No announcement yet.

Terminator: Dark Fate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uh oh... big creative differences between Cameron and the director.

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/10/ja...es-1202186192/

Comment

We should start a pool on how long it will be before James Cameron does a 180 and trashes T6.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
        We should start a pool on how long it will be before James Cameron does a 180 and trashes T6.
        one of the youtuber i follow already posted vid (on Monday mind you) about this

IonFan says

MAGA then, MAGA now, MAGA FOREVER

Comment

It might bother me if it weren't for the fact that he hasn't made anything I care about since 1994.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
            It might bother me if it weren't for the fact that he hasn't made anything I care about since 1994.
            But... But... Uhm...

Shit, you're right.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
              To be fair, he's only made two narrative features since then, technically.

Comment

He'll probably wait and see what the general reaction is to the movie from audiences. If it's largely positive, then it will be, "It was a challenge but we succeeded!" If it's largely negative then it will be, "You see, I wasn't really given a lot of say on the movie."

Comment

It's an example of why a producer's credit means nothing. If I like a director, I will wait until they direct a film, not one that says "presented by".

Comment

Yep.

Now it's targeting an underwhelming opening:

http://www.darkhorizons.com/terminat...lming-opening/

Comment

I did see it. It was well made. The Bad Terminator seemed to be more relentless, no-nonsense and capable than any Bad Terminator since 2. Music was the best since 2 (as in, actually registers). Editing, pacing A+. The set pieces are good. I like how things move in a line, over a crazy day or two. A few really funny comedic moments are here. The first R-rating since T3 isn't a bad thing, either. A movie about assassins from the future murdering a lot of people probably shouldn't be pasteurized for 13-year olds. In fact, that's probably really irresponsible to try and do.

I'm also not sure I completely liked it. If I'd never seen T3, T4, and T5 (the ones it ignores anyway) then I'd probably like the movie a whole lot more, but it openly steals large pieces of T3 and T5... leaving things not seeming so fresh. There's a few strange choices in the movie and kind of like at the end of Genisys, I'm not sure where they'd even want to take things that I'd want to see.

Basically, if you're A: one of the people that pretend T3-T5 don't exist (or better yet, if you've never seen) or B: just plain don't care if you see stuff borrowed directly from those movies, give it a chance and there's a pretty good chance you'll dig it. If you like even just T3, this movie will probably irk you.

People expecting a big "return of Cameron" thing here will be flat out disappointed. I can feel his hand in the editing side of things, but this didn't feel like a Cameron movie at all. A lot is coming out lately about how little he had to do with the movie, too, never even visited the set or met any actors, and disagreed with the director on story points (without revealing who won said battles).

1. T1
                      2. T2
                      3. T3 & T6 (a tie)
                      4. T4
                      5. T5

[Spoiler]Speaking of things lifted from the other movies...

* Sarah Connor's actions in T2 only delayed Judgement Day a number of years. Like T3.

* Someone in the present is being targeted by a Terminator from the future because of what they will do in the future. Like in T1, T2, T3, and T5.

* That same someone receives a time-traveler to protect them. Like T1, T2, T3, and T5.

* Before the events of the main film, an Arnold Terminator kills John Connor. Just like in T3 (in the future instead of the past, but same difference).

* The main hero of the story is a human-Terminator hybrid. Like Marcus, the main hero in T4.

* The bad guy Terminator is a hybrid endoskeleton with malleable skin. Like the T-X in T3 and the T-3000 in T5.

* Arnold's CSM-101 T-800 is back in an ally capacity. Like T2, T3, and T5.

* We get "Old Man Arnold T-800." Like "Pops" in T5.

* SkyNET "evolves" to be called something other than SkyNET. Like T5. ("Genisys" there, "Legion" here, apparently... and interestingly enough, both bible verses)

* Good Guy Arnold Terminator has to say goodbye to his friends before sacrificing himself. Like in T2, T3, and T5 (sure, he survived T5, but he didn't know he was going to).

* Pulling a power cell from the future out of a body and stuffing it into the head of the Bad Terminator is the key to killing it. Just like in T3.

