Are GREEN LANTERNS hard to write?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are GREEN LANTERNS hard to write?

Alan replaced by a dog..... Hal made into a middle aged man with issues of who he was,made to go out with a young alien,forced to share a title with green arrow his city got destroyed he went nuts became an awesome villain and was replaced by a young man,was actually kind of a bum for a while who was looked down upon by the other superheros,retconned into being a drunk driver, guy made into an alien with ridiculous body morphing abilities,brain damaged,was a parole officer for a time in the 90s as well as a PE instructor,given a yellow ring,given a red ring,koed by batman. John blew up a world due to his own arrogance?,his wife Katma killed by star saphirre (chopped up),made into a dark star, not even mentioned in emerald twilight,made into a guardian,just the whole mosaic series IMO (not including the short story) in GL,retconned into being a soldier when he was actually an architect,made the GL of the justice league cartoon because they needed a diverse cast.

All the GL characters have so much potential (baz doesnt count imo he was a character shoe horned into the mythos and force fed down our throats)but the writers seem to forget they have lives outside of the corps. Geoff Johns to his credit tried to give Hal some semblance of a civillian life. Kyle had an interesting life for 9 or 10 years before he was made a permanent space cop....Guy and John both took off there masks and revealed themselves to the world and yet they have had relationships outside of the corps. I just cannot explain how it seems like it is so hard to write green lantern stories for any length of time without making one of theme lose there ring,get a new colored ring,kill there girlfriend,have his girlfriend constantly leave him(HAL) or make him go nuts and do something totally out of character...... Hey lets make the guardians evil again, hey lets make HAL go on a walkabout and find himself,lets really mess with KYLE and kill his GF..... enough ranting and bad punctuation.

Comment

I think every comic hero would have a messed up history like that if you laid it out (Batman would be worse). It's the nature of the beast for a franchise nearing it's 75th. Comics are like soap operas--you have to leave on a cliff hanger and shake things up constantly so people changing status, quitting, getting miffed, is par for the course.

Comment

I don't find them hard to write, no. I mean, writing itself isn't easy, but the Green Lanterns have a vast, rich history and strong characters to draw on. If you use that, it's a fun task. But if you try to reinvent the wheel with them, then yes, that would be hard. Just don't be an egomaniac. Respect the past writers. Use what's already there, and build on it.
        Trey Strain
        Guardian of the Universe
        Last edited by Trey Strain; 02-11-2015, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Yo.

^^^ that.

Tazer

Originally posted by Andrew NDB
          Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.

Comment

Green Lantern isn't hard to write, but he's not a typical superhero and shouldn't be so something like The Road Back or Mosaic never bothered me. Granted, the death of Katma was just bad writing at it's finest and I was shocked that it was Christopher Priest who wrote that story. What I've noticed from the Jordan stories I've read over the years is that they start off alright but they always seem to lose steam in the end. GL has never had a story like Dark Knight Returns or Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow; that's what that character needs. Something that shows the essence of GL and uses it to build a great, timeless story.

Give 'em the evil look son!

Comment

Working...
            X