The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > General > General/About Us
FLASHCHAT

General

Old 11-30-2020, 01:25 AM   #5376
Space Cop
The Dandy

In tribute, I decided to re-watch that movie where Prowse plays a big, imposing, silent guy that threatens the main character ... A Clockwork Orange, of course.

Old 11-30-2020, 01:27 AM   #5377
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe

https://www.theguardian.com/football...r-dies-aged-42

Papa Bouba Diop, the former Senegal midfielder who scored the first goal of the 2002 World Cup against France, has died at the age of 42.

World football’s governing body posted a tribute to Diop on Twitter. “Fifa is saddened to learn of the passing of Senegal legend Papa Bouba Diop,” Sunday’s statement read. “Once a World Cup hero, always a World Cup hero."
Old 11-30-2020, 04:47 AM   #5378
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister.Weirdo View Post
https://www.theguardian.com/football...r-dies-aged-42

Papa Bouba Diop, the former Senegal midfielder who scored the first goal of the 2002 World Cup against France, has died at the age of 42.

World football’s governing body posted a tribute to Diop on Twitter. “Fifa is saddened to learn of the passing of Senegal legend Papa Bouba Diop,” Sunday’s statement read. “Once a World Cup hero, always a World Cup hero."
Ooooof 42? Thats young

I'm not homophobic you are hetrophobic so thank you fuck you bye
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 12:28 AM   #5379
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe

https://deadline.com/2020/11/abby-da...ey-1234635253/

Abby Dalton, an Emmy-nominated actress known for her early roles on such series as comedy-drama Hennessey and The Joey Bishop Show who reenergized her career in the 1980s as a star of the primetime hit soap Falcon Crest, died November 23 in Los Angeles following a long illness. She was 88.

Her death was announced by her spokesperson Sue Procko.
Old 12-01-2020, 12:40 AM   #5380
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
In tribute, I decided to re-watch that movie where Prowse plays a big, imposing, silent guy that threatens the main character ... A Clockwork Orange, of course.

That was David Prowse? lol... like 30 years, I never knew that was him.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 01:28 AM   #5381
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
That was David Prowse? lol... like 30 years, I never knew that was him.
Yep. Honestly, I read through his IMDb looking for anything in my collection not SW just because I've watched those relatively recently and am getting tired of them. When I saw Clockwork was there it was a happy coincidence that I had been wanting to rewatch it. As I looked at his face I could see the man I knew from interviews as an old man.
Old 12-01-2020, 02:43 AM   #5382
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Damn, I'm also surprised that bodyguard was Prowse.

edit -- Just remembered, I've got a Return of the Jedi script-and-materials book and it actually lists Sebastian Shaw as Darth Vader, not David Prowse. I was stunned at the wrong name being there even years ago when I received it, because I knew it was wrong for body and voice both. I'll have to try and find that book and post a picture of the error.

Last edited by Agent Purple; 12-01-2020 at 02:49 AM.
Agent Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 04:14 AM   #5383
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe

https://www.tor.com/2020/11/30/legen...the-age-of-88/

Scientist, Hugo Award winner, and prolific science fiction author and editor Ben Bova passed away on Sunday, November 29, 2020 at the age of 88, Tor.com is able to confirm. The author of more than one hundred books, Bova also edited some of the genre’s best-known publications and served as the president of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America.

Word of Bova’s passing first came from Kathryn Brusco, who revealed that Bova had passed due to complications from COVID-19 and a stroke.
Old 12-01-2020, 04:24 AM   #5384
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Purple View Post
edit -- Just remembered, I've got a Return of the Jedi script-and-materials book and it actually lists Sebastian Shaw as Darth Vader, not David Prowse. I was stunned at the wrong name being there even years ago when I received it, because I knew it was wrong for body and voice both. I'll have to try and find that book and post a picture of the error.
Not sure if you thought Shaw was just a mistake, but in case anyone else isn't aware, that is the actor whose face they used, though, and even his voice for just the unmasked part. Probably some SAG rule that face-seen actors get a credit. [Essentially Vader in the original trilogy was played by 3 actors not including, I believe a stunt man too.]
From his Wookieepedia entry:

