The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern Vol. 2
FLASHCHAT

GL Volume 2

Old 12-06-2011, 05:04 PM   #1
Whitey
Corpse Trainee

Default Green Lantern Omnibus Volumes

This September DC released the vol. 2 of their Green Lantern Omnibus series. Is it clear if the will release the whole vol. 2 in this format? As far as I know, there are 218 books released in vol. 2 and the two omnibus volumes collect the first 45 issues (the showcase nummers not counted).

What do you think, will they release the whole vol. 2? I mean, they have to release about five more omnibus books to cover all the issues. I don't know if this would be worth for DC, but I would like to have 'em all
Whitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 05:10 PM   #2
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

I'm hoping they'll release at least #3, since the Archive line has probably permanently stalled. I'm still annoyed that they don't break Omnibus #2 at the same point as Archive #6, so now if I DO get Omnibus #3 (assuming they make one) it will have duplicate issues from my last Archive.

Omnibus #3 would take them to a natural breaking point just before GL/GA starts.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:14 AM   #3
TorchBearer2814
Corps Honor Guard

i have the first. I plan on getting the 2nd. I want them to collect all the original issues so this would be the best way to go imo.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:42 AM   #4
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I bought both of them. After my disgust that DC yet again abandoned one format to start another subsided, I really fell in love with the idea of these omnibuses doing the GL vol 2 run. I think they have a much better shot than the archives ever did of seeing the run completed.

And it WOULD be nice if they crammed in enough issues into volume 3 to fit #46-75. A nice break right there. The GL/GA run would probably take up volumes 4 and 5 to get to GL/GA #122. I'm sure if people keep buying them, DC will keep making them since they seem to be striking while the iron is hot. Most of those issues have NEVER been reprinted. And though I already own all of GL volume 2, it's always been a dream of mine to have the entire run collected in hardcover.

And I'll gladly buy them all.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:46 PM   #5
Space Cop
The Dandy

You have a complete series 2? Including #1? I like you even more, now, Dave.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:15 PM   #6
Whitey
Corpse Trainee

I'll definitly keep buying them in the future. The Question to me is, how long will the releases take up to be released. Moreover I don't know if these volumes are selling very well, because I think this is very "special interest stuff" - maybe even for the GL-fan?
Old 12-07-2011, 03:20 PM   #7
Evergreen City
Corps Den Mother

I am not clear on the difference among an omnibus, an archive, and a chronicle series, nor do I see how any can call itself "comprehensive" when the GL JLA adventures, Flash cross-overs, and guest appearances in other Silver Age books are skipped over. And I worry about the bindings of the omnibi volumes--will so many pages lead to spine breakage? To this point the omnibi are re-publications of the microfilms that were cleaned up for the Archives editions. I'll stick by the Archives for as far as they go.

The power of will is found at the deepest level of your being. It's more than mere rules. It's a duty that you must honor.
Evergreen City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 03:27 PM   #8
Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen City View Post
I am not clear on the difference among an omnibus, an archive, and a chronicle series, nor do I see how any can call itself "comprehensive" when the GL JLA adventures, Flash cross-overs, and guest appearances in other Silver Age books are skipped over. And I worry about the bindings of the omnibi volumes--will so many pages lead to spine breakage? To this point the omnibi are re-publications of the microfilms that were cleaned up for the Archives editions. I'll stick by the Archives for as far as they go.
Well, I also prefer the Archives. I just fear that "as far as they go" is as far as they HAVE gone. If Omnibus #3 comes out before any more GL Archives, I'm going to have to make a decision to either stick with a format that may NEVER get continued, or switch to the Omnibus for the last few issues I do not have in some form already.

As for being comprehensive, they are comprehensive volumes of GL TITLES, not GL appearances. I think making them comprehensive of GL appearances would be a bad idea, because that would entail a lot of pages being duplicated between various lines. I think their customer base for this sort of thing is small enough as it is without that sort of nonsense. If you want to read GLs appearances in JLA, get the JLA Archives. It doesn't make sense, from a publishing perspective, to pad out the volumes of EVERY hero's adventures with the SAME JLA issues, just because they all appeared on the team. I know I'd be upset.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:45 PM   #9
Whitey
Corpse Trainee

Isn't one of the big differences between the Archives and the Omnibus, that the Omnibus is in colour?

