Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relaunch JL vs. Green Lantern Vol 5. #1

So, off the bat, no spoilers please!

I just read Justice League #1 of the new 52. It wasn't bad and I have the new GL #1 waiting for me. However, I'm a bit confused and I'm hoping someone can shed some light (without spoilers) about this situation.

As I understand it, the new JL takes place 5 years ago. Hal Jordan is the current GL there. This is accepted as a fact and I'm ok with that. HOWEVER, before I even start GL #1, I'm confused about some continuity stuff. Specifically, if GL #1 takes place right after the War of the Green Lanterns, where Sinestro is a GL, and Hal has been kicked out of the Corps. Therein lies my questions:

1) Does the current GL series exist within the same continuity/universe as the current JL? If so, then will we be told how Hal was a GL 5 years ago and was kicked out, and now Sinestro is? If that's the case, do we ignore/forget that Hal was kicked out because of the stuff that happened with the War of the Green Lanterns?

Right now, I see it as a conflict. All the new comics in the relaunch are supposed to be within the same universe/continuity. But as I see it right now, GL is a continuation of the last GL series (which is fine by me) and JL is a whole new can of super powered worms.

ANY light on this would be GREATLY appreciated! !

Originally posted by DarkSuperman View Post
    As I understand it, the new JL takes place 5 years ago.
    Yes. For now.

Hal Jordan is the current GL there. This is accepted as a fact and I'm ok with that.
    Yes.

1) Does the current GL series exist within the same continuity/universe as the current JL?
    Of course.

If so, then will we be told how Hal was a GL 5 years ago and was kicked out,
    In passing, if that.

and now Sinestro is?
    GL #1 touches on that without getting into all the nitty gritty details of the circumstances.

If that's the case, do we ignore/forget that Hal was kicked out because of the stuff that happened with the War of the Green Lanterns?
    No, but it's been deemed not critical for new readers to understand.

Right now, I see it as a conflict. All the new comics in the relaunch are supposed to be within the same universe/continuity. But as I see it right now, GL is a continuation of the last GL series (which is fine by me) and JL is a whole new can of super powered worms.
    Some series get full reboots, others have their continuity pretty much completely untouched. GL is one of those series that gets left untouched. JL will eventually snap back to the present, at which time Hal will already be a GL again.

Comment

I'm not crazy about the JL GL (ha ha). The book itself is a poor imitation of the early Marvel superhero books. The costume changes across the board scream "minor tweaks to forestall impending legal battles." Hal acts like he's 21. It's just not very interesting for me.

Comment

All you need to know is the new Justice League book sucks.

Comment

DC has said the Bat books and the GL continuity from the past few years is in tact as much as it is confusing. They have said some of the past events such as the New Teen Titans having been formed and disbanded and Superman dying are being worked in as having happened. Then again DC has also said there were no Crisis level events in the past history of the DCnU which sheds doubt on the events of Darkest Night/Brightest Day and Flash Reborn.

It is a mess that DC seems to have no idea how to deal with and spent no time planning out. All we can know for sure is Hal was a GL 5 years ago. John and Guy became Lanterns shortly after. Hal had adventures and went crazy. Kyle became a GL and eventually Hal came back and had adventures leading to a war of the light and eventually Sinestro gets a chance at redemption. Which is where we are at now.

Comment

Working...
          X