The Star Wars Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Booster Beetle View Post
    At least Fant4Stic didn't have on of the greatest characters in cinema history get killed like a bitch by a bitch.............
    Be glad you got Han as long as you did since he wanted out after empire.

Comment

• Yo.

Tazer

Originally posted by Andrew NDB
      Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.

Comment

• Originally posted by MP-05 View Post
        Life is an irony.....I actually just saw the movie. Myself, the dog, AND NO QUESTIONS ASKED.

So, here are my initial thoughts hot off the press [BEGIN SPOILERS]

• Do you mean to tell me that in Ben Solo's entire life, no one told him his grandfather died a hero, or how he saved the galaxy, or who he was as Anakin Skywalker? 4 RLZ?
        • Where were the new iconic music pieces to accompany each character? Was Williams even playing music?
        • The film lacked color. By that, I mean the locations, backgrounds, and even Star Killer base were bland and uneventful.
        • Say what you will about the Prequels (never had issue with them here), each location and place had its own flavor and quality that stuck with the movies. That is totally missing in this movie. Prequel WIN.
        • The lightsaber duels were FAIL. MAJOR FAIL. First, you have this kid who has been training with Luke for a good portion of his life, and he's swinging his lightsaber around like a 50 pound baseball bat. I will cut Rey some slack since she is all of five minutes new to the game. Prequel WIN.
        • The hype that has built up for this movie since it was announced overshadows its actual quality.
        • Whether it was Disney or Lucas' decision to get Lucas out of the picture, it was actually a blessing in disguise. Disney FAIL.
        • Captain Phasma? Where was she? She was the new character I wanted to know about MOST, and she got hustled by 2 guys, a Wookie, and a pizza place. Phasma FAIL.
        • Kylo Ren: Makes his grandfather look excellent in the prequels. Someone pull the car over and give that whiny bitch a beating. Anakin WIN.
        • Way too many similarities to ANH. Story FAIL.
        • It just didn't *feel* like Star Wars to me. A decent sic fi flick? Maybe. FEELS FAIL.

But on the more positive side of things,
        • Rey was a kick-ass character. I will continue to see the newer movies to track her development. Hopefully, the quality of future movies will be much better. REY WIN.
        • Han, Rey, and Finn had a good dialogue going. Good to see Han could still be a smart mouth with the best of them. Dialogue WIN.
        • Sucked to see Han go out the way he did, but as Yoda once said, "death is a part of life." Glad Chewie shot the shit out of Ren. Han WIN.
        • I have no doubt that this movie is the start of a bigger and better story, but man, what rocky way to start. Hopefully a Future WIN.
        • Spock Prime's cameo was awesome. SPOCK WIN.

[END SPOILERS]

So, in closing I have these few quips: The OT and PT will always be a concrete foundation for me, and that's what I will remember best about Star Wars. The good times. I am still enamored with the universe, and absolutely love Star Wars Rebels, so we got that going. We've got some strong books coming out in the EU to join a small but awesome stable of pre-existing novels (post-buyout), and I look forward to that.

My finishing statement:

I enjoyed the 2015 Fantastic Four movie more than TFA.
        I think you'll end up with the most unique opinion about the film.

I often think how many people know about Darth Vader's redemption in Return of the Jedi. Perhaps Luke kept that to himself. Luke was the only at Vader's funeral.

As for Kylo Ren, bitch be crazy. It's probably what attracted Supreme Leader Snoke to him and take him as his apprentice. Feed him lies about the Darkside and about Darth Vader. Snoke probably told Kylo that Luke betrayed and murdered his grandfather. That the Skywalker blood line was to bring peace and order to the galaxy. Power is one of the most intoxicating seductions.
        You just witnessed the strength of geek knowledge. N.W.A., Nerd With Attitude. Straight out of Vulcan!

Comment

• My Two-Cents Review of The Force Awakens

Scoreboard:
          Story - 7/10
          Characters - 9/10
          Dialogue - 7/10
          Special Effects - 10/10
          Nostalgia Balance - 10/10

Overall - 43/50

Review:

If I had to encapsulate all of my thoughts concerning The Force Awakens into a lede or headline, I'd probably go with "The Force Awakens is 'The Avengers' of the Star Wars Universe."

I walked out of The Force Awakens feeling the exact same way I felt after seeing The Avengers for the first time. I was out of breath from all the awesome and excitement of the experience, but at the same time there was a slight twinge that felt the movie could have been so much more. And I think the problem with The Force Awakens is the same problem that hurt The Avengers; TFA is an extremely "safe" movie.

