The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Miscellaneous > Movies & TV
FLASHCHAT

Movies and TV
View Poll Results: Which Star Wars Movie is Your Favorite?
Episode I: The Phantom Menace 1 1.12%
Episode II: Attack Of The Clones 1 1.12%
Episode III: Revenge Of The Sith 12 13.48%
Star Wars (aka Episode IV: A New Hope) 11 12.36%
Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back 34 38.20%
Episode VI: Return Of The Jedi 30 33.71%
Episode VII: The Force Awakens 0 0%
Episode VIII: The Last Jedi 0 0%
Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker 0 0%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-22-2018, 04:16 PM   #5176
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
I had that Death Star when I was a kid. Actually went through two of them. . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
My parents presumably still have that Death Star in a box somewhere. They haven't gotten rid of anything.
I had a single, working-class mom. She did get me toys, but I had to prioritize what was most important and consequently, though I had some Star Wars stuff, the two play sets I had were for He-Man.
Old 01-22-2018, 04:21 PM   #5177
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
I had a single, working-class mom. She did get me toys, but I had to prioritize what was most important and consequently, though I had some Star Wars stuff, the two play sets I had were for He-Man.
Awww, you're going to make me feel bad for being so spoiled!
Old 01-22-2018, 04:37 PM   #5178
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Awww, you're going to make me feel bad for being so spoiled!
Ha. Eh, I probably had more toys than a kid should anyway and eventually I got a Nintendo (though that was when a stepdad entered the picture), so I wasn't exactly the equivalent of a Depression kid playing kick the can. Mom was just always practical that way. She'd ask me "which of these is most important, because that's the only one I can afford." For instance, I didn't have any Transformers (that I remember) even though I was fan of the cartoon because they were lower on the ladder than He-Man for me and I'd rather get those (if it were a choice of 3 He-Man and 2 Transformers or 5 He-Man, I would've done the latter). But I had more He-Man than most of friends and they came with little comics I could re-read.

IIRC, the only thing for Star Wars toy I ever had bigger than a figure was the Y-Wing, which was pretty cool, because I think you could put R2 and one figure in it. I don't recall having any other vehicle or playset, but I could just forget. All that's survived from those is my Lando and Han figures.

EDIT: It's funny, but in that documentary I'm watching, they pretty much all confirm that the money in any of these lines isn't from the figures (Hama said the GI figures alone were a zero-sum affair) but all the accessories, vehicles, and especially big, expensive playsets.

Last edited by Space Cop; 01-22-2018 at 04:48 PM.
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 04:56 PM   #5179
Mister Ed

Quote:
EDIT: It's funny, but in that documentary I'm watching, they pretty much all confirm that the money in any of these lines isn't from the figures (Hama said the GI figures alone were a zero-sum affair) but all the accessories, vehicles, and especially big, expensive playsets.
Y'know, that doesn't surprise me. I seem to recall figures being a lot cheaper back then than they are now, more so than inflation would account for. We had a TON of Star Wars figures, and as far as I can tell, we bought most of them ourselves. I can't imagine my kids amassing anything NEAR the collection of figures we had in these days, not at the prices figures command NOW. Playsets and stuff were mostly gifted to us, though.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:04 PM   #5180
Space Cop
The Dandy

^Yeah, that's how I remember it. Figures were something I either got with allowance or the kind of thing that Mom would occasionally pick up during a regular shopping day (you need a new shirt for school and here's a Luke too), but playsets and vehicles were always birthday or Christmas gifts.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:38 PM   #5181
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

It's funny you guys mention that. I remember riding my bicycle to the department stores in town a lot with a few bucks in my pocket, buying figures. For like 5 or 6 bucks, I would get a couple of figures without begging my parents. And that was with allowance money from doing chores around the house. It was always on birthdays and Christmases that I got playsets and ships. I never had an AT-AT so I'm envious of you guys that did. My cousin did so the only chance I had to play with one was at his house.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:40 PM   #5182
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

One Christmas ('80? '81? '82?) I got this puppy. For like two weeks it was under the tree, haunting me by it's size, weight and mysterious sounds when I shook it. One morning a week before Christmas I snuck behind the tree while my parents were sleeping and pried open the wrapping and discovered what it was, then taped it back together. I was super excited to get it and had to act like I was surprised on Christmas morning.

To this day, my mom has no idea I pulled that.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:44 PM   #5183
Mister Ed

I had that, too.

I really had a LOT of Star Wars stuff. And a fair number of Transformers, too. I've still got the Transformers and have been passing them on to my youngest (started with my oldest, but he's passed the ones I gave him on, too), but the Star Wars stuff is still at my parents' house, across the country.

