The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern: New Guardians/Kyle Rayner
FLASHCHAT

Kyle Rayner
View Poll Results: Which way do you believe it happened?
Kyle in the "right place, right time" category. 32 50.79%
Kyle chosen. 31 49.21%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-26-2010, 04:10 PM   #26
LanternJake
Green Lantern

both in a sense
Old 01-27-2010, 08:17 PM   #27
rahabim87
Sinestro's Sparring Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Ron Marz said it was the right place right time. On our podcast he said that's the ony place where he's openly argued with Geoff Johns, who believes Kyle was like a Chosen One, Destined to Get the Ring One Day.
What. How can Johns in any way argue against what Marz created and wrote himself? Marz's word should be the final answer on that.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:38 PM   #28
TheGoatLantern
Beta-Lantern

Becasuse Johns is the Chosen one and Marz just happened to be in the "right place, at the right time"

She blinded me with SCIENCE!
TheGoatLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:54 PM   #29
rahabim87
Sinestro's Sparring Partner

Old 01-27-2010, 11:57 PM   #30
IonFan
Forum Member

Kyle WAS chosen, Hal himself said so after Rebirth when they went flying

IonFan says

Quote:
F**k all the "Haters" 3 years in and i still support our dear leader, one Donald J. Trump
IonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:08 AM   #31
TheGoatLantern
Beta-Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoatLantern View Post
Becasuse Johns is the Chosen one and Marz just happened to be in the "right place, at the right time"
I was commenting/joking on the free reign that Johns has at DC and how Marz was the only guy at the time who would write GL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahabim87 View Post
Ugh Bart Sears cap is an eye sore

She blinded me with SCIENCE!
TheGoatLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 03:12 PM   #32
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche

Yo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyofshaolin View Post
Yeah it did happen in a Secret Files Book, but you gota remember who was telling that story,,,GUY,,,I sure he was exageratting. We all know Guy and his personality. I don't really take his word for that. Besides according to a Monitor, Kyle would have been GL on Earth-8 anyway. So I still lean towards chosen.
Guy wasnt telling that story from a subjective POV, but instead was relaying a past meeting as fact, since at the time he told it he'd have had no reason to spin it for any reason.

and Kyle being a GL on E-8 doesnt have any bearing on him becoming a GL on NE, or on him being chosen/not chosen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom6 View Post
At the same time they've said time and again that the ring can't be used by just anyone.
.......except Hal or somebody who shared his dna.

Quote:
Ah, another valid point brought into the discussion. As we saw in Final Crisis:Legion of 3 worlds, we know that a Guardian can use his own moral code to choose without Mogo. Sodam Yat did it as the last Guardian. That would mean that Ganthet chose Kyle. I don't think he would have flown all the way across the universe to just give the ring to the first person he ran into. And if so, why Earth??? Why not somewhere else?
sure he chose Kyle........AFTER he spotted him. theres NEVER been any indication that

and why wouldnt Ganthet do that?? after all, we're talking about a being who spent a long amount of time living inside Hal-'llax after having watched him try to "fix" reality, and having watched his brothers commit suicide simply due to having an angry & far-less powerful sub-ordinate coming their way.

Quote:
Sure that is true, but Ganthet could have found someone, anyone that was worthy. Like I said before, the story of Guy being offered first was from his point of view, and if you read it carefully, you can see that he is telling it from a disgruntled viewpoint. So he probably made it up to save face. I think that is what the writer was getting at. BUt that is just an opinion. BUT somewhere between Earth and Oa there had to be a worthy ring bearer, why would Ganthet have come all that way to just pawn it off on anyone?
again, yur wrong on the Guy-story, and Ganthet likely went to Earth since it is (as others have said b4) something of a focal point for most things of universal importance (altho I do agree that he COULDVE gone elsewhere, but we all know he would've........)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonFan View Post
Kyle WAS chosen, Hal himself said so after Rebirth when they went flying
sure he was chosen.......by Ganthet. not the Ring however.

