More Multiverse Titles/Minis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Multiverse Titles/Minis?

Would anybody else like to see more Multiverse/Elseworlds happen? It seems like twenty years ago they couldn't make enough of them, now we rarely see them. I'd love to see something else with the Kingdom Come universe, the Challengers From Beyond, the Supermen of the Multiverse, the Freedom Fighters of Earth X [or whatever Earth # it is now], the Justice Incarnate, and the DCU's remaining equivalent universe for Marvel featuring Lord Havoc and the Extremists as enemies. I also dug Dino Cop and Spore from that universe similar to Image.

Would anybody else wanna see more of the Multiverse? If certain characters are gonna remain in limbo during Rebirth would you just as well see them in a new series in some Multiversal way? For example, since a good mainstream Question series doesn't look to be in anybody's sights, what if we got a new Question series set on another Earth where other Charlton characters and bigger DC characters actually went through that 'Twilight of the Superheroes' that never happened?

I think there were a handful of remaining Earths in the 52 parallel universes so there's still plenty of room to move beyond what we've already seen. And if it was a successful approach to putting more material out there you could go past 52 Earths and go into the Omniverse or whatever else it was Morrison dreamed up...

With the JL and WW films out this year, DC just needs to crank out more stuff. When the Avengers films come out there's like 8 Avengers books, right now we've got JL and Batman's new JLoA. The multiverse concept is a big part of the CW verse now, so there's a chance more fans could come into this less confused than before. And there's also room for a DC film verse in the 52 Earths as well as a CW Earth. They could actually cross over in the comics.

~//V\\~
    Ωmega Man
    Guardian of the Universe
    Last edited by Ωmega Man; 02-26-2017, 05:33 PM. Reason: put the KL stamp at the end by mistake LOL

I have no interest in more Elseworlds stories, but I would LOVE self contained multiverse miniseries.

Do a JSA mini series that takes place on the REAL pre-Crisis Earth 2. And self contained so it doesn't get messed with by other titles.

A Marvel Family story based on the classic Earth S!

A Charlton heroes team up story based on Earth 4 to finally wash that L.A.W. mini series out of my mouth.

A CSA mini series or one shot with the silver age Crime Syndicate of Earth 3.

A modern story on the real Earth 2 depicting children of the characters from Infinity Inc.

Comment

I used to pick up Elseworlds titles when they interested me (like the GL Batman).

I wouldn't want a regular Elseworlds or Multiverse title, but I'd welcome occasional one shots and minis. I could always read more about the Nazi Earth and the one with the kids with big heads.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
        I used to pick up Elseworlds titles when they interested me (like the GL Batman).

I wouldn't want a regular Elseworlds or Multiverse title, but I'd welcome occasional one shots and minis. I could always read more about the Nazi Earth and the one with the kids with big heads.
        Right here, in Post #66.

http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/...t=24494&page=3

Comment

Originally posted by Trey Strain View Post
          Yeah, if by recurring you mean it goes on hiatus and comes back (or relaunches) sure. I wouldn't want a monthly (or twice-monthly) that's still around at issue 60. It would need to be kept fresh.

Comment

Yeah, if by recurring you mean it goes on hiatus and comes back (or relaunches) sure. I wouldn't want a monthly (or twice-monthly) that's still around at issue 60. It would need to be kept fresh.
            That's exactly what I mean by recurring minis. As I suggested in that thread, how it might work is to publish two issues of an Elseworlds title in, say, January, then two more in February. Then take ten months off and repeat the same sked the following year. You'd collect the eight issues in a TPB in July of the second year.

That would keep them fresh and special.

Each four-issue story would be numbered 1-4, 1-4, etc., instead of starting at #5 in the second year. Number ones of a given comic always sell better than number fives.

Any mini that didn't sell sufficiently well for two stories would be discontinued, at least for a while. But each would get eight issues -- two stories -- to prove itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I View Post
              I have no interest in more Elseworlds stories, but I would LOVE self contained multiverse miniseries.

Do a JSA mini series that takes place on the REAL pre-Crisis Earth 2. And self contained so it doesn't get messed with by other titles.

A Marvel Family story based on the classic Earth S!

A Charlton heroes team up story based on Earth 4 to finally wash that L.A.W. mini series out of my mouth.

A CSA mini series or one shot with the silver age Crime Syndicate of Earth 3.

