Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should San Diego Be Allowed To Trademark The Name Comic Con?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm more worried at this point about the clear implication of the decision (at least from your first post on it) that SDCC has the right now to object even to events calling themselves "comic conventions", even if they do not use the specific term "comic con".

Comment

I don't recall saying that SDCC would have the right to prevent other conventions from using the term "Comic Convention." I may have missed typed my thoughts. At any rate, I'd doubt that the SDCC would prevent other conventions from using "Comic Convention" in their name because of this excerpt from this article where:

Callie Bjurstrom, attorney for San Diego Comic-Con told jurors that Salt Lake Comic Con hijacked the Comic-Con trademark. ... saying “You don’t need to use ‘Comic-Con’ in your name to identify your comic and popular-arts convention… Convention is a generic term. Comic-Con is a brand."
      You just witnessed the strength of geek knowledge. N.W.A., Nerd With Attitude. Straight out of Vulcan!

Comment

Originally posted by Darth_Primus View Post
        I don't recall saying that SDCC would have the right to prevent other conventions from using the term "Comic Convention." I may have missed typed my thoughts. At any rate, I'd doubt that the SDCC would prevent other conventions from using "Comic Convention" in their name because of this excerpt from this article where:

Callie Bjurstrom, attorney for San Diego Comic-Con told jurors that Salt Lake Comic Con hijacked the Comic-Con trademark. ... saying “You don’t need to use ‘Comic-Con’ in your name to identify your comic and popular-arts convention… Convention is a generic term. Comic-Con is a brand."
        That's good to hear. And even better to hear from one of SDCC's lawyers, since that would give people something to point to if they tried.

I was referring to where you posted:

"In upholding the trademark, the Court ruling allows SDCC to seek licensing agreements with over 140 events in the US that call themselves comic conventions, or else require those events to rebrand."

I thought that was you quoting something official, and so I thought the court was granting them the right to force even events that called themselves "comic conventions" to stop doing so, unless they licensed it from SDCC. I would hope that you would agree THAT seems a bit too broad of a power to grant them.
        Mister Ed
        Horse of a Different Color
        Last edited by Mister Ed; 12-11-2017, 11:15 PM.

Comment

Oh, I totally agree. I do believe "comic convention" is generic term.
          You just witnessed the strength of geek knowledge. N.W.A., Nerd With Attitude. Straight out of Vulcan!

Comment

Phoenix Comicon Rebrands to Phoenix Comic Fest

But today they have announced that, due to the complications involved with using the term “comicon” after the lawsuit between the San Diego Comic-Con and Salt Lake Comic Con, going forward it will be known as the Phoenix Comic Fest.
            In recent months, the use of the word Comic-Con, and its many forms, has become litigious. We would prefer to focus on creating the best events and experiences for our attendees. Therefore, effective immediately, our event held annually in Phoenix in the spring will be rebranded as Phoenix Comic Fest. It will take the remainder of this week to transfer our website, social media sites, and other assets to the new name. In the meantime, we look forward to bringing you more guest announcements, more comic creators, more programming, and more excitement for 2018. In the coming weeks, look for announcements about our improved entry points and security, new partners, and more!

Comment

I just found this thread. I only skimmed it some, but I had no idea this was a thing. I actually did assume that all the other cities that have Comic Con were affiliated (like run by the same organization). None of them are?

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                I just found this thread. I only skimmed it some, but I had no idea this was a thing. I actually did assume that all the other cities that have Comic Con were affiliated (like run by the same organization). None of them are?
                Wow, I guess SDCC might have had more of a case than I thought, if you actually assumed that. I assumed the opposite, that they were just comic conventions using the logical generic term for such.

Some conventions WERE affiliated, but most were not.

(More are affiliated now than used to be, I think, as I believe that SDCC, in an attempt to bolster their claims in the suit, offered affiliation free of charge to some other Comic Cons, in return for those cons acknowledging that SDCC had a right to the term. That happened here in Portland, anyway.)

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                  Very few of them are affiliated, as it turns out. Reed Pop runs the most cons: NYCC, ECCC, PAX, C2E2, Star Wars Celebration and a few others, many of which are outside the US. Wizard World is its own entity, CCI runs SDCC and WonderCon. Salt Lake City Con has their own two conventions (SLCC and Fan Experience). AceCon has several shows scattered throughout the US. Besides the aforementioned, most other cons are small, singular, unaffiliated shows.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
                    Wow, I guess SDCC might have had more of a case than I thought, if you actually assumed that. I assumed the opposite, that they were just comic conventions using the logical generic term for such. Some conventions WERE affiliated, but most were not. . .
                    Originally posted by Sylent_Asassin View Post
                    Very few of them are affiliated, as it turns out. Reed Pop runs the most cons: NYCC, ECCC, PAX, C2E2, Star Wars Celebration and a few others, many of which are outside the US. Wizard World is its own entity, CCI runs SDCC and WonderCon. Salt Lake City Con has their own two conventions (SLCC and Fan Experience). AceCon has several shows scattered throughout the US. Besides the aforementioned, most other cons are small, singular, unaffiliated shows.
                    Well, I could be unusually gullible or it might be because I'm more familiar with horror conventions, which do have such branding. For instance, the one I usually go to is Monster Mania, but they have a convention in Philadelphia area and another in the Baltimore area. They both have the same name but with the city designation and I know for a fact they're run by the same company. Likewise, the biggest horror convention (Fangoria's Weekend of Horrors) has different conventions in Chicago, NY, and a main one in LA, but with the name.

