The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern: New Guardians/Kyle Rayner
FLASHCHAT

Kyle Rayner
View Poll Results: Which way do you believe it happened?
Kyle in the "right place, right time" category. 32 50.79%
Kyle chosen. 31 49.21%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-04-2010, 02:06 PM   #51
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

It was in a Secret Origins I believe.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 06:26 AM   #52
Rotten2thecorps
Alpha-Lantern

The whole Kyle was chosen bit was to try to shut up the rabid Hal fans. I thought is was lame my self. Kyle's story was new and Fresh because he was not born a hero like Hal. His was a story about growing into a hero. Which I think gave him something special. The sad thing is they tried it with Hal as well and it always seemed tacked on to me. The Drunk from Emerald Dawn and the even deeper flawed Hal from the Current run.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:19 PM   #53
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

You know, it's silly to rant about Hal being "a drunk," when Kyle got a ring while he was taking a whiz in an alley. You need to let that go. It's old. People have done worse things than drink alcohol. And anyway, Emerald Dawn was written years before Emerald Twilight.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:54 PM   #54
Dr. Naysay
Guardian of the Universe

Emerald Dawn has the added bonus of being well written and interesting.
Dr. Naysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 12:19 AM   #55
TheGoatLantern
Beta-Lantern

Emerald Dawn served 2 purposes
1: it retold Hal Jordan's Origin with a new twist; and it explored his character a little more (giving him a little more depth).
2: It brought in new readers (always the goal with an origin story or re-telling.

Emerald twilight was devised for one reason and one reason alone. Shock value. Same as Superman dying, Batman "breaking", they needed something to happen to Hal Jordan to bolster sales, and with the ring being the power and not the person they were able to pass it off to someone else.

Now don't get me wrong, I like Kyle's character, he is the Peter Parker of DC but he absolutely was not chosen, he just happened to be the guy the spider landed on, metophorically speaking.

She blinded me with SCIENCE!
TheGoatLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 12:41 AM   #56
Dr. Naysay
Guardian of the Universe

Ron Marz fucking sucks.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:39 AM   #57
Ion2814
Corpse Trainee

Kyle was randomly chosen. It's been that way since GL#51, and it was confirmed in the ION mini. And Alex was Kyle's Uncle Ben. Kyle has the most powerful weapon in the universe fueled by the will of a guy who learned the hard way you have to do the right thing.
Ion2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 02:46 PM   #58
jGLZa
Guy's Drinking Buddy

To answer the question: I believe that Kyle was chosen despite seeing and reading that it was right place, right time.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:54 PM   #59
maltesefalcon
Kilowog's Recruit

i would like to see guy's story from ganthets point of view maybe putting in something that guy didnt want to fight hal or the ring at that time rejecting him or even guy being drunk having a pity party shouts at ganthet walks away and by the time he realises what he's given up its too late
Old 03-27-2010, 02:30 AM   #60
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Naysay View Post
Ron Marz fucking sucks.
Blasphemy!

Ron Marz is a great wrighter who's always taking shit for ET. It was editorial's fault that things went down certain ways, no different from when the 'great' Geoff Johns wrote Hal into the Spectre roll in Day of Judgement. Sometimes editors just get stupid ideas in their heads and put them off on the writer's....

~KL~
Ωmega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 02:40 AM   #61
Spectremjm
Corps Honor Guard

Send a message via Yahoo to Spectremjm

Emerald Twilight was definitely Kevin Dooley's doing more than Marz and he did take more shit than he should have. That being said, he is not in my opinion a great writer. He told many stories during his run with plot holes you could drive a truck through. He did get better, but still. And Kyle still wasn't chosen in the real or truest sense. Maybe there was something about him that led Ganthet to the general area, maybe. But Ganthet clearly indicated that Kyle was the one that "had to do" and he later reaffirmed that idea in Parallax View. We can believe Kyle was actually fated or destined to wear the ring, but Ganthet originally did not choose him for that reason.

I'm dead, yet I live. I have no identity. Yet I know
who I am. And once again I've been given power enough
to change the world. This time, Lord...
Let me be worthy."
Spectremjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 09:43 PM   #62
Dr. Naysay
Guardian of the Universe

Who's idea was it to have Major Force stuff Alex in a fridge?
Old 03-28-2010, 03:34 AM   #63
GLJIMT

both remember that Hal was also chosen but was in the right place as well, as Guy was chosen but in the wrong place (leaving the ring in the hands of Hal)
Old 03-28-2010, 02:59 PM   #64
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectremjm View Post
Emerald Twilight was definitely Kevin Dooley's doing more than Marz and he did take more shit than he should have. That being said, he is not in my opinion a great writer. He told many stories during his run with plot holes you could drive a truck through. He did get better, but still. And Kyle still wasn't chosen in the real or truest sense. Maybe there was something about him that led Ganthet to the general area, maybe. But Ganthet clearly indicated that Kyle was the one that "had to do" and he later reaffirmed that idea in Parallax View. We can believe Kyle was actually fated or destined to wear the ring, but Ganthet originally did not choose him for that reason.
In issue #150 after Kyle resurrects the Guardians andrelights the CPB Ganthet tells him....

