The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Other Comics
FLASHCHAT

Miscellaneous GL Comics

Old 06-01-2010, 03:47 PM   #1
Quaker
Leader of the Resistance

Send a message via Skype™ to Quaker
Default Teen Titans

Writer J.T. KRUL To Take Over TEEN TITANS in Late 2010

Quote:
When Dan DiDio told Newsarama readers last year that J.T. Krul was the "up-and-coming writer" that fans should watch, he wasn't kidding.

After orchestrating DC's current Green Arrow event, Krul is next turning his attention to Teen Titans. Beginning in late 2010, Krul will take over the title, hoping to do "what any writer tries to do tell great stories," he said.

"Specifically, I want to focus on the bond between the Titans," Krul told Newsarama. "They've been through a lot over the years, and while they have their friction, they are a family. Beyond that, I want to build up the team through the threats they face, amping up the threats in terms of some new villains."

Although he's bringing in new villains, Krul said he recognizes that the team itself has been a little unstable lately, and he's hoping to remedy that. After all, the roster hasn't stayed the same for very long since the title was launched in 2003, and lost several of its well-known heavy hitters when Superboy and Kid Flash died, then Robin left the team last year.

"Initially, it's about stabilizing the team who they are, what they are doing, and identifying the role they play in the broader sense of the DCU," Krul explained. "For me, the Teen Titans are not so much a training ground for newbie heroes, but a beacon for them and for all teenagers in a way. There are so many wrong paths to take and the Teen Titans serve as an example of those trying their best to take the right path no matter how difficult it may prove to be."

Krul said the team will also be tying into the larger picture of the DCU soon after he takes over the series later this year. "All I will say is that they will cross paths with the Bat world very quickly," he said.

Teen Titans, which was relaunched in 2003 by writer Geoff Johns, has been penned by several writers since Johns left the title in 2007. Currently, the title is written by Felicia D. Henderson of Fringe and Gossip Girl fame, who started on the title late last year.

But Krul is among those writers who have filled in on Teen Titans. In fact, Titans fans have been reading Krul's work off and on over the last year, both in the Blackest Night: Titans mini-series last year and in several issues of Titans and Teen Titans.

"This is a dream project," Krul said. "Ever since I was given the opportunity to work on Blackest Night: Titans, I've wanted a chance to work on the main book. I think the Teen Titans ranks up there with the X-Men as one of the premiere team books throughout the years especially given the teen atmosphere of the book as these characters work to find their place in the world beyond the shadow of their older counterparts. You can never repeat the lightning in a bottle that was the Wolfman/Perez run, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to try."
Old 06-01-2010, 03:50 PM   #2
Marvelous Iggy
God Of Turtles

Send a message via Skype™ to Marvelous Iggy

While I do think his recent stories on the Green Arrow books have been sub par. I did enjoy his take on the Teen Titans during the Blackest Night. So maybe he will bring something good to the title again
Marvelous Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 03:54 PM   #3
Quaker
Leader of the Resistance

I think the problem with his Green Arrow stuff is the fallout from CFJ and editorial mandate. He had to make Roy Harper a villain and he had to make Ollie turn into the version from The Longbow Hunters.

I did like his BN: Titans mini so I do think he has the ability to do a good job on the book.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:01 PM   #4
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

He has no excuses for this not to work. But if they just throw crossovers with this book (especially the unnecessary and inevitable Red Robin tie-in)then it will fail.

For the most part I like Jose Louis on the book, but I think he's either simplistic in panel design or Felicia Henderson is simplistic with her direction. Either way, I still think this book deserves a better artist, even if its not a higher profile artist.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:14 PM   #5
Lantern A-train
Guardian of the Universe

Hopefull this can make this title goo again cause honestly it has been pretty shitty for a while now which saddens me cause I love the Teen Titans.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:21 PM   #6
Quaker
Leader of the Resistance

Quote:
“To say I am thrilled to be writing Teen Titans would be the ultimate understatement. They are one of the premiere teams in all of comics and have a rich pedigree of incredible stories by amazing creators. To be able to add to that heritage is an honor in every respect. Although I’ve written this family of characters before, the Teen Titans were either dealing the horrors of dead friends and foes coming back to haunt them, coping with dissolving team ranks, or suffering from the utter despair over losing limbs and loved ones. I’m eager to get the chance to tell brighter stories that build the team up stronger than ever - Titans Together!”
- J.T. Krul from The Source
Old 06-01-2010, 05:38 PM   #7
Old School
Guardian of the Universe

Send a message via AIM to Old School

bout time they offically announced it. loved his work on blackest night titans, I think he has a strong grasp on the characters, + he's a great guy so after not reading this title in about 2 years. I'm back on once he takes over
Old 06-01-2010, 06:41 PM   #8
Black Manta
Senior Corps Member