Quote:
One of Shaw's more famous roles is his brief but important performance in Return of the Jedi, in which he portrayed a redeemed Anakin Skywalker during the moment aboard DS-2 Death Star II Mobile Battle Station when Luke Skywalker unmasks his dying father. Due to the extreme secrecy demanded by Star Wars creator George Lucas, Shaw knew no details of his part until he was guaranteed to play the role, and was forbidden from discussing it with anyone, even his family and friends, until after the theatrical release. Sebastian Shaw died of natural causes at age 89 in 1994. Ten years later, his image as a Force ghost during the final scene of Return of the Jedi was replaced with that of prequel actor Hayden Christensen for the movie's 2004 DVD re-release. . .
In 1982, Sebastian Shaw was chosen for the brief, but crucial role as Anakin Skywalker in Return of the Jedi, the third and final movie in the original Star Wars trilogy. Although David Prowse played the costumed scenes and James Earl Jones portrayed the voice of Darth Vader, just as they had in the first two films, Shaw was to play a single scene with Mark Hamill, during the moment aboard DS-2 Death Star II Mobile Battle Station when Luke Skywalker unmasks his dying father. Since the scene was arguably the emotional climax of the film, the casting crew wanted an experienced actor for the role. At the time he was approached for the film, Shaw was playing such Shakespearean roles as Charles VI in Henry V and First Gravedigger in Hamlet at London's Barbican Centre. Shaw was familiar with the previous two Star Wars films and enjoyed them particularly for the visual effects, which he described in an interview with science-fiction film magazine Starlog as "brilliant techniques which, in many ways, were revolutionary, something quite new." . .
The unmasking scene lasts two minutes and seven seconds and includes twenty-four words of dialogue spoken by Shaw.

vs. Prowse below:

Last edited by Space Cop; 12-01-2020 at 04:38 AM.
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 04:35 AM   #5385
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
That is the actor whose face they used, though. Probably some SAG rule that face-seen actors get a credit.

vs. Prowse below:

He was the force ghost as well for anakin before changing it to hayden. Theres also a figure from jedi of shaw as him from 84 85

Old 12-01-2020, 04:44 PM   #5386
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
https://deadline.com/2020/11/abby-da...ey-1234635253/

Abby Dalton, an Emmy-nominated actress known for her early roles on such series as comedy-drama Hennessey and The Joey Bishop Show who reenergized her career in the 1980s as a star of the primetime hit soap Falcon Crest, died November 23 in Los Angeles following a long illness. She was 88.

Her death was announced by her spokesperson Sue Procko.
She was very appealing. Two of her shows, Hennesey and The Joey Bishop Show, don't get repeated much. Per IMDB she also appeared in 381 episodes of The Hollywood Squares, which you probably won't get to see either.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 11:38 PM   #5387
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Quote:
Not sure if you thought Shaw was just a mistake, but in case anyone else isn't aware, that is the actor whose face they used, though, and even his voice for just the unmasked part. Probably some SAG rule that face-seen actors get a credit. [Essentially Vader in the original trilogy was played by 3 actors not including, I believe a stunt man too.]
Yeah, I don't think the book mentions that, just lists Shaw in the credits. I dunno where I packed the thing so I can't double-check anyway right now, it'll be some time before I find it. But thanks for clarifying.
Old 12-02-2020, 06:07 PM   #5388
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Pat Paterson of wwe fame died today. Wwe gave a official statement he was 79

Old 12-02-2020, 06:39 PM   #5389
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe

https://www.wwe.com/article/wwe-hall...on-passes-away

WWE is saddened to learn that Pat Patterson has passed away at age 79.

