The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Other Comics
FLASHCHAT

Miscellaneous GL Comics

Old 08-16-2010, 07:33 PM   #126
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

Eric Wallace talks TITANS

Quote:
CBR News: With your first major arc over and the second underway, what's it been like working on this title and spotlighting these new Villains for Hire?

Eric Wallace: Writing Deathstroke's villainous Titans is a blast. I've gotten to create some pretty intense scenes as well as explore some very dark psychological territory. I'm also enjoying spotlighting characters like the Tattooed Man, who previously hadn't had the chance to stand out in the DCU. Having said that, getting to work with characters like Roy, Cheshire and Deathstroke - three people who have so much history together - is fantastic. And yes, as a result of the ending of "Titans" issue #27, you can pretty much see that things are going to get much worse for them before they get better - especially for Roy.

When "Titans" launched following the "Villains for Hire" special, there was a lot of controversy over the events from that one-shot and the death of Ryan Choi. What was your mindset while writing during that time to now? Was that controversy on your mind or was it something where you didn't let it get to you because you knew the book wasn't about that?

I can tell you that my mindset and approach to the book is the same now as it was when I first started working on it. I just want to tell the best stories I can every month. It's that simple.

As for the controversy, the funny thing is that I wasn't even aware of it until one of my fellow DC writers pointed it out to me by saying, "Hey, did you know there's a contingent of Ryan Choi fans out there that are really angry with you?" I had no idea, because I was too busy working on upcoming issues to worry about what the reaction to that "Villains for Hire Special" might be. When I did find out about the various reactions, I was just relieved to hear that people had any opinion on the book, good or bad. Fan reactions and critical reviews - both positive and negative - are a part of the process. So, no, I didn't let it get to me.

You mention some of the characters you're getting to write in this book - Roy, Cheshire and Slade Wilson. Looking at that group of characters, does anyone stand out as your personal favorite?

That's a tough question, because I love all these characters for different reasons. I love the air of mystery that surrounds Deathstroke, but I love the honesty and conflicted nature in Mark, the Tattooed Man.

There's also a sadness at the core of Cinder that just breaks my heart; I really care about what she's been through and what's going to happen to her. Conversely, Cheshire's just cool and sexy as hell. And Osiris? Heh. I just love who this kid is becoming. Yes, his days of being pushed around are quickly coming to an end. As for Roy? I loved him as Red Arrow and now admit to a sadistic glee at getting him on the team at a time when he's also so wounded. Without a doubt, adding him to the "Titans" roster has given even more urgency and desperation to a team that's already overflowing with both.

What character would you say you were most worried about going into this book? That is, was there a character you weren't sure you had a complete grasp on at first but now get 100 percent?

I'll answer the second part of this question first by saying, even now, I don't get all of these characters 100 percent. I can't. If I do, that means they're not talking me, not keeping me on my toes, not surprising me by telling which direction they want a particular story to take. I believe that you can rarely - if ever - know a person 100 percent. The same applies for me in the writing process. I can never know everything about a character, because once I do, the process of discovery is over. The character becomes predictable, and in turn, so will the writing. Again, that's just my opinion, but it's how I approach the storytelling in "Titans." These characters keep me on my toes, and that's really exciting.

As for the first part of this question, I'd say the character I was most worried about was Osiris. Despite knowing who the character is, say, in "Power of Shazam" #48, I didn't really know who he was. By that, I mean that there's not twenty or thirty years of history for the character like there is for Roy or Slade. Even now, it's a scary prospect, because in a sense I'm really in undiscovered territory with Osiris. Again, that's part of the fun. Learning who Amon is and what drives him is the most frightening and rewarding part of this process, and digging deeply into his character has, I believe, already paid dividends from a storytelling aspect.

The current arc has introduced Roy Harper, also known as Arsenal, to the title. You hit on him a bit earlier, but what can you say about where the decision to add him to the roster came from?

The decision to add Roy to the team came from both from myself and the DC gang. Again, I love Roy as a character. From his troubled past as a drug addict to his rebirth as Red Arrow when he became a member of the JLA awhile back, Roy has always fascinated me. There's so much inside him that's yet to be explored. He's also a former Titan, so bringing him aboard this new team of villains is pretty explosive. For me, the most fascinating aspect of adding Roy to the roster has always centered around one simple question: Why would Roy join a team led by his greatest adversary? There are many potential answers to this question, but only one that feels honest and genuine to me. Readers get that answer immediately in "Titans" #26, as soon as Roy joins. I felt it was very important to get this reason out fast, because it informs a major part of the upcoming stories that this book will be telling.

Where is Roy's head at the moment? You've said before that the characters on this team are all people who make bad decisions for the right reasons. Do you believe Roy is in that mindset at the moment?