Send a message via AIM to Black Manta Send a message via MSN to Black Manta

only read his Tempest issue, for obvious reasons... I need more info on what members are on the team and who's going to be the artist, for me to jump back onto TT.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:48 PM   #9
Old School
Guardian of the Universe

Send a message via AIM to Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Manta View Post
only read his Tempest issue, for obvious reasons... I need more info on what members are on the team and who's going to be the artist, for me to jump back onto TT.

well for now just keep my status as your status on facebook
Old 06-01-2010, 06:55 PM   #10
Black Manta
Senior Corps Member

Send a message via AIM to Black Manta Send a message via MSN to Black Manta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School View Post
well for now just keep my status as your status on facebook
Old 06-01-2010, 07:50 PM   #11
ComicGeek
Corps Honor Guard

Terrible news. I hate what he's done with Ollie.
Don't think this kind of pain will ever heal
I gave to you my life and love for years
Look deep in my eyes, my pain do you feel
All I ever wanted was to be loved
Waiting on dad to take me up above"
ComicGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 03:46 AM   #12
FrEaKjOkErXXX
Torch Bearer

Sounds good. It's better than the chick that writes it now.
FrEaKjOkErXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 03:47 AM   #13
Marvelous Iggy
God Of Turtles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicGeek View Post
Terrible news. I hate what he's done with Ollie.
But Ollie is not a Teen Titan.................................
Old 06-02-2010, 04:08 AM   #14
FrEaKjOkErXXX
Torch Bearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by irongreen2814 View Post
But Ollie is not a Teen Titan.................................
Exactly. You can't just judge a writer because of the direction for one of his books. I'm sure a lot of the Fall of Green Arrow was editorial. With Teen Titans he should get free reign since the sales are in the toilet and anything can be better than whats there now.
FrEaKjOkErXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 03:08 AM   #15
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

I'm waiting for a good ceative team before I jump back into the Teen Titans. And a good roster that's not a Junior Justice League or a rehash of the Wolfman/Perez era.

But if the art is gonna be crap then I won't stay longer than three issues either way.

~KL~
Old 06-05-2010, 03:09 AM   #16
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

JT Krul takes over TEEN TITANS

Quote:
If you are a fan of Teen Titans and Titans, then you are probably familiar with J.T. Krul's writing. It seems he is everywhere, splitting his time between Aspen's Soulfire as well as his creator owned title, Mindfield, who's first issue is set to hit store shelves on June 16th. However, that's not all! J.T. has also been re-working Green Arrow and fitting him into the DCU. Yet, it looks like all these books are not enough for J.T., who as of Wednesday revealed on the DC Source blog that he would be taking over the Teen Titans series later this year. We caught up with J.T. to discuss the exciting news and to find out what we can expect with his takeover of the series!

CV: After your work on Blackest Night: Teen Titans, did you anticipate that you would take over the series for the long term?
JT: Whenever I write any book, there is always a desire to stick with characters for a long haul - have the chance to build some great stories from the ground up. It wasn't anticipated, but I was hopeful that if I did well with the BN:Titans story that it might make a case for getting more Titans work. Getting to tackle the main book is pure awesomeness.

CV: What is it like writing a book like Teen Titans? You have some experience with Soulfire (Aspen team book) but is this more difficult? Is it easier?
JT: It's funny you mention Soulfire because I often liken that book to Teen Titans, especially with regard to the current volume. Both feature younger teen characters thrust into danger and adventure. It terms of ease or difficulty, the challenge really comes in making sure each member gets their time in the limelight. As stories come and go, it's easy for certain characters to get lost in the shuffle. To be honest, it was more of a challenge with Fathom because I was focusing on a host of characters in different locales. At least with Teen Titans, they are located in the same building - or rather tower.

CV: Will you be changing the team line-up? If so, who can we expect to see in the upcoming team book?
JT: I can't say much about the line-up except that there will be a bit of a change. But my plan is to stabilize the roster so that what you see in my first issue will still be the team twenty issues later. That's not to say other Titans won't come into stories because there is a great library of titans in the DCU - but I want the core to remain intact.

CV: What kind of stories are you looking to tell? Anything you can reveal? What can fans anticipate?
JT: Can't say much right now. But, first and foremost, my goal is to tell great, entertaining stories that really put the Teen Titans in the spotlight. I want to focus on the special bond that titans have - their strong sense of family.

