The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Other Comics
FLASHCHAT

Miscellaneous GL Comics

Old 04-17-2017, 02:07 PM   #1
-//V\\-
Guardian of the Universe

Question DC Sandbox Villains?

You know how once in awhile Juggernaut will fight Spiderman? Sometimes the Absorbing Man fights somebody other than the Hulk or Thor? Lately with the issues between Disney/Marvel and Fox in the animated cartoons a lot more villains are in a larger sandbox and being used more across the board. Batroc is the last person I expected to see on a Spiderman cartoon. Immediately followed by Trapster/Paste Pot Pete.

The question I'm asking is what types of villains do you think could fight more than one hero in the DC Universe? Superman, Batman, and the Flash have plenty of rogues to go around.

I think anybody that isn't a *main* enemy of the hero should be able to crossover. Characters like King Shark, Heatwave, Multiplex [though at one time he was the arch of Firestorm, just too good not to use], Venom junkies, Parasite, Firefly, Replicant, Punch and Jewelee [LOVED them in 'I Am Suicide'], Scarecrow, Lion Mane, Goldface, Tattooed Man, Livewire, Dr. Polaris, Neutron, Shadow Thief, Girder, Hummingbird, Maxwell Lord, Ragdoll, Council of Spiders [they NEED to return], Captain Boomerang, the Key, Bane, Shrapnel, Condiment King, General Eiling, rogue Atlantian criminals, the Silver Swan, Sabbac, and Neron would work I think.

Any villain out there you'd really like to see go up against a different hero than the usual? I LOVE how during JL vs Suicide Squad we're seeing Aquaman vs Killer Croc. And how Bane was used in the Young Justice cartoon. I've wanted Capt. Atom to go up against Parasite ever since Kingdom Come and get a win. Could Replicant replicate Lantern tech on Earth? What if Dr. Crane/Scarecrow assumed a new identity and moved to Coast City, the 'city without fear'? Why haven't more criminals tried to assume a new alias and moved their operations?

~//V\\~

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world." - Albert Einstein

Last edited by -//V\\-; 04-17-2017 at 02:10 PM.
-//V\\- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 02:56 PM   #2
Space Cop
The Dandy

In vol. 3 I liked when Mongul popped in. I thought he was a good match outside of Superman.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:30 PM   #3
-//V\\-
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
In vol. 3 I liked when Mongul popped in. I thought he was a good match outside of Superman.
Since then he's mostly been used in Green Lantern, same with Cyborg Superman. But I loved it. Brainiac should be another one for the cosmic characters to deal with more often.

~//V\\~

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world." - Albert Einstein
Old 04-17-2017, 11:51 PM   #4
-//V\\-
Guardian of the Universe

Hawkman vs Man Bat. IDK why this hasn't happened yet. Or maybe... the Court of Owls has a splinter cell in St. Roch? Maybe Poison Ivy and the Atom butt heads when she tries to... get this... take over Ivy Town. It practically writes itself.

~//V\\~

Old 04-18-2017, 02:14 AM   #5
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Rat Catcher vs Rat King

Make it happen, DC/IDW.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:49 PM   #6
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

The Shadow Thief vs the Flash

Gentleman Ghost vs the Atom

Count Vertigo vs the Question
Old 04-19-2017, 02:14 PM   #7
Space Cop
The Dandy

I always liked Toyman (the bad guy, not the Asian anti-hero). He could fight anyone and I'd be interested. He could hit Coast City. Of course, it would've been easier pre-Rebirth because he would've just made yellow toys.
Old 04-19-2017, 02:26 PM   #8
-//V\\-
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
I always liked Toyman (the bad guy, not the Asian anti-hero). He could fight anyone and I'd be interested. He could hit Coast City. Of course, it would've been easier pre-Rebirth because he would've just made yellow toys.
Now Coast City doesn't have a hero ATM. Could still be cool. I liked the look of the one from Super Friends.

~//V\\~

Old 04-19-2017, 02:44 PM   #9
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by -//V\\- View Post
Now Coast City doesn't have a hero ATM. Could still be cool. I liked the look of the one from Super Friends.

~//V\\~
It's true, but Toyman would only work earthbound. I suppose he could attack Seattle and Cruz and Baz have to deal with them.
Old 04-19-2017, 02:23 PM   #10
-//V\\-
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I View Post

Count Vertigo vs the Question
I like this one a lot.