Roy's head is in an extremely bad place at the moment. To say he's already made some bad decisions is a huge understatement. But rejoining the Titans when they're led by Deathstroke? Come on. That's got to be one of the all-time worse decisions any superhero has ever made. And yes, Roy's going to pay for making such a bad call. The good news for readers is that bad decisions made for honest reasons make for great drama, and Roy is about to get involved in some very major drama.

Speaking of drama, with Roy on the team, one obviously has to address Cheshire. What's their relationship looking like these days? I assume not well, considering how badly their last encounter ended.

Without giving too much away, Cheshire is one of the major forces pushing Roy to join the Titans. Again, this gets addressed immediately in "Titans" #26 and #27. As for their relationship, it took a major hit with the death of their child, Lian, but it's also going to bring them together in one of the few upbeat storylines that occur during this initial batch of new "Titans" stories. Also, the rather awkward nature of their last encounter in the "Rise of Arsenal" miniseries gets addressed at the end of "Titans" #27. Initially, they're going to be in a positive place. But that's quickly going to go off the rails. I can't say exactly how, because I don't want to reveal any spoilers.

Looking ahead, October's issue seems really interesting as it involves the Villains for Hire heading into Arkham Asylum. What can you say about that storyline and what we'll be seeing?

Carnage, reunions and past sins: these are the three key elements of October's "Titans" #28 as well as the issues that immediately follow it. I say carnage because, let's face it, the Gotham Rogues Gallery vs. Deathstroke and the Titans? As far as I'm concerned, that's what quality comic book action is all about. Seriously, though, there's a theme that runs through this issue as well as the rest of the "Family Reunions" storyline, and it's about reconnecting. Reconnecting with loved ones from the past as well as those we've lost touch with in the immediate present. A lot of the overarching themes in these new "Titans" stories are about some facet of being in a family. Obviously, with an overall title like "Family Reunions," familial themes are tackled rather overtly, but that doesn't mean that there won't be a surprise or two hiding within the walls of Arkham.

From the cover alone, we see there will be some appearances by Batman mainstays. Can you talk about some of the Gotham villains you'll be employing in the arc? What about the Batman villains do you think makes them so popular?

Let's be honest. Batman has the coolest villains. Period. I believe this is one of the reasons why the character is so popular, because having great adversaries makes a hero all the more, well, heroic. As for which Gotham villains we'll be featuring, everyone on the cover of "Titans" #28 - Clayface, Mr. Freeze, Zsasz - joins in the fun. Look for Killer Croc - one of my all-time favorite Batman villains - to play a unique role in the ensuing battle. And there might be another well-known Gotham villain not pictured on the cover that also has a role in the carnage.

As for what makes the Gotham villains so popular, I think it's because each one of them is a metaphor for a specific emotion in the human palette, only taken to an ominous extreme. For example, the Joker is the fun, humorous side of us all. Life is funny and we all like to laugh. Only the Joker's whoopee cushion contains dynamite, so watch out. For me, a character like the Penguin represents greed, while Catwoman represents sexuality and the Riddler is a representation of human intellect, again, all in their darker forms. What this means is that all of the Gotham villains are weird and wild but always recognizably human. Yes, they take things to horrific extremes, but I know these characters because I see bits of them in both myself and those around me on an everyday basis. But then, maybe I live in a more bizarre world than most.

I also wanted to hit on Osiris. The solicit mentions tie-ins to "Brightest Day," and with the recent reveal of Osiris' mission, it certainly brings a whole new light to him being on the team. What can you say about what we can be expecting to see from the character in the coming months?

I wish I could tell you what we have planned for Osiris. It's pretty intense. But sorry, no spoilers. However, I can say that over the coming months, Osiris will fulfill his heart's greatest desire. And that will be the beginning of his downfall. As for writing him, Osiris is in the process of becoming a truly tragic figure, and that's really fun from a storytelling point-of-view. His journey is only just beginning, and how he deals with the revelations bestowed upon him by the White Lantern will change him - and the DCU - forever. So, yes, writing him is one of the most exciting parts of telling these new "Titans" stories.

As a final question, what can you say about what we'll be seeing beyond the Arkham story? Can you tease what's to come?

Next up, Deathstroke begins to keep the promises he used to seduce the new Titans team in the "Villains for Hire Special." Unfortunately, the Titans are about to learn that getting exactly what you want is sometimes the worst thing that can happen to you. Deathstroke is the ultimate chessmaster and he never does anything unless it's somehow to his advantage. We'll also find out who was screaming behind that door in "Titans" #24 and how they fit into Deathstroke's ultimate plan. And for the Ryan Choi fans out there - of which I'm one myself - Ryan's assassination has been a secret so far, but that's about to change. And yes, once the hero community finds out the truth, there will be a reckoning.

