Bring back Adventure Comics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bring back Adventure Comics

No, not starring Superboy. Cast a couple of new characters in it as a teamup.

Barry and Hal?

But this might be better.

Wally and Alan starring in Adventure Comics.

That would give you cross-pollination from JSA.

Comment

Originally posted by Trey Strain View Post
      No, not starring Superboy.
      Before the New52 Adventure comics was selling like hotcakes with Superboy and LoSH backups. It's the reason they both had series that spun out of it. Brining it back just to give it to somebody else is stupid when there's not an actual Superboy title currently on the stands. And no, Super Sons doesn't count as a Robin comic or a Superboy comic.

And how many ****ing threads are you gonna start in a week dude? You've got 11 now on page one...

~//V\\~

Comment

It doesn't matter how they did it in the 1960s. It's been pretty well established that Superboy can't carry an ongoing in today's market. Hal and Barry probably can, or Wally and Alan.

Comment

Talk smack all you want. This comic wasn't cancelled after 5 or 6 issues.

And Superboy's classic series in the 90's lasted over one hundred issues well into the year 2002. I'm not talking about the 60's. The clone's always been popular. Only reason I bothered with Teen Titans was because Superboy was involved. Originally, that was the only reason I got into LoSH before becoming a big fan. I'd wager he's more popular than Supergirl despite her constantly getting a bigger push. The Kara Zor El version [aka the *main* version, not Matrix or one of the others] has only appeared in about one thousand more comics than Conner Kent, and her first appearance was in '59. She had a 35 year head start. Superboy has been sold in 1,396 comics since '94. Kara's only been sold in 2,283 comics since '59. 23 years comparing to 58 years.

~//V\\~

Comment

Kyle and Wally in Adventure Comics might work too.

Comment

They should bring AC back, and with it's golden age numbering.

Comment

I think Sensational Comics should be a Wonder Woman team-up title. Brave & the Bold should be a Batman team-up title. Get rid of Batman/Superman, Superman/WW, and Trinity. That's spreading the characters a bit too thin, and anything with the Trinity should involve the rest of the JL as well and just be in the JL comics... [and half the Trinity issues I've read included the JL anyway!].

Strange Adventures coming back as a cosmic DC title with rotating stories, characters, and creators could be cool. Could include Lobo, Capt. Comet, Adam Strange, [insert color] Lanterns sparingly, the Darkstars, Thanagarians, Blackfire, the Omega Men...

^^^ Make it like Future Quest. Slowly tie one to the next until you come full circle for a big payoff with several of them in one big battle or against a mutual enemy.

~//V\\~

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I View Post
                  They should bring AC back, and with it's golden age numbering.
                  Those old names and their numbering -- House of Mystery, Mystery in Space, etc. -- have market value. What they need to do is make them ongoing teamup or team titles.

And keep the personnel consistent. If you make some title a Batman teamup, then keep the same character will him. That way you don't have to resell the team every time a new story starts.

In my thread about recurring minis, I suggested one starring Batman and the street level JSA members, to be called Mystery Command. I think now that House of Mystery would be a better name. And I think it would sell as an ongoing.

Oh, and there shouldn't be a literal house. That was a screwy idea that got tried out at one point.
                  Trey Strain
                  Guardian of the Universe
                  Last edited by Trey Strain; 04-27-2017, 05:46 AM.

Comment

I'd love House of Mystery.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                      I'd love House of Mystery.
                      My idea was to have the Phantom Stranger hand out assignments to the team, maybe in the Batcave. Then he'd disappear and the team would handle things.

Comment

Originally posted by Trey Strain View Post
                        Those old names and their numbering -- House of Mystery, Mystery in Space, etc. -- have market value. What they need to do is make them ongoing teamup or team titles.
                        For somebody that has me on ignore, it's like you read my post directly above yours... LOL

'Mystery Command' is probably one of the most senseless of your proposals, and Batman would never let a bunch of losers into his cave. The team in Detective Comics doesn't even get to meet at the cave and it includes some of his closest allies! Calling it something else doesn't make it any better.

House of Mystery needs to be something with supernatural characters. Not another book with Batman. Just because Batman comics sell, that doesn't mean you can tie every character or team to Batman and/or Gotham. Anybody remember Simon Dark? Probably not. He was tied to Gotham too, and was a pretty decent character IMHO... his first issue barely sold 24k. His last issue, #18 [which means he's lasted longer than a few of the shittier monthlies which is damn sad], only 7, 707.

~//V\\~

Comment

Originally posted by -//V\\- View Post
                          ...House of Mystery needs to be something with supernatural characters. Not another book with Batman. Just because Batman comics sell, that doesn't mean you can tie every character or team to Batman and/or Gotham...
                          I agree. I liked the New 52 I, Vampire (not loved it), but I thought the bits that crossed over with Batman were the weakest. HoM should be DC's license to get real dark.

Comment

I just really want another title more like Shadowpact and less like JLD. There were so many supernatural teams with good line-ups... Shadowpact, Sentinels of Magic, and... Creeper's Spirit Squad even...

~//V\\~

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                              I agree. I liked the New 52 I, Vampire (not loved it), but I thought the bits that crossed over with Batman were the weakest. HoM should be DC's license to get real dark.
                              You'd have to have a star in it -- probably more than one -- to sell a title like House of Mystery. Anthology comics haven't sold in a very long time, and neither have comics with new heroes. That's the hard reality of the market. Look at DC and Marvel's ongoings now. There aren't that many of them, and they all feature well-known characters and concepts. Niche products simply won't sell in a mature industry like this one. DC's whole Vertigo line, which by definition is a niche corner, has always floundered despite its cult following.

You could try out something like you're talking about in a recurring mini, but even in that format it would face long odds. Dogs have proved too many times that they won't eat that dog food. You could try feeding it to them again, but you shouldn't expect a different outcome.

Nobody should look at a untested concept and dismissively say, "That won't sell." You don't know that for a fact, and this is all about trying things out. Besides, if you try something out and it doesn't sell, then so what? But you can and should look at an old approach and say, "This has flopped already. Why should try that again, and meanwhile not try something that we haven't tried yet?"
                              Trey Strain
                              Guardian of the Universe
                              Last edited by Trey Strain; 04-27-2017, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X