~//V\\~

Old 04-19-2017, 07:59 PM   #11
-//V\\-
Guardian of the Universe

I know he'd only work on Earth, I was alluding to the fact Coast City needs a hero. Could be Hal once he returns to Earth or another hero entirely. I wouldn't waist a city they worked so hard to bring back and make relevant again.

~//V\\~

Old 04-19-2017, 11:40 PM   #12
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Coast City has the Coast Guard.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:36 AM   #13
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Purple View Post
Coast City has the Coast Guard.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:45 AM   #14
-//V\\-
Guardian of the Universe

Edwards Air Force Base is more hardcore than the Coast Guard and its near Coast City. And they couldn't handle a single Manhunter android....

You mean to tell me every villain in or around Coast City just ups and vanishes while Hal's gone? The city should be in shambles.

If the villains ARE gone, where in the hell are they?

~//V\\~

Old 04-20-2017, 02:39 AM   #15
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

I'd suggest they're all chilling on that secret space station that Dr. Light went to during Identity Crisis, but I'm totally certain that place was reboot-wiped from existence.
Old 04-24-2017, 03:37 AM   #16
-//V\\-
Guardian of the Universe

I always liked Goldface when he was shown on the JLU cartoons. I wish he could make a comeback somewhere as a 3rd rate villain...

It'd be cool to see the Ultra Humanite show up somewhere as well. Somewhere odd like Suicide Squad as an enemy or possibly off world and in the body of an alien despot in a GL comic...

Multiplex has always been underutilized as a henchman army for hire...

~//V\\~

Old 04-24-2017, 04:10 AM   #17
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by -//V\\- View Post
I always liked Goldface when he was shown on the JLU cartoons. . .
I just watched those recently. He didn't do much. In the one where Lex took over he speaks like two sentences. In the others, he has even less to do. But it was cool in JLU to see characters like that show up that mean are beyond the broad-appeal Lex Luthors and Jokers.

Last edited by Space Cop; 04-24-2017 at 04:12 AM.
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 04:15 AM   #18
-//V\\-
Guardian of the Universe

That show did as much for villains as it did for the heroes. There was a blink and you missed it Swamp Thing cameo on the Watchtower, and DOZENS of heroes and villains. I liked in one of the last couple episodes how it showed Commander Steel taking a Parademon's shield and throwing it ala Capt. America. I liked seeing Dr. Polaris and wished it would've been his more modern suit, but it was cool how the guy who voiced Flash also did his. I didn't even know who Nemesis was until like a year ago...

~//V\\~

Old 04-24-2017, 04:20 AM   #19
Space Cop
The Dandy

Yeah, on the DVD it was fun to pause during the big roster JL or legion scenes and try to spot everyone. I've been reading DC comics a long time and there were still some I couldn't place (or at least couldn't name).
Old 04-24-2017, 04:36 AM   #20
-//V\\-
Guardian of the Universe

Nemesis was one of the only ones I didn't know of. And a couple of the villains. I remember seeing Waverider, Hourman, Aztek [who was at the time just now in the comics, along with Stargirl, so it was NUTS], the Ray, etc. So much win with that series. And even though he never showed up in the cartoon, Plastic Man was mentioned and others as well.

JLU introduced me to the Atomic Skull and now he's one of my favorite villains. He's a good powerhouse for anybody who could consider themselves JL threat level but he's mostly only used in Superman. That particular version of Toyman was creepy too...

~//V\\~

Last edited by -//V\\-; 04-24-2017 at 04:56 AM.
Old 04-24-2017, 03:36 PM   #21
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Man, JL/JLU was some GOOD times. Great show.

I used to have a thing for Goldface as a kid; I just liked his design and his helmet. He doesn't really work as a villain now so I get why he doesn't get used, but I enjoyed him back in the day. I remember Geoff Johns tried to revamp him in his run on the Flash as a type of Jimmy Hoffa union gangster, no costume or gimmick, just changed his line of work to union racketeering. So that was a good example of a villain going from one sandbox to another, even if he was unrecognizable.

GL fact though that a lot of people forget; it was Goldface who murdered Tomar Re.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:29 PM   #22
-//V\\-
Guardian of the Universe

He should make a comeback.

Maybe a new Secret Society could be for sandbox villains.

~//V\\~