normally was followed by the name of female dog by my friend in jest, but the word “Loft” was taken from Paraloft where all the work was done! It only seemed the obvious my site should be called “Stitch’s Loft”.

I still mostly into Stargate and will love that show forever, I would not met my wife if it was not for that show! Ya I am big geek at heart, but don't we all have little closet geek in all of us? Anyway I have a very LARGE knowledge of the film and the props, so thought I could share some that with the true fans. So fee free to hit me up and I am here for anyone to pick my brain! Or come by and check out the loft... www.stitchsloft.com. I have a small section called "Hal's Corner" you guys might like! Look forward to becoming a familiar face around here!
    ~Stitch's Loft

Comment

Hi!

Comment

LOL Hi!
        ~Stitch's Loft

Comment

Welcome!! Nice site, interested in the gl movie ring replica. BTW. are you a buddy of Cyber bishop? ( i think he was an extra in the gl movie)

Comment

Originally posted by Shaolinlantern View Post
            Welcome!! Nice site, interested in the gl movie ring replica. BTW. are you a buddy of Cyber bishop? ( i think he was an extra in the gl movie)
            I am not sure who he is since I am new here, what did he do on the film? I was there for almost 6 months so I may have met him. I did few days of extra work but they get treated like peasants LOL. I had a young eager AD get little snippy with me one day then I pulled out my CREW badge told her to relax!

She wasn't impressed, neither was I...

I think she was not there the day Martin Campbell looked at ME and said "Ok Mate how should we shoot this?" She and I didn't speak after that day... LOL wish that would happened the NEXT day though!
            Stitch
            Kilowog's Recruit
            Last edited by Stitch; 09-16-2011, 06:32 PM.
            ~Stitch's Loft

Comment

He is a member of this board and told us that one of his friends was a military consultant for this movie and had also access to the prop rooms, I think he lives in NO.

Comment

Ok he might been UCAV Tech guy #6. I have a FB buddy that did the SAME extra job as me in the film, but he was cut... He was far left of the camera and that shot got cut out...

Only 3 of the 6 of us in the control room showed up IN the movie. Well Ozzy's head was there behind me, but you can't really see him. So 3 1/2 I guess...
                ~Stitch's Loft

Comment

Originally posted by Shaolinlantern View Post
                  Welcome!! Nice site, interested in the gl movie ring replica. )
                  Ya if you want ring let me know, talk to me then get sized and let me know the outcome and I can help you get good fit they can be hard to get right if you do not get sized properly...
                  ~Stitch's Loft

Comment

Also Shaolinlantern, if you might be interested in Ferris Patches I am looking at doing run soon! No one will have these! They didn't even get anything but name tag on the Carol Barbie doll... Here is my INT thread...

http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/...ad.php?t=19532
                    ~Stitch's Loft

Comment

OK WHY DOES IT SAY "Kyle's Nude Model" under my name? LOL
                      ~Stitch's Loft

Comment

Ok so I need 35 posts to not be nude model, hmm should I just sit here and talk to myself? LOL Better go do post office run got to keep my customers happy! Whatever mod set that up I am looking for you!
                        ~Stitch's Loft

Comment

Welcome to the boards! Very interesting life you've led sir.

She blinded me with SCIENCE!

Comment

You just witnessed the strength of geek knowledge. N.W.A., Nerd With Attitude. Straight out of Vulcan!

Comment

Originally posted by TheGoatLantern View Post
                              Welcome to the boards! Very interesting life you've led sir.
                              Thanks! I try to keep life fun! I never let anyone tell me can't accomplish something. In 2006 I got idea to have Amanda Tapping do my final re-enlistment ceremony in the Navy... I was told about 100 times it was pipe dream and it never happen!

LOL Ya guess what?
                              Stitch
                              Kilowog's Recruit
                              Last edited by Stitch; 09-16-2011, 09:27 PM.
                              ~Stitch's Loft

Comment

Working...
                              X