The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > General > Games & Humor
FLASHCHAT

Games and Humor

Old 01-02-2016, 01:59 PM   #1
Space Cop
The Dandy

Default 2016 Reading Challenge

Alright, so one person said they're trying it, one said they won't but will check into it, and another said they might. Seems like enough for a thread (it can always die later). So, from PopSugar, here's the all new

2016 Reading Challenge

This year's challenge is a bit shorter than 2015 (which featured 49 challenges over 52 titles). This one features 40 challenges over 41 titles (one requires reading two books). As with last year's, it's quite possible to cover two or more challenges with one book.

The pic from the page is rather large, so here's a resized one.

Last edited by Space Cop; 01-02-2016 at 02:01 PM.
Space Cop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 05:48 PM   #2
kazzar
Guardian Of The Galaxy

I think it goes without saying that I did not in any way complete the challenge last year. That was mainly due to my depression and anxiety getting in the way of a lot of things last year. But I'm starting to get help with it. I started seeing my doctor about it around 5 weeks ago, and I'm currently on meds for it, and will hopefully start counselling soon. Since reading has always been quite therapeutic in the past and I have always loved to do so, I will absolutely be taking part in the challenge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar Aang
When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.
kazzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 02:35 PM   #3
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

A book written by a comedian and A New York Times Bestseller and A Book Written by a Celebrity

Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang by Chelsea Handler

Quick read. Funny lady.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:29 AM   #4
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

BOOKS READ

Comments: Quick read. Funny lady. Will definitely grab more of her books.
Categories Covered: A book written by a comedian and A New York Times Bestseller and A Book Written by a Celebrity

BOOKS BEING READ

Meat Market: Inside the Smash-Mouth World of College Football Recruiting by Bruce Feldman
Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard
Old 01-14-2016, 11:34 PM   #5
Space Cop
The Dandy

For those doing this, you may find the following helpful:

#1 New York Times Best Sellers

National Book Awards Winners

Oprah's Book Club Selections
Old 01-15-2016, 09:40 PM   #6
Space Cop
The Dandy

Books Read
(1) Tales of Beedle the Bard by JK Rowling counts for (a) Young Adult Bestseller; (b) a book I can read in a day [though I took two because I started it late]; and (c) a book under 150 pages
(2) 84 Charing Cross Road by Helene Haff counts as (d) a book recommended by a family member [my mother]. It would also count for b+c again. I'm penciling it in for (e) a book set in Europe, though I'll probably cover that in a more legitimate way since this is only correspondence between a person in NYC and people in London.

I always read the Bible through the course of the year (for the past decade or more) and if I don't cover the categories separately, that will count as a book over 600 pages; a book translated to English; and a book more than a hundred years older than me.

Last edited by Space Cop; 01-15-2016 at 09:43 PM.
Old 01-20-2016, 12:11 PM   #7
W.West

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.West View Post
BOOKS READ

Categories Covered: A book written by a comedian and A New York Times Bestseller and A Book Written by a Celebrity

Comments: Its Hunger Games with superpowers but less kids killing and more romance but poorly developed romance. I called the plot twist a mile away. The sequel comes out this year.
Categories Covered: A Young Adult Bestseller and A dystopian novel

BOOKS BEING READ

Meat Market: Inside the Smash-Mouth World of College Football Recruiting by Bruce Feldman

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley
Updated
Old 01-20-2016, 12:55 PM   #8
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Updated
Well, you have a strong start.

I'm about to finish Who's Afraid of Virgina Woolf?, which I'm counting for a book with a blue cover, a satiric book, and a classic from the 20th century (though I'll probably read a couple of those).
Old 01-20-2016, 01:06 PM   #9
W.West

I'm perusing the Oprah's Book Club list...this is going to be hard.
Old 01-30-2016, 03:56 AM   #10
Space Cop
The Dandy

Just finished Dashiell Hammett's The Maltese Falcon, which I count for a murder mystery and a backup for a 20th century classic.