Last edited by W.West; 08-16-2010 at 07:36 PM.
W.West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:44 PM   #127
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I didn't hear about the killing of Ryan Choi until after the issue came out. I don't bother with the Titans end of the DCU very often so I didn't know. Apparently not many people in my town do either because they didn't order the oneshot for the shelf, just people's folders. I picked it up later when I was on vacation in Maine.

Gotta say, Choi dying...made me happy.

I don't think it's a referendum on minorities in comics. It's a referendum on needlessly replacing the classic versions of characters for no other reason than to appear diverse for PR reasons. Every time one of these minority replacement heroes bombs I smile. DC should learn to create NEW heroes with minority characters instead of replacing the existing ones. Hopefully the Question will be next because I'd love Vic Sage back.

As for the issue itself, it was ok. Nothing that gets me to want to read Titans again, but it wasn't a waste of money. The highlight was the use of a matchstick box.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:52 PM   #128
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Cormier View Post
the Question will be next because I'd love Vic Sage back.
Watch your mouth! Renee was created outside of comics and then fully developed later. She wasn't created to replace Sage but that's eventually where they put her. And she's been nothing short of great in that role too. Renee Montoya is one of the fully developed characters in the entire DCU.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:36 PM   #129
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

Quote:
Speaking of drama, with Roy on the team, one obviously has to address Cheshire. What's their relationship looking like these days? I assume not well, considering how badly their last encounter ended.

Without giving too much away, Cheshire is one of the major forces pushing Roy to join the Titans. Again, this gets addressed immediately in "Titans" #26 and #27. As for their relationship, it took a major hit with the death of their child, Lian, but it's also going to bring them together in one of the few upbeat storylines
Upbeat storylines? After the double trainwreck that was Cry for Justice and Rise of Arsenal? This doesn't sound like a good idea.

And yes, I agree that needlessly replacing superheroes with new unknown characters has gotten out of hand. But that still doesn't justify killing them off when the original hero returns. How many stories can you tell with a dead Ryan Choi? And how many stories can you tell with a living Ryan Choi, regardless of what his nom-de-guerre might be?

Killing off characters is never a good idea, regardless of how useless or redundant they might seem. But killing off a minority like Ryan is a powder keg on top of a bad idea. Call him anything else size-related, call him whatever the Chinese word for "Atom" is or just refer to him by his civilian name.

But don't kill him off.
Michael Heide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:23 AM   #130
Doc2814
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Doc2814

Anyone find any information on just where this book went? I havent been able to find delays/cancellations/ending?
Doc2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:26 AM   #131
GreenLantern888
Alpha-Lantern

Send a message via AIM to GreenLantern888 Send a message via MSN to GreenLantern888 Send a message via Yahoo to GreenLantern888 Send a message via Skype™ to GreenLantern888

I think it came out a few weeks ago or so.

Villain Draft (Best Team Winner)/Proud Supporter of the DCnU
GreenLantern888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:41 PM   #132
W.West

Definitely still shipping on time...
Old 10-27-2010, 01:34 PM   #133
Doc2814
Banned

Hmm, my LCS sucks.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:39 AM   #134
Fearless
Agent Orange

Indubitably.
Fearless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:15 AM   #135
Doc2814
Banned

So the latest endeavor isnt bad. Batman co-stars. I hate that he says "Damian" as opposed to "Robin" but hey, why even keep the ruse going? Slade knows.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:21 PM   #136
W.West

Titans #33 PREVIEW
Writer: Eric Wallace
Artist: Fabrizio Fiorentino

Quote:

With the upcoming “Broken Promises” storyline, the TITANS are about to experience a time of change, and surprisingly the biggest change is coming to its leader Slade Wilson, a.k.a. Deathstroke. With some insight into Slade and the TITANS’ transformation, is series writer Eric Wallace.

“Titans #33 kicks off a new 4-part story called “Broken Promises,” and it’s a plotline that’s going to change Deathstroke’s team forever. But even more important is how it changes Deathstroke himself. Slade’s been pretty cold-hearted up to now in running these new Titans. That’s because he has an uber-mission to complete, one that’s only been hinted at up to now. Well, the endgame of that plan is finally revealed in “Broken Promises.” But it’s not just Slade’s present that gets illuminated. It’s his past, too. One of the things the entire creative team wanted to do with “Broken Promises” was to really dig deeply into how and why Slade became the man he is today. The shattered oath referred to in this arc’s title is one of those key moments that ended up defining Slade. Whether that change turned out to be for better or worse will be up to the readers to decide!

“Broken Promises” also refers to the various oaths that Slade made to his Titans. This includes getting rid of a new villain, Drago, for Cheshire. This is something Slade promised to do for her back in the “Titans: Villains For Hire Special #1.” Well, we finally get to meet Drago in Titans #33. But as it turns out, getting rid of him is going to be a lot harder than Slade expects. Plus there’s the fact that Cheshire’s still really, really angry about getting shot back in Titans #25. Needless to say, she’s going to break a promise, too, and the result is a very bad day for Deathstroke.

