Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Gamer Thread Vol. 5 (General Gaming News & Discussion)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So when I went to see my dad tonight, he was playing Division 2. He'd reached level 9 and was fighting like hell to survive against the enemies at the end of this one mission in a library where you fight against "Pebbles" (I killed him in the beta, wasn't especially fun). Molotovs fucking everywhere and my dad repeatedly cursing. When he did barely beat the boss, he kept all his loot and put it into his stash because apparently friendly NPCs at control points don't care what kind of weapons/gear you give them (I get echoes of Fallout 4 settlers thinking about this).

My external HDD still hasn't arrived, otherwise I'd have started playing the game myself. The wait is agonizing.

edit -- dunkey playing Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice. Oh god, that ending is totally insane. Now I'm genuinely scared to play it myself (but that snake was fucking cool).
    Agent Purple
    The Illustrated Man
    Last edited by Agent Purple; 03-24-2019, 02:00 AM. Reason: King of the Monkeys...wait for it...
    Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• Dude I haven't made it out of the first level of that game yet (Sekiro). Hell the first mini-boss is destroying me.

To be honest though I've been spending most of my time on Fallout 76.
      http://cropsycrypt.blogspot.com/

Comment

• External arrived today. I didn't see it on my bed, or in the mailbox, but when I checked the front door for my cat, it was sitting there in the shipping box.

I plugged it in and immediately formatted it, and it's just now finished transferring Dragon Age: Inquisition, took about 20 minutes. I'm going to have to install/update a bunch of stuff on my external so I can have a load of games ready to go.

Going to install and get started on Division 2 after dinner. My heart's already pumping.

Comment

• JMM: Toe Jam & Earl: Back in the Groove

Jeez, I remember them playing the original (one of my favorites as a kid, watched my dad beat it a single time, so fucking hard). I need to watch a playthrough of the sequel one day soon.

Also, had a fun little time using my external to install/update my other PS4 games. Only one I had an issue with was Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. I wanted to redeem the extra content code in the case, thankfully still valid, but I had to do so on Square Enix's site. I spent the time to register, but for some dumb reason I couldn't mark the game as being in my collection even though the button was lit so that I should have been able to. I go on PS Store, find a bundle pack for the very content I want (and free, no less!).

Guess what? Shit gets bizarre: I picked the pack, selected "Download," and then the option on the page changed to "Tell me more>>" and the item was marked as "No longer available." A second later I get notifications that things in the bundle are downloading and installing anyway, so now I have all the content. I have no idea what the fuck happened but I'm glad for the extra goods, and now I don't have to waste another second on SE's site (that thing is a nuisance to use).

Right now Division 2's day-one patch is almost done downloading, 20 minutes left. I won't have much time to play tonight, but I definitely want to set up my character and get a bit into the early game before leaving the real fun for the rest of the week/-end.

Comment

• For some strange reason, one of my reward arm patches in Div2 isn't showing up in-game even though the Club Ubisoft app says I have it. Gonna have to investigate.

That bullshit aside, I'm at level 5 in the main game. Haven't done more than one main mission (Grand Washington Hotel) and some side missions, completing the Theater projects and working to get better gear/weapons (the Urban MDR dropped as a blue for me, ha!). I'm still eager as fuck to begin grinding Dark Zone stuff, but it has to wait until the proper time.

I'm not going to even look at the commendations until I've completed the main story, I'm just going to let them happen and then look at anything I need to actively pursue.

Beating the first main mission (entering DC and "liberating" the White House as your HQ doesn't count) netted me my 399 trophy. Yay.

Comment

• 1) Patch now shows up correctly, guess it was just a syncing issue or something. Also unlocked a few other patches by claiming commendation rewards for a few low-level ones.

2) Hit 400 trophies by completing a specific mission. Still working towards the DZ Recon mission but that'll come, and I have plenty of time to play this weekend.

3) Getting a good assault rifle is as difficult in the full game as it was in the beta. I was hoping the drop rates wouldn't quite be the same but they seem to be as they were before. Hope my RNG improves because I want to be properly kitted out before I start my thief runs in the DZs.

4) PS Plus runs out next Wednesday, so I guess I know what I'm shopping for this weekend.

edit --- 5) Game froze near the end of a side mission, I thought I'd have to do it all over again or some crazy shit. Popped disc out, back in, and picked up in the middle of the fight, much to my amazement. No further issues.
              Agent Purple
              The Illustrated Man
              Last edited by Agent Purple; 03-29-2019, 02:08 AM.

Comment

• FINALLY unlocked DZ East, redoing the Recon mission all over again (still eerie as fuck exploring a near-deserted DZ) and then after messing around for a while, finding new gear and leveling a little, I decided to take the plunge.