Currently reading SR Slaymaker II's Five Miles Away: The Story of the Lawrenceville School as a book from the library and a book set in my home state (NJ). It's also retroactively part of the 2015 Challenge as a book set in my hometown (one of only three or so I'm aware of).

On and off I'm also reading The Poems and Prose Poems of Charles Baudelaire as my poetry book and as a translated work.

Quote:
I'm perusing the Oprah's Book Club list...this is going to be hard.
I see she has three Faulkner books there, one of which I didn't read, so I might go that route.

The hardest one for me I think will be "a book recommended by someone you just met." That has happened a few times in my life, but pretty rarely. To get that accomplished I think I'll have to force it (like maybe if a book store clerk recommends something and I follow by introducing myself, which is hard for introverted me). I mean how many people do you meet and follow up with "can you recommend any good books?"

Last edited by Space Cop; 02-09-2016 at 02:44 AM.
Old 03-06-2016, 01:00 PM   #11
Space Cop
The Dandy

In the other thread, you can see that I recently read Dietrich Bonhoeffer's The Cost of Discipleship. I'm counting that for (1) A self-improvement book; and (2) a backup for a book translated to English.

Next up is Peter David's Star Trek: Next Generation novel Imzadi. This is a trifecta, counting for (1) a romance set in the future; (2) a New York Times Bestseller; and (3) a book guaranteed to bring you joy (I generally enjoy all Trek books, but David is my favorite writer and Riker my favorite Next Gen character).

Including the Bible reading I'll be doing throughout the year, when I finish this one I will have covered 21 of the 41 categories.

Last edited by Space Cop; 03-06-2016 at 01:03 PM.
Old 03-06-2016, 01:29 PM   #12
W.West

Quote:
BOOKS READ

Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang
by Chelsea Handler

Comments: Its Hunger Games with superpowers but less kids killing and more romance but poorly developed romance. I called the plot twist a mile away. The sequel comes out this year.

Hard Choices by Hilary Clinton
Comments: I'll likely never read another Political memoir again. A lot of "I did this. I said this. I loved this. We didn't get along BUT..." And I was really upset when this clocked in just under 600 pages.
Categories Covered: A Political Memoir

BOOKS BEING READ

Meat Market: Inside the Smash-Mouth World of College Football Recruiting
by Bruce Feldman

Glass Sword by Victoria Aveyard

God's War by Kameron Hurley
Updated! I'm so far behind you its embarrassing. I've been watching too much television.
Old 03-06-2016, 08:10 PM   #13
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Updated! I'm so far behind you its embarrassing. I've been watching too much television.
Well, it certainly helps that I don't watch TV, but probably more so that I don't have a job.

The categories will also slow down as I run out of multiple-category entries.
Old 03-11-2016, 01:43 AM   #14
W.West

Quote:
BOOKS READ

Hard Choices
by Hilary Clinton
Comments: I'll likely never read another Political memoir again. A lot of "I did this. I said this. I loved this. We didn't get along BUT..." And I was really upset when this clocked in just under 600 pages.

by Bruce Feldman
Comments: Such a great read. Its a few years old, so its even better knowing the people discussed turned out to be relevant or irrelevant. A must read for any college football fan.
Categories Covered: A Book from the Library, A Book with a Blue Cover

BOOKS BEING READ

God's War by Kameron Hurley

Reaching Higher: Mark Dantonio and the Rise of Michigan State Football
Updated. I finished Meat Market and added Reaching Higher: Mark Dantonio and the Rise of Michigan State Football but it won't be out until April.
Old 03-22-2016, 02:40 AM   #15
Space Cop
The Dandy

Finished the ST book and am now reading the 1990 Young Adult novel Invitation to the Game by Monica Hughes. Counting this for a book (1) where the protagonist has the same "occupation" as me (namely, unemployed); (2) takes place during the summer (there is one short chapter that summarizes Fall-Winter, but the rest occurs between May and August); and (3) a dystopian novel. It's also a backup sci-fi and library book.

