The Star Wars Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sylent_Asassin View Post
    But, Ventress didn't throw temper tantrums, nor try to reach back to a murderous fiend that she never knew for guidance. Sure, KR didn't get split in two, but he got touched up by Finn, who was a cowardly Stormtrooper janitor with very little skill, and his ass handed to him by someone that has ZERO knowledge of the Force.

Bottom line, Kylo Ren is a Darth Vader wannabe that never will be, homage mask and all.
    I got the impression that Kylo Ren is at the beginning of his journey, much like Anakin and Luke were whiny and not yet competent at the beginning of their series. Kylo is going though the darkside version of that journey and we're going to see it over the course of the three new films. I was surprised that they went as far as to have Rey defeat him like she did, that seems like it would have been saved for a later movie. It also makes me think they may have other plans for Rey and Kylo Ren than the textbook confrontations we are probably all assuming are coming. Luke is in this and not dead in the first movie like Qui-Gon or Obi-Wan and that is going to affect the overall story.

Also, I'm not convinced Hux is who he says he is. Leia seems to keep getting convenient information fed to her about the FO's plans. How did she know what the next targets were? I dunno, just a thought.

Comment

• Just as an aside (since her name was brought up and has nothing to do with TFA), Ventress' fate was described in the book Dark Disciple by Christie Goldie, which is considered canon according to Disney. I enjoyed that book very much.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sylent_Asassin View Post
        But, Ventress didn't throw temper tantrums, nor try to reach back to a murderous fiend that she never knew for guidance. Sure, KR didn't get split in two, but he got touched up by Finn, who was a cowardly Stormtrooper janitor with very little skill, and his ass handed to him by someone that has ZERO knowledge of the Force.

Bottom line, Kylo Ren is a Darth Vader wannabe that never will be, homage mask and all.
        Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
        I got the impression that Kylo Ren is at the beginning of his journey, much like Anakin and Luke were whiny and not yet competent at the beginning of their series. Kylo is going though the darkside version of that journey and we're going to see it over the course of the three new films. I was surprised that they went as far as to have Rey defeat him like she did, that seems like it would have been saved for a later movie. It also makes me think they may have other plans for Rey and Kylo Ren than the textbook confrontations we are probably all assuming are coming. Luke is in this and not dead in the first movie like Qui-Gon or Obi-Wan and that is going to affect the overall story.

Also, I'm not convinced Hux is who he says he is. Leia seems to keep getting convenient information fed to her about the FO's plans. How did she know what the next targets were? I dunno, just a thought.
        I agree that Kylo Ren is just at the start of his journey towards the Darkside. And the comparison to Ventress wasn't the personality traits but rather the status of the Sith training. Both Kylo and Asajj yearn to be a Sith and act as if they are truly one, but they're not. And I like Kylo's temper tantrums as they demonstrate in a physical way his rage and anger, rather than the whinny and bitchyness of Anakin in the prequels. And like how Big Daddy posted above, Kylo is going though the darkside version of that journey and we're going to see it over the course of the three new films, which is something to look forward to.

However, there is thought that Rey and Kylo will switch paths. That Rey will become a Sith and Kylo will redeem himself as the light continues to call him. And there the scene at the end where Rey is beating Kylo and right before the ground caves in between them, Rey looks like she enjoys the power of the Force a little too much. A Jedi may not crave these things.

As far as Fin fighting Kylo and going toe-to-toe with him, well Finn was training as a child to be a Stormtrooper and as we seen in the trailer, a Stormtrooper had a weapon that could stand up to a lightsaber, giving the impression they were training in fencing in case they came across a Jedi. We've seen in the prequels that non-Force users are trained in Jedi techniques/lightsabers as demonstrated by General Grevious and his robot Guards Moreover, Kylo was shot by a big blast from Chewie. We saw the impact of Chewie's crossbow rife when Han used it on normal Stormtroopers. . Also, I thought that Kylo was kind of toying with Fin the same way Vader toyed with Luke in Empire.

See, unlike the original trilogy, The Force Awakens presents two padawans are their paths to their destinies rather than a young apprentice trying to discover his path. This will be the heart and backbone to this new trilogy.
        Darth_Primus
        Guardian of the Universe
        Last edited by Darth_Primus; 12-21-2015, 06:51 PM.
        You just witnessed the strength of geek knowledge. N.W.A., Nerd With Attitude. Straight out of Vulcan!

Comment

• Oh, one quick question-would someone be kind enough to tell me if there were any nods or references to Star Wars Rebels in TFA? Spoiler tags or PM are fine, thank you in advance.

Comment

• As far as I can tell there were no references to the Rebels animated series.
            You just witnessed the strength of geek knowledge. N.W.A., Nerd With Attitude. Straight out of Vulcan!

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth_Primus View Post
              As far as I can tell there were no references to the Rebels animated series.
              Thank you, sir.

Comment

• No problem.

Are you planning to see the movie?

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth_Primus View Post
                  I agree that Kylo Ren is just at the start of his journey towards the Darkside. And the comparison to Ventress wasn't the personality traits but rather the status of the Sith training. Both Kylo and Asajj yearn to be a Sith and act as if they are truly one, but they're not. And I like Kylo's temper tantrums as they demonstrate in a physical way his rage and anger, rather than the whinny and bitchyness of Anakin in the prequels. And like how Big Daddy posted above, Kylo is going though the darkside version of that journey and we're going to see it over the course of the three new films, which is something to look forward to.

