Worst SJW Changes in Comics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worst SJW Changes in Comics

In the last decade and even before then the changing of a character's ethnicity, gender, and/or sexual preference has become too common in comics and other forms of media. At times in both DC and Marvel's vast history heroes have got what most refer to now as 'black sidekicks' who also take the premiere character's role every so often. This includes GL John Stewart, War Machine, and in more recent years across media we've been introduced to tokenized versions of Aqualad, Kid Flash, Mordo, Crimson Avenger, Valkyrie, Spider-Man, Superman, as well as several others. Other times a gender swap is also used to try and bring in more female readers. Just off the top of my head this includes Green Lantern, Thor, Capt. Marvel, and side characters like Electro, Smasher, Robin, etc. Indie characters such as the Shield and Solar have also been recast as females. Then every once in awhile TPTB decide to kick us in the feels and tell us that this character or that character is now gay. This includes but is certainly not limited to Iceman, GL Alan Scott, the Ray, Shatterstar, the aforementioned tokenized Aqualad, etc.

Now I'm not saying all of this is bad. There's a few success stories in there when you look at how popular the female Thor era became, and how much money Capt. Marvel made being sandwiched in between two Avengers films.

However, which ones though do you think were handled the worst? Could they have been handled better?

For me it's Iceman with the Ray coming in at a close second.

With Iceman and his history, it would've made much more sense if the character was bisexual. In the story itself the younger Bobby even questioned Jean telling him he was gay [which was just as out of character], but she was all "nope you're not bi, just gay." Now for a character who's only ever had one or two note-worthy relationships in the comics, it WOULD have added to a character like Beast.

With the Ray he just got hit with the SJW hammer hard. The new52 had it's own version that was Asian American, can't remember his name off hand, but his powers included illusion casting and hypnosis so despite having a sweet look I was turned off. Then a one-shot tale about a new spin on Earth X had the Freedom Fighters presented as minorities for like the last two pages, in which the Ray was now gay and it went on from there.

None of it had the same appeal as the version of Ray from the 90's. That version would've brought a lot more to the table in the Arrowverse in my opinion. Especially considering his fling with older hero Black Canary had him and GA at odds for awhile....

With a few minor exceptions I haven't followed Marvel since the 90s. What's the deal with lady Thor? I think I heard it's Jane. What happened to real Thor?

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
      With a few minor exceptions I haven't followed Marvel since the 90s. What's the deal with lady Thor? I think I heard it's Jane. What happened to real Thor?
      He was unworthy to lift his hammer for about one year, as a part of Jason Aaron's seven year run on the series. Jane Foster, however, was. He still appeared in the series and the spin-off Unworthy Thor. Since shortly after that one ended, the son of Odin has been Thor again, while she is the new Valkyrie.

My favorite SJW replacements of the last decade are Ryan Choi, Mister Terrific 2, JJ Thunder, John Henry Irons, James Rhodes, John Stewart, and Luke Cage as a member of the Fantastic Four.

Comment

Yo.

.....John Henry? hunh. I guess never saw him as a Supes -replacement (atleast, not compared to Eradicator or Henshaw), let alone an SJW -ish one.

now, if we're talkin' Calvin Ellis/Kalel or Sunshine Superman OTOH......

Tazer

Originally posted by Andrew NDB
        Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.

Comment

He was as much a Superman replacement as Sam Wilson was a Cap replacement. His spinoff book lasted longer, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Heide View Post
            My favorite SJW replacements of the last decade are Ryan Choi, Mister Terrific 2, JJ Thunder, John Henry Irons, James Rhodes, John Stewart, and Luke Cage as a member of the Fantastic Four.
            JJ Thunder couldn't have become a favorite in the last decade unless you were reading back issues. Since the New52 he's made what... 2 appearances maybe? And one was in the end of Doomsday Clock....

He was as much a Superman replacement as Sam Wilson was a Cap replacement. His spinoff book lasted longer, though.
            Ah the 90's. Back when characters like Steel, Superboy, Impulse, Robin, and Azreal all had monthlies lasting near 100 issues... which is all but completely unheard of today.

