Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shouldn't we be getting a new Archives soon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just finished Archives 6 and WOW - agrere 100% with everything said here and couldn't add more (from the format frustrations to the 'catching up', etc)! If anyone at DC sees this, count this as another dissatisfied vote!
    (Although to give them the benefit-of-the-doubt, have they said that maybe Archives sales were low and due to the bad economy, are publishing them in a more affordable format? I could see that... so I just hope they continue the Archives at SOME point...)

Comment

Scanning every single page of several Silver Age GL comics you already don't own, printing them out on glossy paper then having them bound into a book would cost you more than buying those issues in NM condition! Just the price of ink alone will break your bank. I understand the collector mentality of having to own everything but there's a time when you gotta draw the line.

Comment

Originally posted by GuyGardner368 View Post
        Scanning every single page of several Silver Age GL comics you already don't own, printing them out on glossy paper then having them bound into a book would cost you more than buying those issues in NM condition! Just the price of ink alone will break your bank. I understand the collector mentality of having to own everything but there's a time when you gotta draw the line.
        Yeah, I haven't been back to this thread for awhile but that project was a total bust. I would love to continue the "archives" feel with hardbound books, but I never even began the project after doing the math on how much it would cost. The projection was too high, even with me using the printers at my job. Most silver age comics I have are fine to very fine so maybe down the line I could have them bound if DC does abandon the Archive line.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Malvolio View Post
          I am not really enjoying the Showcase edition. I never have been a fan of B&W formats, and to rob GREEN Lantern of it's color, kind of defeats the purpose of the ever constant battle of green vs. yellow.
          I like the art and the color of a comic book, it's what makes it a comic book. Once I see there is no color, I don't even thumb through it... it goes right back on the shelf.

Comment

I can't agree more! the showcase volumes hold no interest for me (although this upcoming GL omnibus looks far more promising

http://dccomics.com/dcu/comics/?cm=15824

still Dark Knight Archives is getting a seventh volume
            Robin Archives just got a 2nd!

Is it too much to hope that we'll see a GL V. 7 if not first quarter 2011 then maybe by the time the movie comes out?
            Green Lantern Unlimited!

Comment

With the launch of the omnibus line, the archive line is dead. Did you expect DC would actually finish something they started?

I wouldn't be surprised if the omnibus line got close to completing the SA GL series, then they cancel that line to start yet ANOTHER format.

Comment

I bought the showcase, even though it's in black and white. I just wanted to know what the history of Green Lantern was.

1 showcase = 4 chronicles. I already have Showcases 2,3 &4. The first one has mysteriously gone out of print much to my shagrin. So I'm going to collect the first 4 Chronicles(the 3rd of which should be out by november of this year) and be satisfied with having the rest of the showcases in black and white.
                "What is that noise?'
                The wind under the door.
                'What is that noise now? What is the wind doing?'
                Nothing again nothing.
                'Do you know nothing? Do you see nothing? Do you remember nothing?'
                I remember ...."
                -T.S. Elliot (The Wasteland)

Comment

You may want to hold off; DC is putting GL Showcase volume 1 back in print this fall.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Cormier View Post
                    You may want to hold off; DC is putting GL Showcase volume 1 back in print this fall.
                    Oh really? I wonder why it went out of print in the first place...
                    "What is that noise?'
                    The wind under the door.
                    'What is that noise now? What is the wind doing?'
                    Nothing again nothing.
                    'Do you know nothing? Do you see nothing? Do you remember nothing?'
                    I remember ...."
                    -T.S. Elliot (The Wasteland)

Comment

I dunno, but I do know that they won't reprint a TBP until the mot recent printing completely sells out, and sometimes it never does.

Comment

OK SO WTF IS THIS?!?

SUGAR AND SPIKE ARCHIVES VOL. 1
                        Written by SHELDON MAYER; Art and cover by SHELDON MAYER

DC's cult favorite comic about a pair of precocious babies is collected at last in this volume.

Hot-tempered Sugar Plumm and shy Cecil "Spike" Wilson may be toddlers, but they know more about getting into trouble than most grown-ups. And while they can understand each other perfectly, all their parents seem to hear when they speak is "Glx sptzl glaah!"

Now, DC Comics collects their classic series for the first time, starting with issues #1-10, in this hardcover showcasing stories and art by the talented Sheldon Mayer, inspired by the hijinks of his own children.
                        Archive Editions 240pg. Color Hardcover $59.99 US

SUGAR AND SPIKE GET AN ARCHIVES?!? When did sugar and Spike make the most wanted list?!? I mean Let's set aside the idea of finishing off Hal's Silver Age Run with only Three volumes logically remaining between Volume 6 and Hard Traveling Heroes 1 and lets look at some of the other deserving characters that could get the Archive treatment
                        Silver Age Flash. Barry Allen's a Hot Ticket in his own right nowadays between Flash Rebirth Flashpoint and the Upcoming Flash #1 as well as having only five volumes to Hal's six (And Barry debuted first!) I'd Say if not a volume 7 for Hal, at least a volume 6 for Barry's Archives Run
                        Golden Age Archives
                        All Star and wonder Woman might be the only Archive runs featuring our JSA heroes to be complete (unless Dr. Fates 1 book contains his entire solo adventures)
                        Green Lantern, Flash and Starman all have two each the Spectre, Sandman, Hawkman and Black Canary have one each I'm sure there are some others from this period that I've left out but suffice to say, when you tally up all the characters that have made DC what it is currently, no where will you find any reader who says................"I'm sick of all this superhero Crap! gimme some collected editions featuring a couple of toddlers who's biggest claim to fame is a spiritual inspiration for the "Look Who's Talking" movies!"
                        Green Lantern Unlimited!

Comment

Aaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!!!! Much better
                          Written by JOHN BROOME and GARDNER FOX; Art by GIL KANE and SID GREENE; Cover by GIL KANE and MURPHY ANDERSON

In these high-flying tales from GREEN LANTERN #48-57, Green Lantern battles the evil of villains Sinestro, Major Disaster and many more!
                          DC Universe 256pg. Color Hardcover $59.99*US
                          On Sale August 22, 2012
                          Green Lantern Unlimited!

Comment

Why did it take them so long to do the archives line again?

Comment

Originally posted by Mister.Weirdo View Post
                              Why did it take them so long to do the archives line again?
                              My guess is that the Omnibuses sold well enough that they want to do a third, but they figure they can make more money if the sell those comics in Archive format FIRST, then just take all the work they did for those and use it to output the next Omnibus without having to spend any additional money restoring all the issue art.

I'm hoping this IS the case, because if SO it probably means we will get two more Archives after this one without TOO long of a wait.

In general they seem to have abandoned the Archive line, if you look at how FEW Archives have come out in the past few years compared to earlier in the line.

Comment

They were trying to fixate on the Showcase collections then they decided to run the chronicles. DC present Hierarchy hasn't exactly been known put the fans desires on a priority basis.
                                Green Lantern Unlimited!

Comment

Working...
                                X