I see that U guys seem to have forgotten that Kyle had redesigned his Ring to always come right back to him if they were ever separated, which accounts for why it came right back after Miri resuscitated him.........

Tazer

Quote:
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:26 PM   #33
IonFan
Forum Member

T your the one forgetting something, if Kyle wasn't worthy nothing not even Ganthet could of put that ring on him. he was chosen, ReBirth alone shows us that

IonFan says

Quote:
F**k all the "Haters" 3 years in and i still support our dear leader, one Donald J. Trump
Old 01-31-2010, 10:24 PM   #34
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB

The thing is, Geoff doesn't want anyone to believe that "just anyone" can wield a power ring. It's why he retcons it so that it is like Ollie is passing a kidney stone when he tries to use the ring in Rebirth, and even Batman can barely do anything with it. It's also the reason Ganthet gets the extra ring in Blackest Night, because a green ring going to some random willful person would be contrary to what Geoff wants you to believe.

If he retcons it so that Kyle had this predetermined Destiny to be the Torch Bearer, then it's not just Some Guy that got the ring... but some kind of Destined Ringbearer.

I'm with Marz. Kyle was in the right place, right time... Ganthet made an on-the-spot assessment and thought he would do in a pinch.

Is that a slight on Kyle? Does this make him less of a character? Absolutely not. He grew into the role and then some.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:48 PM   #35
Tazer

Yo.

Quote:
T your the one forgetting something, if Kyle wasn't worthy nothing not even Ganthet could of put that ring on him. he was chosen, ReBirth alone shows us that
not so, since nothing about Kyle being picked by Ganthet (instead of Ring-chosen) speaks of him being worthy (but instead *necessary*), especially given how his Ring was just Hals re-forged and theres would be nothing inherent in it to stop him from doing so (if a couple of drunks could wield it, then theres nothing wrong w/Kyle trying it out.)

Rebirth doesnt change any of those facts.

Tazer

Quote:
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:54 AM   #36
tommyofshaolin
Green Lantern Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazer View Post
Yo.

Guy wasnt telling that story from a subjective POV, but instead was relaying a past meeting as fact, since at the time he told it he'd have had no reason to spin it for any reason.

and Kyle being a GL on E-8 doesnt have any bearing on him becoming a GL on NE, or on him being chosen/not chosen.

.......except Hal or somebody who shared his dna.

sure he chose Kyle........AFTER he spotted him. theres NEVER been any indication that

and why wouldnt Ganthet do that?? after all, we're talking about a being who spent a long amount of time living inside Hal-'llax after having watched him try to "fix" reality, and having watched his brothers commit suicide simply due to having an angry & far-less powerful sub-ordinate coming their way.

again, yur wrong on the Guy-story, and Ganthet likely went to Earth since it is (as others have said b4) something of a focal point for most things of universal importance (altho I do agree that he COULDVE gone elsewhere, but we all know he would've........)

sure he was chosen.......by Ganthet. not the Ring however.

I see that U guys seem to have forgotten that Kyle had redesigned his Ring to always come right back to him if they were ever separated, which accounts for why it came right back after Miri resuscitated him.........

Tazer
BUt the ring Kyle is wearing now is not the same ring he changed to come back to him. This is a totally new ring given to him a second time by Ganthet in the SCW.
tommyofshaolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 05:59 AM   #37
Tons T
Alpha-Lantern

i believe Kyle was CHosen in the right time and place hehe.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:25 AM   #38
Mechinoid
Hal's Understudy

Quote:
The thing is, Geoff doesn't want anyone to believe that "just anyone" can wield a [Green] power ring. It's why he retcons it so that it is like Ollie is passing a kidney stone when he tries to use the ring in Rebirth, and even Batman can barely do anything with it. It's also the reason Ganthet gets the extra ring in Blackest Night, because a green ring going to some random willful person would be contrary to what Geoff wants you to believe.

If he retcons it so that Kyle had this predetermined Destiny to be the Torch Bearer, then it's not just Some Guy that got the ring... but some kind of Destined Ringbearer.