I went back into DZ East, found the safe house, and hacked the terminal, activating rogue status. Several minutes of running around, nearly rushing straight into an enemy NPC patrol, and I've hacked my way into the Thieves' Den for the first time. Doing so unlocked a trophy and I saved the clip for posterity. I'll end up doing this a thousand goddamn times, for sure, the new thief system is so much fun.

Comment

• I don't play any modern games because they don't interest me. I stopped at the PS2/Gamecube generation, but I LOOOOOOVE retro games. Here's a related fun fact about me. It turns out I'm a musician and I make chip tunes (I can play the guitar, too [I also do pixel art and make sprites]). Here is a little idea I've been dabbling with:
                  http://greenlantern.co/misc/chord-test.wav
                  ^I will develop it into something more.

Recently, I enjoyed playing through Metroid Fusion again. I haven't done that in years. I will be replaying Super Metroid, which was one of my favorite games when I was a little kid, but Hegane is currently occupying me. For those who don't know, Hegane is a side-scrolling action platformer on the Super Nintendo. Many consider it the hardest game on the console, but nearly everyone agrees it's surprisingly well made. It's also one of the most expensive cartridges on SNES. Here is a video:

+ YouTube Video
                  ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
                  Star-Lantern
                  Weaponer of Qward
                  Last edited by Star-Lantern; 03-30-2019, 08:23 AM.
                  ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

• Yesterday at my dad's, he had moved his computer and router downstairs to play Division 2 on his big-screen TV. I tried it out, opting to do the DZ East Recon mission. It was about the same in terms of difficulty: he had powerful rifles but the PS4 controller he was using was causing this odd input lag, where the character could barely strafe, and to worsen matters his camera sensitivity was really high. I did the mission and unlocked the zone for him but he already said he'll never go there. He might get an X1 controller to see if that helps the input lag, hell if I know anything about that (it's practically a given he won't use a mouse-keyboard setup on his coffee table).

For myself, I've been grinding away at a bunch of the content, completing various main and side missions. Unlocked and ran around DZ South as both a normal agent and a rogue and then popped back over to DZ East. To my surprise a supply drop was just coming down up the street from my checkpoint, so I cut down the NPCs guarding it and the leader dropped a high-end AK-47 for me. It was contaminated, which made me hesitate to pick it up because I never liked extractions, but I risked it this time. I hooked my bag immediately when the chopper arrived, and good thing I did because the fucking Outcasts that were flooding the area eventually downed me. Once back at a checkpoint, I withdrew my new toy and went to work, clearing a couple landmarks to test it out: the thing is a beast for now, even though I'll have to replace it later on once I get more levels and even deadlier weapons.

Comment

• Yo.

oh Lordy, this just made me smile.....

+ YouTube Video
                      ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Tazer

Originally posted by Andrew NDB
                      Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.

Comment

• Originally posted by Star-Lantern View Post
                        Hegane is currently occupying me. For those who don't know, Hegane is a side-scrolling action platformer on the Super Nintendo. Many consider it the hardest game on the console, but nearly everyone agrees it's surprisingly well made. It's also one of the most expensive cartridges on SNES. Here is a video:

+ YouTube Video
                        Wow that looks rad. I love those retro games, I can't wait until Blasphemous drops on PS4. Very retro side scroller; supported the kickstarter. Also Hyperlight Drifter might be up your alley, and Death's Gambit is fun as well. The new retro.
                        http://cropsycrypt.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by Tazer View Post
                          Yo.

oh Lordy, this just made me smile.....
                          Yeah, I saw that Borderlands was being re-released in HD, and me and my dad discussed Borderlands 3's announcement (I also saw GameStop's E-mail about it. The news just reminds me I never played the original and have yet to actually pop in my copy of the second (not playing Prequel).

Division 2 had an update and is also enjoying its first live event. I need to spend time actually finishing the story but I keep wandering around and I've been trying to finish several Ubisoft Club challenges (the ones this week are a bit more forgiving). I also managed to unlock a new cosmetic patch for five consecutive headshots without missing, which also granted me a trophy (10 patches from commendations). Before that I'd unlocked the patch for killing enemies in various ways (grenades, headshots, melee, special ammo).

Comment

• Definitely looking forward to playing Borderlands 3 at some point. Loved the first two, only put a little time into the pre-sequel but I didn't dislike it. I mainly play co-op with my brother so I think that helps a lot.

Been playing some of the NES classic. I didn't remember Star Tropics being as hard as it seems now, but I think I'm being impatient. I definitely remember Zelda 2 being difficult, but I have always wanted to beat it. I beat a couple of the dungeons so far in that one, though I think I beat four in an earlier play through.

Comment

• Zelda 2 can be done with TONS of grinding. The save states are a major help though.

Comment

• Just realized that I never posted this...

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is the best game I've ever played. So beautiful. So much fun. And the only thing that I don't like is that you can't explore the regions post-ending.

Comment

Working...
                                X