I've read the Flash Omnibus 1 and the binding was good. Though I was wondering why the used only an inferior gluebinding instead of a - don't know the english word - stitched-binding, especially when the price is as high as it is I would love to pay 5$ more and get a better binding.

Last edited by Whitey; 12-07-2011 at 04:47 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:55 PM   #10
Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
Isn't one of the big differences between the Archives and the Omnibus, that the Omnibus is in colour?

I've read the Flash Omnibus 1 and the binding was good. Though I was wondering why the used only an inferior gluebinding instead of a - don't know the english word - stitched-binding, especially when the price is as high as it is I would love to pay 5$ more and get a better binding.
No. Archives are in color. Chronicles are in color. Omnibus is in color. The only differences are amount of content per volume, and binding. Archives and Omnibus are HC, Chronicles are TPB.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:08 PM   #11
Space Cop
The Dandy

Showcase are the b&w with cheap paper.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:48 PM   #12
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
You have a complete series 2? Including #1? I like you even more, now, Dave.
Every issue from Showcase #22 to today. Every issue, miniseries, oneshot, backup strip, teamup, reprint, hardcover, softcover etc. I just need a couple of the recent sketch variants which I'll pick up soon enough. Other than that, the only holes in my collection is the golden age material.

The pain in the ass now that I am done is keeping up on the reprints. DC has me buying the same shit over and over again just to have everything.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:40 PM   #13
Whitey
Corpse Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Cormier View Post
Every issue from Showcase #22 to today. Every issue, miniseries, oneshot, backup strip, teamup, reprint, hardcover, softcover etc. I just need a couple of the recent sketch variants which I'll pick up soon enough. Other than that, the only holes in my collection is the golden age material.

The pain in the ass now that I am done is keeping up on the reprints. DC has me buying the same shit over and over again just to have everything.
I'm shocked and impressed at the same time
Old 12-07-2011, 08:47 PM   #14
Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Cormier View Post

My wallet is glad I'm not THAT completist. My goal is simply to have stuff in SOME form. So if I've got an issue in an Archive, I'm not looking for the original issue, and if I've got an original issue, I'm sure as heck not interested in a reprint (unless my original is deteriorating).
Old 12-07-2011, 10:23 PM   #15
Space Cop
The Dandy

My first goal is to complete original copies of series 2. I don't see a point in getting all the reprints and TPbs unless it's to have reader copies. There's too many variants now for me to keep up with. If I complete S2, I'll start trying the Golden-Age stuff and to get every appearance of Hal (I have Action, but not the Flash run and not nearly all the JLA stuff).
Old 12-08-2011, 06:29 AM   #16
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Along the way I had to decide what constituted a book needing to be in my GL collection. Action Comics Weekly run? Yes. B+B, DC Presents and other teamup books? Yes. Adventure strip? Yes. JLA because he was a member? No. I only include JLA stories that focused on GL. Other things like Guy Gardner, Darkstars, and New Guardians also go in my GL collection. If GL just makes an appearance in another title, it may or may not go with my GL books. If it's part of a crossover or arc (like Gorilla Warfare in Wally's run) then all the issues go in the GL boxes.

I also have those styrene divider cards labelled with different runs, minis, reprints, etc.

Then I have things I put with my GL collection that make me feel guilty for doing so. The Flash backup run for example. It kills me that I don't have those books in my Flash longboxes. So much so, that from time to time I toy with the idea of buying second copies of them just to soothe my inner Flash fanboy!