"You were always my greatest hope...."

With what we have now with the War of Light I like to think Kyle wasn't as random as he or anybody but Ganthet believes. He should have been a Blue Lantern at the end of GL#24 damnit.

~KL~
Old 03-28-2010, 03:03 PM   #65
methos
Kyle's Backup Artist

Send a message via MSN to methos Send a message via Skype™ to methos

sorry to be Devils Advocate here... but does it really matter?

As with all GL history currently, it's just going to be changed, changed again, changed a bit more, written as a complete opposite of what it was originally, changed some more, and then changed even more...

And more than likely, thats just going to be in the next six issues...

I can't bring myself to get caught up in matters like this that are just going to be retconned away a dozen times or more, as they have already been... My opinion is that Kyle was just in the right place at the right time, as Ganthet said to him "You'll have to do", but that doesn't change what he did with the ring or how awesome he was with it.

M
Old 03-28-2010, 03:37 PM   #66
Onabyrcse
Corpse Trainee

My Belief is that Kyle was in the right place & right time.

Ganthet scanned earth after guy not wanting the ring. C'mon who would you chose to kick Hal's butt, but tho only other GL that always wanted to do it and not revere whatever Hal did as right.

After Ganthet scanned earth he found some suitable candidates, but the one nearest wasn't the BEST choice, he lacked focus, was untrained, and still pretty much an irresposable "kid", so there goes the saying "you will have to do".
Onabyrcse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 02:51 AM   #67
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche

Yo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid Lantern View Post
In issue #150 after Kyle resurrects the Guardians andrelights the CPB Ganthet tells him....

"You were always my greatest hope...."

With what we have now with the War of Light I like to think Kyle wasn't as random as he or anybody but Ganthet believes. He should have been a Blue Lantern at the end of GL#24 damnit.
I dont believe that line was meant from when he initially picked Kyle, but as he came along in the role as GL........

Tazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:28 PM   #68
Doc2814
Anti-Monitor

Send a message via AIM to Doc2814

I relate to Kyle better simply because he is what we all are... he is us. A typical guy, nothing extraordinary... at the time. Kyle > Hal

I'm a leaf on the wind...
Doc2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 03:32 PM   #69
Tarmode
Green Lantern Initiate

Slighty Chosen over Right Place, Right Time.
Tarmode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 05:28 PM   #70
Shingo Wol

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMarcumUSN View Post
Kyle > Hal
Old 03-31-2010, 01:10 AM   #71
lokeinlyesmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMarcumUSN View Post
I relate to Kyle better simply because he is what we all are... he is us. A typical guy, nothing extraordinary... at the time. Kyle > Hal
Whoa whoa whoa. I take great offense at being likened to Kyle. I am not whiny or emo. I would not complain about the responsibility of being a super-hero. "Woe is me! I have a power-ring! I have Superman on speed dial. My life SUCKS." I don't think so, pal.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:50 PM   #72
havik
Torch Bearer

Send a message via Yahoo to havik

it wasnt about being a whiny super hero the fact is that kyle is more like an everyday guy who became a super hero and wasn't born into but became one
havik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:29 PM   #73
Dr. Naysay
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by havik View Post
it wasnt about being a whiny super hero the fact is that kyle is more like an everyday guy who became a super hero and wasn't born into but became one
Yea... an everyday whiny guy.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:37 PM   #74
lokeinlyesmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Naysay View Post
Yea... an everyday whiny guy.
Kyle acts (or rather, acted. I think he's changed a bit through BN) like if he could give up being a super-hero, he would. Like he wishes it never happened to him. Where is it written that the "everyman" would hate the fact that he suddenly became a superhero? What average joe would take a Power Ring and go "Wow.... this is a huge responsibility.... this suuuuuuucks!" Maybe that means I'm not a "everyman" just because I'm not some emo-sensitive-hate-myself-to-be-an-artist pansy.

.... Whoa. Kinda turned into a rant, didn't it?
Old 04-09-2010, 10:43 PM   #75
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

I don't think Kyle was that emo. He bitched about losing his women and being late for Titans meetings and getting bitched at by Roy Harper. He was good after issue 75 or so. That's barely two years of his run. He got a little too upset over Terry getting beaten, but that's Judd Winnick for ya. He still kicked ass as a Green Lantern or Ion or whatever the hell they do with him. Who cares if there's some secret in his origin where his story is changed, it's still Kyle. Just get him a different suit LOL

~KL~