I'd forgot completely about Falcon as Cap. It's not that it was bad, it's just them making the OG Cap an agent of Hydra that pissed everybody off to no end.

Makes me think about Blue Beetle. While I'm a fan of Jaime, kid's had like 3 or 4 monthlies that went nowhere. DC needs to accept that like characters created by Jack Kirby, characters created by Steve Ditko are just as legendary and profitable. Ted Kord and the Question both should've been on the top of an editor's to-do list long before now.

Comment

I think Kyle’s retconned Hispanic heritage had to be one of the most pointless, ineffectual, nonsensical SJW changes. It had the advantage of not really messing with the character to the extent of some of the other examples brought up here, but that just makes it all the more pointless, IMHO. It was a difference that made no difference, other than to set up the specific story it appeared in, which wasn’t really worth it, even ignoring that it was contradicting the various hints and mysterious appearances related to his dad that had appeared before

Comment

My biggest gripe with that specific retcon is that writers like Tom King reduce Kyle to a Latino stereotype that keeps praying in Spanish while clutching his proverbial pearls. Because he learned in his mid-twenties that the father he never knew had grown up in Mexico decades before he even met Kyle's mom. Ridiculous.

Comment

I mean, look at this nonsense:

Comment

My biggest gripe with that specific retcon is that writers like Tom King reduce Kyle to a Latino stereotype that keeps praying in Spanish while clutching his proverbial pearls. Because he learned in his mid-twenties that the father he never knew had grown up in Mexico decades before he even met Kyle's mom. Ridiculous.
                    I actually thought that was one of the best elements of Omega Men. Overall, I wasn't all that invested in the story, but watching Kyle recite the GL Oath while saying the Lord's Prayer in Spanish was sweet.
                    Check out my Green Lantern product reviews on Twitter as the Emerald Enthusiast! @EmeraldEnthusi1

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Lantern View Post
                      I actually thought that was one of the best elements of Omega Men. Overall, I wasn't all that invested in the story, but watching Kyle recite the GL Oath while saying the Lord's Prayer in Spanish was sweet.
                      Of course, they could’ve just done it within the context of his Irish heritage.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                        Of course, they could’ve just done it within the context of his Irish heritage.
                        Sure, but I never had a problem with Kyle's big heritage reveal. I also talked to Darryl Banks recently and I brought up that DC had confirmed that Kyle's Mexican father is still canon. Darryl said that Kyle has always been "very popular in Latin America", so he was supportive of keeping his background as such.
                        Check out my Green Lantern product reviews on Twitter as the Emerald Enthusiast! @EmeraldEnthusi1

Comment

Kyle was popular with anime and manga fans too, but if it had been revealed he was part Asian and he immediately started speaking their languages it would've been just as out of character. It didn't turn me away from the character like the big Iceman controversy though. What's even more insulting than shoehorning Kyle to meet some minority quota in DC? When people in his supporting cast who don't have Hispanic backgrounds start using random words to help with the shoehorning. I give you example A:

Ωmega Man
                          Guardian of the Universe
                          Last edited by Ωmega Man; 01-03-2020, 08:33 AM.

Comment

I don't mind Kyle being half Mexican one iota. What I do mind is Kyle continuously "finding" his father again because writers don't bother to do their homework and editors can't be bothered to actually edit anymore.

The biggest SJW thing that bothers me is the Earth-2 business with Alan Scott. They had the opportunity to craft something fresh and new with the JSA characters and right off the bat they force Alan Scott to be gay, simultaneously wiping out Jade and Obsidian from ever having been. For years and years Alan had been shown as a doting husband and father, and Jade was like freshly resurrected in "Brightest Day" when the "switch" happened. Very angering.

Comment

The idiocy behind that whole Earth 2 business was that they removed a gay character, Obsidian, in order to make Alan Scott gay. This added nothing.

Comment

Working...
                              X