The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Other Comics
FLASHCHAT

Miscellaneous GL Comics

Old 09-13-2017, 11:27 PM   #26
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
No, I think he'd become a lumberjack after that. And that's okay.
He isn't Will Ferrel. He lacks both beard and chest hair. Your idea is ludicrous.

Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner
Agent Purple is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 11:28 PM   #27
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Post deleted.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 09-15-2017 at 01:40 AM.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 11:28 PM   #28
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Folks, this stuff is getting scary. It's like what I said about software soon making test pilots obsolete, and most posters at CBR ignorantly scoffed. People just don't grasp how fast and radically the world is changing.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/c...035552310.html

Last edited by Trey Strain; 09-15-2017 at 01:54 AM.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:38 PM   #29
-//V\\-
Guardian of the Universe

Heroes could just go to wearing masks that cover more of their faces. Problem solved. Comics don't need to change any more than they already have. You can only do real-world problems in comics so many times before it gets old. The whole concept is based on fans' suspension of disbelief.

And sooner or later somebody will hack all the smartphones from a network and fuck some shit up. And on that day smartphones will be more of a risk and less of a way to ignore people you don't wanna talk to.

Having the internet in every piece of technology will eventually stop. Maybe not in my lifetime, but sooner than later people will realize what a dumb idea it was to begin with. You can't connect everything. Because then when one things fucks up... EVERYTHING fucks up. A car from the 70's is vastly superior to modern cars for one reason... no computer chip bullshit.

~//V\\~

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world." - Albert Einstein
-//V\\- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 12:33 AM   #30
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by -//V\\- View Post
...A car from the 70's is vastly superior to modern cars for one reason... no computer chip bullshit...
Plus they had a better design. What the hell is with all the blocky cars? Who decided that would be the look?
Old 09-16-2017, 07:13 AM   #31
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

The idea of a guy who always happens to be looking out his mansion's window to see whether the hapless police are projecting a signal against a cloud to call him, then drives a weird, souped up car out of a rural cave and into downtown, climbs a skyscraper with a rope, throws some boomerangs, and lassos some grotesque villain and delivers him kicking and screaming to those cops, required a suspension of disbelief in 1939.

But there's only so much belief that people can suspend The surveillance state we all live in now has made that scenario just too unbelievable, and sooner or later people will dismiss it.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 09-16-2017 at 11:15 AM.
Old 09-16-2017, 12:53 PM   #32
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
...But there's only so much belief that people can suspend The surveillance state we all live in now has made that scenario just too unbelievable, and sooner or later people will dismiss it.
I don't think comic book readers think that way. "I can accept that a man would dress like a bat (with pointy ears), carry a kryptonite ring in case he has to fight his alien friend, and fight a man who looks like a crocodile, but I have to quit the comic now because it's unrealistic that facial recognition wouldn't blow his cover since his lips are exposed."
Old 09-16-2017, 02:25 PM   #33
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
I don't think comic book readers think that way. "I can accept that a man would dress like a bat (with pointy ears), carry a kryptonite ring in case he has to fight his alien friend, and fight a man who looks like a crocodile, but I have to quit the comic now because it's unrealistic that facial recognition wouldn't blow his cover since his lips are exposed."
It's not all about facial recognition. That's the least of it.

We're living in a world that's increasingly filled with video cameras, motion detectors, night vision, heat detectors, drones, Google Street and Google Satellite imagery, voice recognition, public and private databases, and online information-sharing. Every day, the concept of someone doing what Batman does recedes further into the past.

He and the rest of the DCU will have to be placed in the past or updated to the present.

Super-hero stories might have to become like Westerns -- that is, period pieces. There's nothing necessarily wrong with that.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 09-16-2017 at 02:51 PM.
Old 09-16-2017, 03:46 PM   #34
-//V\\-
Guardian of the Universe

I'm sorry but.... weren't you trying to make the argument period piece comics being detached from the modern era are why JSA and the Legion of Superheroes don't work? Now you want them to put all the comics in decades gone by? Am I reading this right?

If you want comics that break down the superhero concept in more real world situations go read some Image titles. Only problem is now they have a fractured superhero universe because of Mcfarland taking his toys to his own imprint, same as the Shadowhawk guy Jim Valentino, Wildstorm was bought by DC, and more recent superheroish attempts were mostly done between the Witchblade related Top Cow imprint and the Invincible related comics. And Rob Liefeld's stuff was barely worth putting into the universe to begin with....

If technology advancing was such a problem, things like Batman Beyond wouldn't be as popular as they are.

~//V\\~

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world." - Albert Einstein
-//V\\- is offline   Reply With Quote