The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > General > General/About Us
FLASHCHAT

General

Old 12-21-2011, 06:42 PM   #1
Darth_Andrea
Owned by Natu

Send a message via MSN to Darth_Andrea
Default A Call To Arms And Action STOP SOPA!

I don't have access to Qward so I don't know if its being talked about there or not. However there is a MASSIVE legislative threat to free speech and internet freedom, security and functionally.

SOPA or "Stop Online Piracy Act" from the U.S. House Of Reps, along with it's sister bill from the U.S. Senate the "Protect IP Act" will destroy the internet as we know it. It totally undermines and removes the DMCA free use rules and gives corporations free license to censor the internet.

It allows a "Rights Holder" to file a claim against a website to the hosting service of that site and have it removed completely and have it blacked out via DNS Blocking along with a requirement that Google, Bing, Yahoo, and other search services delist those sites from their crawlers. Sites such has Youtube, Facebook, Photobucket, Myspace, Twitter, and personal blog sites could and possible will be taken down as a result of these new regulations.

The bills in their current forms allow for no grace period, no judicial oversight and no ability to fight the copyright claim. SOPA also allows for criminal charges to be filed and sentencing to federal prison time for copyright infrindgment as specified by the "Rights Holder".

Let me make this clear, Whole sites will be taken down for a claim for content on a single page. Even if said content was user created and posted. The Sites Will Be Closed. This would also effect this site. DC or WB could make claims against the images we have on this site of their copyrighted characters.

I urge everyone to get involved, either yourself or if your underage your parents to call your federal representatives in DC. Voice your opposition to these bills.

You can find both of these bills located on this page.

http://keepthewebopen.com/sopa

Also there was a article posted that lists members of the House and Senate who have been basically bought off for their votes on these bills. There is a full list in this article. If they represent your district or state make a louder noise and tell them you do not approve of them taking money from fundraisers run by lobbyists.

Article Here http://reporting.sunlightfoundation....A-consponsors/

Darth_Andrea

Last edited by Darth_Andrea; 12-21-2011 at 06:45 PM.
Darth_Andrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 07:10 PM   #2
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

i talked about this for how long and people called me crazy

but hopefully everyone will wake up to you andy

I felt a great disturbance in the force, as if millions of WWE Network subscriptions were suddenly cancelled.
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 07:29 PM   #3
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

also andy this may be old but still worth a look imo

it all ties tiogether

The Internet 'Kill Switch' Bill: What It Is, and Why It Won't Die

http://www.switched.com/2011/02/01/i...t-is-wont-die/

I felt a great disturbance in the force, as if millions of WWE Network subscriptions were suddenly cancelled.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:37 PM   #4
Razorgod
Anti-Monitor

Send a message via Yahoo to Razorgod Send a message via Skype™ to Razorgod

It's already been delayed until next year due to overwhelming opposition to the bill...and there has already been something like 30 different amendments propositioned but voted down. This sounds dismal, but it's actually a good sign that it won't make it up the pipe.

I'm more worried about compromising to get the bill passed, that never ends well but it's those compromises that get shit like this passed....well compromise or attaching it to military spending....
His endless obsession
With superpositional pussy.
Razorgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 07:53 PM   #5
Darth_Andrea
Owned by Natu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorgod View Post
It's already been delayed until next year due to overwhelming opposition to the bill...and there has already been something like 30 different amendments propositioned but voted down. This sounds dismal, but it's actually a good sign that it won't make it up the pipe.

I'm more worried about compromising to get the bill passed, that never ends well but it's those compromises that get shit like this passed....well compromise or attaching it to military spending....
I has not been delayed, the hearings were postponed till January 11th while Congress breaks for the holidays. That is all.

And yes SOPA may die how ever it's sister bill from the Senate "Protect IP Act" is as bad if not worse than SOPA. Both bills MUST be stopped. Otherwise were all going to be under a mountain of restrictions as to what we can put online and be safe from civil and criminal charges.

Darth_Andrea
Old 12-21-2011, 08:02 PM   #6
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche

Yo.

