This Forum Needs Love

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Forum Needs Love

And I don't mean from a Star Sapphire or any other stupidly conceptualized Lantern offshoot.

Since I don't want to make a half dozen topics over night, I'll just ask a few questions/opinions and such about things involving Alan Scott.

1.) What introduced you to Alan Scott?

2.) What are your favorite eras/stories that featured Alan?

3.) Do you think Alan could kick Hal's ass?

4.) Are you looking forward to whatever is being planned with the reintroduction of the JSA post-Rebirth?

5.) What's your opinion on Jade and Obsidian (Alan's children pre-New52)?

My answers:

1.) I had heard from older people in my family they remembered a superhero called 'Green Lantern' who wore a cape way back in the day. They even mentioned how they didn't think he actually wore much green. During the chaotic time before the internet my first clear idea of the legend of Alan came in the form of a DC trading card. I was hooked after that.

2.) I didn't get much of the Golden Age stuff until much later, but around the 4th grade when I really got into comics I saw how awesome he was after being made young again during Zero Hour. I collected nearly everything I saw him in after that, anything featuring the JSA to Kyle's GL run.

3.) I think Alan could kick Superman's ass even if he had to [especially with his energy being tied more to magic]. Anything Hal can do, Alan can do better.

4.) 1000xYES!

5.) Loved both of these characters and I'm psyched Obsidian is showing up on Legends of Tomorrow this season with other members of the JSA. While I preferred Kyle with Donna, I enjoyed his time with Jade and later collected her appearances in the Outsiders as well as some back issues of Infinity Inc.

So... Alan fans. Where in the hell are you hiding?

~M~

Don't remember for sure but definitely through Hal's run; either in Silver Age back issues when he crossed over or his appearances in vol. 3.

Hmm. Don't have them to the same extent as Hal. I like his interactions with Jade. His original origin was pretty cool. Kingdom Come is probably my favorite iteration.

Depends on which Scott (original, Sentinel, Kingdom Come) and which Hal (rookie, Silver Age, depowered, old, Parallax, Renegade). In general, I'd say they're pretty even. Scott would have experience, but Hal might have a little more ingenuity and tenacity.

4.) Are you looking forward to whatever is being planned with the reintroduction of the JSA post-Rebirth?

Cautiously optimistic.

Miss them; but mostly Jade, who was my favorite Kyle girlfriend. Their elimination was actually my biggest gripe with the Earth 2 reboot.

Comment

I got my real introduction to Alan Scott via Roy Thomas' All Star Squadron #20. I had just started collecting GL during Englehart/Staton/Patterson's run and was looking for information about how the mythos worked. I knew there was another GL with blonde hair and a cape and came across this gem in the back issue box. I was 11 at the time, and this issue also put me on the track to the JSA being my all time favorite team of super heroes...I mean mystery men.

Roy Thomas' stuff, the JLA/JSA teamups, the now fully collected run of All-Star Comics #3-57 in archive format. Pretty much everything from ASC #3 to the Last Days Of The Justice Society special.

With rings? Hell no. Without rings? I think young Alan would win in a scrap.

No, I am genuinely afraid that it is going to suck, and make too many changes to the JSA mythos. I worry we'll get more hot garbage like this:

I liked them! I like both pre and post Crisis versions of the characters. Too bad DC did away with them.

Comment

Originally posted by -M- View Post
        And I don't mean from a Star Sapphire or any other stupidly conceptualized Lantern offshoot.

Since I don't want to make a half dozen topics over night, I'll just ask a few questions/opinions and such about things involving Alan Scott.

The JLA/JSA crossovers and that issue of GL/GA where Hal and Alan discover the nature of the Star heart

2.) What are your favorite eras/stories that featured Alan? Too many to count, the beforementioned JLA/JSA crossovers, the All Star Squadron/Infinity Inc era, and the modern era John's helmed JSA issues.

3.) Do you think Alan could kick Hal's ass? We are talking two of my three favorite DC characters of all time so it depends on the version of Alan and the version of Hal but even then, 50% of the time.

4.) Are you looking forward to whatever is being planned with the reintroduction of the JSA post-Rebirth? Very much so

5.) What's your opinion on Jade and Obsidian (Alan's children pre-New52)? The only thing I didn't like about most of the Geoff run JSA era was that it got rid of Jade and Obsidian, I would like an amalgamation of both those versions.

So... Alan fans. Where in the hell are you hiding?
        ~M~
        As for where the Alan fans are hiding? We are waiting for the real Alan to return, Earth 2 was never my Alan so I never really gravitated towards it, like I have every other JSA related vehicle. If they bring back the real Alan Scott and the real JSA, I KNOW my excitement will rise and have no doubt others will as well.

Comment

Not sure, Zero Hour or some other 90s crossover probably.