A modern story on the real Earth 2 depicting children of the characters from Infinity Inc.
              I'd be game for almost everything you mentioned, Dave. That last one though, DAMN what an idea. I'd love to see the grandchildren of the JSA. I miss Brainwave and Nuklon...

I just think they could be putting more material out there since arguably two of their biggest films will be out this year. And all the multiverse stuff in the CW shows is putting the general idea of parallel worlds out their to even casual fans making it easier to understand. I don't care if it's minis, prestige format, one-shots, 80 Page Giants, or like the 90's Elseworlds Annuals.

For me I'd really like to see something with the DC 1 Million concept again, Earth 19 [Gotham by Gaslight universe], Stan Lee's DCU, and as Dave said before something with the WWII era JSA or the Infinity Inc era.

The only thing I think could work monthly, and even then it'd eventually lose that newness, is something with the Justice Incarnate or the Challengers From Beyond. It's basically an answer to Marvel's Exiles, and their last series went well over a hundred issues IIRC.

~//V\\~

Comment

Multiversity Too was suppose to explore the multiverse with Morrison writing the first book and then opening it up to other writers. I'm kind of assuming at this point that DC has shelved the idea to focus entirely on Rebirth kind of like they did with Earth One.

As for the idea that DC should just be pumping out more material I don't think that would be wise, they just bounced back somewhat with Rebirth, I don't really think the market is there for them to saturate the market.

Comment

Originally posted by Hypo View Post
                  Multiversity Too was suppose to explore the multiverse with Morrison writing the first book and then opening it up to other writers. I'm kind of assuming at this point that DC has shelved the idea to focus entirely on Rebirth kind of like they did with Earth One.

As for the idea that DC should just be pumping out more material I don't think that would be wise, they just bounced back somewhat with Rebirth, I don't really think the market is there for them to saturate the market.
                  Recurring minis won't saturate the market in the traditional sense. The infrequency of each one's publication will see to that. Four issues a year published over two months apiece for each mini? That's nothing.

But 24 minis published that way would be the equivalent four ongoings published twice-monthly, or eight ongoings published under the old monthly format. That will become a significant revenue source for the company.

You can give almost anything a chance as a mini and see what sells.

Comment

Originally posted by Hypo View Post
                    That's my thinking as well. I want DC to get the timeline on the main earth correct before they explore other earths.

Comment

Originally posted by "Chosen" View Post
                      That's my thinking as well. I want DC to get the timeline on the main earth correct before they explore other earths.
                      I'm personally not a fan at all of creating universes, but sometimes I do like self-contained Elseworld stories. Regardless, they could put both out there as minis and see what people like.

Comment

The other key point I made in another thread is that you could sell 24 recurring minis published on this schedule out of just four bins in the comics shops. Thus DC would need to make no additional expenditure for bins.

Comment

Originally posted by -//V\\- View Post
                          I'd be game for almost everything you mentioned, Dave. That last one though, DAMN what an idea. I'd love to see the grandchildren of the JSA. I miss Brainwave and Nuklon...

~//V\\~
                          I really like the idea. The JSA is already locked into the 1940s and 50s. Lock Infinity Inc's history into the 1980s and 90s. Then do a mini setting up the children of the Infinitors trying to make their own way with their own team.

You pretty much have nearly all of the original 22 JSAers have passed on from old age. Keep a few that can logically be alive around for quick cameos, like the Spectre, Dr Fate, and Wonder Woman. Everyone else is dead. The supporting cast can be the surviving former Infinitors, who are now the mentors to their kids.

Either Jade or Obsidian could have a son who inherits Alan's ring and lantern to be a new GL. Yolanda's daughter becomes a new Wildcat. Brainwave Jr could have a son or daughter on the team. Maybe Hector Hall had a son we never knew about that everybody expects to become the new Hawkman, but instead honors his father by becoming the new Silver Scarab in some revamp of the concept. Maybe Rick Tyler has a son who has powers that have manifested themselves in a dangerous way and is trying to keep his son off the team to not shorten his life. How about a son of Helena Wayne? The grandson of the golden age Batman on the team? The team could be a mix of passed down mantles and all new super hero personas. Place it in the 2018 of the REAL Earth 2, and don't do any multiverse crossing in the initial mini series.

I'd buy a 6 or 8 issue mini series based on that.

Comment

Working...
                          X