General

Old 03-19-2019, 02:11 PM   #7701
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
Vanishing Point (1971)
"Patiently. That's the only way to wait for somebody."
This movie is very much a product of its time.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 03:20 PM   #7702
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Quote:
The family and I watched this and thought it was decent but not really necessary.
That sentiment seems to sum up all of Disney's live action remakes. I'm having a hard time envisioning a case in which remaking a classic Disney animated film in live action could make it better...
Old 03-19-2019, 03:28 PM   #7703
Space Cop
The Dandy

The Savage Killers [aka Tiger & Crane Fists] (1976)

"I don't understand why people have to die in such a terrible way."

Lesser-but-pretty-fun kung fu flick that happened to be the basis for Kung Pow. I like a bit where the hero plays through possible opening moves to fight the baddy.

Warning from Space (1956)

"We have observed you for thousands of years."

Some Like It Hot (1959)

"Why would a guy wanna marry a guy?
-Security!

Wilder's classic turned 60 today (so did Rio Bravo yesterday, but I ran out of time to watch it). I haven't seen this in years (I think since my college film class); forgot how funny it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
This movie is very much a product of its time.
Well, that probably could be said about every movie, but I know what you mean. It's at the tail-end of that first wave of counter culture flicks. I'm listening to the commentary now (seen this before, but borrowed the DVD from a friend) and am surprised to hear that both the lead actor and the particular make/model car was forced on the director (in the latter case he didn't have any problem with it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
That sentiment seems to sum up all of Disney's live action remakes. I'm having a hard time envisioning a case in which remaking a classic Disney animated film in live action could make it better...
Yeah, I was talking about that with my mother and thought The Sword in the Stone might be a good choice (though it won't be done since there's a new live-action young-Arthur movie) because (1) it's not as well known as it should be [though it's one of my favorites]; (2) as much as I dislike CGI-heavy movies, it could serve well for the transformation bits (or they could go a whole different direction with the magic).

Last edited by Space Cop; 03-22-2019 at 11:32 PM.
Space Cop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 03:39 PM   #7704
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

I wouldn't mind if they made a live-action Black Cauldron movie, but I wouldn't want them to base it on the Disney movie. I'd rather they go back to the actual book for that.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:35 PM   #7705
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Vanishing Point was remade in 1997 as a TV movie that got terrible reviews. I haven't seen the remake. Many movies can be remade with some updating, but this is a remake I wouldn't attempt, and for the same reason I wouldn't try to remake Easy Rider.
Old 03-21-2019, 01:21 PM   #7706
Space Cop
The Dandy

The Death of Superman (2018)

"Ha. Super touché."

A View to a Kill (1985)

"Well my dear, I take it you spend quite a lot of time in the saddle.
-Yes, I love an early morning ride.
Well, I'm an early riser myself."

Underworld (2003)

"You're acting like a pack of rabid dogs."

My werewolf pic for this month's full moon.

Quote:
Vanishing Point was remade in 1997 as a TV movie that got terrible reviews. I haven't seen the remake. Many movies can be remade with some updating, but this is a remake I wouldn't attempt, and for the same reason I wouldn't try to remake Easy Rider.
Yeah, I saw that when I was googling for a picture. Although I agree, I'm half curious enough to give it a try. Two things make me think I will: (1) it has Viggo Mortensen as Kowalski; (2) I can stream it on Youtube, which means I don't have to spend money or even watch it straight through (since I tend to stream movies while doing things like getting dressed, exercising, or eating lunch). At least they keep the 70 Challenger.

Hey, if they could attempt a TV series from Casablanca, nothing is safe.

Last edited by Space Cop; Yesterday at 11:53 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 06:37 PM   #7707
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

I recently watched another movie from that time frame -- Midnight Cowboy. Except for the marijuana party, it holds up very well and could easily be remade. It's quite topical, given the explosion of homelessness that's occurred in recent years.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:04 PM   #7708
Space Cop
The Dandy

Abre Los Ojos [Open Your Eyes] (1997)

"Dreams are never simple."

The Spanish original to the Tom-Cruise-starring Vanilla Sky. While I like the Cameron Crowe remake too, I'd have to say this original one edges it out. If you somehow don't know the twist to either watch it without reading up on it and suffice it to say it's a mystery/romance with surreal elements that will make sense by the end.

Vanishing Point (1997)

"When we are all criminals, who is free?"

Quote:
Quote:
...Yeah, I saw that when I was googling for a picture. Although I agree, I'm half curious enough to give it a try. Two things make me think I will: (1) it has Viggo Mortensen as Kowalski; (2) I can stream it on Youtube, which means I don't have to spend money or even watch it straight through (since I tend to stream movies while doing things like getting dressed, exercising, or eating lunch). At least they keep the 70 Challenger...
So, I did Youtube it. Not surprisingly, it was mostly pretty bad and missed the point. Not only do they give him a moral reason to go on the run (his wife is dying) but he actually pulls over for the fist cop.

Last edited by Space Cop; Today at 12:14 AM.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:46 PM   #7709
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

I'll give it a chance some time from now, when it comes in from Netflix and I watch it with my dad.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:57 PM   #7710
Space Cop
The Dandy

The Hard Way (2019)

"It's technically not a fight if I'm the only one giving the blows."

Action filler (straight-to-stream, I think). Best bit is MJW being himself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Purple View Post
I'll give it a chance some time from now, when it comes in from Netflix and I watch it with my dad.
But you've seen the original, right? Because I really don't think you want the TV re-make to be your first Vanishing Point.

Last edited by Space Cop; Today at 12:16 AM.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:08 AM   #7711
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Not yet, no. I can probably find time to watch it before I see the remake, but it won't be anytime soon for either of them (the remake is way down on my queue anyway).
Old Yesterday, 11:54 PM   #7712
Space Cop
The Dandy

Hellboy (2004)

"In the absence of light, darkness prevails. There are things that go bump in the night, Agent Myers. Make no mistake about that. And we are the ones who bump back."

Watched this again with the family in honor of Hellboy Day (25th anniversary of the comic).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Purple View Post
Not yet, no. I can probably find time to watch it before I see the remake, but it won't be anytime soon for either of them (the remake is way down on my queue anyway).
Well, just be aware that despite lots of chase action, the original VP isn't so much carslpoitation (like Gone in 60 Seconds) as counterculture man vs. world that uses a car. It's more cerebral than most car movies, but it's still a must see for chase fans and 70s muscle car movie fans.
Old Today, 04:20 AM   #7713
robojac
Parallax Host

Cowboys & Aliens: Extended Edition (2011)

robojac is offline   Reply With Quote