Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Hal deserve to stay in the spotlight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I call bullshit. Hal Jordan himself is one of those replacement heroes. John Stewart worked for ages. So did Kyle, if you like it or not. When Dick graduated to Nightwing, fans hated Jason but accepted Tim and Damian. Wally West had been Flash for 20 years and still would be if DC hadn't shat sugar into the tank.
    All you need is consistently great stories, and outside of the big three, it hardly matters if you replace the secret identity behind the mask or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Heide View Post
      I call bullshit. Hal Jordan himself is one of those replacement heroes. John Stewart worked for ages. So did Kyle, if you like it or not. When Dick graduated to Nightwing, fans hated Jason but accepted Tim and Damian. Wally West had been Flash for 20 years and still would be if DC hadn't shat sugar into the tank.
      All you need is consistently great stories, and outside of the big three, it hardly matters if you replace the secret identity behind the mask or not.
      I call bullshit. John NEVER worked. He had Mosaic which was steady,not great. Now Wally I will give you. Wally is the Seldom I was refreing to. Wally worked out best. Even that wasn't good enough though was it? People lunged at a chance to have Barry back didn't they?

Can some one else be A Green Lantern. certainly. But Thee Green Lantern. No not if the character is more then just superficial Powers or a writing Exercise. Pop culture is stubborn like that.

The trick with a "place holder" character is making them cool enough to grow beyond that,and some have and are great Editions to the DCU. The dream is the icon hero returning,and the "place Holder" getting a ongoing with steady -great sales. Kyle,Wally could do it.
      Take life with a Grain of salt and a shot of tequila!

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post
        Can that be the case when GL flourished without him at all for the 11 years with Kyle?
        Did it though really? My memories of the first half of the Kyle era, was two things. Kick ass art from Darryl Banks and secondly some sort of Hal appearance. He was as big a part in fact probably bigger of Kyle's book than Norman Osborne was in Ultimate Spider-Man, and the Green Goblin was in like every third arc.

Comment

No Kyle's run started hot and was steady,a few issues here and there would pop,but usually it was just steady until the last 5 years or so,It was never awful,but It was never "the Big Book" People talked about.

And when they did it was usually about 50 and how bad it was. That cover was tight,though. In fairness though Hal had a real bad showing in the 90's. There is not much nice to say about 90's Hal. The Emerald Dawn series was great,but the ongoing was bad. They were right to change it up.
          Take life with a Grain of salt and a shot of tequila!

Comment

Working...
          X