CV: Who is your favorite Teen Titan character to write and why?
JT: That's a tough one to answer. I'll give you a few, that do not relate to the ones I'll be writing on Teen Titans. Contrary to the events unfolding in the Rise of Arsenal, Roy Harper is one of my all-time favorites. Right now, he's struggling and if you think it's hard to read, it's even harder to write. He's devastated by all that he's lost and it shows in each and every page. At it's core, the story is about loss. Ravager is also a personal favorite on mine - her struggle to overcome her dark past and violent nature. She doesn't make apologies and doesn't want pity. And while she would be the last to admit it, she desperately needs a family - one that isn't comprised of villains and head cases. Also, I really got into writing Beast Boy in BN:Titans. He's a romantic at heart, but has always seemed to fall to for the girls with the most baggage. Don't get me wrong, I love Raven, but she comes with an entire warehouse of baggage.

CV: Will we see the return of classic Teen Titan villains, or anyone new? Are there any non-Titans villains you would like to see face off against the TT?
JT: In a word - both. As for non-Titan villains, I have ideas, but we'll have to see how they play out. Safe to say, the Teen Titans are going to have their hands full.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:20 PM   #17
W.West

Nicola Scott joins JT Krul on TEEN TITANS

Quote:
Not long ago, we announced that GREEN ARROW writer J.T. Krul would be adding DC’s top teen team to his resume and taking over as the ongoing writer of TEEN TITANS, starting with October’s #88. But who’s handling the art side?

None other than Nicola Scott, who’s built up a long list of credits at DC, including SECRET SIX, BLACKEST NIGHT: WONDER WOMAN and the main WONDER WOMAN title. Scott and Krul will join forces to usher in a new era for the teen series, featuring some familiar faces and a few surprises.

Before we touch base with Nicola, let’s get some background from J.T. Take it away, sir:

“When Rachel Gluckstern and I started formulating a plan for Teen Titans and the discussion turned to artists, Nicola Scott was at the top of both our lists. No joke. I had marveled at her work in the past on Birds Of Prey and Secret Six, but it was her work on Blackest Night: Wonder Woman and Wonder Woman that really catapulted her to the top of what I must say is an incredible heap of talented artists at DC. She just gets it. Character. Emotion. Action. Nicola is what I like to call a TP - total package. Having her usher in a new age of Teen Titans is going to be something special. And this cover to our first issue is the tip of the iceberg - trust me. Oh, and wait until you see her take on Damian. That’s right, I said it. What would Teen Titans be without a Robin.”

That’s right, folks. Damian. More on that later. What say you, Nicola?

“Teen Titans has been one of the titles at DC that I’ve wanted to draw since deciding to work in comics. I became aware of the title when Wolfman and Perez made their ground breaking 80’s run and I’ve loved pretty near every incarnation since.

When Rachel approached me about the title, told me JT was writing and who was on the team, I was sold! JT’s nailed it: Character, tone, direction. He has blown me away. We’re just wrapping up the first (bumper sized) issue and I couldn’t be happier with how it’s turning out. And, lucky me, I was able to bring Doug Hazlewood (inker) and Jason Wright (colorist) along for the ride.

I love each of these characters, JT has them note perfect and I’m having a blast! This is the Teen Titans as they should be.”

TEEN TITANS #88 hits in October. Oh, and speaking of Damian…
Old 07-14-2010, 08:23 PM   #18
Shingo Wol

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Keep that Robin Wannabe away from ma Teen Titans!!!!
Old 07-14-2010, 08:36 PM   #19
W.West

I hope this isn't a regular thing. The guy is unstable and more importantly...TEN YEARS OLD.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:05 PM   #20
Shingo Wol

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.West View Post
I hope this isn't a regular thing. The guy is unstable and more importantly...TEN YEARS OLD.
YES.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:58 AM   #21
Gray Lantern
Senior Corps Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.West View Post
The guy is unstable and more importantly...TEN YEARS OLD.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingo Wol View Post
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Keep that Robin Wannabe away from ma Teen Titans!!!!
Not this.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:06 AM   #22
Marvelous Iggy
God Of Turtles

Teen Titans added to pull list
Old 07-15-2010, 01:06 AM   #23
Shingo Wol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Lantern View Post

Not this.
Why not?
Old 07-15-2010, 01:09 AM   #24
Marvelous Iggy
God Of Turtles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingo Wol View Post
Why not?
I think your overreacting Shingo.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:50 AM   #25
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

The team still needs a member or two, but not Damien. This is going on the pull list.

What this has got on it's side so far is that the team is 5/8ths of Geoff's original team with Ravager thrown back in again. I'd really like to see an original character come into the team. We'll most likely see the new Aqualad in the future....

~KL~

Last edited by Ωmega Man; 07-16-2010 at 04:55 AM.
Ωmega Man is offline   Reply With Quote