However, there is thought that Rey and Kylo will switch paths. That Rey will become a Sith and Kylo will redeem himself as the light continues to call him. And there the scene at the end where Rey is beating Kylo and right before the ground caves in between them, Rey looks like she enjoys the power of the Force a little too much. A Jedi may not crave these things.

As far as Fin fighting Kylo and going toe-to-toe with him, well Finn was training as a child to be a Stormtrooper and as we seen in the trailer, a Stormtrooper had a weapon that could stand up to a lightsaber, giving the impression they were training in fencing in case they came across a Jedi. We've seen in the prequels that non-Force users are trained in Jedi techniques/lightsabers as demonstrated by General Grevious and his robot Guards Moreover, Kylo was shot by a big blast from Chewie. We saw the impact of Chewie's crossbow rife when Han used it on normal Stormtroopers. . Also, I thought that Kylo was kind of toying with Fin the same way Vader toyed with Luke in Empire.

See, unlike the original trilogy, The Force Awakens presents two padawans are their paths to their destinies rather than a young apprentice trying to discover his path. This will be the heart and backbone to this new trilogy.
                  Wow I hope you're wrong, turning Rey evil and that whiny little bitch "good" would be the worst thing in the history of Star Wars.

Comment

• Well, it's not my prediction but some of the fan theories I've came across after reading/watching some reviews. But we kind of already saw that with Anakin.

I didn't want the movie to end where it did. I wanted Luke to confirm whether or not Rey is his daughter. There's a debate among Star Wars fans whether she is truly Luke's daughter. For me, I'm thinking she is.

Also, Chewie shot first.

Comment

• If Rae is Luke's daughter, that means he strayed from the teachings of the Jedi and forged a relationship with someone, much like Anakin with Padme. That would also mean that Luke would no longer be a Jedi... not that there's anyone around to exile him from the order.

The only other explanation would be that Rae was cloned from the DNA of Luke's severed hand in ESB. I'm still wondering how Maz Kanata got a hold of Luke's saber from ESB and how it survived the impact of the fall on the Death Star. Maybe Luke's hand helped to cushion the fall.

Comment

• I hate the thought of Rey being a clone and/or a virgin birth like Anakin , which some have speculated. Some have also theorized that Rey is the daughter of Han and Leia, and the film is just cherry picking and modifying elements for the Extended Universe.

Comment

• Rey simply HAS to be the daughter of Luke Skywalker. Either his daughter, or Leia's with Han. By all the laws of Star Wars storytelling, she is not simply a new character with no blood ties to any existing character. When they do the closeup on Luke's face at the end, you can see the pain, sadness, and regret. Regret that he left his daughter to try to save her? Regret that she's come into a life he would have saved her from? Sadness that his best friend has been murdered by his nephew and former padawan? Pain over not being able to help save the ones he loves? That last scene said a lot.

Comment

• Yo.

Originally posted by Darth_Primus View Post
                            As far as Fin fighting Kylo and going toe-to-toe with him, well Finn was training as a child to be a Stormtrooper and as we seen in the trailer, a Stormtrooper had a weapon that could stand up to a lightsaber, giving the impression they were training in fencing in case they came across a Jedi. We've seen in the prequels that non-Force users are trained in Jedi techniques/lightsabers as demonstrated by General Grevious and his robot Guards.
                            ok, but the problem with that though is Fin got *his ass whooped* by that ST w/Z6 baton, and while granted this is assuming they both had the SAME AMOUNT.....that ST had him on the ropes, w/o having suffered a hit as I recall, and ended up looking far superior in his fight w/Fin than Kylo did (if anything, Fin shouldn't known wat to do/not to do in that fight than his opponent, given the weapon he had.)

and yes, that's allowing for him having been gut-shot by Chewie.

Tazer

Originally posted by Andrew NDB
                            Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.

Comment

• My son is positive they tweaked the sound effects on the lightsabers to make them more powerful sounding. I think he may be right as he has a good ear for these things.

Comment

• My thoughts on where Rey comes from:

She will be a clone of Luke Skywalker. I don't see her being a daughter to anyone, as that would have been some extreme plot diversion in Episode VII. NO ONE brought up the fact that she was related to someone.

However, being a clone of Luke Skywalker, make sense both in the world of Star Wars, and the fact that she wasn't mentioned as being important by anyone.

END

Originally posted by Sylent_Asassin View Post
                                If Rae is Luke's daughter, that means he strayed from the teachings of the Jedi and forged a relationship with someone, much like Anakin with Padme. That would also mean that Luke would no longer be a Jedi... not that there's anyone around to exile him from the order.

The only other explanation would be that Rae was cloned from the DNA of Luke's severed hand in ESB. I'm still wondering how Maz Kanata got a hold of Luke's saber from ESB and how it survived the impact of the fall on the Death Star. Maybe Luke's hand helped to cushion the fall.
                                Or he built a new one He had a lot of time.
                                JohnnyV
                                Pictionary Master
                                Last edited by JohnnyV; 12-21-2015, 09:58 PM.

Follow The Nobodies Comic on Facebook or Twitter

Comment

Working...
                                X