TFA hits all of the beats you know and expect in a Star Wars movie - well executed space battles, ground battles, lightsaber duels, intriguing characters, beautiful locales, deft if simple plot progression.

One of the problems with the movie, was how the movie's emotional plot points fell kind of flat when they were needed most. And so help me god, I think the reason for that was - this movie needed a prequel or two. Though the death of Han Solo was an emotionally impactful scene, it wasn't because you felt a strong connection between Kylo Ren and Han, it was just because Han Solo is a crowd favorite, and my personal favorite character. And I felt as though Abrams was trying to make me feel a connection between Kylo, Han, and Leia, that just functionally wasn't there.

I felt the same way about the ending, when Rey finally makes it to where Luke is hiding. I felt like there was a storypiece missing somewhere, and keeping Rey's background a secret hurt the story in this regard. Throughout the entire movie, Luke is treated as nothing more than a McGuffin, albeit a nerd boner inducing McGuffin, but his connection with Rey has no context. The only real context given is the vision Rey receives when she finds the lightsaber. But even that scene is completely shrouded in mystery - is that in the past, the future? If I have no clue what is happening, how can that help to connect the emotional plot points?

The movie from a technical standpoint is executed about as flawlessly as could be expected. Abrams did a masterful job of mixing practical effects with CGI, and did a great job of knowing when to be more subtle with the booms, flashes, and visual delights. I felt like the movie was a great balance of the more subdued original trilogy, and the grandiose special effects of the prequels.

Along with the special effects, the characters were integrated well. The new blood didn't overshadow the old blood, and vice versa. Everything felt natural, and I liked all of the new additions except - Kylo Ren and Captain Phasma. I felt as though Kylo was a more likable, and better acted version of Anakin. I was hoping for a more intriguing villain. The good thing is there's hope he will flesh out in later movies, and Driver seems to have more acting talent in a lock of his dark hair than Christensen ever had at any singular moment in Attack of the Clones or Revenge of the Sith. And Captain Phasma was a waste of well executed visual character design.

In fact, my thoughts towards Kylo Ren mirror somewhat how I feel about the whole movie. I think its merits will be judged based on how it fits in the whole of the new trilogy. As it stands on its own, TFA is an amazing Star Wars movie, that dropped the ball in key areas that keeps it from movie greatness. However, that can be remedied by how the story fleshes out. Maybe I need to slow roll and wait for the whole graphic novel to come out .

My hope is that now Abrams has pulled off the impossible task of making a new Star Wars movie that is loved by fans, the future movies can take more chances with what is done with plot and characters. The Star Wars universe is big enough, and varied enough to not keep going with the same themes. It took the Marvel universe a bit before it took bigger risks - Guardians of the Galaxy, Jessica Jones. Maybe with the success TFA has brought about will be that catalyst.
          JohnnyV
          Pictionary Master
          Last edited by JohnnyV; 12-22-2015, 04:42 PM.

Follow The Nobodies Comic on Facebook or Twitter

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnnyV View Post
            My Two-Cents Review of The Force Awakens

Scoreboard:
            Story - 7/10
            Characters - 9/10
            Dialogue - 7/10
            Special Effects - 10/10
            Nostalgia Balance - 10/10

Overall - 43/50

Review:

If I had to encapsulate all of my thoughts concerning The Force Awakens into a lede or headline, I'd probably go with "The Force Awakens is 'The Avengers' of the Star Wars Universe."

I walked out of The Force Awakens feeling the exact same way I felt after seeing The Avengers for the first time. I was out of breath from all the awesome and excitement of the experience, but at the same time there was a slight twinge that felt the movie could have been so much more. And I think the problem with The Force Awakens is the same problem that hurt The Avengers; TFA is an extremely "safe" movie.

TFA hits all of the beats you know and expect in a Star Wars movie - well executed space battles, ground battles, lightsaber duels, intriguing characters, beautiful locales, deft if simple plot progression.

One of the problems with the movie, was how the movie's emotional plot points fell kind of flat when they were needed most. And so help me god, I think the reason for that was - this movie needed a prequel or two. Though the death of Han Solo was an emotionally impactful scene, it wasn't because you felt a strong connection between Kylo Ren and Han, it was just because Han Solo is a crowd favorite, and my personal favorite character. And I felt as though Abrams was trying to make me feel a connection between Kylo, Han, and Leia, that just functionally wasn't there.

