This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Green Lantern Reader's Challenge

In honor of and in anticipation of the upcoming 75th anniversary of Green Lantern,I thought we could try a Green Lantern Reader's Challenge. By Reader's Challenge I'm thinking of something akin to The 2015 Reader Challenge where the participants have a lot of choices but are restricted by several categories. If you can, try to read the book. If you don't have access to what you want, but can discuss it anyway, feel free to do so.

For now, I'd like to try two comics a week for four weeks (the anniversary is May 21).

[EDIT]

I accidentally edited and deleted the week-one challenge, but it was (1) the origin of an alien GL; (2) the origin of a GL villain.
    Space Cop
    The Dandy
    Last edited by Space Cop; 05-17-2015, 05:06 PM.

Comment

Sounds cool. Never played the game. Does it count if the story is a backup strip?

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Davos View Post
        Sounds cool. Never played the game. Does it count if the story is a backup strip?
        Sure. I think that's a good idea to count since back in the day many characters were introduced in the GLC backup or in the short stories from GLC Quarterly.

Comment

That's what I was thinking. Lots of alien GLs made their debut that way.

Comment

I'd have to really dig into my collection to find an origin for a non-human GL. Most of the alien GL's don't really have origins, though. They just sort of show up.

Comment

Originally posted by Sylent_Asassin View Post
              I'd have to really dig into my collection to find an origin for a non-human GL. Most of the alien GL's don't really have origins, though. They just sort of show up.
              Yeah. First appearance is easier. You don't have to go further back than Venditti to find a new alien GL.

Comment

Yeah, Venditti has quite a few first appearance, new recruit aliens if I recall correctly.

Comment

The old "Tales of the GLC" backup that used to run was chock full of non-human GL origins, including Mogo.

Comment

I'm reading GL vol2 #130-132 for the 1st appearance of an alien GL. I chose Arkkis Chummuck, and the 3 part Tales Of The GLC back up strip he debuted in.

For villains, I picked the Javelin in GL vol 2 #173-174.

Comment

Ha! I pulled the first Javelin issue too! But I hadn't read it again, so I may switch just for variety's sake (I had a back up in mind).

I'm reading 148 and the premier of Ch'p right now. Will report back soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Davos View Post
                        For villains, I picked the Javelin in GL vol 2 #173-174.

I just got those issues (and just about all of his GL run) signed by Dave Gibbons a couple of weeks ago.

The Javelin was such a mort. He was killed more times than Kenny from South Park. Too bad Hal never got to do it.

Comment

So, for Challenge One, I picked Ch'p who first appeared in Green Lantern (series 2) #148

"But he's so bloody little!"

The main story is the one where Hal is called to the carpet by the GotU for choosing to help Ferris Aircraft over Ungara.

But the backup is the premier of Ch'p, who is called to save the an endangered planet, which in the past nearly destroyed his home planet of H'Lven. After some hesitation and a hiccup that allows another alien group to attack the sequestered planet, Ch'p saves the day.

Comment

So, for challenge two (of week one) ...

Who do all the kiddies want to be for Halloween? Who was everyone disappointed not to see as the baddie in The Green Lantern movie? Well, none other than ...

"Now you know why they call me the Dazzler."

So, Dazzler was a one-off GL baddie with a somewhat complicated origin. A tech from planet Ethor comes to earth to start a theater career (really) but ends up on special effects on a show about a super-powered thief. When he uses his mind powers to save the guy from a bad fall, the Dazzler coerces him into sharing his mind powers which he uses to makes doubles and otherwise negate GL's powers until Hal just ... wipes the guy's mind!

Comment

Reader's Challenge Week Two

I wanted to make things harder (maybe next week), but since we don't have a lot of players, let's do team-up week . . .

(1) Alan Scott teams up with another Green Lantern

(2) Hal Jordan teams up with another Green Lantern

Yes, I fully realize you can play it easy and read just one comic (with Alan and Hal) this week and that's fine, but if you want more fun down GL memory lane, don't forget that these two have teamed up with other quite a few times. Also, if you find it easier or better to count Sentinel Alan, Spectre Hal, Darkstar John, or Warrior Guy, that's fine with me.
                              Space Cop
                              The Dandy
                              Last edited by Space Cop; 05-03-2015, 06:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X