Big Daddy Dave's GL collection pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by genesistorm View Post
    Thanks Jim.. It was kinda' funny talkin' about sth you know so well to someone who knows nothing about it!
    I mean, I was like, "Sinestro this..", "The Guardians that.." , "Green is willpower", etc.. And she seemed genuinely interested! So we'll see what happens.. and to bring her to the boards, I'd have to hone her English skills a little bit first, even though her English is quite good..
    Thats what I did with my wife. I made her a little reading list, and it included:

Old GL origin stuff (Showcase 22, GL Vol 2 #7, #40, etc)
    Emerald Twilight
    Final Night
    Rebirth (Yes, I know I skipped Day of Judgement...I hated it and its a crappy read for a newbie)
    Then Rebirth, GL Recharge
    Then SCW

And now shes a fan

Comment

Dave:

You have a great collection. I am in the process of laying out my room to display my GL collection and I noticed that you have a number of action figures still in the box. I tend not to open mine (I am aware many disagree with this but), I was curious as to what you used to hang them on the wall. Is it a simple tac and if so, do you find that these hold up over time, without warping or damaging the package?

Thanks

Comment

This thread is an oldie!

We moved 5 years ago, so the room situation has completely changed. Not only do I have a ton more stuff now than I did in 2007, but my new house has room for only ONE comic room instead of the three that I had. As a result I had to box up a lot of my collection and store it in the attic. Things like Lord Of The Rings, Star Wars, all my slasher movie stuff, Planet of The Apes and a most of the DCD stuff I bought are all in storage.

The good thing about it was it made me step back and consider what parts of my collecting habits were bringing me the most joy. The one comic room I have is crammed with all of my favorite stuff, and is a lot more impressive looking than any one room was in my old house. It also forced me to stop collecting a lot of stuff for space reasons which ended up being a good thing.

I'm in the process of making a few new shelves on a wall that I'm not using to full effect. When it's done it'll give me two shelves instead of one for shrines for Swamp Thing, Doom Patrol, The Thing, as well as better spaces for Watchmen, Metal Men and a few other things. I'll take some new pics when it's done.

Comment

Originally posted by Emerald Sinner View Post
          I was curious as to what you used to hang them on the wall. Is it a simple tac and if so, do you find that these hold up over time, without warping or damaging the package?
          I just use the push pins (not plain thumb tacks as they are a pain in the ass). They've always worked out great. The package hangs on the push pin like a peg in a store, but stays flat against the wall. In 20 years I've never had any warping.

Comment

Wow! Since this ancient thread has been resurrected, and I hadn't seen it before, took a look around. And my eyes zeroed in on that BLACK AND WHITE ORIGINAL DC ARTWORK PANEL. I can't place the issue, altho' it's a GL-GA appearance interior page. Dave, what's that and who did it? Looks like McLaughlin...??

The power of will is found at the deepest level of your being. It's more than mere rules. It's a duty that you must honor.

Comment

That page in the pic is from GL/GA #117. Joe Staton did the pencils, and if IRC Dick Giordano did the inks. Original artwork started to become my thing after I finished filling the last whole in my collection. Now I keep all of the art I own in a nice portfolio.

Comment

Sorry for the resurrection. Lol. Trying to figure out a way to display stuff in a logical manner that looks good is challenging. I like your idea of hanging the figures directly on the wall, because shelving can be expensive. I would also like to reserve shelving and display cabinets for statues, props etc. Plus, I am also looking into making a comic display cabinet similar to the Comic Tombs. I think they have a really good idea but I believe they are about a grand in cost and I'm not paying that for a filing cabinet.

Thanks for your input and again, really nice collection.

Comment

Damn, this is an oldie. I hadn't seen it until now. Quite the impressive collection even then Dave. And never had seen a pic of you. You actually look exactly how I imagined, that rarely happens.

Follow The Nobodies Comic on Facebook or Twitter

Comment

I expected him to look older, and weather-beaten; kind of like the curmudgeon he says he is... and I hadn't seen this thread either. It was created back in 2007, which was before my time here. Nice collection, Dave. You need updated photos.

Comment

Originally posted by Emerald Sinner View Post
                      Sorry for the resurrection. Lol. Trying to figure out a way to display stuff in a logical manner that looks good is challenging. I like your idea of hanging the figures directly on the wall...
                      Hopefully I'll have pictures next week but for all my blister pack stuff (where they'd hang on pegs in a store) my step dad set up this system of using a kind of nylon string wrapped around pins. They all just hang from them and that way I punch much fewer holes in the wall and don't need unsightly pegboard (like I used to do).

Comment

Decided to just take some pix and show you. Here's the whole effect.

And here's how it's done:

At first, I didn't know if I liked the idea because of the lack of straight lines and spacing, but now I prefer it. It's a little more visually interesting and it allows the addition of new pieces without extra holes (well, until recently).

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                          Decided to just take some pix and show you. Here's the whole effect.

And here's how it's done:

At first, I didn't know if I liked the idea because of the lack of straight lines and spacing, but now I prefer it. It's a little more visually interesting and it allows the addition of new pieces without extra holes (well, until recently).
                          Wow. First, very cool collection of Simpsons characters. That's awesome. Second, I do like your idea and that you can add/subtract without having to leave holes, make new ones etc.

My goal is to have a Hal centric portion, then a GLC portion, and a Sinestro portion. But I am trying to figure out whether I want to keep my statues/busts with the figures or separate them. For instance, do I put shelving up so that my Hal statues are situated with the figures? But then some of the statues kind of go together, like the DC Dynamics Hal and Sinestro. Forgive my inner monologue.

In any case, I do like the flexibility of your set up and very much appreciate you posting the pics.

Comment

I never would have thought about using a string to hang them like a clothesline. A clever way to do it if making holes is an issue.

Comment

Here's some from the room the way it is now. I took some of these pics a while ago, but I'll try to post the ones of shrines that haven't changed much.

Comment

One of two Green Arrow shelves. Back when Green Arrow MATTERED. (sigh...)

And the other.

Comment

Working...
                                X