Any other Star Trek fans on here??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by projectile View Post
    Thats because it was made to appeal to the masses/general audience, not just Stark Trek fans.
    like i said i never cared for trek until i saw this recent film.

it pushed me to watch the original 3 films and i enjoyed them alot as well.
    .................................................. ..........................

Cnn = constant nasuating nonsense

Comment

Originally posted by IonFan View Post
      ever time-traveling episode of ST disagrees with that, and until they come out with a new ST movie that shows that Next Gen. exist i still say that JJ killed 60+years of ST history
      I don't understand why some people will go out of their way to be upset about something even when those with the authority to decide say it ISN'T the case.

It isn't like up until this point Star Trek has ALWAYS been a miracle of scientific (sorry, pseudo-scientific) consistency. It hasn't. Things work differently from episode to episode, alien species change appearance and attributes, the TRANSPORTER is used for everything under the sun, and then never used that way again even when it is the obvious solution to a new problem.

For people to get bent out of shape over a consequence of time travel that they have DERIVED from "the way it works in other episodes" even though those in charge of Trek say it worked differently this time seems the height of creating your own problems to me.

If changing the timeline automatically erases everything that came from an alternate timeline in Star Trek, where did Sela come from, I ask you? Or for that matter, how, in the MOVIE, would old Spock still exist at all, with memories of the other timeline?

It isn't like Star Trek doesn't have a history of experiences with the existence of alternate universes, either, many of which are clearly intended to be functionally equivalent to alternate timelines (like the episode where Worf kept jumping between universes that were similar to his, but had diverged from his history at some point).

If you want to get upset over a non-issue, that's your call. I choose not to. (If a technobabble explanantion of how time travel effects can be different in different cases would help, you can read the recent novel "DTI: Watching the clock" which deals with the Federation's Department of Temporal Investigations, and contains such an "explanation" at one point.)

Comment

if anything killed ST it was ENT.
        I would agree that the failure of that show killed Star Trek on TV for the forseeable future. The bummer is, in my opinion at least, Enterprise was JUST getting good when they yanked it. (And gave it that EMBARASSING finale. Stunt casting Riker and Troi into ANOTHER show's finale? Ugh.)

Comment

i still say that JJ killed 60+years of ST history
          You'd be wrong. According to Paramount, the prime timeline still exists. (That's why it's called "prime." JJ's stuff is officially called "the alternate reality.")
          The last fan of 1990s comics
          Read my Green Lantern blog The Indigo Tribe

Comment

I love Star Trek ...I was on the 25th anniversary con at LA, it was very cool!!

Comment

ever time-traveling episode of ST disagrees with that, and until they come out with a new ST movie that shows that Next Gen. exist i still say that JJ killed 60+years of ST history

The Trek Universe we all know and love still exists. Star Trek has shown before (in TOS and Next Gen, hell even DS9) that alternate realities exist. Anyone remember the episode where Worf went from universe to universe and at the end there were like 100 Enterprises in the same place.

Also in the Offical Movie Prequal Comics, the Enterprise-E was present when Spock and Nero when into the singularity, and when it closed they were still there, and if this was as simple as altering the timeline they would have instantly disappeared as evident from the Borg changing history in First Contact. And no they were not caught in a temporal wake which would have protected them from changes in the timeline. So im happy to call the JJ Star Trek and alternate universe, plus the prequal comics showed that Datas memories over wrote B4's programming an he became Captain of the Enterprise!!

Comment

The prequel comics aren't canon, however.
                The last fan of 1990s comics
                Read my Green Lantern blog The Indigo Tribe

Comment

Originally posted by SD80MAC View Post
                  The prequel comics aren't canon, however.
                  True. That doesn't much bother me, though. Even though I've seen all of filmed Trek (some of it multiple times), I've probably STILL spent more total time reading non-canon Trek novels and comics. The episodic nature of most of Trek makes canon/non-canon distinctions much less compelling than in other properties that are more of a continuing story.

Comment

The canon issue come up a lot with Doctor Who. Personally, I take the "non-canon" stuff (books, whatever) as true until they contradict the show. At that point, the canon of the show trumps them. But when you're reading a ST novel, it could still happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                      The canon issue come up a lot with Doctor Who. Personally, I take the "non-canon" stuff (books, whatever) as true until they contradict the show. At that point, the canon of the show trumps them. But when you're reading a ST novel, it could still happen.
                      Problem with that is Dr Who contradicts itself in film a few times and that was before the cluster fuck new generation
                      Goodbye Christopher Hitchins 1949 - 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Bolerathon View Post
                        Problem with that is Dr Who contradicts itself in film a few times and that was before the cluster fuck new generation
                        Quite. In-canon contradictions are a whole 'nother kettle of fish.
                        Star Trek's done it too.
                        Even Star Wars cuts it pretty close with just 6 films (Leia remembers how sad her mother was in the time she knew her?).

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                          Quite. In-canon contradictions are a whole 'nother kettle of fish.
                          Star Trek's done it too.
                          Even Star Wars cuts it pretty close with just 6 films (Leia remembers how sad her mother was in the time she knew her?).
                          Not to mention Han saying that Jedi is an ancient religion when it was around in his lifetime.
                          Goodbye Christopher Hitchins 1949 - 2011

Comment

This seems very relevant to this thread: Kirk Vs. Kirk – Shatner And Pine Arm Wrestle

Comment

I dig on original Trek.
                              Take life with a Grain of salt and a shot of tequila!

Comment

sorry guys but

ever time-traveling episode of ST disagrees with that
                                don't get me wrong i liked JJ's ST alot it was really good, d@mn good in fact, i just wish it hadn't killed 60+ years of history so until they come out with something (movie or TV) that shows the Next Gen. + years are still around i'm intalled to my belief

IonFan says

MAGA then, MAGA now, MAGA FOREVER

Comment

Working...
                                X