I liked him in Infinite Crisis and leading Checkmate after that.

Eh, maybe. I don't think Hal would win 10/10, but Alan is no slouch.

Sure, I like there being an older stable of heroes that practice what they preach and keep other heroes in line.

Nothing negative, I don't know much of either except for Infinite Crisis and tie ins.

These probably weren't helpful or anything, but I agreed, the forum needed some love

Comment

They changed the character out of recognition (in the interest of political correctness) and then expected the fans to still care about him. Wasn't gonna happen.

Comment

Eh, it wasn't even close to the character we'd been seeing the last few decades. Hopefully when we get some form of JSA they correct some mistakes... if anybody on the classic JSA was gay it was totally Dr. Mid-Nite LOL

~//V\\~

Comment

Originally posted by -//V\\- View Post
                Eh, it wasn't even close to the character we'd been seeing the last few decades. Hopefully when we get some form of JSA they correct some mistakes... if anybody on the classic JSA was gay it was totally Dr. Mid-Nite LOL

~//V\\~
                Now that I can get behind because I can't recall any romantic entanglements for him.

Comment

He had his blonde secretary that tagged along with him. Kind of his Margo Lane.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I View Post
                    He had his blonde secretary that tagged along with him. Kind of his Margo Lane.
                    It's too early in the am for me to remember or to Google it... Margo Lane... was she from the Shadow of the Phantom?

EDIT: Nevermind, had to Google it. Was the Shadow LOL

Googling the original Mid-Nite, his assistant was a nurse named Myra Mason. She eventually moved on and filled a similar role for Space Ranger. She only appeared in a total of 52 issues, whereas Mid-Nite [McNider] has appeared in a total of 491 issues [8 issues more than the current Mid-Nite Pieter Cross].

McNider still could've been gay if that chick was only ever around 10% of the time. He just wasn't high profile enough for them to make a big deal about it for Earth 2 like they did for Alan. Sometimes it makes more sense for a certain character to potentially be gay than for the writers to just make a high profile character gay out of nowhere. I still say of the original five X-Men, Beast would've been the gay one since I can't think of a single relationship he's been in that's mattered aside from the woman he dated who worked for that Two-Face knockoff [and I only know about that from the Spiderman/X-Men TAS in the 90's crossing over]. It would've added something more to Beast's character, because his relationship/sexuality status was NEVER relevant aside from that one story. Iceman on the other hand had been in long term relationships with Polaris, Shadowcat, Rogue, etc...

~//V\\~

Comment

I still say of the original five X-Men, Beast would've been the gay one since I can't think of a single relationship he's been in that's mattered aside from the woman he dated who worked for that Two-Face knockoff [and I only know about that from the Spiderman/X-Men TAS in the 90's crossing over]. It would've added something more to Beast's character, because his relationship/sexuality status was NEVER relevant aside from that one story. ...
                      I guess his boyfriends would be furry chasers?

Comment

Or 'blue boys'. Look at how many of the people in the X universe are blue. Beast, Nightcrawler, Mystique, Archangel, etc...

~//V\\~

Comment

Googling the original Mid-Nite, his assistant was a nurse named Myra Mason. She eventually moved on and filled a similar role for Space Ranger. She only appeared in a total of 52 issues, whereas Mid-Nite [McNider] has appeared in a total of 491 issues [8 issues more than the current Mid-Nite Pieter Cross].

McNider still could've been gay if that chick was only ever around 10% of the time. He just wasn't high profile enough for them to make a big deal about it for Earth 2 like they did for Alan. Sometimes it makes more sense for a certain character to potentially be gay than for the writers to just make a high profile character gay out of nowhere. ~//V\\~
                          Ugh. No, just...no. How about none of them get retconned into being gay? It's just sad pandering. Move forward and make new characters gay.

Or Batman. If DC REALLY wants to show some balls, they should make Batman gay as it's so obvious.

Comment

So rather than turn a fairly minor character in the grand scheme of things gay the 10% of the time it matters on panel, you'd rather them create a brand new gay character and shoehorn THEM into a Justice Society title and take time from the established members of decades past? You'd rather get the dash of hot garbage than just a little bit of gayness with one character? I'd imagine a gay McNider on a more classic JSA would be better than having somebody like a remade gay Jakeem Thunder in the 1950's as the son of Johnny Thunder during a time when blacks had no rights let alone gays.

If somebody HAS to take one for the team, it might as well be the blind guy with virtually no relationship status. Offhand I could tell you the names of both Jay Garrick and Alan Scott's wives/love interests. McNiders? Not even close.... Hell you couldn't even remember her name!

~//V\\~

Comment

I can picture a blind McNider overhearing Alan Scott's costume details.

"I'm blind and I know a purple cape looks horrible..."

I can totally see Tim Gunn as McNider now.

~//V\\~

Comment

Working...
                              X