I felt the same way about the ending, when Rey finally makes it to where Luke is hiding. I felt like there was a storypiece missing somewhere, and keeping Rey's background a secret hurt the story in this regard. Throughout the entire movie, Luke is treated as nothing more than a McGuffin, albeit a nerd boner inducing McGuffin, but his connection with Rey has no context. The only real context given is the vision Rey receives when she finds the lightsaber. But even that scene is completely shrouded in mystery - is that in the past, the future? If I have no clue what is happening, how can that help to connect the emotional plot points?

The movie from a technical standpoint is executed about as flawlessly as could be expected. Abrams did a masterful job of mixing practical effects with CGI, and did a great job of knowing when to be more subtle with the booms, flashes, and visual delights. I felt like the movie was a great balance of the more subdued original trilogy, and the grandiose special effects of the prequels.

Along with the special effects, the characters were integrated well. The new blood didn't overshadow the old blood, and vice versa. Everything felt natural, and I liked all of the new additions except - Kylo Ren and Captain Phasma. I felt as though Kylo was a more likable, and better acted version of Anakin. I was hoping for a more intriguing villain. The good thing is there's hope he will flesh out in later movies, and Driver seems to have more acting talent in a lock of his dark hair than Christensen ever had at any singular moment in Attack of the Clones or Revenge of the Sith. And Captain Phasma was a waste of well executed visual character design.

In fact, my thoughts towards Kylo Ren mirror somewhat how I feel about the whole movie. I think its merits will be judged based on how it fits in the whole of the new trilogy. As it stands on its own, TFA is an amazing Star Wars movie, that dropped the ball in key areas that keeps it from movie greatness. However, that can be remedied by how the story fleshes out. Maybe I need to slow roll and wait for the whole graphic novel to come out .

My hope is that now Abrams has pulled off the impossible task of making a new Star Wars movie that is loved by fans, the future movies can take more chances with what is done with plot and characters. The Star Wars universe is big enough, and varied enough to not keep going with the same themes. It took the Marvel universe a bit before it took bigger risks - Guardians of the Galaxy, Jessica Jones. Maybe with the success TFA has brought about will be that catalyst.
            You slumming here bro?

Comment

• Originally posted by Trey Strain View Post
              You slumming here bro?
              I missed the crazy kids around here

Comment

• Yo.

and, in other news.......: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...icle-1.2473722

Harrison Ford made 50 times more than what his young 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' co-stars were paid
                note: there be some
                SPOILERS within.

Tazer

Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.

Comment

• All the Stuff From The Force Awakens Trailers That Wasn't in the Movie
                  You just witnessed the strength of geek knowledge. N.W.A., Nerd With Attitude. Straight out of Vulcan!

Comment

• Originally posted by Tazer View Post
                    Yo.

and, in other news.......: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...icle-1.2473722

SPOILERS within.

Tazer
                    Makes sense. Don't nobody else play Han Solo.

Comment

Yo.

SPOILERS within.

Tazer

I honestly wonder what Hamill and Fisher made in comparison.

Edit: I mean actual numbers-wise.
                      Jeff
                      Guardian of the Universe
                      Last edited by Jeff; 12-22-2015, 08:32 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnnyV View Post
                        Makes sense. Don't nobody else play Han Solo.
                        Heh, at least until they cast somebody else to play a younger Han in the upcoming film featuring the character...

Comment

Yo.

SPOILERS within.

Tazer
                          Fellow legacy actors Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher earned figures in the low seven-figure range, while padawans Ridley and Boyega earned between $100,000 and $300,000, according to the report.
                          Holy crap on a stick, Batman! That CAN'T be right! That's a basement bargain price for Disney.

One thing that I didn't mention was my extreme disappointment of Captain Phasma. I was expecting a level of badassery of the way fanboys THINK of Boba Fett, but she did NOTHING besides look cool!

Comment

• I think those are just base salaries for the other casts. I betting they'll get a percentage of the film's gross, merchandise and future syndication revenues.

I also think it took that much money to mark Harrison Ford agree to reprise his role and make him promote the film, ala conventions and premieres. That guy hates doing conventions from what I understand.

Comment

• I Agree With This Guy (SPOILERS)

Comment

• Yo.

so yur 1st name is really Rob, BB?

Tazer

Comment

Working...
                                X