Last edited by Mister Ed; 01-22-2018 at 06:58 PM.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 06:48 PM   #5184
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
I had that, too.
It was kind of fun, you could fly it around, and it held a lot of figures at the same time.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:55 PM   #5185
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

For the action figure line, I had most of them as a kid, until the last 17. Anakin was the only one of those 17 that I had. I recently rebuilt my vintage collection and it cost me a lot more money that I thought it was going to, even doing it loose with original weapons. Makes me wish I could go back in time in a time machine and buy all of that again and keep them in packages.

Because the important thing if you have a time machine is not saving JFK, stopping Hitler, witnessing the birth of Christ, or the big bang...it's buying vintage Star Wars toys and golden age comics off the rack!
Old 01-22-2018, 09:57 PM   #5186
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

Quote:
^Yeah, that's how I remember it. Figures were something I either got with allowance or the kind of thing that Mom would occasionally pick up during a regular shopping day (you need a new shirt for school and here's a Luke too), but playsets and vehicles were always birthday or Christmas gifts.
Man, I wish. When I got school clothes, that was it and I was lucky to get them. If I asked for an action figure, the reply was usually, "Can you wear or eat that for dinner?" The only time I got something I wanted was for my Birthday or Christmas. I didn't get an allowance, so I had to trim hedges, mow lawns or knock on doors asking to wash cars around the neighborhood for my comic book money. It was tough, but it taught me responsibility and the value of money.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:45 PM   #5187
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylent_Asassin View Post
Man, I wish. When I got school clothes, that was it and I was lucky to get them. If I asked for an action figure, the reply was usually, "Can you wear or eat that for dinner?" The only time I got something I wanted was for my Birthday or Christmas. I didn't get an allowance, so I had to trim hedges, mow lawns or knock on doors asking to wash cars around the neighborhood for my comic book money. It was tough, but it taught me responsibility and the value of money.
I can respect that. You obviously learned the value of money and working for what you had.

Kids today have it so easy. My mom would give me cash for doing things around the house. I vacuumed, dusted, did dishes, mowed the lawn, etc. I got my first job at 13 working at the comic store and had my own keys to the place, so they trusted me. That covered me from 13 on, but before that I was at the mercy of my parents and grandparents.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:54 PM   #5188
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
...One Christmas ('80? '81? '82?) I got this puppy. For like two weeks it was under the tree, haunting me by it's size, weight and mysterious sounds when I shook it. One morning a week before Christmas I snuck behind the tree while my parents were sleeping and pried open the wrapping and discovered what it was, then taped it back together. I was super excited to get it and had to act like I was surprised on Christmas morning. To this day, my mom has no idea I pulled that.
It's funny you say that. As far back as I can remember, I hated to ruin the surprise of a wrapped gift. My mother could literally say "your gifts are in that closet" and I'd avoid it on principle. I remember once confessing (in near tears if I recall) becaue I saw a wrapped gift under a bed a few weeks before Christmas and was distressed that I knew the size of one of my gifts. That's the delayed gratifcation again, though. I used to insist I eat and shower before opening gifts on Christmas morning too because it was such a let-down to do those tings after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylent_Asassin View Post
We doing the "you had it so easy, I had to . . . " thing now.

IIRC, my allowance was usually spent on comics (I think I got a dollar a week and a dime went to the church; so figures required saving up). A lot of the figures I did get were actually by my aunts who were big time yard sale searchers, so a bunch of my He-Man were missing pieces.

But as I say, I still had it pretty easy as a kid. I never had a real summer job in my school years.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:58 PM   #5189
Mister Ed

Yeah, the concept of an "allowance" as just money you get for existing as part of the family? That's weird to me. My mom had this whole elaborate system of chores worth varying amounts, and we essentially had a chore "draft" where we took turns picking what chores we did. You could try to skate by picking the easiest chores, but you'd pay for it in reduced compensation.

I seem to recall, in addition to cash, there being some system of "coupons" which you traded in for various activities that the family as a whole did. If the family was going out to the movies, and you didn't have enough "coupons", you stayed home.

It was really complicated, and we kind of gave my mom a hard time about it. She organized the heck out of things. There were all kinds of charts and schedules throughout my childhood.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:04 PM   #5190
Space Cop
The Dandy

^Yeah, I had chores for the allowance too, but I'm an only child so there wasn't much point in charts and coupons. I know I dusted. I vaguely recall taking out the trash. Personal things like keeping my room tidy wouldn't count. That would be expected either way, but it didn't matter because by the age of 7 I pretty much hated things being dirty or out of place.

I would agree that allowance without expectations is a bad way to go.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:10 PM   #5191
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
I used to insist I eat and shower before opening gifts on Christmas morning too because it was such a let-down to do those tings after.
Man, you were hardcore patient!
Old 01-22-2018, 11:12 PM   #5192
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Yeah, the concept of an "allowance" as just money you get for existing as part of the family? That's weird to me. My mom had this whole elaborate system of chores worth varying amounts, and we essentially had a chore "draft" where we took turns picking what chores we did. You could try to skate by picking the easiest chores, but you'd pay for it in reduced compensation.

