Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What has been the biggest downfall of GL comics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just get rid of Baz and I’ll be happy

Comment

You guys... lol.

Ok.. GL in the past five years, what are the issues..

Johns's last issue was May 22, 2013..

Robert Venditti has been the writer and overseer for the GL universe for the past five years.. we've all complained about his writing, how bland it is..

Can any name a good story written by Venditti? I can't..

Lights Out.. Trash
      Uprising.. Trash
      Godhead... Trash
      Renegade.. Trash

Now on to the art.. we had to deal with Billy Tan. Nuff said.

The only good artist we've had in the GL universe is Rafa Navadol

The issues with GL is writing and art. Not Johns or Baz or whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by "Chosen" View Post
        You guys... lol.

Ok.. GL in the past five years, what are the issues..

Johns's last issue was May 22, 2013..

Robert Venditti has been the writer and overseer for the GL universe for the past five years.. we've all complained about his writing, how bland it is..

Can any name a good story written by Venditti? I can't..

Lights Out.. Trash
        Uprising.. Trash
        Godhead... Trash
        Renegade.. Trash

Now on to the art.. we had to deal with Billy Tan. Nuff said.

The issues with GL is writing and art. Not Johns or Baz or whatever.
        I liked Lights Out and Godhead well enough. Godhead was probably the last story I've read. Though a good run shouldn't be determined by how good your mega-events are.

Come to think of it, are H&TGLC and GLs keeping to the 5 issue story arcs, with no "one and done" issues ever, still? Because that really hurt things, to me. I don't want to jump from 5 issue event to 5 issue event. I need some smaller, more intimate stuff from time to time.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post
          I liked Lights Out and Godhead well enough. Godhead was probably the last story I've read. Though a good run shouldn't be determined by how good your mega-events are.

Come to think of it, are H&TGLC and GLs keeping to the 5 issue story arcs, with no "one and done" issues ever, still? Because that really hurt things, to me. I don't want to jump from 5 issue event to 5 issue event. I need some smaller, more intimate stuff from time to time.
          It's the same old thing as ever. Nothing but arcs that are usually about the entire Corps facing some threat that seeks to usurp their position. There are no one and done stories. Or if there are, I'm forgetting them and there is only, like, one. I'm guessing the thinking is that those don't work as well for trade paperbacks. You're reflecting on a method from an era when not every story was collected in trade. Ultimately, there is very little room for character development, and what we do get is retreads of what we already know, nothing new.

Hal Jordan - Idolizes his deceased father.

John Stewart - Serious guy with no sense of fun or humor who usually just comes up with strategies in a command center. He's such a good strategist that he never has to fight. He just comes up with a plan that instantly negates everything he's against. I think this is supposed to make him seem awesome to make up for Venditti usually not doing anything with him, but to me it just = boring.

Kyle Rayner - I dunno'. Promoted/demoted back down to Green Lantern, but once Soranik left the scene, he doesn't seem to have anything to offer, despite getting more play than John or Guy.

Guy Gardner - Still dealing with getting beat by his dad, though that hardly ever comes up. Developed a friendship with Arkillo.

Most character development seems to go to the villains, like Soranik Natu and Tomar-Tu, and even what we see there isn't necessarily great. The heroes are all boring and they don't really advance as characters. They don't seem to have lives, and aside from that one arc with Soranik, they all seem to be happily asexual.
          Star-Lantern
          Weaponer of Qward
          Last edited by Star-Lantern; 06-15-2018, 06:07 AM.
          ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

Originally posted by Star-Lantern View Post
            . . . Guy Gardner - Still dealing with getting beat by his dad, though that hardly ever comes up. . .
            It's actually central to this week's comic. He just became a Darkstar and his first trip is to Baltimore to kill his dad.

Comment

Guy is going to kill his dad? Don't tell me they made Guy a Darkstar. They cant be back to doing that crap again.

Comment

Originally posted by "Chosen" View Post
                You're forgetting Ethan.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
                  Guy is going to kill his dad? Don't tell me they made Guy a Darkstar. They cant be back to doing that crap again.
                  Well, he's a Darkstar this month and the Darkstars are now like the Punishers of the GLU, but they left off with him about to kill his dad; so there's a good chance he'll be stopped next month.

Comment

So we can add Darkatar Guy Gardner to the long list of GL distraction super-gigs. Awesome.

Comment

Working...
                    X