Clear All

• Vice. Very good film. Shows a lot.

Comment

• The Spy Who Loved Me (1977)

"But James, I need you!
      -So does England!"

Death Machines (1976)

"They will do nicely."

Fun exploitation flick. Interestingly, I had been looking for this movie when a friend just brought a stack of movies he thought I might want to borrow.

Goldfinger (1964)

"My name is Pussy Galore.
      -I must be dreaming."

I just noticed: everyone (even Wikipedia and such) refers to Oddjob's hat as a bowler, but it's clearly flat on the top, so it's a John Bull (a shot topper). Now, Nick Nack (from TMwtGG) wears a bowler.
      Space Cop
      The Dandy
      Last edited by Space Cop; 03-09-2019, 02:25 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
        I just noticed: everyone (even Wikipedia and such) refer to Oddjob's hat as a bowler, but it's clearly flat on the top, so it's a John Bull (a shot topper). Now, Nick Nack (from TMwtGG) wears a boweler.
        I'm not sure I want to know what kind of hat a boweler is.

(Also, Wikipedia refers to his hat from the movie as a Sandringham hat, though it notes that he wears a bowler in the novel.)
        Mister Ed
        Horse of a Different Color
        Last edited by Mister Ed; 03-07-2019, 03:15 PM.

Comment

• On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969)

"I have taught you to love chickens."

Grand Slam (1967)

"I can't decide between syndicate killers or military."

Starsky & Hutch (2004)

"I like your Lincoln.
          -It's a '76. Won't be out 'til next year. But I know some people that know some people that robbed some people."

I didn't think this was anywhere near as bad as I expected or the ratings indicate, but it also wasn't good. It is annoying that they keep remaking these old shows as comedies.

Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
          I'm not sure I want to know what kind of hat a boweler is.
          Indeed. Funny enough, I didn't even see the typo the first time I read your post.

Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
          (Also, Wikipedia refers to his hat from the movie as a Sandringham hat, though it notes that he wears a bowler in the novel.)
          Okay, cool. I think what I did was click the movie entry, which doesn't mention his hat. I didn't click the character entry within that (where you got that reference). I apparently clicked on one of several different James Bond wikis here.

That is the hat I was referring to. Sandringham is its proper English name. John Bull was the (I assume somewhat pejorative) term we used here rather like we called Bowlers Derbys (the difference being the English vs. the American hat maker). I have a bowler and a short topper, so I guess I can play literary or cinematic Oddjob. Just need to work on that razor brim.

Probably the influence of the novel combined with the unfamiliarity of modern audiences with classic hats leads to fans commonly just calling it a bowler, at least in my experience. Good thing for us you don't take any of our posts by faith.
          Space Cop
          The Dandy
          Last edited by Space Cop; 03-19-2019, 03:27 AM.

Comment

• My review of How To Train Your Dragon: The Lost World.

https://dailyuv.com/975879

Also Green Book,

https://dailyuv.com/profile/2232/975216

and Alita: Battle Angel,

https://dailyuv.com/profile/2232/974969

The later two I forget to post here.

Comment

• Thunderball (1965)

"What I did this evening was for Queen and country."

Varan: The Unbelievable (1958)

"Mankind has won another victory."

Thanks to a friend, who happened to come across and purchase this out-of-print DVD, I was finally able to see the original Japanese cut of this kaiju movie, which is vastly different from the American cut with it's many added and removed scenes.

The World Is Not Enough (1999)

"Construction isn't exactly my speciality.
              -Quite the opposite, in fact."
              Space Cop
              The Dandy
              Last edited by Space Cop; 03-19-2019, 03:28 AM.

Comment

• A Cure for Wellness (2017)

"Who would want to leave?"

A brash young star at a powerful firm is ordered by the senior members to retrieve a rogue director from a wellness spa in the Alps. But when he suffers an accident and is forced to stay, he slowly realizes the staff are hiding a disturbing secret and must then escape with his life.

I can barely describe this film except to say it is a creepy amalgamation of The Faculty, The Strain, and Shutter Island. That's not to say it's bad at all, perhaps a bit longer than strictly needed (2h26m), but it is well made and it is very unnerving.

...And I'll put my Frozen review up sometime tomorrow, a week late already.
                Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• Moonraker (1979)

"At least I shall have the pleasure of putting you out of my misery."

Die Another Day (2002)

"I see you handle your weapon well."

Monsters vs. Aliens (2009)

"You must be terrified. Waking up in a strange place, wearing strange clothes, imprisoned by a strange being floating on a strange hovering device. Strange, isn't it?
                  -Hardly. It's not the first time.
                  Wow, you really get around. "

Watched this last night (3/9) for the 10th anniversary. That's not one I'd necessarily "celebrate," but I happened to pick it up at a flea market a few months ago and when I saw the date (as I was looking at movie anniversaries for the year), it seemed as good a time to re-watch it as any.
                  Space Cop
                  The Dandy
                  Last edited by Space Cop; 03-16-2019, 01:04 PM.