I'm with Marz. Kyle was in the right place, right time... Ganthet made an on-the-spot assessment and thought he would do in a pinch.

Is that a slight on Kyle? Does this make him less of a character? Absolutely not. He grew into the role and then some.

Keyword in there is green. Everyone knows how easy it is to wield the other power rings.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:25 AM   #39
Tazer

Yo.

Quote:
BUt the ring Kyle is wearing now is not the same ring he changed to come back to him. This is a totally new ring given to him a second time by Ganthet in the SCW.
debatable, given that Ganthet refers to it as if it were & iirc Ring-design (even under Reis) hasnt always been consistent.

Ganthet doesnt speak as if he had made a new 1 for him, so Im inclined to think it is until something comes along to show thats not the case.......

Tazer

Quote:
Old 02-02-2010, 03:17 AM   #40
tommyofshaolin
Green Lantern Initiate

where does Ganthet say it is his old ring? I've never seen that, I remember him saying something about it being the last GL ring he wil give to someone, that actually implies more to the fact that it isn't Kyles old one.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:28 AM   #41
Tazer

Yo.

the dialogue used doesnt tell us that the Ring given to Kyle was a brand new one, and leans more toward it possibly being his old 1 given that: 1) Ganthet refers to it w/a note of familiarity, 2) becoming Ion doesnt have to mean 1 has to lose yur Ring, and 3) Kyles Ring was the only 1 known to have an auto-return built into it as a standard command.

granted, the above isnt rock-solid or anything but I think it lends more credence toward my position than it does yurs........

Tazer

Quote:
Old 02-02-2010, 05:41 AM   #42
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB

Quote:
where does Ganthet say it is his old ring?
Where he says that he's giving it back to him.

And Peter Tomasi confirmed on this very board that it's intended to be the same old ring Kyle's always had.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 03:06 PM   #43
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

They should have stuck with what they said originally -- "You'll have to do." The fact that they said that and then backed down on it didn't help anything.

And the fact that they nuked Hal and the GLC but kept bringing them back so Marz could create some drama by killing off former GLs didn't help either. If it was going to be about Kyle, and if it was going to be about Kyle lucking out, then they should have stood by that.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:48 PM   #44
Absolon
Corps Honor Guard

Guy being offered a ring is canon. Period.
Absolon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 01:32 AM   #45
tommyofshaolin
Green Lantern Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolon View Post
Why would Guy turn a ring down, once,,,then suddenly in Rebirth snatch the thing up as soon as he could. It was a story told from Guy's point of view.
Old 02-03-2010, 03:05 AM   #46
Mechinoid
Hal's Understudy

Quote:
Why would Guy turn a ring down, once,,,then suddenly in Rebirth snatch the thing up as soon as he could. It was a story told from Guy's point of view.
Different writers different times, people change. I concur that it's canon.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:07 AM   #47
IonFan
Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechinoid View Post
Different writers different times, people change. I concur that it's canon.
also at the time he had a ring, Sin.'s ring so really he didn't see the point in having a GL ring (with all their rule that go along with it)

IonFan says

Quote:
Old 02-03-2010, 04:31 AM   #48
Tazer

Yo.

Quote:
well, at the time he turned down the offer, he was doing his thing as a half-Vuldaran........and when he got the Ring back in Rebirth it saved his life when those same abilities threatened to kill him, and since that would effectively make him powerless its no surprise he took it.

and no it was fact, and not simply a pov-tale; no matter how often U wish it were, it wont ever be one.

Tazer

Quote:
Old 02-04-2010, 03:30 AM   #49
Phantom6
Corpse Trainee

Quote:
Wrong.

Ganthet BUILT Kyles ring.

If anyone could have done it I imagine it would be not only the guy who built it but the guy who happens to be just this side of a god.
Phantom6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:00 AM   #50
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolon View Post
Wasn't it in the same one-shot that gave us Kyle's father meeting Hal at Abin Sur's ship - and Jade getting plant powers? Or am I confused?
Michael Heide is offline   Reply With Quote