The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern: New Guardians/Kyle Rayner
FLASHCHAT

Kyle Rayner
View Poll Results: Which way do you believe it happened?
Kyle in the "right place, right time" category. 32 50.79%
Kyle chosen. 31 49.21%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-09-2010, 10:48 PM   #76
Dr. Naysay
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid Lantern View Post
Just get him a different suit LOL

~KL~
Kyle Rayner is the comic book hero for the Oprah generation of American males.

A new outfit every 20 months, a new haircut, a new name, relationship drama, feelings, crying....

I've said it before he's like someone put the musical RENT into one character and gave him a power ring.

Give me Hal "pussyhound" Jordan and his occasional bouts of depression and alcoholism sublimated into womanizing and ramblin' any day.

Or Guy Gardner.

Or the black guy.
Dr. Naysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:50 PM   #77
Dr. Naysay
Guardian of the Universe

and if you want the proof look at the fans...

Hal fans got pissed and made a fucking organization and bitched so long and so loudly that DC finally put him back.

Kyle fans start threads about his butt and complain that Geoff Johns is mean to him and doesn't give him the attention he deserves... and they have vaginas.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:50 PM   #78
lokeinlyesmith

Quote:
I don't think Kyle was that emo. He bitched about losing his women and being late for Titans meetings and getting bitched at by Roy Harper. He was good after issue 75 or so.

He was Emo even as Ion. PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWER and he has to go run off to some fruity artists retreat to "find himself"? Yeah. I feel for the dude. *eye roll*
And his women dying? I blame him just as much as I do the villains. He needs to be more careful with his chicks. I can't think of any other super hero that has this many problems with keeping his/her loved ones alive. It's called a SECRET identity for a reason, Kyle.

But I did say he's changing a bit. At the end of Ion, he kinda stuck it to the Smurf's and told them off. Sorta. He could've had a LITTLE bigger balls over that. And he didn't let the Black Lantern Fridge of Death get to him.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:53 PM   #79
lokeinlyesmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Naysay View Post
I've said it before he's like someone put the musical RENT into one character and gave him a power ring.

HAHAHAHAAHAA!!!! omg.... oh, man..... That just struck me as so effing funny.... 'cause it's SO accurate. 'cept Kyle doesn't have aids.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:55 PM   #80
Dr. Naysay
Guardian of the Universe

No... but it's just a matter of time before he falls in love with a heroin addict stripper who dies from it.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:11 PM   #81
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

She'd have to have superpowers in her boobs cause he's only dating chicks with powers. Dude shouldn't have to watch after a chick who can juggle cars and another green one who can do exactly what he does just with more experience. Give the guy a freakin' break.

Alex was his one fuck up that inspired him to become a better hero. She's like Spidey's Uncle Ben.

~KL~
Ωmega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:17 PM   #82
Shingo Wol

Quote:
She'd have to have superpowers in her boobs cause he's only dating chicks with powers. Dude shouldn't have to watch after a chick who can juggle cars and another green one who can do exactly what he does just with more experience. Give the guy a freakin' break.

Alex was his one fuck up that inspired him to become a better hero. She's like Spidey's Uncle Ben.

~KL~
QTF.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:37 PM   #83
lokeinlyesmith

Quote:
Only half his beetches that have died have been super, and I'm counting his mom in there.

The difference between Kyle/Alex and Peter/Ben?
1. Peter didn't sleep with Ben.
2. Kyle was a hero BEFORE Alex. The Ben-fuck-up inspired Peter to be a hero in the first place.
3. Alex died in a direct result of Kyle being involved. Ben died in an indirect result of Peter NOT getting involved.

That's some pretty big differences. Peter wasn't already supposed to be saving lives when Ben died. Kyle was. I give equal blame to Kyle for Alex's death.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:43 PM   #84
Dr. Naysay
Guardian of the Universe

Also.... Peter Parker is funny. Could you imagine how insufferable Spider-Man comics would have been over the last 50 years if they hadn't written that into his character? Without his sense of humor Spider-Man would never have gained his popularity.

The only thing funny about Kyle is his dead ex-girlfriend stuffed in a fridge.
Old 04-10-2010, 12:09 AM   #85
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

I don't think Spider-Man is as funny as people generally think. He's got jokes, but 70% of them are lame.

Loke, I didn't say he became a hero after Alex died like Spidey and Uncle Ben. I said she "inspired him to become a BETTER hero." It's the same story as Spidey, inspiration to become a better person/hero/arachnid/etc. after the death of a loved one. And his Mom... really it took I don't know how many retcons to keep Aunt May in the stories of Spider-Man. DC just didn't wanna be that cheap.

The topic is Kyle being chosen or not. Do we need to derail the thread further?

~KL~
Old 04-10-2010, 12:24 AM   #86
lokeinlyesmith

Quote:

Loke, I didn't say he became a hero after Alex died like Spidey and Uncle Ben. I said she "inspired him to become a BETTER hero."
Right, and my point was that it was very different, because Peter wasn't already a hero. Kyle should have already been inspired before Alex died. AFTER you're a hero to decide to be a GOOD hero is a little too late.