Comment

• Frozen

I enjoyed the change-up this brought. For once, we get a good queen instead of the usual Disney formula of "princess good, queen bad." Their penchant of only having good queens so they can be killed off as the evil queen seizes power is pretty worn out at this point.

I also liked Elsa having ice powers in specific rather than general magic, which was a good manifestation of the whole emotional/social isolation aspect of the story.

Speaking of the isolation, you could tell right off the bat that the parents were going to make a terrible choice that only reinforced Elsa beating herself up over accidentally hitting Anna. The trolls altering the memories didn't help, because that means Elsa has to then live with the fear of Anna never forgiving her for an accident because she lied to her for years on end. The King and Queen's decision to attempt to cut Elsa off from her powers, thereby not learning to control them, only made things worse because any panic-induced use of her powers would be that much harder to rein in.

Kristof pretending to talk for Sven was like a recurring SNL joke. I don't exactly know why, but it really felt like that. They were entertaining characters though.

Olaf was hilarious.

Fuck Hans and the Duke.

We do get a happy ending for everyone, thank god. Hopefully nobody gets screwed over in the sequel.

Also, my dad made me watch Manborg. It was equal parts stupidly amusing and utterly atrocious. For a minute, I thought the evil officer was going to turn into a good guy due to the bizarre attempts at romance, but they kill him off as a villain. My dad noticed the doctor playing tic-tac-toe in one scene.

Comment

• Game Night (2018)

Comment

• You Only Live Twice (1967)

"In Japan, men come first, women come second.
                        -I just might retire to here."

For Your Eyes Only (1981)

"Mr Bond! We can do a deal! I'll buy you a delicatessen! In stainless steel!"

Superfly (2018)

"Ain't nobody more gangster than a bank."

The original is still more my style, but this was better than I expected.
                        Space Cop
                        The Dandy
                        Last edited by Space Cop; 03-19-2019, 03:27 AM.

Comment

• saw CM for myself today don't know what all the hubbub was about i thought it was a good movie, thinking about getting the DvD when it comes out

IonFan says

MAGA then, MAGA now, MAGA FOREVER

Comment

• Karate-Robo Zaborgar (2011)

"I don't want to become a homicidal robot."

Octopussy (1983)

"I hear the island is fully of beautiful women. No men allowed.
                            -Really? Sexual discrimination. I'll definitely have to pay it a visit."

Caltiki: The Immortal Monster (1959)

"The garden is filled with monsters!"

Italian rip-off of The Blob, but the creature comes from a Mayan curse. Mostly bad, but the effects were gory for the day.
                            Space Cop
                            The Dandy
                            Last edited by Space Cop; 03-19-2019, 01:48 PM.

Comment

• Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018)

"People are predictable."

This is a really fun heist film. I grew up reading a bunch of the Expanded Universe novels, didn't read all of them and only early Han stuff I had was the Solo trilogy where he gets screwed over by this administrator and duels a famous gunslinger. I do remember reading an excerpt from another early Han story (the Del Rey EU books had short previews of multiple other books in the back pages), featuring Han going insubordinate to an Imperial officer and about to be executed.

This was a lot different than that, skipping right over his expulsion from the Imperial Academy and focusing on Han signing up with a gang of thieves. Woody Harrelson was great as Beckett (frankly all the players were excellent, Lando and L3 especially hilarious). The train scene reminded me a lot of the one from Captain America: The First Avenger.

I have to say the climax was a surprise for me, even knowing the major character reveal (due to accidentally seeing someone talking about it online). I don't know if we're going to see a follow-up in the form of another film, or if I need to sorely catch up even more than I already do on the comics, but shit can only get vastly more fascinating from here.

I also loved the Kessel Run being shown so that we finally get an understanding of how Han pulled off such a feat, and the sabacc game where he gets the Falcon was sweet (first one was very entertaining as well). My dad loved the droid rebellion.

Incredible film, highly recommend.

Comment

• Beauty and the Beast (2017)

"As a specimen, yes, I'm intimidating!"

The family and I watched this and thought it was decent but not really necessary.

Peppermint (2018)

"You didn't serve the justice. I will."

Certainly a by-the-numbers revenge flick, but the family and I (who revel in revenge flicks) still dug it.

[Lesbian] Vampire Killers (2009)

"Even dead women'd sooner sleep with each other than get with me it would appear."

Not exactly a classic, but I find it fun if you can turn the brain off (and go with the misogynistic undertones). Its tenth anniversary led me to use a B&N coupon, buy, and re-watch it. BTW: the original, British title was Lesbian Vampire Killers, but it seems the international title cut the first word and most references to it follow that. Another take on Carmilla.
                                Space Cop
                                The Dandy
                                Last edited by Space Cop; 03-19-2019, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X