EDIT: finished that and now am about to finish crowd-funded World War Kaiju Book One (by Josh Finny and Patrick McEvoy) as my (1) graphic novel. It's the first gn I've read this year (not counting just oversized comics or trades).

Last edited by Space Cop; 04-01-2016 at 12:47 PM.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:01 AM   #16
W.West

Quote:
BOOKS READ

Hard Choices
by Hilary Clinton

by Bruce Feldman
Comments: Such a great read. Its a few years old, so its even better knowing the people discussed turned out to be relevant or irrelevant. A must read for any college football fan.

Uncommon Criminals by Ally Carter
Comments: Fun book. A good sequel to a really fun book and while this is a bit cheesy with the romance stuff, everything heist centered is just lovely.
Categories Covered: A Book That Takes Place on an Island

Reaching Higher: Mark Dantonio and the Rise of Michigan State Football by The State News
Comments: Lots of pictures and lots of praise for the head football coach of the Michigan State Spartans. That's about all I can say about this. Nothing special, and certainly not worth the 20 bucks I paid for it. Maybe if the team had won the National Championship, it could hold a sentimental value or something but I'm not even a fan of the team, just an admirer of the coach and I'm still left unimpressed.
Categories Covered: A Book Set in Your Home State, A Book Published in 2016

BOOKS BEING READ

The Light Between Oceans by M. L. Stedman

Perfect Scoundrels by Ally Carter
Updated. I finished Uncommon Criminals on Friday and Reaching Higher on Saturday morning.
Old 07-28-2016, 03:17 AM   #17
Space Cop
The Dandy

UPDATED

After finishing this one, I'll only have six categories left and my next one will be a quick read.

Now, I'm reading The Jungle Books by Rudyard Kipling, which is a book becoming a movie this year. If I don't read something else that fits better, I'm counting it for the unfamiliar culture (Indian) category, which I could even do for Takei's since I learned about Japanese American culture and what life was like in internment especially.

I read The Treasure Hunt by Bill Cosby, which yes is a little kid's book and took about ten minutes, but I "read" it because it seemed somehow weird (like a sociology experiment) to read a possible rapist's kid's book and (more importantly) because it counted for two quick categories: (1) An Oprah Book Club selection; and obviously (2) a book written by a comedian (the book I'd like to read I'll have to pick up second-hand online and I'm in no rush).

I read To the Stars: The Autobiography of George Takei as my autobiography choice (also a backup celeb book).

I read William Shatner's Leonard, which will count as (1) a book written by a celebrity; and in (2) this year.

I read Eiji Tsuburaya: Master of Monsters by August Ragone, which I'll count for a book recommended by someone I just met. I had the book recommended to me by several people (including the author ), one or two of which I'm pretty sure was on the day I met them.

I read Spade and Archer by Joe Gores, which covers the prequel portion of the challenge a book (The Maltese Falcon) and its prequel, finishing it. Both were mysteries.
Old 07-28-2016, 04:05 AM   #18
W.West

PACE YOURSELF! You're making me look bad.
Old 08-27-2016, 02:09 PM   #19
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
PACE YOURSELF! You're making me look bad.
Well, since it took me a long time to finish the children's book (it was two volumes), I guess I did. Next up is Little Red Riding Hood: A Casebook (ed. by Alan Dundes), which I'm counting for a book based on a fairy tale. It has the alternate bonus of making up one of last year's categories (I'm sort of trying to make up the 2015's Challenge too): a title with a color in it.

Finished Virginia M. Wright's Route 1 Maine for a Road Trip book.

Last edited by Space Cop; 09-07-2016 at 08:17 PM.
Old 09-13-2016, 04:15 AM   #20
W.West

Quote:
BOOKS READ

Hard Choices
by Hilary Clinton

by Bruce Feldman

Comments: Fun book. A good sequel to a really fun book and while this is a bit cheesy with the romance stuff, everything heist centered is just lovely.

