No announcement yet.

Larfleeze cancelled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If comic fans actually paid for their hubris, then we'd have had nothing but great comics for decades, and reboots would not be necessary.
    The last fan of 1990s comics
    Read my Green Lantern blog The Indigo Tribe

Comment

Originally posted by Spy Smasher View Post
      I think you could maybe put the whole emotional spectrum in one comic and see how it works there, rather than building the whole franchise around it. I suggested that, and of course I got shouted down.

Really, there ought to be some kind of penalty that these "fans" should pay for being so wrong so many times, and for being such jerks in the process. At least they could pay it in terms of their conduct and their overconfidence.
      I would think the penalty would be in the quality of the comics themselves, wouldn't it? And if they ARE enjoying the comics, then really it is hard to say they were "wrong" isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
        I would think the penalty would be in the quality of the comics themselves, wouldn't it? And if they ARE enjoying the comics, then really it is hard to say they were "wrong" isn't it?
        They won't say they're wrong until the comics are canceled. But hell, they won't even say it then. How many of them have said they were wrong to fight so hard to keep Hal and the Corps gone for so long? All they do there uis change the subject.

Comment

They won't say they're wrong until the comics are canceled. But hell, they won't even say it then. How many of them have said they were wrong to fight so hard to keep Hal and the Corps gone for so long? All they do there uis change the subject.
          But "wrong" in what sense? If they were enjoying the comics without Hal and the Corps, in what sense were they wrong to want it to stay that way? Wrong for what you wanted, perhaps. Wrong for what I wanted (especially as concerns the Corps- much as I am glad Hal is back, I was fine with him being gone, too, especially after the character was so badly damaged). But to expect them to "admit" they were wrong about something if they WERE enjoying the comics sans Hal and Corps is absurd. Of course they wouldn't admit that, because they have nothing to admit in that case.

Or are you somehow forwarding the notion that anybody that likes the comics in any form other than whatever formula would sell the most copies is just wrong about their personal preferences? Because that strikes me as rather a silly view. People like what they like. If what they like doesn't sell, then I guess that kind of stinks for them in the long run, but that doesn't mean they "should" like the stuff that will sell.
          Mister Ed
          Horse of a Different Color
          Last edited by Mister Ed; 03-20-2014, 09:12 PM.

Comment

You can like something, but if it doesn't sell, and if it keeps other people from reading what they want to see, then how exactly are you "right?"

The fact is that most people whio go to message boards are cheerleaders who will vehemently support whatever the comics companies do. That's just stupid. And yes, it's wrong.

Comment

Well, if you are asserting that they are being dishonest about what they enjoy, then in that case (if that IS the case) I agree with you. But if they honestly like it, then no, I think you are being somewhat arrogant to brand their preferences as "wrong".

Ultimately the people who like what you consider to be the "wrong" things, aren't responsible for what is in the comic, unless they are writing it. And if their preferences are really so marginal that catering to them kills sales, then it is up to DC to cater to different preferences, isn't it? Not for the readers to CHANGE WHAT THEY LIKE. That's such an absurd notion that I can't help laughing at it. These readers liking the "wrong" things are not keeping anybody else from reading what they want to see, the folks making the comics are doing that.

Besides, if these people will really support whatever the comics companies do, then they cannot, by definition, be "the problem", since if that's really true, then they would ALSO support everything you dream of doing with the comic so long as the comic companies did it. The problem then, obviously, is not the readers, but the company.
              Mister Ed
              Horse of a Different Color
              Last edited by Mister Ed; 03-20-2014, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Let me make this clear, if I haven't already. I thought I had. I'm talking about people who will like and support whatever the comics companies do. Now, if the comics companies suddenly realize they've been wrong, and turn around and do what, for example, I want -- such as in bringing back Hal and the Corps -- then suddenly those fans in totally favor of it too, and there's no acknowledgement that they and the comics companies were ever wrong about it. It's just the same old arrogance. To most message board posters, the comics companies, like Comrade Napoleon, are always right.
                Trey Strain
                Guardian of the Universe
                Last edited by Trey Strain; 03-20-2014, 09:43 PM.

Comment

gonna get all the issues now so i can say i have it in my collection. So happy its done. Sinestro looks good though. Glad its replacing it. RL and NG idk if they should continue. RL i kinda like though

Comment

I said on the CBR boards that making Guy a Red Lantern was a colossally dumb-assed idea, and the great majority of posters flamed me for saying it. Well, I'm going to turn out to be right there, and what are the people who flamed me going to say? They won't say anything. They'll change the subject. And they'll go right on thinking that they have a clue, even though once again Comrade Napoleon was wrong.

Comment

Let me make this clear, if I haven't already. I'm talking about people who will like and support whatever the comics companies do. Now, if the comics companies suddenly realize they've been wrong, and turn around and do what I want -- such as in bringing back Hal and the Corps -- then suddenly those fans in favor of it too, and there's no acknowledgement that they and the comics companies were ever wrong about it. It's just the same old arrogance. The comics companies, like Comrade Napoleon, are always right.
                      Well, certainly I can get behind criticizing people that develop selective amnesia about what they have said in the past. And, like I said, I'm all for criticizing people if they are claiming preferences that they don't truly have just to go along with the crowd.

But if somebody actually liked comics without Hal and the Corps, then find that they like comics WITH Hal and the Corps, that doesn't make their old preference "wrong". People CAN change their minds about what they like, without somehow having to "admit" that what they liked before was "wrong".

Comment

...It's just the same old arrogance. To most message board posters, the comics companies, like Comrade Napoleon, are always right.
                        Well we must be the exception then because GLCMb has a reputation of being filled with nay sayers. Newbies mention it pretty frequently---that most posters seem unhappy with the current comics.

I haven't been on the DC boards since I joined here and never belonged to another comic mb, so I can't speak on those.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                          Well we must be the exception then because GLCMb has a reputation of being filled with nay sayers. Newbies mention it pretty frequently---that most posters seem unhappy with the current comics.

I haven't been on the DC boards since I joined here and never belonged to another comic mb, so I can't speak on those.
                          You're right. This place is an exception. People here can like a comic without being just flat-out stupid about supporting it when the writer or the editor screws up.

Comment

But at the same time...a lot of the people here were salivating over Johns' work until very recently.
                            The last fan of 1990s comics
                            Read my Green Lantern blog The Indigo Tribe

Comment

Originally posted by SD80MAC View Post
                              But at the same time...a lot of the people here were salivating over Johns' work until very recently.
                              And...?

Perhaps they liked it? Once again I'm hearing what sounds like the idea that people are liking the "wrong" thing. Sorry, but that doesn't wash.

Comment

Well I didn't suddenly stop liking the parts of Johns' GL run that I previously liked. He just started writing stories that I didn't like. I can go back and reread from Rebirth until around GL #40 and still gush about how much I love that part of his run. Some things the guy did are still and will probably always be dipped in gold for me.

It was Johns' writing that changed, not me.

Comment

Working...
                                X