I posted about this back in mid-Nov here in GenChat, and I think Tazz shit brixx over it a month or 2 b4 that......

not that I aint concerned, but *I am* thinking about ways to get around it.

Tazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:08 PM   #7
CYLON (13)
Alpha-Lantern

So, I call my representative and say, what?

Stop it.

Seriously, I don't want to look like a complete tool.
Also, wasting their time. I don't want to do that.
"Don't disturb the beast" A Perfect Circle
*Forgiveness does not change the past, but it does enlarge the future.*
CYLON (13) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:12 PM   #8
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYLON (13) View Post

Stop it.

Actually you wouldn't look like a complete tool, you'd be surprised at how helpful calling your representative can be.

Also: https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petition...ation/g3W1BscR
Hypo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:52 PM   #9
Razorgod
Anti-Monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Andrea View Post
[B][COLOR="Cyan"]I has not been delayed, the hearings were postponed till January 11th while Congress breaks for the holidays. That is all.
Actually, they did CANCEL the last day of talks on the issue after a flood of petitions and such....it made the news last week. It wasn't JUST a scheduled break....
His endless obsession
Old 12-21-2011, 09:00 PM   #10
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Actually, they did CANCEL the last day of talks on the issue after a flood of petitions and such....it made the news last week. It wasn't JUST a scheduled break....
that dosent mean shit though razor because how many times have people called there congressmen and doing petitions succeeded within the last 3 years?

Old 12-21-2011, 09:03 PM   #11
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazzMission View Post
that dosent mean shit though razor because how many times have people called there congressmen and doing petitions succeeded within the last 3 years?
Well, there was this one time that a flood of petitions and such caused Congress to change its plans about the last day of talks over a particular issue.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:04 PM   #12
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Purple View Post
Well, there was this one time that a flood of petitions and such caused Congress to change its plans about the last day of talks over a particular issue.
care to speak on it?

what particular issue?

Old 12-21-2011, 09:13 PM   #13
JohnnyV
Pictionary Master

I'm not worried, because this will never come into fruition. Don't get me wrong, it's completely backwards and those who tried to get the bill moving should be pointed at and ridiculed. However, the chances that will have an effect on anything is really slim.

There's a difference between worried about something that could actually happen, and being worried about something for the sake of being worried.

Follow The Nobodies Comic on Facebook or Twitter
JohnnyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:20 PM   #14
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyV View Post
I'm not worried, because this will never come into fruition. Don't get me wrong, it's completely backwards and those who tried to get the bill moving should be pointed at and ridiculed. However, the chances that will have an effect on anything is really slim.

There's a difference between worried about something that could actually happen, and being worried about something for the sake of being worried.
dosent mean it still cant happen johnny

for all we know they can make it sound nice and sexy like hey let us control the internet and we will promise to stop online predators and idenitey theft.

the way to sell it to the public is based on how it sounds because if they flat out say ok heres the real intention they know for a fact a big backlash will happen.

now a days people let there congressmen and media think for them because they (people) are to lazy to go out and do the research on there own and think on there own.
ps. why do i get the feeling people thought this was one of my threads and now leave dissapointed?

Old 12-21-2011, 09:30 PM   #15
The British Lantern
Not A Moderator

I remember posting about this ages a go in the old gamer thread and then tazz making a thread about it in Qward and it became apart of the crazy conspiracy thread.... anyway this needs to be stooped. Carry on.
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:31 PM   #16
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The British Lantern View Post
I remember posting about this ages a go in the old gamer thread and then tazz making a thread about it in Qward and it became apart of the crazy conspiracy thread.... anyway this needs to be stooped. Carry on.
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1w6GtwOvnWM#![/YOUTUBE]
has this passed in britain yet?

Old 12-21-2011, 09:35 PM   #17
The British Lantern
Not A Moderator

Not that i know but some ISP have been court ordered to block sties
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/inte...ocks-newzbin2/

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/12...king_newzbin2/
Old 12-21-2011, 09:37 PM   #18
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The British Lantern View Post

:sigh: this is what im afraid of

next thing they will want to censor things like certain politicians are idiots next because it's "" offensive""

Old 12-21-2011, 09:37 PM   #19
Darth_Andrea
Owned by Natu

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYLON (13) View Post

Stop it.