Reaching Higher: Mark Dantonio and the Rise of Michigan State Football by The State News
Comments: Lots of pictures and lots of praise for the head football coach of the Michigan State Spartans. That's about all I can say about this. Nothing special, and certainly not worth the 20 bucks I paid for it. Maybe if the team had won the National Championship, it could hold a sentimental value or something but I'm not even a fan of the team, just an admirer of the coach and I'm still left unimpressed.

How to Write a Novella in 24 Hrs by Andrew Mayne
Comments: Great for the price but I doubt it actually gets any creativity flowing for me.
Categories Covered: A Book That's Under 150 Pages, A Self Improvement Book, A Book You Can Finished in a Day

BOOKS BEING READ

A World of Ice and Fire The Untold History of Westeros and the Game of Thronesby George R R Martin

The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo by Amy Schumer
Updated! FINALLY! Slight progress.
Old 09-13-2016, 12:40 PM   #21
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Updated! FINALLY! Slight progress.
Good. At least I'm not the only one trying.

Finished the above and Harry Potter and the Cursed Child by JK Rowling, John Tiffany, and Jack Thorne, which is my choice for the first book I saw in a bookstore.

Now, I just started (barely) Tom Wolfe's The Right Stuff, which is a National Book Award winner (as a bonus, it's also a category I missed last year (I'm half heartedly aiming to finish that too)--a book from the year I was born, 1979.

When I'm done this, I'll only have two categories left, but I know the one (political memoir) will bog me down.

Last edited by Space Cop; 09-19-2016 at 01:22 PM.
Old 09-19-2016, 05:12 AM   #22
W.West

Quote:
BOOKS READ

Hard Choices
by Hilary Clinton

by Bruce Feldman

Comments: Great for the price but I doubt it actually gets any creativity flowing for me.
Categories Covered: A Book That's Under 150 Pages, A Self Improvement Book, A Book You Can Finished in a Day

Comments: Better than the first novel, which I mention above is a poor attempt to do Harry Potter and Hunger Games at once. Its the second novel that sheds that skin and becomes something that feels truly original.
Categories Covered: A Science Fictional Novel, A Book and its Prequel

BOOKS BEING READ

Cane Mutiny: How the Miami Hurricanes Overturned the Football Establishment by Bruce Feldman

A World of Ice and Fire The Untold History of Westeros and the Game of Thronesby George R R Martin

Updated again.
Old 10-13-2016, 04:05 PM   #23
Space Cop
The Dandy

Finally on to the political memoir with Ronald Reagan in Private by Jim Kuhn, who was his personal assistant.
Old 10-14-2016, 03:34 AM   #24
W.West

Quote:
BOOKS READ

Hard Choices
by Hilary Clinton

by Bruce Feldman

Comments: Better than the first novel, which I mention above is a poor attempt to do Harry Potter and Hunger Games at once. Its the second novel that sheds that skin and becomes something that feels truly original.
Categories Covered: A Science Fictional Novel, A Book and its Prequel

Comments: Hilariously funny and inspiring. She never hits you over the hit with a preachy "You can do it!" sermon or catchphrase but her story is filled with a bunch of "Don't repeat the same mistakes I did, please." lessons amidst the comedy.
Categories Covered: An Autobiography

BOOKS BEING READ

Cane Mutiny: How the Miami Hurricanes Overturned the Football Establishment by Bruce Feldman

Updated with me finishing Amy Schumer's book.
Old 11-08-2016, 03:36 AM   #25
Space Cop
The Dandy

I finished my last category (a book you haven't read since high school) with JD Salinger's The Catcher in the Rye. However, I won't really be done until I finish my through-the-Bible-in-a-year readings next month since that would appear to be the only book I'm reading over 600 pages.

Next, I think I'll try to knock off the categories I missed from last year's challenge.

Last edited by Space Cop; 11-12-2016 at 03:13 AM.