A true trailblazer of the industry, Patterson was linked to many “firsts” in sports-entertainment throughout his storied career, including the first-ever Intercontinental Title reign and the creation of the Royal Rumble Match. In a career spanning six decades, the renaissance man left an indelible mark on the industry in the ring, on the microphone and behind the scenes.
Old 12-02-2020, 07:07 PM   #5390
Space Cop
The Dandy

Watched some old Patterson matches. Most important to me since it's my favorite PPV event, he was the one who thought up the Royal Rumble.

Last edited by Space Cop; 12-02-2020 at 09:40 PM.
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 07:21 PM   #5391
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe

https://www.the-sun.com/news/1899835...-mad-max-dead/

"Hugh Keays-Byrne, an unsung hero of Aussie cinema, has passed away at age 73. I'm continually floored that he played Toecutter, the central antagonist of 1979's MAD MAX *and* Immortan Joe, the central antagonist 2015's MAD MAX: FURY ROAD. Thanks for all the entertainment, sir.

"By all accounts, Hugh Keays-Byrne, who trained at the Royal Shakespeare Company, was an absolutely wonderful human who fought very hard for environmental and humanitarian issues. This photo of him from earlier this year says it all. You will ride eternal, shiny and chrome."

It has not yet been confirmed how the star died.
Old 12-02-2020, 09:40 PM   #5392
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Jesus, that really sucks. Dude had an incredible presence on screen.
Old 12-02-2020, 09:46 PM   #5393
Space Cop
The Dandy

I might have to change my viewing plans again tonight. Loved Toe Cutter.

Old 12-03-2020, 02:28 AM   #5394
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe

https://news.yahoo.com/ex-french-pre...k=tw&tsrc=twtr

Former French president Valery Giscard d'Estaing, who led his country into a new modern era and onto a firmly pro-European path, died late Wednesday of Covid-19, his family said.

Giscard, who had been in hospital several times in the last months for heart problems, died "surrounded by his family" at the family home in the Loire region.

"His state of health had worsened and he died as a consequence of Covid-19," the family said in a statement sent to AFP, adding that his funeral would be strictly private according to his wishes.
Old 12-03-2020, 09:43 PM   #5395
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
I might have to change my viewing plans again tonight. Loved Toe Cutter.

Fun fact, he was supposed to play Martian Manhunter in George Miller's doomed Justice League Mortal. God he would have killed that role. RIP!!!
Old 12-05-2020, 09:57 PM   #5396
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/dav...ey-1234847158/

Actor David Lander, best known as Squiggy on the ABC sitcom “Laverne & Shirley,” died Friday evening at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, his family confirmed to Variety. He was 73.

Lander died of complications related to multiple sclerosis, which he battled for 37 years. Since he went public with his diagnosis in 1999, Lander has worked closely with the National Multiple Sclerosis Society, speaking out about his experience at related conferences.
Old 12-06-2020, 03:26 PM   #5397
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Now I am in the mood to watch the Mad Max movies again. So good.
Old 12-06-2020, 06:08 PM   #5398
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Quote:
https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/dav...ey-1234847158/

Actor David Lander, best known as Squiggy on the ABC sitcom “Laverne & Shirley,” died Friday evening at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, his family confirmed to Variety. He was 73.

Lander died of complications related to multiple sclerosis, which he battled for 37 years. Since he went public with his diagnosis in 1999, Lander has worked closely with the National Multiple Sclerosis Society, speaking out about his experience at related conferences.
My mother is going to be real sad to hear this.
Old 12-07-2020, 09:48 PM   #5399
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/n...ps-1234847869/

Actor Natalie Desselle-Reid, known for her roles in “Madea’s Big Happy Family,” “Eve” and “B*A*P*S*,” died Monday at the age of 53.

Desselle-Reid’s manager, Dolores Robinson, confirmed the news on Twitter.

“Natalie Desselle the beautiful talented actress passed away this morning,” Robinson wrote. “Natalie was a bright light. She was an amazing actress and comedienne but also an awesome mother & wife.”
Old 12-08-2020, 12:29 AM   #5400
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...words-n1250236