Actually I recommend you read the bills, see where their flaws are then call or write. That way your informed and don't sound like some random idiot

Darth_Andrea
Old 12-21-2011, 09:37 PM   #20
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Andrea View Post
Actually I recommend you read the bills, see where their flaws are then call or write. That way your informed and don't sound like some random idiot

Darth_Andrea
just easier to say tazz 2.0 andy lol

Old 12-21-2011, 09:50 PM   #21
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe

Sopa goes against America's right to have a voice. Destroy it, we must destroy Sopa. It is the fowl scum of the earth.
Mister.Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:56 PM   #22
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Quote:
:sigh: this is what im afraid of

next thing they will want to censor things like certain politicians are idiots next because it's "" offensive""
See, I see that as kind of a big logical leap to make. I agree that such things have potential for abuse, and need to be VERY carefully worded, but those particular examples are exactly the sort of things such laws are designed for, not an example of possible abuse and unintended consequences.

I suspect that most citizens aren't opposed to the idea of blocking sites whose whole purpose is to help you download free content illegally.

The danger that must be emphasized if one wants to get the Average Joe to oppose these kinds of things is the possibility of abusing the law to shut down sites just because you don't like them.

However, that said, while I agree that such extreme cases ARE possible, and are a reason to make SURE any such legislation is carefully worded and NARROW in focus, I also think that it is highly unlikely that the passage of such legislation, even if NOT carefully crafted, is going to lead to some kind of massive crackdown on the internet. Why? Because even the people not convinced of the danger ahead of time will ABSOLUTELY scream bloody murder if such things actually happen, and it isn't like they are putting this stuff in as Constitutional Amendments. All it will take to change it is Congress passing NEW legislation. Which they absolutely WILL do if their constituents are calling them all pissed off because all the social media sites have been shut down arbitrarily, or somesuch.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:57 PM   #23
Razorgod
Anti-Monitor

Quote:
what particular issue?
Seriously, Tazz? Here's a hint, the answer the question you seek is on page 1 of this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
Why? Because even the people not convinced of the danger ahead of time will ABSOLUTELY scream bloody murder if such things actually happen, and it isn't like they are putting this stuff in as Constitutional Amendments. All it will take to change it is Congress passing NEW legislation.
Yeah, I remember what happened after they passed the Patriot Act....it's easy to get legislation that works around Due Process repealed.
His endless obsession

Last edited by Razorgod; 12-21-2011 at 10:01 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:07 PM   #24
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Quote:
Yeah, I remember what happened after they passed the Patriot Act....it's easy to get legislation that works around Due Process repealed.
Ah, but in that case they worked hard to try to convince people that it was necessary, and succeeded for a whole lot of people. The reason that doesn't get repealed is PRECISELY because the majority of the American people weren't convinced it NEEDED repealing.

But you start messing with people's internet? Sad to say, but I think that would piss off a lot more people than the effects of the Patriot Act, mainly because it would become THEIR problem, instead of "somebody else's" problem. And they wouldn't have anything as compellingly scary as "terrorist threats" to hold over the people to try to justify its necessity.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:11 PM   #25
Razorgod
Anti-Monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
Ah, but in that case they worked hard to try to convince people that it was necessary, and succeeded for a whole lot of people. The reason that doesn't get repealed is PRECISELY because the majority of the American people weren't convinced it NEEDED repealing.

That's horseshit and we both know it. As soon as people read what was in the Patriot Act they were skeptical, but it was passed at a time where people were uptight over terrorist threats.

Once cooler heads prevailed people spoke out, including our current President, and yet it keeps getting extended.

The point is that assuming that constitution violations will be addressed through the court system is bullshit....especially when the constitutional right being violated is the 4th.

I don't want to get going on the Patriot Act, it's just an example of how you need to speak out before laws get made. It's easier to pass laws than it is to get them thrown out.
His endless obsession