The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Red Lanterns/Warrior/Guy Gardner
FLASHCHAT

Red Lanterns
View Poll Results: Rate RL #13
* 1 10.00%
** 1 10.00%
*** 4 40.00%
**** 3 30.00%
***** 1 10.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-24-2012, 03:24 AM   #1
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West
Default Red Lanterns #13 *Preview/Spoilers*

Red Lanterns #13 PREVIEW
Writer: Peter Milligan
Artist: Miguel Sepulveda
Old 10-24-2012, 01:54 PM   #2
IonFan
Forum Member

i'm getting it BUT the art sucks again

IonFan says

Quote:
MAGA then, MAGA now, MAGA FOREVER
IonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:58 PM   #3
BlackZero30x
Guy's Drinking Buddy

Soo who else thinks that the Guardians are going to have to die for the Third Army to die?

Anyways imo the arts not terrible. I like the character design....except for dexstarr and the symbol is kinda bad. I will buy this.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:31 PM   #4
Lantern A-train
Guardian of the Universe

I'm only buying this to complete the picture on the covers and frame it...
Old 10-24-2012, 08:28 PM   #5
Space Cop
The Dandy

The story was fairly decent but the art was indeed bad. It was inconsistent like different artists did it even though that wasn't the case. And on p.11 Atrocitus looks like a dwarf.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:40 PM   #6
Gauntlet101010
Alpha-Lantern

We have ourselves a true redshirt moment in this book. We also learn pretty quickly about how to kill the third army and, likely, what their ultimate downfall will be.

This "event" just started. Shouldn't we have a certain grace period where these things are considered unstoppable?
Gauntlet101010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:47 AM   #7
Mechinoid
Hal's Understudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gauntlet101010 View Post
We have ourselves a true redshirt moment in this book. We also learn pretty quickly about how to kill the third army and, likely, what their ultimate downfall will be.

This "event" just started. Shouldn't we have a certain grace period where these things are considered unstoppable?
True, but it's not like the other corps are going to be popping out eyes...I think. I did like that the third army had to do more than just touch the Red Lantern corps' members though.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:01 AM   #8
TorchBearer2814
Corps Honor Guard

i like how atrocitus took on those guardian things but the art needs help lol .
Old 10-25-2012, 01:38 PM   #9
Gauntlet101010
Alpha-Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechinoid View Post
True, but it's not like the other corps are going to be popping out eyes...I think. I did like that the third army had to do more than just touch the Red Lantern corps' members though.
I could see the Sin Corps (although they're defunct right now) doing that.

It's not that I object to the Reds being the one to discover it, it's that it seems too soon for it to happen. I mean, we were shown not only how they could be killed, but how they will ALL be killed eventually - through that telepathic link.

I kind of figured they'd have a telepathic link that could be used against them all, but it's one thing to guess at it and another to be outright shown right at the start. This event just started. Shouldn't their weakness be revealed a little later on?
Old 10-25-2012, 04:40 PM   #10
Virgos
Corps Recruit

I liked this issue, I thought it was pretty well done. And as for the giving away how to defeat them... I have a little more faith in Johns than that, I'm sure he's got some revelation in this story, and everything we think we know about the third army and the guardians, will turn out to be wrong, or somewhat wrong. Just going by his story telling in Blackest night, and how he led up to that event, I'm gonna wait and see how this pans out... I mean after all, it has just started.
Virgos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:15 PM   #11
Gauntlet101010
Alpha-Lantern

But Jhons didn't write this issue. It's entirely possible the writer HERE gave away too much too soon.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:22 PM   #12
Lantern A-train
Guardian of the Universe

I highly doubt any Green Lantern related script gets to the page without passing by GJ's desk and eyes for "approval"
Old 10-25-2012, 07:22 PM   #13
SD80MAC
Not a True Fan

I doubt that would've escaped Johns' notice.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:21 PM   #14
Gauntlet101010
Alpha-Lantern

You can't blame every single detail of every single series pertaining to GL on Johns. Eventually it has to fall on the writers of individual comics. And this particular event doesn't really "cross over" - each series is doing it's own thing. It's much more independant than the Sinister Corps War.

