Horror Cinema

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I View Post
    As far as horror films go it is. I have my little pantheon of favorites, Jaws, Star Wars, King Kong, etc, and The Thing is my favorite horror film and well in my overall top 10.
    Actually, that might have been an incorrect analogy on my part since you are talking about an all-inclusive realm of The Thing and I'm just talking about a single character. Perhaps a more correct analogy would be:

(All encompassing) world of The Thing

Is equal to

(All encompassing) world of The Transformers

I dunno. Who cares. It's late. The dog is snoring. I've been up 20 hours straight. I cannot brain right now, I gots the dumbs.

Comment

• Yeah, well I'm a REAL light sleeper Childs!

Comment

Yeah, well I'm a REAL light sleeper Childs!
        Ha, I get it.

Space Cop
        The Dandy
        Last edited by Space Cop; 06-09-2016, 04:20 PM.

Comment

Yeah, well I'm a REAL light sleeper Childs!
          Incredible movie.

Comment

• I think Halloween is Carpenter's best but this is a close second for sure. I'm also a huge EFNY fan.
            http://cropsycrypt.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by BLACK HAND View Post
              I think Halloween is Carpenter's best but this is a close second for sure. I'm also a huge EFNY fan.
              Love them both. Escape is a Classic, too (the sequel was fun imo). Really seminal synth/soundtrack stuff there, too.

Comment

• Originally posted by BLACK HAND View Post
                I think Halloween is Carpenter's best but this is a close second for sure. I'm also a huge EFNY fan.
                I actually like both The Thing and Big Trouble in Little China more than Halloween. I'd have to admit, though, in a technical sense Halloween is a better achievement than BTiLC. The latter has a lot of cult/camp value to me. I probably watch it a couple times a year versus once every couple years with Halloween (though that may change if/when I get the set--I don't currently own Halloween).

Space Cop
                The Dandy
                Last edited by Space Cop; 06-09-2016, 05:34 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                  I actually like both The Thing and Big Trouble in Little China more than Halloween. I'd have to admit, though, in a technical sense Halloween is a better achievement than BTiLC. The latter has a lot of cult/camp value to me. I probably watch it a couple times a year versus once every couple years with Halloween (though that may change if/when I get the set--I don't currently own Halloween).

It's about a once-a-decade thing for me (I saw BTiLC back when I first came out...twice). But I'm smiling every time.

Halloween II was good, it just paled next to the original (not a lot that doesn't, first come to mind: Night of the Living Dead). And I thought III was pretty good, though I get crap about liking that movie...I'm honestly not sure why. It wasn't "Michael Meyers" Halloween, but a cool, creepy spookshow anyhoo imo.

It seemed to me the Halloween sequels after tried too hard. But I still throw on the ones with Pleasance every now and then.

Comment

(I don't currently own Halloween).
                    Excuse me, sir? Hello, I'm Officer Voorhees. I'm going to have to ask you to please surrender your horror fan membership card; it's been revoked. You will be eligible for reapplication in 90 (ninety) days time once you have purchased one of the most defining movies of the genre, namely, Halloween. Until that time, you may NOT post in this thread.

Comment

• ^I know, right? I own nearly a thousand movies on DVD and BD. Somewhere between 1/4 and 1/3 of them are horror and yet I don't own Halloween.

It's not because I don't like it. In fact a big part of it was that I thought the first couple releases on DVD were crumby and I was waiting for a good release. Now, several good ones have come out, but I found I was either always catching it on TV or borrowing it from my friend, so I didn't bother. Now, I want that BD set of all the movies, but I don't have the bread.

Comment

• God-fucking-damnit, the Deluxe Edition is sold out. (Damn Dave probably bought every copy available by taking out a second mortgage on his house).

Gonna have to get the Collector's Edition.
                        Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• Originally posted by Agent Purple View Post
                          God-fucking-damnit, the Deluxe Edition is sold out. (Damn Dave probably bought every copy available by taking out a second mortgage on his house).

Gonna have to get the Collector's Edition.
                          Have it. Reccomended. The sound makes all the difference, hope you have surround.

Comment

• Originally posted by Agent Purple View Post
                            (Damn Dave probably bought every copy available by taking out a second mortgage on his house).
                            He did take out the 2nd mortgage, but it wasn't for the movie- it was for the life size Han in Carbonite sculpture that only 500 were made of. And the Mrs still doesn't know about it.

Comment

Same, my favorite Carpenter film isn't even Halloween. It's Escape From New York. I just dig the gritty look of the film. It's of course a bit silly, but it's a fun movie to watch. I especially love the synth score, probably the most of out of Carpenter's scores, even moreso then Halloween's score.

I also dig BTILC, which is campy over the top intentional fun.

Comment

• Originally posted by KilowogsDisciple View Post
                                It's about a once-a-decade thing for me (I saw BTiLC back when I first came out...twice). But I'm smiling every time.

Halloween II was good, it just paled next to the original (not a lot that doesn't, first come to mind: Night of the Living Dead). And I thought III was pretty good, though I get crap about liking that movie...I'm honestly not sure why. It wasn't "Michael Meyers" Halloween, but a cool, creepy spookshow anyhoo imo.

It seemed to me the Halloween sequels after tried too hard. But I still throw on the ones with Pleasance every now and then.
                                Halloween IV is damn good. Easily my favorite of the Halloween sequels. It carries over a lot of the feel and atmosphere of the original. It even has a pretty awesome ending, which sadly the fifth film ignored.

Comment

Working...
                                X