There are a few other big surprises coming throughout the “Broken Promises” storyline, which runs through Titans #36. One of these includes how Osiris deals with his sister Isis’s resurrection. We’ll also see the return of a former Titan in an unexpected battle with one of my favorite members of the JLA, Vixen.”
Old 03-07-2011, 10:25 PM   #137
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

I still don't get how losing your daughter turns you from this:

into this:
Old 03-07-2011, 10:52 PM   #138
Fearless
Agent Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Heide View Post
I still don't get how losing your daughter turns you from this:

Actually, I'm pretty sure Roy was taken more seriously before losing Lian. And had a different costume. And a new name.
Fearless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 05:14 PM   #139
W.West

Eric Wallace on “The Methuselah Imperative” - TITANS’ next exciting storyline

Quote:
This July, a new storyline kicks of in the TITANS ANNUAL #1 and continues into the regular TITANS series. (Those are the covers to the Annual and issue #37 by Fabrizio Fiorentino above!)

Why should Titans fans be excited about “The Methuselah Imperative”? Writer Eric Wallace explains why:

First of all, this is our biggest story yet since Deathstroke took over the team. Some of the action in the TITANS ANNUAL (part one of “The Methuselah Imperative”) is pretty intense. Readers are going to love when they see what artist Cliff Richards has accomplished. The only way to describe it is “epic.” It’s exactly why we all love it when big superhero teams like the JLA meet up with a group of nasty villains like our current roster of Titans. You just know carnage will ensue.

But “The Methuselah Imperative” isn’t just one massive slugfest. What I love most about this storyline is that the emotional stakes for the characters—both heroes and villains—is just as big and epic as the action surrounding it. This is especially true for Ray Palmer, who finally catches up with Deathstroke to arrest him for the murder of Ryan Choi. Now Ray’s been on this quest for a long time, so he’s chomping at the bit to bring Slade down. Needless to say some major baggage is going to get jettisoned the hard way.

Also, Ray’s not the only character whose emotional journey comes to a peak during this storyline. There’s also Roy (Arsenal). Ever since the death of Lian, he’s been on a downward spiral. His friend Dick (Batman) is determined to pull him back into the light. Roy has resisted this up until now, but that’s going to change when the two former teammates go head-to-head in one brutal, grisly battle. This leads Roy asks some tough questions about what it means to be a hero and whether or not he can ever become one again. I won’t tell you what his answer is, but I will say that it changes the future of the Titans irrevocably.

Parts two and three of “The Methuselah Imperative” (TITANS #37 & #38) continues the story of Deathstroke’s master plan coming to final fruition. As you can see from the cover of TITANS #37, Jericho’s back and I couldn’t be happier. Not only is this something Deathstroke has been engineering since Day One, it’s also something I pitched to DC way back when we were creating this new direction for the Titans. I’ve always loved the character of Jericho and wanted to see another “classic” member of the Titans back on the team, but not necessarily one of the characters you might expect. At the same time, I didn’t want him to just show up. I wanted his return to be special. So in addition to his return to the Titans fold, we’ll also learn where he’s been, what he’s been up to, and how rejoining the Titans again just might end up saving his soul.

In addition to all this, there are also some big surprises for Marvel Family fans in “The Methuselah Imperative.” Osiris, whose primary obsession now is to bring back Black Adam, will see his relationship with Isis change. This is because they’ve returned to Kahndaq and now must somehow find a way to rule their kingdom together. And yes, it’s going to be a very rocky journey. Oh, and you might have also noticed Marvel Family villain Dr. Sivana on the cover of TITANS #37. How he’s mixed up in all of this, including Jericho’s return, is pretty wild. Let’s just say we’ll once again see Sivana putting the “mad” in “mad scientist” to full effect, and leave it at that.

As for Deathstroke and where he ends up at the end of “The Methuselah Imperative,” he’ll have gone through hell and back by that point. Therefore, he’s going to be ready for changes in his life. Massive changes, I might add. Stay tuned.
Titans Annual #1 by Fabrizio Fiorentino

Titans #37 Cover by Fabrizio Fiorentino

Old 04-07-2011, 05:51 PM   #140
Old School
Guardian of the Universe

Send a message via AIM to Old School

dropped the series months ago, might just have to check out the annual and the jericho appearance though
Old 04-08-2011, 12:36 AM   #141
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Has this found a direction yet?
Hypo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:39 AM   #142
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.West View Post
Titans #37 Cover by Fabrizio Fiorentino

Jericho, Dr. Sivana, Deathstroke, Mad Hatter and Luchadore Dr. Strange?
Old 04-08-2011, 01:23 AM   #143
Old School
Guardian of the Universe

Send a message via AIM to Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypotherion View Post
Has this found a direction yet?

as of now in my opinion no