Maybe because of that, I just assumed (without bothering to ever look it up) that NYCC was an east-coast offshoot of SDCC.

The biggest comic convention I ever went to was in Philadelphia called Comic Fest. Since it clearly wasn't trying to be Comic-Con and since I was aware of a whole other related convention set from Wizard World, I guess I always just assumed that if it had the same ending name it was the same organizers. [At least I assume Wizard World Chicago is still related to Wizard World Philadelphia.]

Lesson learned. On the other hand, I don't know that it means much. My thinking on what con to attend would be based more on location and guests, not so much "I recognize that name and trust it no matter where it is."
                    Space Cop
                    The Dandy
                    Last edited by Space Cop; 02-09-2018, 04:16 AM.

Comment

Update

Judge Issues "Comic-Con" Injunction

Goliath (San Diego) beats David (Salt Lake) as a judge wallops defendants on the verge of this year's convention with a trademark ban and a nearly $4 million attorneys' fee award.

In what may be the beginning of the end of the road for any self-described "Comic-Con" that doesn't take place in San Diego, a California federal judge has issued an injunction in one of the biggest trademark cases in the entertainment industry in years.

San Diego Comic Convention was the plaintiff taking on Dan Farr and Bryan Brandenburg, who ran the Salt Lake Comic Con. At a trial held last winter, San Diego prevailed on its contention that it held valid rights and that Salt Lake was infringing its trademarks. The jury didn't find willfulness, however, and only punished Salt Lake to the tune of $20,000 in corrective advertising.

Salt Lake asked U.S. District Court Judge Anthony Battaglia to put aside the ruling and order a new trial.

Instead, in a series of orders issued late Thursday, Battaglia has not only upheld the jury's verdict and issued an injunction, but ordered the defendants to pay almost $4 million in attorneys' fees and costs. The decision comes just a week before the Salt Lake convention was about to get underway. Thanks to this court case, it's already been rebranded the FanX Salt Lake Comic Convention.

Battaglia, in his order on an injunction, has enjoined Salt Lake from "Comic Con" and "Comic-Con" and any phonetic equivalents (i.e. ComiKon). Additionally, Farr and Brandenburg can't operate any social media site that incorporates the trademark, nor can they even advertise how the festival they run was "formerly known as Salt Lake Comic Con."

On the other hand, the judge rules it would go too far to prevent the phrase "comic convention" and won't require defendants to destroy all of their already-made merchandise and marketing materials bearing the banned phrases.

It's important to note that San Diego has sued or asserted claims against others who operated "Comic-Cons" around the nation — and most of those cases were put on hold for this one. San Diego vs. Salt Lake was a test case.

San Diego, the plaintiff, pushed for a new trial too because it was unhappy with the jury's finding of non-willfulness and wanted Salt Lake to disgorge profits. The judge doesn't think that's in order by pointing to evidence that included Brandenburg thinking it was ok to use "Comic Con" as others were doing it.

Nevertheless, San Diego has scored a huge coup in the order granting much of its attorneys' fee costs.

Battaglia concludes this is an "exceptional" case compared to run-of-the-mill trademark cases, and slams the defendants for making "repeated, re-argued, and recycled arguments" from having license to pushing a contention that "Comic Con" had become generic to framing the case both inside and outside the courtroom as San Diego's fraud on the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.

"Ultimately, resembling a broken record, DFP has repetitively restated and rehashed several contentions that they were unable to advance successfully prior to trial," writes the judge. "This type of cyclical motion practice is objectively unreasonable and has justified attorneys’ fees under the Lanham Act."

San Diego wanted about $5 million in attorney's fees and it will end up with 80 percent of the request.

While certainly a victory for San Diego, the attorney fee award could make an appeal more likely.

So, Rose City Comic-Con was wise to get a license from SDCC to avoid costly litigation.

And I wonder how many other conventions will fight for the right to use "Comic Con" now that this case decided the term is a recognized brand name and not some generic term.

Comment

I still think that this is going too far, since the court recognizes that the term "comic convention" cannot be trademarked, and the use of "con" as an abbreviation for convention is quite obviously standard and generic, used by conventions of all stripes for MANY years, since well before SDCC was a thing. Basically the court is saying that no comic convention can describe itself as what it actually is using a standard, generic abbreviation, but must spell it out, unlike every other kind of convention everywhere. Too broad.

Seems like it would have been more reasonable to punish SLCC for deliberate attempts to give the impression that they were connected to SDCC, which apparently went beyond the simple use of the term "Comic Con".

But is is clearly settled law now, so there's likely nothing to be done.

Comment

Well then it shouldn't be classified as "San Diego" comic con any more if it's a brand. I think by saying the city that they are in would classify it as not specific to that city and be a generic term. I like the one I just went to, they called it an Expo
                          Time,Space and Will Power

Comment

Working...
                          X