* At the end of the movie, the final scene is the heroes visiting a child version of one of them. Just like one movie ago in T5.

There's more, of course. I could get into the obligatory car chase stuff that's in every movie that I'm pretty tired of by now ("Take the wheel while I shoot at this Terminator behind us!" "OK!" blah blah), and it even tries to one up the airplane/helicopter stuff from the last movie. People compare it to "The Force Awakens" and there's a bit of that (except here, half of the new characters are eliminated by the end), but mostly it feels like "Alien: Covenant" in that it plays like a "Terminator: Greatest Hits" album, trying to be fresh but in doing so only shows why it ends up being the opposite of that.[/spoiler]

Comment

Yo.

I'll be brief: I rather liked the movie cuz if was fun & engaging for the most part, but have NO DESIRE TO CONTINUE ON WITH FURTHER EPISODES IN THIS FRANCHISE (the 2nd scene & the T-800 development "reveal" killed it for me.)

also, Id be _really_ surprised if BDD does anything other than throw his drink *AND* popcorn at the screen.....

Tazer

Originally posted by Andrew NDB
                        Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.

Comment

I just saw it, and generally agree. It was a good movie; definitely way better than Genisys. I'd also put it right on par with the other T3. That said, I still prefer Rise of the Machines if only because I like John Connor as a character more than his mom... but then I'm also that weird guy whose favorite film in the franchise is Salvation, so yeah. (I do admit that T2 was the best of them, though.)
                          Do good. Be well. Make happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Tazer View Post
                            Yo.

I'll be brief: I rather liked the movie cuz if was fun & engaging for the most part, but have NO DESIRE TO CONTINUE ON WITH FURTHER EPISODES IN THIS FRANCHISE (the 2nd scene & the T-800 development "reveal" killed it for me.)
                            You mean him being a married man and all that? That was like the only thing I liked about the movie, so it's a theme the last one already kind of explored to a lesser degree (Pops getting old, getting a job).

Originally posted by Parrylakks View Post
                            I just saw it, and generally agree. It was a good movie; definitely way better than Genisys. I'd also put it right on par with the other T3. That said, I still prefer Rise of the Machines if only because I like John Connor as a character more than his mom... but then I'm also that weird guy whose favorite film in the franchise is Salvation, so yeah. (I do admit that T2 was the best of them, though.)
                            It's not that John is a better character than Sarah... it's just, it's kind of like Star Trek, with Kirk and Spock and original Enterprise. If Star Trek can't evolve past those three things, then it probably doesn't deserve to. With Terminator, if it can't move past Sarah Connor... what are we even doing?

When I was younger, after T2 I was excited about seeing new Terminators with different skins. Like The Rock as one. Triple H as one. Vin Diesel as one. You know? That thirty years later they're still kicking around Arnie is weird. And they've gone so far with the bad guy Terminators that we don't even care anymore. Unless you're near some experimental technology place with big magnetic generators, you don't have any hope of stopping them (the T-1000, the T-X, the T-4000, or the Rev-9). At all. All the blasting them with bullets and bazookas and stuff... it's meaningless, and we know it is. And that has always hurt things, in my head. In T1 there is a sense of, "Well, OK... it's virtually unstoppable, but with the right planning and weapons, maybe you could have a chance." Like when the leg gets hurt and it's limping. They never really could put the genie back in the bottle on that since T2, and they never really tried beyond T4.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post
                              ...In T1 there is a sense of, "Well, OK... it's virtually unstoppable, but with the right planning and weapons, maybe you could have a chance." Like when the leg gets hurt and it's limping. They never really could put the genie back in the bottle on that since T2, and they never really tried beyond T4.
                              I haven’t seen Dark Fate yet, but beside that I own them all and like something about each. However, I think you hit on something there. #1 is still the best to me. It has a different tone and sensibility. Even though #3 gets real dark and #4 stays dark, #1 felt most like a survivor horror and I dug that best. #2 is its own thing (sorta buddy cop; sorta road adventure) and is great, but I love that tension of the first. When I go back to #2 now it feels a little too light and hopeful compared to the way it all started.

Comment

Working...
                              X