That being the case, Johns does not write Red Lanterns. So he can't really get the blame for it.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:33 PM   #15
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Every single detail? No we can't blame every single detail on Johns. A major revelation that is important to the entire crossover? If you seriously believe that some other writer snuck that by without Johns approving it, I don't know what to say.

That said, I'm not judging the "earliness" of the revelation until we see how this plays out.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:28 AM   #16
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD80MAC View Post
I doubt that would've escaped Johns' notice.
Why? He can't be bothered to remember details from issues he wrote six MONTHS ago. How can he tighten the leash on anyone else?
Old 10-26-2012, 02:58 AM   #17
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

Johns isn't an editor. Its the editorial staff that failed in their duty...to keep Johns' vision intact.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:04 AM   #18
Gauntlet101010
Alpha-Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
Every single detail? No we can't blame every single detail on Johns. A major revelation that is important to the entire crossover? If you seriously believe that some other writer snuck that by without Johns approving it, I don't know what to say.

That said, I'm not judging the "earliness" of the revelation until we see how this plays out.
Johns has not only his own books to keep in order, but has a broad creative view of EVERYTHING DC related.

I think he was given a synopsys of the 3rd army plotline in Red Lanterns. I think that synopsys included this revelation. But do i think he knew the details of this particular issue given that this is supposed to be an independant story that only shares a common enemy with the one book he's writing?

No I do not. This is the failure of the RL's writer and editor (as West pointed out). Both of them ought to have known better; you can't expect Johns to babysit everyone on all GL related books.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:42 PM   #19
SD80MAC
Not a True Fan

Review time... http://indigotribe.wordpress.com/201...d-lanterns-13/
Old 10-26-2012, 01:04 PM   #20
JohnMc
Weaponer of Qward

Quote:

Since its "Not an event that leads into an Event" I can see them wanting to get to the point of this right away and get onto the actual event.
JohnMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:14 PM   #21
Space Cop
The Dandy

I'm sure the eye weakness is not the final solution. However, they'll now have to work around it. Perhaps 3A will adapt and protect their eyes?
Old 10-26-2012, 01:28 PM   #22
SD80MAC
Not a True Fan

If we see the Third Army wearing goggles, I'm going to laugh.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:35 PM   #23
Gauntlet101010
Alpha-Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc View Post
Since its "Not an event that leads into an Event" I can see them wanting to get to the point of this right away and get onto the actual event.
Well, this "not an event" is still going to last a few months, so it's not like they're speeding anything up here.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:11 PM   #24
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Quote:
Johns has not only his own books to keep in order, but has a broad creative view of EVERYTHING DC related.

I think he was given a synopsys of the 3rd army plotline in Red Lanterns. I think that synopsys included this revelation. But do i think he knew the details of this particular issue given that this is supposed to be an independant story that only shares a common enemy with the one book he's writing?

No I do not. This is the failure of the RL's writer and editor (as West pointed out). Both of them ought to have known better; you can't expect Johns to babysit everyone on all GL related books.
All I can say is I have a VERY hard time believing that Johns was not aware of when a major plot point in an event he conceived was going to be shown. In fact I find it impossible to believe. The exact details of how they did it? Maybe not. But that it was going to be in this issue? I cannot believe he didn't know. But I'm not really thinking that it was necessarily a "mistake" to show it so "early", anyway. I don't see how I could determine that until after I see where the whole thing is going.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:55 PM   #25
Gauntlet101010
Alpha-Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
All I can say is I have a VERY hard time believing that Johns was not aware of when a major plot point in an event he conceived was going to be shown. In fact I find it impossible to believe. The exact details of how they did it? Maybe not. But that it was going to be in this issue? I cannot believe he didn't know. But I'm not really thinking that it was necessarily a "mistake" to show it so "early", anyway. I don't see how I could determine that until after I see where the whole thing is going.
We'll have to agree to disagree then, because I find it impossible to believe Johns would be aware of the plot points of every issue in each GL book involved within a non crossover "event" like this. The broader storyline; that the plot point would be revealed in said storyline? Sure. That it'll be revealed in this issue? No, I doubt it. He has books of his own to write.

People are a bit too hasty to blame Johns for everything. But he's not the editor or writer of Red Lanterns.

Last edited by Gauntlet101010; 10-26-2012 at 03:24 PM.