I seem to recall, in addition to cash, there being some system of "coupons" which you traded in for various activities that the family as a whole did. If the family was going out to the movies, and you didn't have enough "coupons", you stayed home.

It was really complicated, and we kind of gave my mom a hard time about it. She organized the heck out of things. There were all kinds of charts and schedules throughout my childhood.
Holy crap, talk about structure! I never had it that hard, so you and Sylent got me in that department. I was the first child and the first grandchild in the family and was spoiled rotten.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:26 PM   #5193
Mister Ed

Quote:
We insist on everybody eating before opening presents. Nobody has to shower, though (I usually don't even get dressed on Christmas, spending the entire day in my pajamas). I figure best to get breakfast out of the way, because after we open presents, everybody is going to want to USE them, and taking a break for breakfast is easier (especially for younger kids) BEFORE you know what you're taking time away from.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:30 PM   #5194
Mister Ed

Quote:
Holy crap, talk about structure! I never had it that hard, so you and Sylent got me in that department. I was the first child and the first grandchild in the family and was spoiled rotten.
On the other hand, my mom WAS really great about supporting my collection habit in some ways, to the extent that when we'd go to the store and find figures we didn't have, she'd gladly buy them right then and there, then put them in the closet and let us buy them from HER when we had the funds. Sure made it easier to complete a collection, since I never had to worry about figures disappearing off the shelves before I saved enough.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:57 PM   #5195
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
On the other hand, my mom WAS really great about supporting my collection habit in some ways, to the extent that when we'd go to the store and find figures we didn't have, she'd gladly buy them right then and there...
I remember as a kid I wasn't super into candy (didn't hate it; just didn't care that much), so the folks did Easter baskets with comic books instead of candy. I thought that was so cool.

Quote:
I was and am a square and a nerd.

Last edited by Space Cop; 01-23-2018 at 12:14 AM.
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 04:32 PM   #5196
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

I was a spoiled brat as a kid. Even now, my mom still likes buying Star Wars toys and merchandise.

I have that Death Star playset, but it's my second one that I made my wife (but she was my girlfriend at the time) buy for Christmas like 20 years ago from eBay. It was complete but no box. My first Death Star playset I bought from a friend who was transitioning to GI Joe.

I remember like 90% of my vintage Star Wars toys was boxed up and shipped to the less fortunate in the Philippines by my mom without my knowledge. I was in high school and my Star Wars toys were in boxes in the garage and my mom just wanted to clear space. I was really upset and she felt so guilty about it, which it probably why she still buys me Star Wars toys.
Old 01-23-2018, 04:59 PM   #5197
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

Quote:
My mom had a calendar and penciled in me and my sister's names for the days we had to do the dishes. I hated doing the dishes and still do to this day. We didn't get an allowance either. It was do the dishes or get whooped. Reluctantly, we chose the former.

Quote:
I was the opposite of spoiled. My younger sister was spoiled rotten because "she's a girl and she can't look bad," so she got new clothes while I rarely got anything. Jr. high was really difficult for me because I didn't have squat and my clothes were old and out of style, so I caught hell from the kids... and back then, it wasn't considered "bullying," but overlooked and justified as "kids will be kids." As a result, my grades suffered and so did my self-esteem.

When I turned 15, I got a work permit from school and got job at the local Flea Market and made my own money on the weekends to buy all the things that I never had. I bought designer clothes, designer shoes, Jordans, the works. To this day, I still sport designer clothes with the best brands, and if it's not dress clothes for work, it's sports jerseys on the weekend. Even though ripped jeans are in-style, I'll never buy or wear them because I really had ripped jeans as a kid when it wasn't a style. Now, I have all the comic books, action figures and video game systems that anyone could ever imagine, and it all stems from not having much when I was a kid.

I wasn't really into Star Wars toys as a youngster, but I was a Superfriends/Justice League nut, so all of those Super Powers toys that I didn't get as a kid are now in my collection. If Photobucket didn't convert into a pay site, they would still be on display in the "My collection" forum. Ah well...
Old 01-23-2018, 05:32 PM   #5198
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

In regards to the Star Wars line, what is your holy grail for a toy or collectible?

(This recently came up on Instagram by one of the people I follow, and while everyone had a TF as their holy grail, I had this

https://www.instagram.com/p/BeD5EdpgjXF/
Old 01-23-2018, 05:41 PM   #5199
Mister Ed

Hmm. I wonder if we have that somewhere. We've got a Cantina set (though the cardboard backdrop is missing, as I recall). Did that come with ALL the Cantina sets, or only some?
Old 01-23-2018, 05:55 PM   #5200
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Blue Snaggletooth only came with the Sears exclusive Cantina set. He was actually a mistake, since the red version that was sold regularly was a small tyke.