Quote:
The topic is Kyle being chosen or not. Do we need to derail the thread further?
You're right. I digress. Not the point. My original point was that it irks me to that people say Kyle is like your average person. That he represents all of us. He does -not- represent me, or anyone I choose to spend time with. My friends would get bitch-slapped for being that whiny.
Old 04-10-2010, 03:43 AM   #87
GL_2814
Bond, Lantern Bond

I hate to say it but right place right time. Remember Ganthet's words: You shall have to do.
Old 04-10-2010, 03:53 AM   #88
Gauntlet101010
Alpha-Lantern

I'd say it's both. Kyle, as he was in GL 50, would never qualify as overcoming great fear. But after everything he went through? He's definitely qualified.
Gauntlet101010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:17 PM   #89
Levy
Fatality's Blacksmith

quick question, because I'm a little confused... Is Kyle's ring still supposed to work only for him alone, or this has been retconned, too...?
Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:28 PM   #90
Doc2814
Anti-Monitor

Send a message via AIM to Doc2814

I think most of Kyle's run in volume three has been done away with- it hasn't been mentioned really since that issue (178 I believe). It's also suppose to have a reserve charge, "enough to get him out of most anything" but that hasn't be touched on either. Heh, the last time we saw a Lantern check his power level was when Hal was thrown into the bat signal in Blackest Night #1.

I'm a leaf on the wind...
Doc2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 03:54 AM   #91
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

After Kyle tweaked his ring after his first stint as Ion, it adopted a new look to match his symbol for a short time and had a combo of Hal's ring's functions and Kyle's. Reserve power, auto return, gas tank charge, no yellow weakness, and the personal shield similar to Hal's that protects the wearer from mortal harm.

I'd say Kyle's ring is pretty standard since everybody has the gas tank charge now and yellow effects rookies and Lanterns not on their A-game.

~KL~
Old 05-04-2010, 04:17 AM   #92
Spectremjm
Corps Honor Guard

Send a message via Yahoo to Spectremjm

They've actually never touched upon if Kyle's ring is still tied to his genetic template or not since Rebirth. Would be an interesting thing to revisit down the road, as would seeing Cary Wren again.

I'm dead, yet I live. I have no identity. Yet I know
who I am. And once again I've been given power enough
to change the world. This time, Lord...
Let me be worthy."
Spectremjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 04:26 AM   #93
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

Cary Wren should be an active GL in the Legion same as Rond Vidar. No reason they couldn't co-exist.

~KL~
Old 05-04-2010, 04:32 AM   #94
Gauntlet101010
Alpha-Lantern

I think the retcon was that Kyle's ring is only special because of it's immunity to yellow. If it was special before, it clearly isn't now. Although I wouldn't mind it being so. I don't think it's really worthwhile anymore, though.

On that note, there's very few scans of the ring's short-lived redesign. So here's two.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg KyleRing1.jpg (27.5 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg KyleRing2.jpg (52.8 KB, 45 views)
Gauntlet101010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:04 AM   #95
Doc2814
Anti-Monitor

I like Kyle's first design better myself.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:25 PM   #96
SD80MAC
Not a True Fan

I'd say it's a little bit of both. At first, it may have seemed like Ganthet just picked him out of the blue (no pun intended), but that was clearly a marketing decision. As GL history is constantly being rearranged and retconned, it's abundantly clear now that he was chosen. Ganthet's got some pretty good foresight.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:28 PM   #97
Doc2814
Anti-Monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD80MAC View Post
I'd say it's a little bit of both. At first, it may have seemed like Ganthet just picked him out of the blue (no pun intended), but that was clearly a marketing decision. As GL history is constantly being rearranged and retconned, it's abundantly clear now that he was chosen. Ganthet's got some pretty good foresight.
He was initially picked at random... but it was to make him a more relatable character... and everyman "this could have been you" type of deal. rocks

Old 05-04-2010, 09:34 PM   #98
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche

Yo.

Quote:
Cary Wren should be an active GL in the Legion same as Rond Vidar. No reason they couldn't co-exist.
aside from the fact that shes not from the right future (altho, tbch they could just make another 1 who is)??

Tazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:10 AM   #99
Levy
Fatality's Blacksmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectremjm View Post
They've actually never touched upon if Kyle's ring is still tied to his genetic template or not since Rebirth.
Thanks, that's exactly what I wanted to know.

I'd say that such a thing - a ring tied to the user's genetic template - it's easier to be left as it is than changed, moreover now that it is no longer the only ring around. None'd care.

I like the first design better, even though, I find John/Hal's rings prettier.
Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:51 AM   #100
Doc2814
Anti-Monitor

It would have been interesting if Kyle had remained dead (I know, Im a horrible Kyle fan) for the next Lantern to get his ring.

"Bruce Castle of Earth, you have the ability to overcome great fear, welcome to the Green Lantern Corps"

Bruce: "Cool, but why doesnt this damn ring work?"