Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Judge Dredd Thredd: Previews, Discussion, and Law (SPOILERS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The November issue of Diamond Previews, in the Rebellion/2000 AD listing (Comics & Graphic Novels section) has Judge Anderson: The Psi Files volume 3 trade paperback listed.

It's 304 pages for $32, softcover, partial color.

Naturally, 2000 AD January 2013 Pack and Judge Dredd Megazine #332 are also on sale in this Previews.
    Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

Two of the biggest characters in comic books duke it out in their own iconic cities - more than 20 years since it was first published, the epic Batman vs. Judge Dredd stories are still the most brutal crossovers in comics!

2000 AD is very proud to be working with DC Comics to co-publish the highly anticipated THE BATMAN JUDGE DREDD COLLECTION, which brings together the four team-ups between the Lawman of the Future and the Dark Knight for the first time in a brand new hardback edition, with a fantastic roster of superstar talent, including Simon Bisley and Glenn Fabry.

Originally released between 1991 and 1998, these epic crossovers - Judgment on Gotham, Vendetta in Gotham, The Ultimate Riddle, and Die Laughing - brought the dynamic duo together to fight their ultimate foes. From alien super-fiend Judge Death escaping to Gotham to the Joker teaming up with the Dark Judges to cause mass slaughter in Mega-City One, THE BATMAN JUDGE DREDD COLLECTION brilliantly captures the lunacy and non-stop action of these two all-too-similar worlds from either side of the Atlantic.

Judge Dredd co-creator John Wagner leads a pack of top names, including Alan Grant (Batman, Lobo), Simon Bisley (Hellblazer), Glenn Fabry (Preacher, Hellblazer), Val Semeiks (The Demon, Lobo), and Cam Kennedy (Batman, The Light and Darkness War) - all contained in a cover from Hellboy creator Mike Mignola.

Published by 2000 AD in the UK and Ireland, and by DC in North America, this ultimate new edition also includes the hard-to-find meeting between Dredd and psychotic biker Lobo, and deserves a place in the collection of any self-respecting Dredd or Batman fan.

Written by: John Wagner, Alan Grant
      Art by: Simon Bisley, Glenn Fabry, Val Semeiks, Cam Kennedy
      Published: 27 November 2012
      UK ISBN: 978-1-78108-078-8
      UK Price: £16.99
      North American ISBN: 978-1-4012-3676-2
      North American Price: $22.99 (US) $35 (Can)
      Diamond code: JUL120219
      Pages: 224

Comment

Fuck, I wish I'd heard of that earlier.

Gotta ask the store to order that for me now.

Comment

How are those stories?

Comment

Fuck if I know, but I love Batman and Dredd, so I'm basically required to pick it up.

$23 for a hardcover of that stuff? Sure, unless there's someone who's read them enough to dissuade me.

I'll tolerate the art plenty, so long as the writing is good, and since it's Wagner right there, the writing should be fine.

Comment

Issue #1's out tomorrow. Fuck yeah, son.

Comment

I don't think I'll pick this up till I see some reviews.

Comment

My review: it's like a blowjob for your eyes.

I didn't expect that the entire comic would be full-color, but am pleased with it. The first story is about a robot abandoning his sewage management post, which is a planted seed for forthcoming chapters. Right after that first bit, a shopping center is targeted by a gang of thieves, who manage to evade Dredd just long enough...to be killed in a pretty hilarious manner.

The backup story builds a bit on the opening scene of the first story, but is about a bunch of looters ransacking a store while the owner begs his robot to stop them (she refuses, revealing some pretty humiliating things about him). She then goads him into attacking one of the looters
                  , and the story wraps up with Dredd appearing.

There's extra art in the final page, which just has a whole bunch of the "Dredd kicking in your store's door" covers for a number of retails (door is the same, but different logo on it each cover). There's also a "bullet points" overview page of who Dredd is as a fictional character, series, satire, setting, whatnot.

Comment

I'm not so much concerned with plot details, how was the writing/art?

Comment

Originally posted by Hypo View Post
                      I'm not so much concerned with plot details, how was the writing/art?
                      In my opinion, Swierczynski is really making a name for himself as a "pulp" writer of licensed characters. His work with Godzilla is top notch, and I was impressed with the seemless way he "introduces" Judge Dredd to the IDW universe.

He quickly introduces and brings us up to speed with Mega City One, the problems of advance Robot Systems, and life in the future. He purposefully shows that as much advancements as can be made around us, humanity hasn't changed....which is why humanity must have Judges!

Two artists for two stories....I liked Nelson Daniel's art more than Paul Gulacy's, though I've never heard of or seen either of their work before. Art is subject to the eyes looking at it....for me, it wasn't great, but good enough not to interrupt my enjoyment of the story.

I'd consider this a "win" for IDW, and Judge Dredd.
                      “You were electrocuted by a Giant Moth. That kind of thing will scramble your brain right good." -- Boxer (in Godzilla #6)

Comment

Dude, I've just found what I want for christmas!
                        Originally posted by IonFan
                        (even if the ear sucking helped get me off faster)
                        Originally posted by Big Daddy Caesar
                        If I had things like the internet and a laptop as a kid, I never would have left my room as a teenager.
                        Originally posted by Quaker
                        I am the Geoff Johns of the GLCMB.

Comment

IDW & 2000 AD Set the Stage for JUDGE DREDD: YEAR ONE

Comment

IDW is offering The Complete Carlos Ezquerra, vol 1 for $50 in the current Previews catalog, in case anyone's interested.

Comment

Judge Dredd: Year One...

Looking forward to this from IDW. An original story from the early days of Judge Dredd. Buy it at your local comic book shop in March!!
                              “You were electrocuted by a Giant Moth. That kind of thing will scramble your brain right good." -- Boxer (in Godzilla #6)

Comment

I got Batman/Judge Dredd for christmas. Most likeley the most enjoyable graphic novel I've read in a while, and the artwork (especialy in judgement on gotham) is the best artwork I've seen in comicbooks in my life.

This Year One looks good, I might buy this.

Now they've done Year One, before long we'll se "Judge Dredd: The Dark Judge Retuerns.
                                Originally posted by IonFan
                                (even if the ear sucking helped get me off faster)
                                Originally posted by Big Daddy Caesar
                                If I had things like the internet and a laptop as a kid, I never would have left my room as a teenager.
                                Originally posted by Quaker
                                I am the Geoff Johns of the GLCMB.

Comment

Working...
                                X