GL Vol. 3 (1990-2004)
    36.36%
    GL Vol. 2 (1960-1988)
    27.27%
    GL Vol. 1 (1941-1949)
    0.00%

There can be only one!

Comment

Speaking of which, what are we going to call the current GL series? Volume 6? Or volume 7?

Comment

Volume 3 was my favorite, probably just because it was when I started reading regularly. I am a big fan of Volume 2 as well, though (and Mosiac wasn't even a choice, or I might have picked that).

Comment

I started with volume 2. To me that will always be the "real" Green Lantern series. Took me a long time to track down every issue to complete it. If my house ever catches fire, that longbox is the first thing coming out.

Comment

I admit, I was torn. GL Vol. 2 is truly the definitive volume (literally) of GL and has maybe the most thought provoking and entirely original stories and ideas... but weighed against 11 years of Kyle? Who I most identified with and brought me into GL? Gotta give it to Vol. 3.

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
            Speaking of which, what are we going to call the current GL series? Volume 6? Or volume 7?
            No question in my book, it should be considered (The) Green Lantern, Vol. 6.

If "Hal Jordan & The GLC" had been called "Hal Jordan the Green Lantern" or something somesuch it would be different. If anything, there could be a case for it being considered GLC Vol. 3.

Comment

The other option is that Green Lanterns (plural) would be volume 6. It's only that pesky S on the end. Not that I want to legitimize that run starring those two morts.

Comment

I started with volume 2. To me that will always be the "real" Green Lantern series. ..
                Ditto. I started in vol. 2, but jumping around (vol. 3 was the first time I consciously kept up). Most of my favorite stories are in there.

. . . If my house ever catches fire, that longbox is the first thing coming out.
                Probably should make sure the wife gets out first. Just saying.

Yeah, I'll go with whatever Overstreet does.

Comment

The other option is that Green Lanterns (plural) would be volume 6. It's only that pesky S on the end. Not that I want to legitimize that run starring those two morts.
                  Nah, that's Green Lanterns, first and last volume.

Comment

I'm curious as to what the consensus will be. Good point about Overstreet.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Heide View Post
                      Nah, that's Green Lanterns, first and last volume.
                      Yeah you're probably right.

Comment

The same argument would make it likely that this will just be considered volume one of "The Green Lantern."

Sure, the guides acknowlege vol. 2 as one unit even when it changed to GL/GA and then to GLC, but that was because the numbering remained (it started as GL and kept the numbers through the changes). This series is starting out with a (sort of) different title (just like GLs and HJ&tGLC).

Comment

Although I started with Hal, John, and Guy, and mostly read on a consistent basis with Kyle, I would have to say Blackest Night and the Emotional Spectrum is the best storyline of all storylines. Until it ran out of control at the very end, leading to the confusing Brightest Day. Volume Four.

Comment

When Wally's Flash series started DC dropped "The" from the title like Barry's had done. Years later they changed it back so Wally's run went from "Flash" to "The Flash". And that was still the next volume. Add to that the confusion that the first 104 issues that Barry's run extended from was actually "Flash Comics", which wasn't actually Jay Garrick's solo title. Flash Comics 1-104 was an anthology comic like Action, More Fun or All-American Comics. Jay was only one strip among several in the title. Jay's ACTUAL title was All-Flash which ran from 1-32. In retrospect, DC should have started Barry's run with #33 and not #105. But 105 sounded more impressive.

So long story short, I have no problem counting The Green Lantern as the next official volume of GL.

Comment

Volume 2 is my favorite volume. It's by far the most creative volume for me, and I think it gets especially awesome when SteveEnglehart started writing it. Even though there is a lot of bizarre stuff in it when it became the Green Lantern Corp, I still find myself loving it. After that, it's volume 3, especially the earliest parts of it. I like the early Gerard Jones stories as much as I like my favorite stories from volume 2. I think Kyle Rayner's portion of volume 3 is good when Ron Marz was writing it. Winnick and Raab didn't do anything for me, and the "No Green Lantern Corps" mandate lasted way too long for my tastes.

This is the first time I've thought about it, but...I... haven't really liked much beyond volume 3 o__o

Believe it or not, I try to give the Geoff Johns stuff chances every now and then, but it always winds up just as I remember it. None of it really appeals to me, and it goes completely off the rails after Sinestro Corps War. That leads right into Alpha Lanterns which leads right into Rage of the Red Lanterns, and Agent Orange is in there somewhere, and that stuff just doesn't stop until Wrath of the First Lantern, which is in volume 5. For me, it's just one giant string of bad. I guess if you're into that stuff it's fine, but if you're not, it just doesn't stop, and there is no hope for you liking that run. Every time I give the Johns run a try, I always come to that realization and stop.

Volume 5 is not really worth mentioning. It's Geoff Johns at his worst and then followed up by Robert Venditti, who is probably the most boring Green Lantern writer in history.

It's too early for me to make any decision about the Grant Morrison run.
                              ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

Working...
                              X