Right now I have almost 6 longboxes of GL titles, and that's not counting my bookcase of trades and hardcovers. With DC's insistence that everything has 2 or 3 covers, and events like Blackest Night and Brightest Day, it's gotten out of control in the last couple of years.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:59 PM   #17
Space Cop
The Dandy

I just go by title, so the Action run is in my Superman/Action box. If I got the Flash run, it'd go with the other Flashes.
Old 12-26-2011, 02:57 AM   #18
TorchBearer2814
Corps Honor Guard

got the 2nd omnibus for christmas. What a great addition to the collection. Has first appearances of black hand as well as other villains. A must buy. I think i will stop buying the chronicles it doesnt make sense to buy both and the omnibus includes more and better paper.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:12 PM   #19
Whitey
Corpse Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorchBearer2814 View Post
got the 2nd omnibus for christmas. What a great addition to the collection. Has first appearances of black hand as well as other villains. A must buy. I think i will stop buying the chronicles it doesnt make sense to buy both and the omnibus includes more and better paper.
Same here! I'm curious to read both volumes.
What I found really funny is the prices of the issues 10c, 12c
Old 12-28-2011, 12:41 AM   #20
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Cool for both of you for scoring the omnibuses for Christmas. They really ARE very nice. Silver age goodness making the rounds!
Old 07-13-2012, 07:11 AM   #21
Evergreen City
Corps Den Mother

Been awhile since this thread's been bumped. Volume 7 of the archives is now forthcoming. so I renew my dedication to the Archives series and hope it goes through #89 (what with the Baxter reprints of 76-89 minus 88 having been done, and done, and done again, the Adams art is in pretty good shape).

Dave, I'm right behind you with my Hal collection, but covering the ground a little more conservatively. Archives as far as they go, Showcase Presents for stopgap on the middle ground, Baxters for the Adamses, and in original 88, 90-224 of Volume 2, 1-50 and a few more of Volume 3, all of Volume 4, all of Volume 5, half the Justice Leagues I need to buy again, all the Actions, most of the Annuals and Specials and TPBs not seen elsewhere...need the three Adventures... @%*t, it's been a busy and expensive year since the movie came out! Who said retirement was going to be easy? Next Comicon in September (Jet City), it'll be filling in Kyles...my lowest priority...out of the quarter boxes.

The power of will is found at the deepest level of your being. It's more than mere rules. It's a duty that you must honor.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:19 PM   #22
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Been awhile since this thread's been bumped. Volume 7 of the archives is now forthcoming. so I renew my dedication to the Archives series and hope it goes through #89 (what with the Baxter reprints of 76-89 minus 88 having been done, and done, and done again, the Adams art is in pretty good shape).
Man I loved those Baxter reprints back in the day. Those books opened a wole new world to me of great comics that I missed only because I was unfortunate enough to be born later. The GL/GA run, Deadman, Marshall Rogers Batman...because of those I started to really work on my back issue lists. It took years (okay, decades) until I had real disposable income to piss away on my comic habit, but I did finish off all my personal faves, from the silver age onward. The ones I didn't were ones I lost interest in anyway.

And I'm glad to see DC forging ahead, even if it's inch by inch, with the archive line. I'd just hate to see it die. I'll buy GL in both archive and omnibus format if they keep going with them. The dream of a completed GL volume 2 in one hardcover format lives on!!!

Quote:
Next Comicon in September (Jet City), it'll be filling in Kyles...my lowest priority...out of the quarter boxes.
I own them out of my need for completism, but I HEAR ya!
Old 07-14-2012, 04:09 AM   #23
Evergreen City
Corps Den Mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave View Post
I own them out of my need for completism, but I HEAR ya!
As actor Tony Shalhoub used to say about that obsessive-compulsive detective he played on TV for eight seasons, "I think there's a little Adrian Monk in all of us..." Yeah, nothing like completing the run!

Old 07-27-2012, 02:34 AM   #24
Trigger
Hal's Understudy

What are the chances of a Volume 4 GL Omnibus? If there's no chances then I might think about some bindings that I hear people have been doing.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:13 AM   #25
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Hold of on that. I'd be shocked if they didn't do a 4th GL omnibus.